Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/10/2013 6:20:05 PM EDT
Hi guys acquired a nice early SP1 02509 early 1966 I am going to sell it even though I would love to keep it but I need to turn it. I'm pretty sure everything is correct to the rifle except for one major component which I'm pretty sure has been replaced for some reason and that is the charging handle which appears to be a later model and not the early triangle shaped one. I would just like some other opinions on a selling price the way it sits. Thanks and as usual I appreciate your comments.

Link Posted: 8/10/2013 6:29:10 PM EDT
[#1]
SP1s never had the triangular charging handle.  

The hammer doesn't have the Colt markings i'm used to seeing.  I'll check mine around the same timeline.  Can you post a pic of the bottom of the carrier?

Appraisals have their own stickied thread at the top of the retro forum. CoC doesn't allow us to talk values outside that thread.
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 6:33:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I won't be able to post a picture of the bottom of the carrier until Monday I have the rifle at the small gun shop I work at part time. I didn't show it in any of these pictures but there is an MP for I assume mag-particle hand engraved on the chrome bolt.
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 6:34:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
SP1s never had the triangular charging handle.  

The hammer doesn't have the Colt markings i'm used to seeing.  I'll check mine around the same timeline.  Can you post a pic of the bottom of the carrier?

Appraisals have their own stickied thread at the top of the retro forum. CoC doesn't allow us to talk values outside that thread.
View Quote

This... Also yummy!
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 6:41:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I won't be able to post a picture of the bottom of the carrier until Monday I have the rifle at the small gun shop I work at part time. I didn't show it in any of these pictures but there is an MP for I assume mag-particle hand engraved on the chrome bolt.
View Quote

yeah, the M P markings on the chrome bolt vary in size and placement.  i don't think it's engraved or stamped but it's permanently marked.
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 6:45:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Is there anyway I can move this post to the appraisal thread I thought I was there and posted here by mistake.
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 7:05:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't mind me just stopping by to say that sp1 is clean. Very nice op.
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 7:36:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Is there anyway I can move this post to the appraisal thread I thought I was there and posted here by mistake.
View Quote

you can just leave the post here as an informational/question thread.  you can post in the appraisal thread as well.  don't think the mods will mind as this thread does have an educational purpose.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 7:40:11 PM EDT
[#8]
i checked my hammer on my 2 3xxx serials and the hammer has a circle spot on the hammer.  the earlier ones were marked with the E in the C and later ones were notched with a number in the C.  

there's probably enough variation in them.  all the other signs point to it being original.

the bolt carrier looks correct.  i looked at your pics again and it shows the tail being a little shorter than a M16 but longer than the later SP1 spec.

from the pics i've seen, i'd feel comfortable saying it's original.
Link Posted: 8/11/2013 3:46:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Nice looking rifle.
Link Posted: 8/11/2013 5:15:59 AM EDT
[#10]
hey op, ill send you the updated buffer those old ones are garbage send it to me and ill dispose of it properly .
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 5:38:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't want to misrepresent this rifle people here know a hell of a lot more about them then me. Anyway I took the fire control parts out and looks like the trigger which I didn't take out ompletely is open on the back M16 disconnector also appears to be M16 and I just don't know enough about the hammer maybe appears to be early AR no markings at all on all parts.I took a few more of the BCG and the crude MP can be seen on the chrome bolt.

Link Posted: 8/12/2013 8:46:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Very nice!

You should post the info/details of it in the SP1 data base: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_123/304266_.html

I have SP 026xx & was told by Colt it is a 1965 model, so yours would be earlier than 1966. A early 1965 by this chart: http://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/ar15serial.html
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 8:52:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Oh wow~! Wish I had OP's problem!  

No way would I ever sell that once i had it.... Nope. No. Not. Never.
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 4:54:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Definately has some M16 fire control parts in there that will need to be swapped out.

Other than that, it looks like a very clean 1965 (my birth year) SP1.

I would love to own such a rifle. Some day.
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 5:37:14 AM EDT
[#15]
I've been emailed by a couple that said they have seen early 65 and 66 with m16  fire control parts , anyone else? I guess the rifle is a 1965 and I was wrong on 1966.
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 6:50:09 AM EDT
[#16]
What's up with the "+" on the receiver under the ejection port?
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 7:19:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What's up with the "+" on the receiver under the ejection port?
View Quote

common on early SP1s since they shared the early forgings with the 601/602.  they also showed up on partial fence lowers as well.
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 9:25:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Very nice!

You should post the info/details of it in the SP1 data base: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_123/304266_.html

I have SP 026xx & was told by Colt it is a 1965 model, so yours would be earlier than 1966. A early 1965 by this chart: http://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/ar15serial.html
View Quote

..yep!  My serial is SP 048XX and it's also of 1965 manufacture..
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 10:47:38 AM EDT
[#19]
The rifle is going to another lucky guy pending funds.
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 8:32:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I've been emailed by a couple that said they have seen early 65 and 66 with m16  fire control parts , anyone else? I guess the rifle is a 1965 and I was wrong on 1966.
View Quote

checked my SP1s serial 4xxx and below.  they all have the full auto trigger and disconnector.  my later SP1s (5xxx up to 200xxx) went to the half disconnector.

all my hammers had the circle and the early ones marked with the E in a C but seeing as how everything else is looking right, it's within the realm of possibility it's original and untouched.

there were a lot of changes in the first 1000 like dimpled pivot pins, transitional bolt catches.  other early features carried on for a little longer like dimpled selectors, + on the lower, carbon steel and stainless steel early bend gas tubes, no drainhole handguards, thin pistol grips etc...
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 7:03:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Beautiful rifle.
And as far as I can see, all correct.  I have 18xx and you can compare your parts to my photos in this thread.  Of course, M1Sniper has the gold standard of early SP1s (unfired in the original box).  His is what many of us use as a definitive reference piece for SP1s from this general, early era.

Without offering a value, if you're really interested in selling, you may maximize your price by listing it on gunbroker and letting the market set the price.  I'm sure you'd have plenty of interested bidders.
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 7:42:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Beautiful rifle.
And as far as I can see, all correct.  I have 18xx and you can compare your parts to my photos in this thread.  Of course, M1Sniper has the gold standard of early SP1s (unfired in the original box).  His is what many of us use as a definitive reference piece for SP1s from this general, early era.

Without offering a value, if you're really interested in selling, you may maximize your price by listing it on gunbroker and letting the market set the price.  I'm sure you'd have plenty of interested bidders.
View Quote

does your hammer have any markings on it?  

the rifle did sell on the EE already
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 9:38:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Beautiful rifle.

So it did!  That's what I get for taking a vacation--there's always an interesting thread I miss out on!  
I think the buyer got a very nice rifle for his money.

And no, I believe my hammer is smooth on both sides.
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 9:46:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

So it did!  That's what I get for taking a vacation--there's always an interesting thread I miss out on!  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Beautiful rifle.

my 2 really early ones have the E in a C like the cast FSBs.  then my other 4 digits have a circle cast in but no marks.  i do have an early 4 digit with an unmarked hammer so i think that those must have been used for a little while if we have 3 examples with them.

i think i may have influenced the sales price with my appraisal but the buyer did get a really nice early sp1 for a fair price.
Link Posted: 8/16/2013 7:18:45 AM EDT
[#25]
I appreciate all the input I received here it was very helpful and informative. The buyer new these early rifles very well and was pleased with the price as they're. Far and few between. I really love these early black rifles and am sure I'll regret turning this one but at least. I got to fondle it!! It is going to someone that really appreciates it.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top