Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/7/2010 11:52:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By coctailer:
One of these days I'll get around to putting mine on.

+1
Link Posted: 2/7/2010 12:22:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By crackedcornish:
Originally Posted By coctailer:
One of these days I'll get around to putting mine on.

+1

Me too.  Did this get un-tacked?
Link Posted: 2/7/2010 2:10:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, why is it untacked now?
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 7:02:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: coctailer] [#4]
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 10:37:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Awesome - thanks for keeping it around.
Link Posted: 2/11/2010 6:31:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Just finished my 607 lower tonight. Now I need the flash hider, cut the barrel and a tax stamp.

GVS
Link Posted: 2/11/2010 6:33:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks like a wave of 607's are coming.
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 11:06:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Going to start drilling today.  Thanks for this guide!
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 11:53:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By OlSarge2K:
Going to start drilling today.  Thanks for this guide!

Good Luck with the project....and keep us updated
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 12:00:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I tried to drill a test hole (rear lower hole) on an ArmaLite A2 lower.
I had modified a Model1 lower block by bolting a piece of metal on top of the block to hold the lower steady.
Something happened to either the lower block or the clamp.
End result was the endmill snagged the edge of the lower and milled a large hole in the takedown detent spring channel.
I'm glad I toasted an ArmaLite A2 lower instead of my NoDak lower.
I was able to "repair" the lower by tapping what was left of the channel and cutting the detent spring in half.
A set screw now holds the "custom" spring in place.
It looks nasty, but will be functional.
I ordered a CNC jig to hold my NDS-601 lower steady while I drill the rear lower hole needed for pinning on a 607 buttstock.
Hopefully I'll get it sometime next week.
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 12:41:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hal143] [#11]
Originally Posted By TexSquirrel:
I tried to drill a test hole (rear lower hole) on an ArmaLite A2 lower.
I had modified a Model1 lower block by bolting a piece of metal on top of the block to hold the lower steady.
Something happened to either the lower block or the clamp.
End result was the endmill snagged the edge of the lower and milled a large hole in the takedown detent spring channel.
I'm glad I toasted an ArmaLite A2 lower instead of my NoDak lower.
I was able to "repair" the lower by tapping what was left of the channel and cutting the detent spring in half.
A set screw now holds the "custom" spring in place.
It looks nasty, but will be functional.
I ordered a CNC jig to hold my NDS-601 lower steady while I drill the rear lower hole needed for pinning on a 607 buttstock.
Hopefully I'll get it sometime next week.

ouch   Make sure to use a center punch or something to create a starter indent for the bit.  If needed.

Our first attempt at drilling the rear takedown detent hole resulted in a little bit wandering.  Not enough to do any damage thankfully.  Then we used the  punch to make an indent for the bit and it went smooth from there, varying the pressure to keep the bit straight.

Link Posted: 2/26/2010 3:06:33 PM EDT
[#12]
My problem was trying to deepen the rear hole with the endmill.
I'll make sure I use a center punch for the small roll pin hole.
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 3:43:23 PM EDT
[#13]
I used a center punch and drill a starter hole with a smaller bit. I drilled thur the outside of the take down spring hole. I then used the 1/8/ drill and had no problem drilling it.

GVS
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 2:20:58 AM EDT
[#14]
I am mentally and emotionally drained after mounting this bad boy.  Even though my buddy did all the hard work.... ;)  

This is such an amazing stock.  The attention to detail and craftsmanship that went into it is incredible.  Taking it apart and mounting it to a lower really made me appreciate the r+d, and hardwork that went into MY65SPAN's stock.....

Anyway.... off to bed.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 10:43:24 AM EDT
[#15]
How are people choosing to finish the metal on MY65SPAN's stock?
Was considering park'ing the lower rod assy. but since I can't disassemble it, not sure how that would turn out.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 12:15:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By SgtRock2:
Was considering park'ing the lower rod assy. but since I can't disassemble it, not sure how that would turn out.

Why can't you dis-assemble it? Just take the lever screw and buttplate screw out, pull off the lever and buttplate, and then pull the locking tube out the front of the stock body. At this point you can partially extend the locking tube to reach the set screw that secures the locking pin. The set screw is in the end of the inner locking rod. Once you loosen the set screw just pull out the pin and slide the rod out of the tube being careful not to lose the detent ball and spring.
I hope this helps.
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 6:24:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: xlr8shn] [#17]
AWESOME instructions!

I plan to put one on an AR10A2 and locate or make some midlength triangular handguards...
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 10:34:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TexSquirrel] [#18]
Well my CNC jig finally came in so I gave it another try.
(This time on my NDS-601 lower)
I got the lower bolted into the jig, and put it in my drill press vise.
I took the belt off my drill press and turned it by hand.
It took about 15 minutes for me to get it to the depth I wanted. (.365)
I've got a couple of new blisters on my right hand now.
I cut off the aluminum rod with my bandsaw about 1/16 too long and used a file to get the rod to the exact length I wanted.
The stock now fits perfectly.
I decided I'd save the drilling of the hole that holds the rod for another day.
I'm pretty tired from working overtime and want to make sure I do a good job..
Hopefully I'll get a chance tomorrow to drill it.
If not it will be a couple of weeks before I get to complete it.

This is an awesome stock.
If I could keep my eyes open I'd head back outside and finish the job!
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 11:46:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By my65pan:
Originally Posted By SgtRock2:

Why can't you dis-assemble it? Just take the lever screw and buttplate screw out, pull off the lever and buttplate, and then pull the locking tube out the front of the stock body. At this point you can partially extend the locking tube to reach the set screw that secures the locking pin. The set screw is in the end of the inner locking rod. Once you loosen the set screw just pull out the pin and slide the rod out of the tube being careful not to lose the detent ball and spring.
I hope this helps.

Totally missed seeing the set screw, thanks......
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 7:02:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: my65pan] [#20]
Well my CNC jig finally came in so I gave it another try.
(This time on my NDS-601 lower)
I got the lower bolted into the jig, and put it in my drill press vise.
I took the belt off my drill press and turned it by hand.
It took about 15 minutes for me to get it to the depth I wanted. (.365)
I've got a couple of new blisters on my right hand now.
I cut off the aluminum rod with my bandsaw about 1/16 too long and used a file to get the rod to the exact length I wanted.
The stock now fits perfectly.
I decided I'd save the drilling of the hole that holds the rod for another day.
I'm pretty tired from working overtime and want to make sure I do a good job..
Hopefully I'll get a chance tomorrow to drill it.
If not it will be a couple of weeks before I get to complete it.

This is an awesome stock.
If I could keep my eyes open I'd head back outside and finish the job!

Aluminum rod?
Glad the install is going well, keep us posted.

Totally missed seeing the set screw, thanks......

No problem.
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 8:33:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Aluminum rod?

Steel rod.
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 8:41:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Aluminum rod?

Steel rod.

I had to get a magnet & check - I thought my mind had gone the rest of the way down the drain!
Link Posted: 6/14/2010 5:13:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for the info - I will see how I do this weekend
Link Posted: 6/14/2010 5:27:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: my65pan] [#24]
Originally Posted By JC_:
Thanks for the info - I will see how I do this weekend

Just take your time and go slow. I don't recommend trying to do the locking rod hole like Hals gunsmith did though, he must have balls of steel. I like TexSqirrels slow and by hand method much better if you don't have access to a milling machine etc.

This method scares me for a lot of reasons.

Link Posted: 6/15/2010 8:25:54 AM EDT
[#25]
I just got the loaner end mill in the mail, I think Friday or Saturday, and the above method os what I plan on doing.

Maybe.
Link Posted: 6/15/2010 9:27:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Hal143] [#26]
I left it up to my GS to decide how he wanted to do it.

I think the end result speaks for itself.  Though I would have used a press, the hole was factory perfect.

Link Posted: 8/5/2010 11:54:36 PM EDT
[#27]
This is to good to let archive . BTT
Link Posted: 10/24/2012 3:21:47 AM EDT
[#28]
bump
Link Posted: 7/7/2013 10:42:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Keeping it active...

Link Posted: 7/8/2013 12:08:38 AM EDT
[#30]
I think I remember seeing this thread, and was just mystified by the stock.
Link Posted: 7/8/2013 4:41:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Any sources for 607 stocks at this point?
Link Posted: 7/8/2013 6:15:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Dawg180:

i thought the guy that last made them was getting ready to start back up??
Link Posted: 7/9/2013 12:56:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ar15guy] [#33]
Originally Posted By Dawg180:

Can't provide any insight about the availability of working 607 versions.  I was fortunate to be contacted by a member that was selling a "New In Wrap" bolt-on TSI 607 stock assembly when I was building my dedicated 22lr 607.  

A fellow retro member (braceman) made a fixed (closed) 607 style version for me.  I sent the raw metal and RRA entry length buffer tube to John Thomas for anodizing.  It turned out pretty darn nice.  More info and detailed pictures here: Building a prototype "fixed" 607 style butttock assembly

Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:28:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Bumping this 607 stock's  modification of receiver  How To , so it doesn't get lost in the archives.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:34:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By kudzunc:
Bumping this 607 stock's  modification of receiver  How To , so it doesn't get lost in the archives.
View Quote
I think its tacked?, so we should be ok, but good looking out!

I didn't know this was on the forum, I just thought it was on RBR. Im glad it is on here as I have a little to add to the subject. 

First, Thanks to Hal143 for taking the time to put this together. I actually used this method the first time I did an install. 

I have learned a few time consuming, (and at least one expensive) lesson in the 20 or so Ive installed. I would like to share a little of that here.

If using this method (non-threaded) do not install the rod with the stock open. You run the risk of the tube not locking when closed. Always pin the rod in place from the closed and locked position. It is a good Idea to mount the receiver where the locking pin is held down by gravity. If your lever does slip out of time after instal, no problem, just remove the lever plug mark and re-pin it.

I mentioned above threading... not to many folks knew about threading these early on. One of our members was able to come across a rear section of an original, and another was able to get pics of one in a museum. With this info, a few of us have done threaded installs. I myself, will never do it any other way, I believe it makes it easier to install. 

Here is a video explaining a threaded install. Not instructions but the jist of how it works, disregard everything after 9 min. 

-Matt

607 Stock

Video

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:44:38 PM EDT
[#36]
It's outstanding how you have taken the 607 stock to the next level.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:08:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Hal143:
It's outstanding how you have taken the 607 stock to the next level.
View Quote
Thanks Hal, I have a few new mods in upcoming stocks, and other parts that will make them even closer to the real deal!

Matt
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:34:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By live4nov:
I think its tacked?, so we should be ok, but good looking out!

I didn't know this was on the forum, I just thought it was on RBR. Im glad it is on here as I have a little to add to the subject. 

First, Thanks to Hal143 for taking the time to put this together. I actually used this method the first time I did an install. 

I have learned a few time consuming, (and at least one expensive) lesson in the 20 or so Ive installed. I would like to share a little of that here.

If using this method (non-threaded) do not install the rod with the stock open. You run the risk of the tube not locking when closed. Always pin the rod in place from the closed and locked position. It is a good Idea to mount the receiver where the locking pin is held down by gravity. If your lever does slip out of time after instal, no problem, just remove the lever plug mark and re-pin it.

I mentioned above threading... not to many folks knew about threading these early on. One of our members was able to come across a rear section of an original, and another was able to get pics of one in a museum. With this info, a few of us have done threaded installs. I myself, will never do it any other way, I believe it makes it easier to install. 

Here is a video explaining a threaded install. Not instructions but the jist of how it works, disregard everything after 9 min. 

-Matt

607 Stock

Video

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/356967/IMG-3969-216528.JPG
View Quote
A big thanks to Hal143 for seeding a great giving tree of knowledge thread.  Plus everyone who added their experiences and  kept their photos  online for close to decade. Enriching the retro community with information not easily found elsewhere.

When I found the post  on the last page, ether as the last post or the second to last post, it didn't have a tacked symbol,  nor appeared as a sticky.  So I bumped out of fear.   In rereading, I see on the second page coctailer had set the post's  toggle to keep it from being archived by the system. I hope that survived through  the new AR15.com design roll out.

With other people watching out it has remained in the active section for 8 years, 4 months, and 9 days(as of 5/27/2017).   A total of 3,052 days. days and counting

How does that song from the musical "Rent go?
 .... 4,393,440 minutes   so dear  How do you measure - measure a year?
In retro - in clones
In P.I.F.s - in lots of cosmo
In millimeter - in tig thickness feeder
In modified receivers - with position locks
How do you mill the 607 stocks....
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top