Quoted:

Million and one  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I thought the white box was 55gr and the green box was 62. I've seen both types on the shelf at the same time over a few months so I know the white wasn't old stock.  That said the white shot as good as any other cheaper ammo. I did manage to get 1200 rds of it last week

No, it is all 62gr SS109, for the millionth time.

Million and one  

I missed part where someone pulled one and weighed it.  I just thought it was odd the green box says 62 and the white box just says 5.56.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 8:28:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I missed part where someone pulled one and weighed it.  I just thought it was odd the green box says 62 and the white box just says 5.56.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I thought the white box was 55gr and the green box was 62. I've seen both types on the shelf at the same time over a few months so I know the white wasn't old stock.  That said the white shot as good as any other cheaper ammo. I did manage to get 1200 rds of it last week

Million and one  

Actually, the white boxed ammo is stamped:
NATO
STANAG 4172
Which is the NATO designation for the 62gr SS109 cartridge.

The other tip-off is that M193 was never adopted by NATO and is not a NATO round.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 8:37:23 AM EDT
[#3]
The stuff is essentially military production ammo.  ZQI is the ammunition end of Zenith Firearms.  Zenith states their firearms are made by MKE in Turkey.  Turkey is a NATO member.  Why would anyone go to the trouble to gear up to make something other than what they advertise when they can just use excess military production?  Remember, Turkey doesn't have a Clinton Executive Order about military ammunition going to civilians...
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 2:35:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Local WM got 8 boxes in yesterday. Box of 30 was 9.67, its the ss109 62 grain stuff. Figured 80 bucks and change for 240 rounds of a soon to be banned projectile was a fair deal. All the guys standing around the counter started talking about how they just reload their own. I told em' I reload too but with the soon to be ban I couldn't pass it up. No one at the counter had heard that yet. Talk about a disappointed group of uneducated on the subject folks. As for the ammo; its NATO stuff, just as good as you will be if you ever have to use it for what NATO designed it for (practice, target).
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 3:35:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

NATO
STANAG 4172

The other tip-off is that M193 was never adopted by NATO and is not a NATO round.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That makes since. I know I like it, shoots well in several different rifles.

Million and one  

NATO
STANAG 4172

Link Posted: 2/21/2015 6:30:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Bought the ZQ1 ammo at Wal-mart yesterday, 5.56 and 7.62x51.  Hope this is decent stuff, the price sure is right.  

Hking
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 9:07:52 PM EDT
[#7]
The box I shot was all over the target. I wasn't impressed enough to buy anymore.
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 9:43:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Is 7.62x51 in the ZQI, supposed to be banned as well?

Chinook3
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 9:57:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

The box I shot was all over the target. I wasn't impressed enough to buy anymore.
View Quote
Musta been your rifle

Link Posted: 2/21/2015 10:58:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Is there a comparable ammo out there in 7.62 that is priced around this around the ZQ1? I don't have a 7.62 rifle but have Been considering getting rid of a 7mm Sako . I just can't afford ammo for the Sako, Don't really want to, but If I can't afford it, I don't need it
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 10:59:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Is 7.62x51 in the ZQI, supposed to be banned as well?

Chinook3
View Quote

No, the BATF is just removing their exemption for M855 (at this time).
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 11:00:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Is there a comparable ammo out there in 7.62 that is priced around this around the ZQ1? I don't have a 7.62 rifle but have Been considering getting rid of a 7mm Sako . I just can't afford ammo for the Sako, Don't really want to, but If I can't afford it, I don't need it
View Quote

I have not been able to find any brass cased 7.62x51 as cheap as the ZQI. ~.50 cpr before tax

ETA: closest I have found online is Prvi Partizan @ ~.58 cpr.

Link Posted: 2/21/2015 11:03:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I have not been able to find any brass cased 7.62x51 as cheap as the ZQI. ~.50 cpr before tax
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've only sold 1gun ever but it looks like the 7mm is going down the road
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 11:59:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Well shit, I was at Wally World to check for ZQI .556 and it was gone. I ended up buying 38 boxes of .762. It said M 80 and I thought that be similar to the 855. In .308.  Well I hope it shoots good because  I have 760 rounds of it. I bought all they had.  A true neck beard mentality. There was a guy selling .223 ZQI at a gun show today selling it at  $20 per box.  I have a nice Armalite ..308 so I guess I am further ahead. I will just wait for the zombies to show up here Sunday night!

Chinook3
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 12:33:58 AM EDT
[#15]
I've been buying the 7.62x51 whenever I find it too - been buying it for awhile now.  I think you would be hard pressed to find brass cased, boxer primed 7.62x51 anywhere else for less than .50 per round.  It's probably the best deal out there IMO.  It's good stuff.  Earl

Quoted:
Well shit, I was at Wally World to check for ZQI .556 and it was gone. I ended up buying 38 boxes of .762. It said M 80 and I thought that be similar to the 855. In .308.  Well I hope it shoots good because  I have 760 rounds of it. I bought all they had.  A true neck beard mentality. There was a guy selling .223 ZQI at a gun show today selling it at  $20 per box.  I have a nice Armalite ..308 so I guess I am further ahead. I will just wait for the zombies to show up here Sunday night!

Chinook3
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 9:33:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Chinook3
View Quote

Keep an eye on your Walmart(s), the ones here are still receiving the ZQI 5.56.
Ours were all sold out, but yesterday I saw that at least one had gotten some more in.

Rounds similar to M855 would be other rounds loaded with the SS109 bullet or
something like the Carl Gustav 5.56.

The Carl Gustav 5.56 actually fits the definition of AP better than M855.

The ZQI 7.62 is GTG for the price, pretty much everything I have read says it shoots well.
My results have been similar.

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 5:56:24 PM EDT
[#17]
The walmarts around me are sold out of ZQ I 5.56 also. I got the remaining from 4 walmarts last week.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 9:59:58 PM EDT
[#18]
This stuff works well.  My belt fed loves it!!!

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 11:53:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It's 55gr 556. I just shot about 400rds of the 556 and 100rds of 7.62x51. All of it was consistent. The x51 surpassed my expectations.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is this ZQ1 ammo going to be banned? It is not green tipped, confused about what is is

It's 55gr 556. I just shot about 400rds of the 556 and 100rds of 7.62x51. All of it was consistent. The x51 surpassed my expectations.

No. It's 62 gr 5.56 with an SS109 projectile (yes, it has steel inside of it - magnet test). Older stuff is in a white box with no bullet weight markings. Newer is in a pale green box and is marked 62 gr and SS109.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 12:00:28 AM EDT
[#20]
White boxes that I bought have no magnetic tip
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 1:06:40 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote
Interesting? Even before the box change, the only bullet they've advertised selling is SS109 in 5.56. You bought them first hand from Wal-Mart?

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 1:26:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Interesting? Even before the box change, the only bullet they've advertised selling is SS109 in 5.56. You bought them first hand from Wal-Mart?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep, this week
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 1:31:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

yep, this week
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep, this week

Well your magnet sucks because after I saw your post I went and pulled a round at random each from 5 whit ZQI boxes and tested them on three different magnets, and ever magnet suck to every round.

Can we please dear god in heaven put the nonsense about them not being SS109/M855/62gr to bed?
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 1:36:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Well your magnet sucks because after I saw your post I went and pulled a round at random each from 5 whit ZQI boxes and tested them on three different magnets, and ever magnet suck to every round.

Can we please dear god in heaven put the nonsense about them not being SS109/M855/62gr to bed?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep, this week

I want to put it to bed being that I have about 1000 rounds, I want to believe it. Tomorrow I have other magnets I'll give it a shot. Cause I have all white boxes stamped NATO. We'll see
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 1:51:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I want to put it to bed being that I have about 1000 rounds, I want to believe it. Tomorrow I have other magnets I'll give it a shot. Cause I have all white boxes stamped NATO. We'll see
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep, this week

I used a magnet from one of my daughters toys, a screw picked upper thing and a medicine cabinet door magnet.  All attracted.  Keep in mind it has to be a very strong magnet to actually pick it up as it's picking up a lot of weight for the amount of steel and it's pulling through the copper.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 2:00:33 AM EDT
[#26]
I used a magnet from one of my daughters toys, a screw picked upper thing and a medicine cabinet door magnet. All attracted. Keep in mind it has to be a very strong magnet to actually pick it up as it's picking up a lot of weight for the amount of steel and it's pulling through the copper.

I'll find a better magnet tomorrow.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 2:08:56 AM EDT
[#27]
I bought 5 boxes of the 7.62x51 from walmart the associate told me earlier in the morning a person bought all the .223 tula and American eagle

she also said she hasn't seen the zqi 5.56 ammo in awhile
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 2:25:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I bought 5 boxes of the 7.62x51 from walmart the associate told me earlier in the morning a person bought all the .223 tula and American eagle
View Quote

Definitely getting much harder for me, to many rednecks like myself that know. Actually I like it but I'm at around $.37 a round now. I buy it when I see it but I'm past actually looking for it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 2:45:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

I bought 3 boxes of ZQI 5.56 at the Quakertown Walmart  this morning - they had about 2 dozen boxes at 9.97/30 box and an ammo can.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 2:49:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Picked up 10 boxes earlier today from Wal-Mart on the west side of Houston.  Had the largest selection of 5.56 I have seen at a Wal-Mart lately.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 3:20:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Walmart's supplier is all out with no plans for restocking.  I liked this ammunition, it's a shame to see it being pushed out of the market by the ATF.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 5:47:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Walmart's supplier is all out with no plans for restocking.  I liked this ammunition, it's a shame to see it being pushed out of the market by the ATF.
View Quote

Source, please?  ZQI's web site shows that Wal-Mart is their primary retailer.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 5:51:12 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Source, please? ZQI's web site shows that Wal-Mart is their primary retailer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Walmart's supplier is all out with no plans for restocking. I liked this ammunition, it's a shame to see it being pushed out of the market by the ATF.

User Safe1 called them a day or so ago to inquire about getting a pallet.  ZQI stated their warehouses were out of the M855.  They had looked into having some airlifted in so it could arrive before March 16th, but decided not to as the price would be high and risks were up.  Price per round if airlifted in would have been .48/rd - when bought by the pallet.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 6:10:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

User Safe1 called them a day or so ago to inquire about getting a pallet.  ZQI stated their warehouses were out of the M855.  They had looked into having some airlifted in so it could arrive before March 16th, but decided not to as the price would be high and risks were up.  Price per round if airlifted in would have been .48/rd - when bought by the pallet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Walmart's supplier is all out with no plans for restocking. I liked this ammunition, it's a shame to see it being pushed out of the market by the ATF.

Crap.  That's bad news.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 7:14:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Just got home from Wal- Mart in Yreka, CA with 500 rounds of ZQI. Seems like I'm one of the few people up here that really buy ammo from them since they know me by name now, but anyways ZQI is GTG. I've shot a couple hundreds rounds of it and the only problem i had was that one round had the primer blow out but I'll blame that on my gun before the ammo. Buy it up! You don't have long if ATF gets its way.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 8:01:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Douglasville, GA Walfart didn't even have shelf space for 5.56 / .223 ZQI. They did have a couple boxes of the ZQI 7.62.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 8:32:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Check back tomorrow, it will be all gone. You will wish you had bought a bunch. Prices will be headed up after all this ban talk.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:52:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Just got home from Wal- Mart in Yreka, CA with 500 rounds of ZQI. Seems like I'm one of the few people up here that really buy ammo from them since they know me by name now, but anyways ZQI is GTG. I've shot a couple hundreds rounds of it and the only problem i had was that one round had the primer blow out but I'll blame that on my gun before the ammo. Buy it up! You don't have long if ATF gets its way.
View Quote

My uncle lives in Yreka.  Not a 5.56 shooter, though.  I shot quite a few ground squirrels around Yreka when I was younger and still lived in CA.  Some even with an AR (and a Garand and HK91).

Rob
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:26:45 AM EDT
[#39]
went into full panic  mode today at Cabela's, Bought so mush 5.56 that I cant buy food,,,,,,,,,, gonna have to shoot a critter for dinner;l
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 8:21:43 AM EDT
[#40]
My local WM had about 900rds of it yesterday. I bought 150rds of it and left the rest for others. I'll stash it aside and shoot steel cased stuff first.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 9:22:23 AM EDT
[#41]
Just picked up the last 8 boxes on the shelf from the Walmart in Miramar Fl.

Guy at the counter asked if I wanted more as have some in the back.

My wallet said no unfortunately.

Kilo.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:23:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Is the ZQI stuff boxer primed?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:30:43 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:31:11 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View Quote

Yes.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 2:02:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Finally made it to WalMart to look for ZQI.  They had a fair amount of 5.56 in stock, but I didn't pay attention to exactly how much - I'm was in the 7.62 market.  They had 7 boxes of 7.62 - two boxes had broken open, I took the other 5.

I forgot all about the 62gr controversy and to look at the 5.56 to see if it was 62gr.  Greenish box?
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 2:06:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Is there a comparable ammo out there in 7.62 that is priced around this around the ZQ1?
View Quote

Not really.  50cpr is pretty cheap for all brass, even though it's just 145gr blasting stuff.  Comparable ammo is typically closer to 75cpr these days.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:00:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Douglasville, GA Walfart didn't even have shelf space for 5.56 / .223 ZQI. They did have a couple boxes of the ZQI 7.62.
View Quote

I got 20 boxes of the 5.56 at the Cartersville Walmart this morning. There was still another 20 on the shelf.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:26:03 PM EDT
[#48]
ZQ is local to me.

Danny
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:40:39 PM EDT
[#49]
HELP ME UNDERSTAND THIS

I can buy the 30 rd box for .34/shot

I can buy the 720 rd box for .66/shot
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:49:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
HELP ME UNDERSTAND THIS

I can buy the 30 rd box for .34/shot

I can buy the 720 rd box for .66/shot
View Quote

Yep, and a few days ago someone in GD was bragging how they talked a manager into selling one of the cans to them for $430.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Page / 8
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top