Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2017 5:44:37 PM EDT
I picked up an upper and it is A1 style sights and a 10.5 or so barrel . I was going to use it for a pistol build . It has a flat handguard retainer and a teardrop FA . I will grab a picture later , But I do not see marks on the bolt or receiver .
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 5:49:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Need good clear pics of all sides, front included. That'll do it.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 6:47:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 6:48:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 6:58:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 8:17:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
I had a GM when I first went in the army . Turns out if you sign up they have loaner guns
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:09:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Is the gas tube hole on the front round or X shaped?
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:26:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Is the gas tube hole on the front round or X shaped?
View Quote
It is round .  I have an old one on a beater gun that is X
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:34:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Round gas tube hole means it's a commercial Upper, made by Sendra or one of its offshoot companies back in the '80's. If you look on the very rear outside edge of the forward assist boss you should see a little tiny bump/tit, another trait of these uppers. They have rear forging flash, sometimes front flash, sometimes not, and are generally black or dark charcoal gray in color. Yours fits the bill. Decent quality, just not USGI.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 12:52:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Hello whiskerz.  I believe all the upper receivers I have seen with the round gas tube hole have had both front and rear forging flash, yours is the first one I recall seeing with no front forging flash.  Since I started paying attention to the shape of arrow heads, all the ones with the round gas tube hole have what I think of as an "open headed" arrow like the one pictured here.  

ETA: whiskerz, could you take some more pictures of that receiver out in the sunlight?  If you have time, I would like to see one from 90 degrees from each side.  

Link Posted: 6/13/2017 9:22:49 AM EDT
[#10]
The arrowhead is closed . I will grab some pictures in better light today
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 9:23:33 PM EDT
[#11]
The tit.

Link Posted: 6/14/2017 9:40:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Does not have the tit .
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 12:38:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Does not have the tit .
View Quote
Interesting! It is most certainly a commercial upper given the round gas tube hole. Nothing wrong with that, it will serve its purpose just as well as a USGI upper.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 11:12:00 PM EDT
[#14]
whiskerz, can you post additional pics just for kicks?  Can you take one of the round gas tube hole area too?

Quoted:

Interesting! It is most certainly a commercial upper given the round gas tube hole. Nothing wrong with that, it will serve its purpose just as well as a USGI upper.
View Quote
ETA: Here's another pic that shows the MrM1A1 famed tit a little better:

Link Posted: 6/15/2017 7:18:47 AM EDT
[#15]
I have an A1 upper that has a x instead of a round hole for the gas tube and its has that tit on it. No flashing on the carry handle and had that almost purple look to it. Ive been trying to figure out for a long time who made it,Other than the tit and no forge codes it basiclly like the other a1 uppers I have.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 11:37:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have an A1 upper that has a x instead of a round hole for the gas tube and its has that tit on it. No flashing on the carry handle and had that almost purple look to it. Ive been trying to figure out for a long time who made it,Other than the tit and no forge codes it basiclly like the other a1 uppers I have.
View Quote
Likely the same mfger, there were some with X shaped gas tube holes as well.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:00:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks guys
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top