Link Posted: 11/7/2015 11:22:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Interesting.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 12:54:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Very cool idea. Great price.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 1:44:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Strange. I'm going to need to see more. A video of installation and operation would do far more than a few static photos of the uninstalled parts.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 1:46:10 PM EDT
[#4]
If I'm seeing it correctly it pushes to fire from left to right? Seems to be the opposite of other common guns with push button safeties like the 870. Perhaps that works better, I guess I'd have to try one to see. I agree a video of the operation might help.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 2:06:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Interesting to say the least.

Agree that a video would probably help in the decision, although I haven't checked the price yet....
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 5:34:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Cool concept. Like above, a video would be nice.

Cheers
Shannon
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 6:11:26 PM EDT
[#7]
They said it was ambi and from the looks of it I would assume that means it can be installed to work from either side, not that it works from both directions at the same time.  If I am correct then you can install it to push 'off safe' from either side.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 6:43:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They said it was ambi and from the looks of it I would assume that means it can be installed to work from either side, not that it works from both directions at the same time.  If I am correct then you can install it to push 'off safe' from either side.
View Quote

Perhaps. I just only see the detent cuts on one side. Maybe the other side just isn't visible in the photos. I could see it being reversible, not quite ambi.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 3:40:37 AM EDT
[#9]
These are "left push, fire. Right hand push, safe". Counter to any other crossbolt safety so far (all others are push in from RIGHT to disengage). Cool idea, but not seeing it as an "advantage". The M4/AR lever is something that is very common (and ingrained via training), and I fail to see how this is any advantage over it.
But +1 for "outside the box" thinking. It's always nice to have options.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 4:26:12 PM EDT
[#10]
http://youtu.be/Bn7q-mljFMQ
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 7:20:05 PM EDT
[#11]
This new safety - in my opinion - illustrates that while something can be done, doesn't mean it should be done.  This does absolutely nothing to advance the user friendliness of the AR series of long guns. The short throw mirror image safeties on the market, for me, are the pinnacle of safety/selector design for the AR.  The push-button safety in this thread doesn't even come close to the usefulness of the short throw mirror image safety.

cheers

tire iron
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 8:05:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 8:17:33 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Obviously it won't be a product for everyone, but personally, I'm glad companies are pushing forward with new designs.  Just when you think things are played out and the well has run dry, something new comes up.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This new safety - in my opinion - illustrates that while something can be done, doesn't mean it should be done.  This does absolutely nothing to advance the user friendliness of the AR series of long guns. The short throw mirror image safeties on the market, for me, are the pinnacle of safety/selector design for the AR.  The push-button safety in this thread doesn't even come close to the usefulness of the short throw mirror image safety.

cheers

tire iron

Obviously it won't be a product for everyone, but personally, I'm glad companies are pushing forward with new designs.  Just when you think things are played out and the well has run dry, something new comes up.  

Absolutely. I said the same thing in another thread just today.

Link Posted: 11/9/2015 12:58:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Is it spring loaded? I assume the other side is flush like a standard safety, push it once for safe, push it again for fire. Our is it push it to one side for safe, back the other way for fire?

It's a neat design, but only seeing pictures of the unit itself, not installed, it's hard to imagine pushing it with my thumb.

Need pictures of it installed.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 2:19:44 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Is it spring loaded? I assume the other side is flush like a standard safety, push it once for safe, push it again for fire. Our is it push it to one side for safe, back the other way for fire?

It's a neat design, but only seeing pictures of the unit itself, not installed, it's hard to imagine pushing it with my thumb.

Need pictures of it installed.
View Quote

Judging by the detent pocket, it looks like you push one side in for safe, the opposite for fire. Much like an 870 safety.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 6:02:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Looks like a nice safety for the Ares SCR

NVM already has one like this.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 11:05:00 PM EDT
[#17]
So what happens when you happen to bump the safety button against something without realizing it?  Sounds like a bad idea to me.   The standard rotational safety is very hard to disable by accident.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 11:57:53 PM EDT
[#18]
no thanks, I can't see how it is any better than a standard ar safety.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 10:14:14 PM EDT
[#19]
As a lefty I find that both the ambi and regular safeties rub on my finger when on fire, the 45 degree safety is marginally better but still annoying, this would solve that for me.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 2:46:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:  http://youtu.be/Bn7q-mljFMQ
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/15/2015 1:27:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 11:08:25 PM EDT
[#23]
I preordered mine from Rainier Arms, installed it and absolutely loving the eftmann system, i will be converting all mine over to this push button safety
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 11:43:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Just ordered one, this is a great idea.  While I can rock my fast throws, my wife who has mobility issues with her hand and can't...  this will make it where she can shoot right handed again, she is excited.  It's a system she is already familiar with and understands as well.  

Cool guys, thanks

FA
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 12:16:38 PM EDT
[#25]
ooooh, whats it weigh?

Link Posted: 12/3/2015 3:30:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

cheers

tire iron
View Quote

I couldn't disagree more.  You can't get much more user friendly than the push button safety found on most shotguns, rifles, and BB guns.  Most people grew up shooting guns with a safety exactly like this so to claim that this product isn't user friendly is ridiculous.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 11:54:36 AM EDT
[#27]
I also agree that this looks pretty useful.  I'm left handed, and while I haven't had a chance to try any of the shorter throw ambidextrous safeties, I did not have good luck with the ambidextrous safety on the POF P308 I used for a few months.  That was basically a full sized lever on both sides, and I did not like it at all.  I found that the knuckle of my trigger finger would often get caught up on the lever as I tried to disengage the safety with my thumb.  Though I tried to train around the problem, it still bothered me enough that I haven't bothered with an ambidextrous safety on my standard AR.

I like the idea of this push button safety, but am hesitant to adopt it due to the fact that the change in manual of arms may confound my cohorts if they ever need to use my rifle under stress.  I might try it anyway.  They already have their own rifles they should be able to rely on!
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 1:35:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I couldn't disagree more.  You can't get much more user friendly than the push button safety found on most shotguns, rifles, and BB guns.  Most people grew up shooting guns with a safety exactly like this so to claim that this product isn't user friendly is ridiculous.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

cheers

tire iron

I am going to echo this.   This safety isn't TactiCool at all but it works and works great.  My wife simply loves it...  she even said it's like her other safeties, and now she can shoot right handed again.  It took nothing for me to convert to this style safety and I am going to admit I think I like it more than the Noveske / Magpul 60's I have...  I threw one on my toy for kicks and I'm hooked

Link Posted: 12/9/2015 8:06:27 PM EDT
[#29]
So is it reversible?
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 11:04:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Cool rifle!  I hadn't even thought of using this safety with a PDW style stock.  I haven't really heard anybody complain about this, but I always wondered if those stock supports make it a little tougher to operate a standard safety lever, due to their location just above the lever.  Of course that style of stock appears to have no impact on the usefulness of the push button safety.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 5:21:09 PM EDT
[#31]
While this isn't for me personally as I prefer my battle arms short throw I can see this really catching on with ar people once it really gets out there.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 3:45:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Cool rifle!  I hadn't even thought of using this safety with a PDW style stock.  I haven't really heard anybody complain about this, but I always wondered if those stock supports make it a little tougher to operate a standard safety lever, due to their location just above the lever.  Of course that style of stock appears to have no impact on the usefulness of the push button safety.
View Quote

I have large hands and noticed it was a bit of a chore to throw the lever in the collapsed position.  Also two safeties I installed rubbed on the rail, this safety provides a lot of room, and is easy to find.  Over all I really like it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 12:34:18 AM EDT
[#33]
This would be great for predator hunting.  I'll have to hit their booth at SHOT and check it out.

Eric  
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 1:44:36 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
So is it reversible?
View Quote

No. Rainier Arms has a video of it stating it can only be installed one way (due to the detent pockets, which are only on one side).
I MIGHT be interested to try one.... IF they came out with a opposite set up (right push in - fire, as are all other firearm cross bolt safeties). But NOT until then.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 1:32:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

No. Rainier Arms has a video of it stating it can only be installed one way (due to the detent pockets, which are only on one side).
I MIGHT be interested to try one.... IF they came out with a opposite set up (right push in - fire, as are all other firearm cross bolt safeties). But NOT until then.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So is it reversible?

The current method seems more user friendly, as everyone is used to using their thumb to select fire.  Unless you're a lefty, using your trigger finger to select fire would probably require adjusting your grip.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 11:22:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The current method seems more user friendly, as everyone is used to using their thumb to select fire.  Unless you're a lefty, using your trigger finger to select fire would probably require adjusting your grip.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So is it reversible?

I disagree. Since you'll have to get used to a button (vs a lever) anyway, may as well get used to doing as the "standard" way is: right side push = fire. It is an industry standard. I do not feel having to learn a new type of safety, and having the opposite of all other firearms, is of any benefit. If you watch video's of it being used, it is equally as easy to use from either side, so why not do it the "right" way (as every other firearm with a crossbolt uses the tap/safety off, THEN finger on trigger method)? When DISENGAGING a safety, your finger should be NOWHERE near the trigger (which is why push buttons are not a great idea on the right side to "disengage" as that puts your trigger finger in proximity to the trigger, where as a left push disengage puts your finger off the firearm, usually).
Hopefully Elftman will see this and put out a "reversed" (or should I say, "standard") cross bolt version.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 2:40:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Here's another Elftmann safety review to consider, which also covers installing the thing.
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 8:57:17 PM EDT
[#38]
I called Elftmann directly to get a weight for the safety because I'm Doing a LW build. No one answered during operating hours, however I received a call back about an hour later. Some guy named Tony (I think) was super smug with me because I asked him how exactly it was ambi and if I could change the sides in which I push from to make it fire (I'm left handed). He said and I quote, "it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this thing out". I then asked him how much it weighed and he was like "I have no idea, it weighs absolutely nothing. Why do you need to know? It's not like these are going to make your rifle weigh a ton". I let him know I was doing doing a lightweight build. He then told me how my safety I have in my rifle weighs 30x more than this one (because he obviously knows what safety I'm using).  If anyone has ever done a lightweight build they know how every oz/gram matters.

He then tried to tell me to order one of his triggers. I had told him I just bought a Gieselle SD3G ($260ish). He then kept telling me "Wow, I'm sorry" multiple times. Super smug man.

That turned me off to this company completely. Couple a smug, incompetent employee who literally has no business being in a customer service or sales environment to lack of knowledge and horrible sales skills about his OWN product.  Be listing a customer doesn't get them to buy from you, this isn't Gucci. (I'm in sales and marketing business myself)

Beware of calling and asking any questions. Just warning everyone.
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 8:58:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I am going to echo this.   This safety isn't TactiCool at all but it works and works great.  My wife simply loves it...  she even said it's like her other safeties, and now she can shoot right handed again.  It took nothing for me to convert to this style safety and I am going to admit I think I like it more than the Noveske / Magpul 60's I have...  I threw one on my toy for kicks and I'm hooked

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/0d/a5/be/0da5be42eb3fe2600b439e6c6fa5653c.jpg  https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/fc/10/17/fc101734367bf0530cdb96c56362129f.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

cheers

tire iron

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/0d/a5/be/0da5be42eb3fe2600b439e6c6fa5653c.jpg  https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/fc/10/17/fc101734367bf0530cdb96c56362129f.jpg

Can you do us all a favor and weigh this?
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 1:15:33 AM EDT
[#40]
ahrion: Can you do us all a favor and weigh this?

The whole SBR or just the safety?  It'll take a couple days either way, I'll have to get a scale from my buddy.

ETA...  Sorry buddy, I broke my scale being an idiot.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 2:55:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
ahrion: Can you do us all a favor and weigh this?

The whole SBR or just the safety?  It'll take a couple days either way, I'll have to get a scale from my buddy.
View Quote

Just the safety. I wasn't able to get an accurate measurement from one of the employees because he said it weighed "nothing".

Thank you sir.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 3:36:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Exactly Stick!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly Stick!  

I like it. I put a couple thousand rounds at least a week down range back in the early 80s from a 10/22 so the cross bolt is ingrained in my memory. If you figure I did that from about 1979 til about 1983, that's a pretty good number of rounds. The M1 Carbines I shot ( not mine but a couple of friends ) had the push button as well, and of course the 870 shotguns. I went from that to the M14 family ( different system of course but not a lever , just a push - pull through the trigger guard ), and then to the AK and FAL. I never have gotten comfortable with the AR lever system. Sitting here right now I can't tell you which direction safe is. No problem when I'm shooting, but I have to look at it rather than feel it if it's been a couple of days since I shot it. For me, this is a good idea.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 8:58:06 PM EDT
[#43]
60 day rule
Page AR-15 » New AR Products
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top