User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 20
Link Posted: 6/22/2013 7:52:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By twokitties:
I just bought a new lower, it was listed as "other" then "receiver". I now have it listed on my pistol permit. Is it now and forever a pistol?

Under Federal law you can build it as a pistol, then convert it to a rifle, then back to pistol.  I have no idea what NY law says about the matter though.
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 11:51:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Looking for a 7.5" barrel. Anyone know of any places that have them in stock?
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 4:28:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Robert_allen:
Looking for a 7.5" barrel. Anyone know of any places that have them in stock?

Check Firearmss4Less:

http://www.firearms4less.com/3_black-rain-ordnance
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 11:11:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Hey shooters,

I am brand new to this forum, and I'm looking for some information that I hope someone here can help me find.  I recently bought a fire-breathing Rock River LAR-15 with a 7" barrel.  I am wondering if there is a special type of .223 ammunition available for SBR's that reduces the amount of flash produced by the excess powder.  Any help answering this question would be greatly appreciated!  

(Also, I'd love to put a picture or two of my new toy up here if someone can help me figure out that process as well!)
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 1:47:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Kind of a mad scientist idea here. Has anyone ever heard of, thought of, or submitted a design to the ATF in which an AR with an OAL exceeding 26" with a barrel under 16" had a vertical grip attached to the buffer and trigger linkage in a "reverse bullpup" configuration in which a shooter would have the added control of not feeling the BCG and buffer weight behind their wrist during fire? I'm also wondering if it was built as a "drop in" configuration if it would be acceptable for a pistol under 26". My other design idea would involve removing the factory pistol grip completely. Then using the factory grip screw have part of the linkage system completely enclose the trigger and using a magwell grip. (known to be acceptable on pistols)
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 1:57:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Behold the end all parts directory http://www.slickguns.com/coupons the only user friendly dealer directory I know of
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 9:18:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By HuntingNation:
Hey shooters,

I am brand new to this forum, and I'm looking for some information that I hope someone here can help me find.  I recently bought a fire-breathing Rock River LAR-15 with a 7" barrel.  I am wondering if there is a special type of .223 ammunition available for SBR's that reduces the amount of flash produced by the excess powder.  Any help answering this question would be greatly appreciated!  

(Also, I'd love to put a picture or two of my new toy up here if someone can help me figure out that process as well!)

Guessing this thread isn't the place for your question, but Welcome. Not sure on ammo, but check out the Noveske KX3 muzzle device, it effectively sends much of the noise forward and pretty well eats the fireball (why so many of us have them on our AR pistols, besides them looking badass...).
Link Posted: 8/10/2013 12:05:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Here is a question for ya.....let's say you are building a RIFLE on a tight....tight budget.....

In scrounging around parts you got everything together....including a 14.5 " barrel with pinned brake totaling 16"....with complete upper...bolt and carrier....lower and parts kit...

However.....all you had for a stock was a PISTOL buffer tube.....and being the inventive type....and a cheapskate....you just worked with what you had....and came up with this...

It's kydex molded over a aluminum skeleton.(not complete yet....not welded and no tension screws)

The question: Would it be illegal to have this in your possession....if you owned a pistol too?

If the answer is yes.....could you epoxy or pin it to the pistol buffer tube and be OK?

Not sure if this is the place for this type of question....and I do have a inquiry sent to the Virginia State Police.....but I saw some legal issues raised here...and thought I'd ask.
Link Posted: 8/17/2013 4:28:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JoshAston:
It doesn't matter what the receiver is marked.  If it is not a complete long gun or complete pistol the 4473 should be marked as other.  What is marked on the 4473 is also of no consequence to you when you go to build that lower into a complete firearm.  They could have marked it rifle, if that receiver has never been built as a rifle then you are perfectly legal in building it into a pistol, regardless of the 4473 being marked rifle.
View Quote

The term "LIFER" now sets well with me. Excellent info man cleared up alot of confusion in regard to my build. Most appreciative. Is there a link or some screenshots of the actual BATF letters providing these facts one could download then print and have on hand if ever the occurrence with LEO went a more ill informed negative route? Many thanks.
Link Posted: 8/17/2013 9:05:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Ki777UMiNATi:

The term "LIFER" now sets well with me. Excellent info man cleared up alot of confusion in regard to my build. Most appreciative. Is there a link or some screenshots of the actual BATF letters providing these facts one could download then print and have on hand if ever the occurrence with LEO went a more ill informed negative route? Many thanks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
It doesn't matter what the receiver is marked.  If it is not a complete long gun or complete pistol the 4473 should be marked as other.  What is marked on the 4473 is also of no consequence to you when you go to build that lower into a complete firearm.  They could have marked it rifle, if that receiver has never been built as a rifle then you are perfectly legal in building it into a pistol, regardless of the 4473 being marked rifle.

Most of them are right here.
Link Posted: 8/18/2013 1:17:01 AM EDT
[#11]

View All Quotes

Thanks for the help man \o/
Link Posted: 8/18/2013 1:32:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: November5] [#12]
nvm, reading comprehension fail.
Link Posted: 8/18/2013 1:51:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: OhShoot] [#13]
Originally Posted By Echo2:
Here is a question for ya.....let's say you are building a RIFLE on a tight....tight budget.....

In scrounging around parts you got everything together....including a 14.5 " barrel with pinned brake totaling 16"....with complete upper...bolt and carrier....lower and parts kit...

However.....all you had for a stock was a PISTOL buffer tube.....and being the inventive type....and a cheapskate....you just worked with what you had....and came up with this...

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y484/echo26c/kydexstock_zps38753e88.jpg

It's kydex molded over a aluminum skeleton.(not complete yet....not welded and no tension screws)

The question: Would it be illegal to have this in your possession....if you owned a pistol too?

If the answer is yes.....could you epoxy or pin it to the pistol buffer tube and be OK?

Not sure if this is the place for this type of question....and I do have a inquiry sent to the Virginia State Police.....but I saw some legal issues raised here...and thought I'd ask.
View Quote

The answer is , as long as it has a legal use, it's okay.

The "constructive possession" thing was settled by SCOTUS in 1992 to mean "a collection of parts in close proximity that have no useful purpose OTHER than to make an NFA firearm". Having such a collection means you have made an NFA weapon, no "intent" or actual assembly necessary. If there is another legal use for a part or parts, you have not.

Pretty simple when out and about, but since "close proximity" is not defined anywhere, I think of anywhere on my property as "close enough". In other words, simply don't own any part that doesn't have a legal use. In the case of AR pistols (full auto/suppressor aside) this will only come down to a stock or vertical forward grip. Multiple stocks/grips are not a prob, as they are just spare parts, though logically you'd be baiting the bear to be out and about with an AR rifle, an AR pistol, and an extra stock or vertical grip.

And no, a "pistol" buffer is not an absolute out if you have a stock with no legal use, as "attachable" is not defined either, and duct tape or just bracing it might suffice if for some reason you happened to be the axe they wanted to grind.

In short, if I only owned an AR pistol, I wouldn't also own a stock period. Or a VFG unless the heater is legal 26" OAL.

- OS

Link Posted: 8/18/2013 7:39:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By OhShoot:

The "constructive possession" thing was settled by SCOTUS in 1992 to mean "a collection of parts in close proximity that have no useful purpose OTHER than to make an NFA firearm". Having such a collection means you have made an NFA weapon, no "intent" or actual assembly necessary. If there is another legal use for a part or parts, you have not.

Pretty simple when out and about, but since "close proximity" is not defined anywhere, I think of anywhere on my property as "close enough". In other words, simply don't own any part that doesn't have a legal use. In the case of AR pistols (full auto/suppressor aside) this will only come down to a stock or vertical forward grip. Multiple stocks/grips are not a prob, as they are just spare parts, though logically you'd be baiting the bear to be out and about with an AR rifle, an AR pistol, and an extra stock or vertical grip.

And no, a "pistol" buffer is not an absolute out if you have a stock with no legal use, as "attachable" is not defined either, and duct tape or just bracing it might suffice if for some reason you happened to be the axe they wanted to grind.

In short, if I only owned an AR pistol, I wouldn't also own a stock period. Or a VFG unless the heater is legal 26" OAL.

- OS

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By OhShoot:
Originally Posted By Echo2:

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y484/echo26c/kydexstock_zps38753e88.jpg

- OS

Thank you Sir.....That's almost verbatim what the VASP said. He said "Glock stocks" are intended to turn a pistol into a SBR, and there was no real other reason for them....as to where the kydex piece is to use a specialized buffer tube....and as long as it was not installed on a pistol....he didn't see where it would be an issue. He did also point out that for $40 or so bucks....why risk the interpretation?.
Link Posted: 11/30/2013 8:54:04 PM EDT
[#15]
OK, I have a question in regards to the front vertical grip. I know you can't add on a grip or its an AOW, and you are in trouble. I also understand that most people just use the magwell for a grip.

So here is my question:

What about the "add on" grippy things that turn your magwell into a grip? Legal or no?

For the record, I do not currently own an ar-pistol, but a friend and I were talking about them today and he asked me what I thought. I have no idea, so I came here
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 10:05:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Why do I get a "404 error file not found" message on EVERY pic I try to view here??   ALL of them, not just a scattered one here or there.................

Deadeye95            (2013)
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 10:11:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Explanation:
The above  "reply" was to a post from back in 2004.   I don't know if technology changed or if I still don't know what I am doing in using a computer, which is very likely considering my advanced age, but all of the posted links to pic, not the pics, but links all resulted in this error message.   I did not mean for it to show up on page 35.  I realize that not many folks are looking at the very first pages in this thread but some do, like me, and I was just wondering why I cannot get to view any of these old links.   Thanx
Deadeye95
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 10:46:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Because the old links are dead, people delete the photos from their photo hosting accounts to make room for more recent stuff, they stop using that account and eventually it gets removed, etc.
Link Posted: 12/25/2013 11:41:33 PM EDT
[#19]
it's...... very beautiful collection of AR 15.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 5:18:24 PM EDT
[#20]

11.5" barrel pistol with OAL over 26"
Sig brace
VFG

Legal?  Any letters covering the Sig brace with a VFG?
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 1:56:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Looking down the barrel from which end??
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 2:53:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By m6z:

Sig brace
VFG

View Quote

26.25 inches oal from end of buffer tube to end of threads of the barrel. I am thinking about the kak tube just for a couple extra inches

Link Posted: 1/4/2014 8:05:40 PM EDT
[#23]
KAK Sig brace tube and QD end plate. The QD end plate will NOT work with the Magpul MS3 QD sling.... The spacer part of the tube is to big and gets in the way. Just a heads up! Other than that I like it alot!
Link Posted: 2/3/2014 9:33:19 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

New member here and I've been searching the forum for answers and seem to have found what Im looking for. I purchased a Spikes stripped lower and had it sent to a local FFL dealer. On the form 4473 they asked me whether it was going to be used as a pistol or rifle. At that time I told them it would be built as a rifle. Now Im finally getting around to start the build and I would rather  build it as a pistol and they're telling me that it has to be built as a rifle and cannot be a pistol. I just want to clarify and want it to be legal. So I should be fine to build as a pistol regardless of what they marked, correct? It has not been touched or assembled.
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 10:59:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Evile:

26.25 inches oal from end of buffer tube to end of threads of the barrel. I am thinking about the kak tube just for a couple extra inches

<a href="http://s.photobucket.com/user/x2122/media/Guns/photo_zpsyuqhltmw.JPG.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v508/x2122/Guns/photo_zpsyuqhltmw.JPG</a>
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Evile:
Originally Posted By m6z:

Sig brace
VFG

<a href="http://s.photobucket.com/user/x2122/media/Guns/photo_zpsyuqhltmw.JPG.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v508/x2122/Guns/photo_zpsyuqhltmw.JPG</a>

Is that legal with the front grip?
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 11:08:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Powerstroke10:

New member here and I've been searching the forum for answers and seem to have found what Im looking for. I purchased a Spikes stripped lower and had it sent to a local FFL dealer. On the form 4473 they asked me whether it was going to be used as a pistol or rifle. At that time I told them it would be built as a rifle. Now Im finally getting around to start the build and I would rather  build it as a pistol and they're telling me that it has to be built as a rifle and cannot be a pistol. I just want to clarify and want it to be legal. So I should be fine to build as a pistol regardless of what they marked, correct? It has not been touched or assembled.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Powerstroke10:

I may be wrong. I probably am wrong but I was in the exact position as you and i decided to play it safe

I bought another lower for $49
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:52:43 AM EDT
[#27]
If I have read and understood all that has been posted, then I can use my M&P bare receiver that I purchased to build as a pistol? With that said, I will need to keep it as a pistol for as long as I own it. That would be a correct statement, no?

Michael
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 9:23:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Was this M&P stripped lower purchased new or did it come from a former rifle?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:59:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Trying to decipher this from what I thought I half knew in the past. I bought a stripped lower last June, I don't recall how the 4473 was marked but I have only installed an LPK in it so far but ready to finish it. Sounds like it doesn't matter how it was marked and I can build it as a pistol?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:00:10 AM EDT
[#30]

Originally Posted By outrage9:

Trying to decipher this from what I thought I half knew in the past. I bought a stripped lower last June, I don't recall how the 4473 was marked but I have only installed an LPK in it so far but ready to finish it. Sounds like it doesn't matter how it was marked and I can build it as a pistol?
View Quote
As long as it has never been configured as a rifle, you're gtg with making a pistol...

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:26:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By AlabamaPaul:
As long as it has never been configured as a rifle, you're gtg with making a pistol...  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AlabamaPaul:
Originally Posted By outrage9:

Never has had an upper of any kind on it. I considered building as a deer rifle and a 6.8 but thinking a truck gun makes more sense and sounds like more fun. Has an lpk and grip on it. Now to find an upper, thinking 10.5"....

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:44:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By zx9rt1texas:
If I have read and understood all that has been posted, then I can use my M&P bare receiver that I purchased to build as a pistol? With that said, I will need to keep it as a pistol for as long as I own it. That would be a correct statement, no?

Michael
View Quote

If you build it as a pistol first you can switch back and forth to a rifle at any time you please.  Take care not to create an unregistered SBR in the process and you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:18:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Thank you sir!
Link Posted: 5/10/2014 6:50:38 PM EDT
[#34]

If you build it as a pistol first you can switch back and forth to a rifle at any time you please.  Take care not to create an unregistered SBR in the process and you'll be fine.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By zx9rt1texas:

Michael

Going through this dilemma now. I have a never been built lower I am building into a pistol using the infamous Sig arm brace. Which as a pistol affords me many more options should I travel through states where SBRs are not welcome (such as SC I am told.) But if I decide at some point to register it as an SBR then there is no going back,. Hopefully I like the configuration that I have planned enough that it doesn't become an issue. If the ATF ever reverses their ruling on the Sig arm brace (and I have absolutely NO information that indicates they plan to) then my hand may be forced I guess. Is my thought process sound?
Link Posted: 5/17/2014 11:27:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Does anyone have experience with a .300 AAC blackout  AR pistol?   I'm toying with the idea, as the .300blk cartridge should utilize a short barrel quite well.   I'm thinking a barrel length of 10", plus or minus.    Ultimate goal is to add a suppressor.   Depending on how it works out I might then convert it to a SBR and get a tax stamp for it.   Any advice would be appreciated.

Doc
Link Posted: 5/24/2014 5:49:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GorillaArms] [#36]
We have 2.  One is with a DD 10.3 inch upper and the other is with an AAC 9 inch upper.  Love both.  I can provide a parts list should anyone be interested.  I'll post some pix in the picture thread.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 8:48:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Can someone answer if my pistol is going to measure over 26"?

I'm doing a MAS 10.5" barrel, and I ordered the KAK package which comes with the two LOP spacers for the super SB15 buffer tube.

If someone has something similar, can you provide me with your OALs? It's not a big deal if it's less than 26", just trying to see if I need to order a VFG for it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 8:50:14 PM EDT
[#38]
with a 10.5 you will be at about 26.5 with out a flash hider

the LAK rings do not affect overall length, the brace is not figured into the length just like the flash hider
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 11:47:06 AM EDT
[#39]
so, that said.
A 10.5" barrel with a KAK flash can or similar and a standard pistol buffer tube would come out to about 28"

Right?
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 2:18:36 PM EDT
[#40]
What's the best 7.5" railed forearm for the buck?
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 5:03:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By TARGET_BEAR:
so, that said.
A 10.5" barrel with a KAK flash can or similar and a standard pistol buffer tube would come out to about 28"

Right?
View Quote

You can only count the flash can if you permanently install it. Otherwise, to the end of the barrel itself.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 11:58:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Ok so a stripped lower can be used for a pistol build but what about a lower that was bought new already assembled with lpk but never attached to an upper? I would like to use a BCM lower for a pistol build but they only sell assembled lowers.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:06:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By JRM1983:
Ok so a stripped lower can be used for a pistol build but what about a lower that was bought new already assembled with lpk but never attached to an upper? I would like to use a BCM lower for a pistol build but they only sell assembled lowers.
View Quote

If it's never been assembled as a complete rifle (meaning it has a stock and a barrel) then it's an other and you can build it as either a rifle or pistol, just be careful not to create an unregistered SBR in the process.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:31:24 PM EDT
[#44]
That is very illuminating on the issue of constructive intent, thanks.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:40:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Thanks for the picture of that buffer tube arm brace combination, it looks to be a very sensible way of doing the whole setup.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 7:47:54 PM EDT
[#46]
I have read several dozen posts here on this topic but one question keeps coming up to me. If you have gotten a stripped receiver how can you be sure it has never been assembled as a rifle or not? Conversely, how could BATFE tell whether it had been assembled as a rifle or not. Isn't the receiver sold as other if it is not assembled? Then, if you can assemble it as a pistol, then a rifle, then a pistol again, what is it? I think I would like to make a pistol with the arm brace on it. Thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 3:35:35 PM EDT
[#47]
I've read many, not all, posts on this thread but did not find my answer. IF I mill out an 80% lower receiver, how would anyone know what it was originally intended for?

I could use the "DELOS" system and have any barrel length I want. The only give away would be the SIG SB15. Or could the barrel length be used against me?
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 3:46:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By LouisJ:
I've read many, not all, posts on this thread but did not find my answer. IF I mill out an 80% lower receiver, how would anyone know what it was originally intended for?

I could use the "DELOS" system and have any barrel length I want. The only give away would be the SIG SB15. Or could the barrel length be used against me?
View Quote

In this case intent doesn't matter.  What matters is what you first built it as, or rather, what the ATF could potentially prove that you first built it as.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 5:24:43 PM EDT
[#49]
When the question came up to build my first pistol, I asked and the best way to prove you have first built is to take pictures of the progression of a pistol build from the first time you assemble it. If the pictures have a date stamp (and most smart phones do), then you have a picture trail of your pistol build.
I have multiple copies of my builds and keep printed out pictures in my safe for my four receivers that started out as 80% lowers. The very first AR I bought was a Bushmaster shorty and that has been my only firearm that started s a rifle and stays as a rifle. All the other pistols will only have a long-barreled upper attached on after I have them built as pistols and not one second before. It helps if you seal the take-down spring and detent.
Mis Dos Centavos
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 5:31:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: crazymoose] [#50]
Originally Posted By armexman:
When the question came up to build my first pistol, I asked and the best way to prove you have first built is to take pictures of the progression of a pistol build from the first time you assemble it. If the pictures have a date stamp (and most smart phones do), then you have a picture trail of your pistol build.
I have multiple copies of my builds and keep printed out pictures in my safe for my four receivers that started out as 80% lowers. The very first AR I bought was a Bushmaster shorty and that has been my only firearm that started s a rifle and stays as a rifle. All the other pistols will only have a long-barreled upper attached on after I have them built as pistols and not one second before. It helps if you seal the take-down spring and detent.
Mis Dos Centavos
View Quote

It's pretty much a non-provable charge on the ATF's part, but I also stick a pistol upper on every lower I put together (since that ruling) before the stock goes on.
Page / 20
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top