Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2016 3:43:32 AM EDT
Don't worry mods, there are more footage of the fixed-handle M4 in this video than anything I've seen  In fact, the only reference of a picatiny rail in the video is a close up of a rifle or what would eventually be the M16A4.

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:28:20 PM EDT
[#1]
So, were the M4A1 lowers mated to A2 handled M4's at some point?  It seemed like some of those firing in FA were actually A2 uppers...  not flat tops.  I thought the A1 was only with flat top M4's.........
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 8:51:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I may be wrong..
But I thought I remember something called an M4 in 1994/5 time frame that did have an A-2 fixed carry handle.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 9:51:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I may be wrong..
But I thought I remember something called an M4 in 1994/5 time frame that did have an A-2 fixed carry handle.
View Quote

That wasn't the question.   There is a difference between M4 lowers and M4A1 lowers.  M4 lowers are 3 round burst.  M4A1 lowers are F/A.   I didn't think the A2 carry handled M4's ever had A1 lowers.  

There were most definitely A2 carry handled M4's in that video.  Along with A1 upper carbines and flat tops.  All three uppers were represented in that video.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 10:05:32 PM EDT
[#4]
great.... now I need to build one of these
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 10:42:28 PM EDT
[#5]
one of those demonstration carbines had an A1 upper with what looked like stainless steel pins neat. At 1:51 whats up with the nut looking thing behind the flash hider? Those grey A2 carbines tho......sigh. (goes for wallet)

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 10:48:41 PM EDT
[#6]
It certainly looks like SAFE-SEMI-AUTO at 1:54. I'd guess these were demo rifles and not standard contract items.

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 1:01:10 AM EDT
[#7]
The video is a Colt advertisement, not a technical document, and geared towards commercial/export sales, not the military, which was already a part of the weapon system's development.  

Colt has long been known to capitalize on military designations that its designs are given for commercial/export cachet value, and they did not waste any time beginning to use "M4 Carbine," if you listen in the beginning, they call it an "M16A2 Carbine" as well.  

As anyone that has tried to make promotional videos, the products used in the videos are often prototypes and early versions scraped together for the video, and do not necessarily look like the final version.  

The Colt R0777 and R0779 were marked "M4/M16A2E," and were fixed A2 carry handle commercial/export weapons that used M4 parts (barrel, castle nut, etc.)--and they were likely the weapons (along with dressed up R0727s and 729s, among others) used in the video.  

Colt ended up not really using the "M4A1" nomenclature commercially until 2012 with the LE6920SOCOM series, the accessory railed R0977 was simply called "M4 Carbine" as well, despite being automatic.

~Augee
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 12:11:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The video is a Colt advertisement, not a technical document, and geared towards commercial/export sales, not the military, which was already a part of the weapon system's development.  

Colt has long been known to capitalize on military designations that its designs are given for commercial/export cachet value, and they did not waste any time beginning to use "M4 Carbine," if you listen in the beginning, they call it an "M16A2 Carbine" as well.  

As anyone that has tried to make promotional videos, the products used in the videos are often prototypes and early versions scraped together for the video, and do not necessarily look like the final version.  

The Colt R0777 and R0779 were marked "M4/M16A2E," and were fixed A2 carry handle commercial/export weapons that used M4 parts (barrel, castle nut, etc.)--and they were likely the weapons (along with dressed up R0727s and 729s, among others) used in the video.  

Colt ended up not really using the "M4A1" nomenclature commercially until 2012 with the LE6920SOCOM series, the accessory railed R0977 was simply called "M4 Carbine" as well, despite being automatic.

~Augee
View Quote

I knew Augee, Coldblue, CombatDiver and other knowledgeable members would weigh in
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 12:20:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I knew Augee, Coldblue, CombatDiver and other knowledgeable members would weigh in
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

~Augee

There have been MULTIPLE threads about the semantics of Colt M4 nomenclature(s). Think the subject has been beaten to death...

Cool video. Good to see 18th Airborne Corp LRS in the video.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 3:41:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

~Augee
View Quote

So to clarify, Military M4's if they weren't A1's were just 3 round burst, correct?  I know you probably tell  me the same things over and over, but I'm getting old.  I forget.  I'm assuming 727's had just normal ole M4 lowers. Eh?  Or maybe not.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 5:16:13 AM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:41:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

So to clarify, Military M4's if they weren't A1's were just 3 round burst, correct?  I know you probably tell  me the same things over and over, but I'm getting old.  I forget.  I'm assuming 727's had just normal ole M4 lowers. Eh?  Or maybe not.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

~Augee

U.S. Carbine, 5.56MM, M4 (Colt model R0920) are S-1-3 FCGs

U.S. Carbine, 5.56MM, M4A1 Colt model R0921/R0921HB) are S-1-F FCGs

Colt model R0727s are commercial/export M16A2 Carbines with M16A2 parts, including a different barrel, receiver extension, receiver extension lock ring, barrel extension, etc. and had S-1-F FCGs and rollmarked "M16A2" in the commercial/export (no Property markings) style.  

Colt model R0729s are the same as above with an S-1-3 FCG.  

Colt model R0777s appear to be the same as above, but a mix-and-match of M4 parts and M16A2 parts, but always fixed carry handle carbines, and at least some, if not all were rollmarked M4/M16A2E in the commercial/export style.  

Colt model R0779 was the same as the above, but with S-1-3 FCGs.  

Colt model R0977s are commercial/export M4 Carbines, and marked as such in the commercial/export style, early ones may or may not have had a mix-match of parts (it's unclear when or how widely the M4/M16A2E rollmark extended), but now are identical to the original R0921 (without the heavy barrel) minus the rollmark, and have an S-1-F FCG.  The R0979 is the S-1-3 variant.  

If you go to Colt's website, you can see their "current" models listed on the product pages if you go to the "Features/Models" tab, where you can get current model numbers and FCG types.  Under "Military," for the M4 Carbine, you see that both U.S. Military models are listed (R0920/R0921) and "International" (AKA: Commercial/Export) models R0977/R0979.  Under "Law Enforcement," only the Commercial/Export model number is listed (along with the LE6920/6921):

http://www.colt.com/Catalog/Military/Products/Colt-M4-Carbine#100844-features--models

http://www.colt.com/Catalog/Law-Enforcement/Products/Colt-Law-Enforcement-Carbine#9718-features--models

~Augee
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 2:25:58 PM EDT
[#13]
in 2007 when i went to boot camp at Benning, we were the last ones to get the m16A4's the next cycles and some others already had the M4's
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 11:22:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Wow, thanks Augee.  I can't believe it never registered with me that 727's were full auto.  I guess there is always something to learn.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 2:43:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Here's another good vintage video for ya!

Vintage Colt M16 Promo Video
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 6:17:20 PM EDT
[#16]
I liked that video.  Those guys doing the shooting must've had tons of fun.  Seemed like some of the A2's had FA lowers on it.  They were cheating.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 7:53:34 PM EDT
[#17]
I have nothing technical to add to this discussion other than to say "god i miss the 90's"! I'm not sure where else you could find that level of cheese, mixed with that voice, that hipshooting action all topped off with some skynet level music in the background.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 9:50:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have nothing technical to add to this discussion other than to say "god i miss the 90's"! I'm not sure where else you could find that level of cheese, mixed with that voice, that hipshooting action all topped off with some skynet level music in the background.
View Quote
https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=VNlcuEGtFrM
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 10:06:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was thinking pretty much the same thing.  In the beginning when they kept going back to the weird colored view of the top of the buildings was making me think they had some ex hippies on the media team or something.   Duuuuuuude.  Funky.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 10:15:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Ost
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 8:54:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Anyone know when Colt switched from the old CAR buffer tube lock ring to the castle nut?  I spotted the CAR ring on a few if not all in the video, it surprised me the rifle they were showing off the "new style" m4 handguards had one on it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 11:55:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Anyone know when Colt switched from the old CAR buffer tube lock ring to the castle nut?  I spotted the CAR ring on a few if not all in the video, it surprised me the rifle they were showing off the "new style" m4 handguards had one on it.
View Quote

I would guess 1994 with the adoption of the M4 and four position receiver extension.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 12:44:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Great video!!
I too miss the 90's, last 'normal' decade info :(

That said, P2A, are you sure on 1993? Looks more like it should be a few years later. 95?
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top