User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 24
Link Posted: 10/4/2010 7:27:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Altair,
Do you have a method for removing that rib from inside the Pmag body?  A 1/4" wood chisel is what I am considering.

I'm just using a flat file and 20 round Pmags.  Takes a little time but works well and goes slow so you only take off as much as you need.  I found it most helpful with 7.62x40 but it worked well with my 300/221 as well.

Also, I was contacted by AAC and they advised they will be using the pistol gas system, not the carbine, so that is good news.  I asked about ammo interchangability with 300 Whisper and I'm waiting on a reply.
Link Posted: 10/4/2010 7:48:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Only the 9 inch barrel version of the BLACKOUT has the gas port in the pistol position (really the only option) the 16 inch version uses a carbine position port. Here is the link where they talk about it. http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=128&t=62993
Link Posted: 10/4/2010 8:07:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Only the 9 inch barrel version of the BLACKOUT has the gas port in the pistol position (really the only option) the 16 inch version uses a carbine position port. Here is the link where they talk about it. http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=128&t=62993

Interesting, the message I got just said it was pistol length and didn't mention anything about barrel length.

Here's what Mike from AAC said, "I just wanted to let you know that our uppers (and barrels) use the pistol gas system. Like you said it helps to have the shorter setup and makes the gun more reliable."  That is contradictory to what was posted on silencertalk...
Link Posted: 10/4/2010 8:29:27 AM EDT
[#4]
There are a number of posts on silencertalk under subsonic/ 300 whisper and also on quarterbore under 300 whisper where rsilvers from aac  talks about the carbine gas port being the best option. Most did not agree. Seems they have one or two subsonic loads that work well using 1680 powder and they are sticking with that. All and all I think what they are doing is a good thing. I think it will open up this round to alot more people, ones that don't reload and want to by something off the shelf that works(assuming the price is right) for upper/ammo/suppressor. And hopefully give the rest of us access to brass from alot more sources without having to form our own.  I've got 3 whisper uppers, I started with a m1s 16 inch upper back in 2004 and almost gave up on the round because of all the issues with getting it to cycle well with subsonics. After finding the quaterbore site with all the great info and people on that site and learning from all the mistakes I made I find my 7 inch 300 whisper one of  the most fun guns I shoot.
Link Posted: 10/4/2010 8:45:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
There are a number of posts on silencertalk under subsonic/ 300 whisper and also on quarterbore under 300 whisper where rsilvers talks about the carbine gas port being the best option. Most did not agree. Seems they have one or two subsonic loads that work well using 1680 powder and they are sticking with that. All and all I think what they are doing is a good thing. I think it will open up this round to alot more people, ones that don't reload and want to by something off the shelf that works(assuming the price is right) for upper/ammo/suppressor. And hopefully give the rest of us access to brass from alot more sources without having to form our own.  I've got 3 whisper uppers, I started with a m1s 16 inch upper back in 2004 and almost gave up on the round because of all the issues with getting it to cycle well with subsonics. After finding the quaterbore site with all the great info and people on that site and learning from all the mistakes I made I find my 7 inch 300 whisper of the most fun guns I shoot.

I agree this should be good for the suppressed .308 cal AR class of rifles/cartridges.  I've found getting info from SSK to be difficult and nearly didn't get into the Whisper because of it.  This should help alot with that aspect and make things more mainstream.

Updated info:

I asked about the different barrel lengths and was told that the 9" has a pistol gas system and he wasn't sure on the 16" as it was still in R&D but it could have the carbine length system.  Perhaps the guys on silencertalk have more specific info.

As for whether it is compatable with 300 Whisper ammo he said they "didn't make it not compatible" but that some Whisper ammo isn't loaded to AR mag length and some will not cycle their uppers.  So it sounds like the chamber will be substantially similar to the Whisper/300-221/300FB.

If nothing else, I'm hoping this might drive bullet manufacturers to make light supersonic and heavy subsonic .308" bullets that are designed to work at Whisper velocities.  With substantial factory backing sales might be high enough to warrant the T&E.
Link Posted: 10/4/2010 9:09:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
That is an extremely STRANGE looking round.  How does this compare ballistically to the 6.8SPC?  Better?  Faster?  Flatter?  Obviously it's got more knockdown and mass for expansion, but it looks SLOW.

Regardless, I want a 12.5.

It will not compare to the 6.8 SPC in terms of faster or flatter.  Assuming this round can improve on 300 Whisper by 100fps you'll see velocities like 2200fps for the 123gr bullet, 2000fps for the 155gr bullet, and around 1000fps for the 220 (since subsonic is the point) in an SBR.  Add about 100-150 fps or so for a 16" barrel and maybe 50-100fps more for a 20" barrel.

This round will likely be very efficient in short barrels just like the 300 Whisper and the 7.62x40.  It has a large bore to case diameter ratio and uses fast burning powder.  That is also why you won't gain much in a longer barrel.  The case volume and powder burn rate won't take advantage of a long  tube.

A long range gun it will not be.  For CQB or suppressed work it could be very useful provided they use the right bullets.

I wasn't too far off.  Looks like they are claiming 2130fps for the 123 and 1785 for the 155 from a 9" barrel and 2315fps for the 123 and 1940fps for the 155 from a 16" barrel.  

http://300aacblackout.com/
Link Posted: 10/4/2010 10:22:42 AM EDT
[#7]
In the 300 whisper world, there is debate over gas port position.   There are a few people who have got subsonics to work with carbine gas, while pistol gas is a sure thing.   I can run 150 grain bullets subsonic with my pistol gas system, 9.5" barrel.    

We have established this is sort of a mainstream SAMMI 300 whisper.   Which is great.   As stated, its was not designed to be incompatible with 300whisper 300/221, which means it could work.   Furthermore, Rsilvers said on silencer talk that of the several 300 whisper wildcat chamber diagrams he looked at, they would all work.  

So we can say with some confidence, if you have a quality 300 Whisper clone, this new 300 Blackout ammo should be good to go.   And they are supposed to have a metric ton of the stuff.   I'll believe that when I see it.

AAC tuned their stuff to carbine gas for 16", pistol for 9".   Since they are making ammo  AND barrels and such, they can insure the proper port size and such so they all play nice together.   I noticed they are keeping the port size secret for now.

Yes one barrel  can run supers and subsonics with a normal gas block, but subsonics are limited to very heavy, and supersonics run pretty hard.   I like my pistol gas and adjustable block.   I can tune to both ends of the spectrum or just plain Off.

Silencer Talk thread

Link Posted: 10/4/2010 10:39:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Just a couple things I noticed......

If below is a pic of the blackout....

Quoted:

Link to AAC's site within the Military Times article.  It's a 7.62 x 35.

It doesn't seem to jive with their below suggested COAL of ~ 2.089"......round looks about the same length as the .223 ?  2.250 ~2.260"

If it does go to market and it ends-up headspacing the same as a 300 Whisper it would be a great thing for brass availability if nothing else.....if the Blackout chamber is set-up to run such a short cartridge overall length, the factory loaded ammo would have close to .200" jump to the lands in a Whisper chamber???

I think a better solution to the magazine rib problem would be to work a deal with MagPul to make a rib-less Blackout PMAG and keep the longer loaded length....
I spoke with Drake at MagPul about two years ago to try this with the 7.62x40, I was willing to buy 1,000 mags if they would modify a set of tooling to make a rib-less "wildcat" version......there are probably a dozen .223 based wildcats that could benefit from such a mag including the 300 Whisper and now the Blackout....I still think there is a market for a rib-less PMAG, including a joint Blackout PMAG.....It would be too easy to do and solve several problems at one time....

Quoted:
The following was posted on Quarterbore from someone claiming to be R&D for AAC:

If you load your own ammo, pay special attention to all of the normal safety practices. Recommended powder for most supersonic loads is Hodgdon H110.

For subsonic, there are special requirements and nearly all published loads are non-optimal for the 300 BLK upper. Many existing loads were developed for Thompson Center® single-shot pistols, or for ARs by people not aware of the magazine limitations. These loads pay no attention to automatic rifle function and should not be used. Look for a load which results in a cyclic rate of 700 rpm or more. AA1680 is recommended because its bulk density matches the case capacity and it will generate enough gas pressure to cycle the weapon.

Suggested subsonic load:

• R-P 300 AAC BLACKOUT brass
• Remington 7.5 primers
• 11.2 grains of AA 1680 powder
• Case length is 1.368 +0.000 -0.020
• Sierra 220 MK loaded to 2.089 OAL (this length is optimal for reliable feeding from USGI magazines)
• Chamber pressure 21,100 psi.

Existing AR magazines have a rib which normally contacts the 5.56mm case-neck. With 300 BLK ammo, the contact is on the bullet. Because the bullet is a larger diameter, the rib will push the cartridges out of alignment, and can lead to binding potentially resulting in Failures to Feed. For this reason, it is important to load ammunition so that the contact point with the magazine rib is on the bullet ogive in an area of about 0.250 inch diameter. Here are some suggested OAL for popular bullets:

• Hornady 110 V-Max, OAL: 2.000
• 110 TSX, 2.015 OAL
• Sierra 155 Palma, 2.150 OAL
• Sierra 220, 2.089 OAL
• Lapua B416 200 grain, 1.960 OAL
• Hornady 150 FMJ-BT 3037, 2.065 OAL
• Nosler Ballistic Tip 125 grain, OAL: 2.085
• Remington AccuTip 125 grain, OAL: 2.085
• Hornady 130 SP #3020, OAL: 2.010
• Sierra H2120 125 ProHunter, OAL: 1.950
• Speer TNT 125 1986, OAL: 2.010

th
Link Posted: 10/4/2010 11:44:15 AM EDT
[#9]
According to the AAC Blog on the AAC website the first batch of uppers are shipping tonight for availability on Oct 7th.  An SC dealer has an allocation of 12 currently being pre sold according to a thread at the link below.

Link

Link Posted: 10/4/2010 11:53:09 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

According to the AAC Blog on the AAC website the first batch of uppers are shipping tonight for availability on Oct 7th.  An SC dealer has an allocation of 12 currently being pre sold according to a thread at the link below.

Link

http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx166/jasonusvi/LMT%20MRP/300-main.jpg

I'll be in my bunk.

Link Posted: 10/4/2010 1:31:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I wonder which one of those is mine
Link Posted: 10/4/2010 1:35:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

$1080 shipped?  Guess its not too bad a price if includes BCG.  What rail does it use? CL barrel?  I just cant wait to see the ammo start to flow and see if its compatible with my new Whisper... or if I need to ream and get a set of 300BLK reloading dies to get with the big money standard.
Link Posted: 10/4/2010 3:49:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

$1080 shipped?  Guess its not too bad a price if includes BCG.  What rail does it use? CL barrel?  I just cant wait to see the ammo start to flow and see if its compatible with my new Whisper... or if I need to ream and get a set of 300BLK reloading dies to get with the big money standard.

includes BCG, knights Armament rail (URX 7"), BARREL: 9 inches, 1:8 twist, 0.740 diameter at muzzle, 5/8-24 threads, 4150 CMV steel, pistol-length gas system, M4 feed-ramps. Black nitride including chamber and bore.
Link Posted: 10/5/2010 12:44:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Fyi... Forester die part numbers.  I still hope to confirm they will work with my Noveske Fireball chamber before I order.

Full Length Sizing Die only, 300 BLK, Part # 005545
Standard Seating Die only, 300 BLK, Part #006205
Ultra Micrometer Seating Die only, 300 BLK, Part #U00099

Set of Full Length Sizing Die and Standard Seating Die, 300 BLK, Part #004453
Set of Full Length Sizing Die and Ultra Micrometer Seating Die, 300 BLK, Part #U04453
Link Posted: 10/5/2010 3:58:46 PM EDT
[#15]
So they basically standardized the .300-221 Fireball/.300 Whisper? Or is it something else?
Link Posted: 10/5/2010 4:03:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So they basically standardized the .300-221 Fireball/.300 Whisper? Or is it something else?

It looks that way, yes.
Link Posted: 10/5/2010 5:37:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This was posted on ST:

Question:

Is 300 AAC BLACKOUT a standardized version the 300-221 Remington Fireball Wildcat?

Answer:

300 Remington Fireball wildcats are typically capable of doing everything that 300 AAC BLACKOUT does, but there was no SAAMI standard and that prevented major companies from making products for it. JD Jones's pioneering work, which he Trademarked as 300 Whisper®, has helped bring attention to the concept of a 300-221 Remington Fireball based solution as an excellent 30-cal cartridge for both supersonic and subsonic performance when used in the AR platform as well as in bolt guns. 300 AAC BLACKOUT is a standardized version of the 300-221 Remington Fireball Wildcat, and has been submitted to SAAMI.

Also of interest:
"Noveske Rifleworks will be changing our 300 Fireball barrel production to the 300 AAC BLACKOUT."   - Todd @ Noveske

Link Posted: 10/6/2010 6:24:35 AM EDT
[#18]
I knew I was keeping a spare stripped lower around for something!
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 6:41:28 AM EDT
[#19]
now this is how cartridge development should work. Not some damn boutique round that you can only buy 3 types of ammo for and only one gun for. I wonder what it would do out of a 20 inch bolt gun? Make a nice 400 yd deer/coyote rifle.

hmm could use .223 stripper clips, mags, bandoleers, ammo cans. Only problem would be clearly identifying the caliber of the weapon. a 223 would not chamber a 300 but a 300 would chamber a 223 could cause a messed up barrel.
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 6:43:59 AM EDT
[#20]
after looking more closely it maybe that neither can load in either.
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 6:50:17 AM EDT
[#21]
I believe its been said over on ST that they can't chamber in each other.

There's a dozen really good threads there about the 300 BLK. Lots of info by the guys who developed the cartridge.
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 6:51:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
now this is how cartridge development should work. Not some damn boutique round that you can only buy 3 types of ammo for and only one gun for. I wonder what it would do out of a 20 inch bolt gun? Make a nice 400 yd deer/coyote rifle.

hmm could use .223 stripper clips, mags, bandoleers, ammo cans. Only problem would be clearly identifying the caliber of the weapon. a 223 would not chamber a 300 but a 300 would chamber a 223 could cause a messed up barrel.

I don't think this new cartridge was designed to take game at 400 yards.
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 7:38:09 AM EDT
[#23]
The 300 won't chamber in a 223 because the bullet is too big.  Conversely the 223 won't chamber in the 300 because the shoulder is further forward.  You shouldn't be able to chamber the wrong round.

As for a 400 yard deer rifle, I think you are overestimating the possibilities this round has supersonic.  I've wanted a 300 Whisper bolt action gun for a while, and since Remington is on board wth this perhaps they will release a 700 in 300 BLK, but I have no illusions of making it shoot deer at 400 yards.  I consider a .308 to be marginal for such a task and this cartdidge will run at least  400 to 600 fps slower than a .308.  I don't see how that would make a 400 yard deer rifle.
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 7:54:55 AM EDT
[#24]
good points. what about making it a 7mm?

kind of like a 7-08 but based on the 300 blk.

lots of 7mm bullets out there.

wildcatting a wildcat. i guess that is what happens once it goes std.
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 8:51:39 AM EDT
[#25]
I think it's a good thing. It will bring legitimacy and logistical support of a big company to an old idea.  As of yet I haven't ventured into suppressed platforms, but a suppressed 30 AAC upper w a can might end up being my first foray into that realm.

Hopefully it will also show folks some of the versatility of the .223 platform for wildcatting and we will see big companies start to put out other variants like 6, 6.5, and 7mm TCU being offered as factory options for the ever popular AR platform.  That way people can have options as far as their desired caliber for whatever applications they think they need without having to use funky mags and bolts, etc.
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 9:56:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

There are 7mm variants of the .223 case like the 7mm TCU that could be used to hunt deer with.  The trouble is that if you use the full length of the .223 case you run into OAL problems and if you seat the bullets deep you get capacity restrictions as the bullet encroaches on the powder space.  That can be somewhat mitigated in a bolt gun that doesn't have the AR mag length restriction but ultimately the case is just too small to support a 400 yard deer rifle.  200 can be done and maybe 250 but much past that and you need something bigger IMO.

ETA:  I'm not saying you couldn't hit a deer with a .223 variant at 400 yards, but I don't think it would have enough punch left to kill humanely.
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 10:08:42 AM EDT
[#27]
agreed. A nice 200 yd midwest deer rifle would be nice. There are already the brush thumpers out there in 45 and 50 cal in the AR but a nice 7mm-30 cal med. range would be nice. but then again my 30-06 bolt has done quite well.

Quoted:

Quoted:

There are 7mm variants of the .223 case like the 7mm TCU that could be used to hunt deer with.  The trouble is that if you use the full length of the .223 case you run into OAL problems and if you seat the bullets deep you get capacity restrictions as the bullet encroaches on the powder space.  That can be somewhat mitigated in a bolt gun that doesn't have the AR mag length restriction but ultimately the case is just too small to support a 400 yard deer rifle.  200 can be done and maybe 250 but much past that and you need something bigger IMO.

ETA:  I'm not saying you couldn't hit a deer with a .223 variant at 400 yards, but I don't think it would have enough punch left to kill humanely.

Link Posted: 10/6/2010 11:19:16 AM EDT
[#28]
I'm watching this one.  I was getting ready to pull the trigger on a 6.8, but I'll wait and see how this does.  I already have a 762SD, and a place to hunt hogs.  Now I just need a med sized round to complete my goals.  I'll give it till the first of the year, if it continues to pick up pace, I'll be a buyer.  Though, I was really hoping to be able to hunt out in the 250-300yd range.  I'll wait to see what it does in peoples hands, and how available the ammo is, I don't reload yet...yet.
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 3:08:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Actually the Genghis was 5.45x39.
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 4:55:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Can we add this one to the list of Remington bastard-child cartridges?  6.8 SPC and 30 AR seem more like distractions for Remington than appropriately supported products.

Is "new" really better?  Better enough?

Link Posted: 10/6/2010 5:17:54 PM EDT
[#31]
ho-hummm...............BIG yawn.....
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 5:32:52 PM EDT
[#32]
When I first saw this I was thinking this would be my new brush gun.. but I soon realized it was nothing new. For a military group wanting to upgrade for urban warfare with just a barrel swap it makes sence, I dont see it as a one size fits all round though. Due to the similarities with the 7.62x39 im sure it will performe similarly at long ranges, granted it does offer a better bullet selection with .308 dia.  To me the 6.8 still seems like it will perform better and I'll probably go the 6.8 route unless this round takes off. .
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 6:41:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 8:14:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Just a couple things I noticed......

If below is a pic of the blackout....

Quoted:

Link to AAC's site within the Military Times article.  It's a 7.62 x 35.

http://300aacblackout.com/images/300BLK-556Pic.jpg

+1 on that...Kurt any news on the 7.62X40 barrels ?

It doesn't seem to jive with their below suggested COAL of ~ 2.089"......round looks about the same length as the .223 ?  2.250 ~2.260"

If it does go to market and it ends-up headspacing the same as a 300 Whisper it would be a great thing for brass availability if nothing else.....if the Blackout chamber is set-up to run such a short cartridge overall length, the factory loaded ammo would have close to .200" jump to the lands in a Whisper chamber???

I think a better solution to the magazine rib problem would be to work a deal with MagPul to make a rib-less Blackout PMAG and keep the longer loaded length....
I spoke with Drake at MagPul about two years ago to try this with the 7.62x40, I was willing to buy 1,000 mags if they would modify a set of tooling to make a rib-less "wildcat" version......there are probably a dozen .223 based wildcats that could benefit from such a mag including the 300 Whisper and now the Blackout....I still think there is a market for a rib-less PMAG, including a joint Blackout PMAG.....It would be too easy to do and solve several problems at one time....

Quoted:
The following was posted on Quarterbore from someone claiming to be R&D for AAC:

If you load your own ammo, pay special attention to all of the normal safety practices. Recommended powder for most supersonic loads is Hodgdon H110.

For subsonic, there are special requirements and nearly all published loads are non-optimal for the 300 BLK upper. Many existing loads were developed for Thompson Center® single-shot pistols, or for ARs by people not aware of the magazine limitations. These loads pay no attention to automatic rifle function and should not be used. Look for a load which results in a cyclic rate of 700 rpm or more. AA1680 is recommended because its bulk density matches the case capacity and it will generate enough gas pressure to cycle the weapon.

Suggested subsonic load:

• R-P 300 AAC BLACKOUT brass
• Remington 7.5 primers
• 11.2 grains of AA 1680 powder
• Case length is 1.368 +0.000 -0.020
• Sierra 220 MK loaded to 2.089 OAL (this length is optimal for reliable feeding from USGI magazines)
• Chamber pressure 21,100 psi.

Existing AR magazines have a rib which normally contacts the 5.56mm case-neck. With 300 BLK ammo, the contact is on the bullet. Because the bullet is a larger diameter, the rib will push the cartridges out of alignment, and can lead to binding potentially resulting in Failures to Feed. For this reason, it is important to load ammunition so that the contact point with the magazine rib is on the bullet ogive in an area of about 0.250 inch diameter. Here are some suggested OAL for popular bullets:

• Hornady 110 V-Max, OAL: 2.000
• 110 TSX, 2.015 OAL
• Sierra 155 Palma, 2.150 OAL
• Sierra 220, 2.089 OAL
• Lapua B416 200 grain, 1.960 OAL
• Hornady 150 FMJ-BT 3037, 2.065 OAL
• Nosler Ballistic Tip 125 grain, OAL: 2.085
• Remington AccuTip 125 grain, OAL: 2.085
• Hornady 130 SP #3020, OAL: 2.010
• Sierra H2120 125 ProHunter, OAL: 1.950
• Speer TNT 125 1986, OAL: 2.010

th

Link Posted: 10/7/2010 1:03:31 PM EDT
[#35]
I sent an email to Noveske asking if they had plans for this round.  Here is the response:

"Noveske Rifleworks will be changing our 300 Fireball barrel production to the 300 AAC BLACKOUT.

We will also make complete rifles and uppers when ammo is available for test firing.

The 300 AAC BLACKOUT is a standardized/SAAMI version of the wildcat 300 Fireball or 300-221 and the proprietary 300 Whisper(R). Ammunition will be made by Remington at first but other ammunition manufacturers will be more likely to offer it as a standard cartridge with specs available.

We are going to be looking at barrel lengths and function when we start testing the 300 AAC BLACKOUT. I'm not sure what sizes we will be producing until then.

Todd Krawczyk
Noveske Rifleworks LLC
P.O. Box 1401
Grant Pass OR 97528
541-479-6117
Fax 541-479-2555
www.noveskerifleworks.com"
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 4:13:10 PM EDT
[#36]
I am soooooo glad I never bought a 6.8 SPC or 7.62x39 upper.
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 4:55:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Ah. This is really gonna make a versatile platform. same gun all around different upper same mags. Now i got a gun from squirrel hunting to deer hunting. Hell a suppressed sbr in 300 would be great for home defense. you won't go as deaf.
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 7:07:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Woo Hoo!  I think I just decided on my #3 300 BLK.

My #s so far

#2 .223/5.56
#4 458 SOCOM
#5 50 Beowulf

Hmmmm, anyone make a .17 upper?

as in .17 Remington?  Try Ballistic Advantage.  Adam makes a .17 Remy and a .17HM2 upper.
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 9:08:50 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I sent an email to Noveske asking if they had plans for this round.  Here is the response:

"Noveske Rifleworks will be changing our 300 Fireball barrel production to the 300 AAC BLACKOUT.

We will also make complete rifles and uppers when ammo is available for test firing.

The 300 AAC BLACKOUT is a standardized/SAAMI version of the wildcat 300 Fireball or 300-221 and the proprietary 300 Whisper(R). Ammunition will be made by Remington at first but other ammunition manufacturers will be more likely to offer it as a standard cartridge with specs available.

We are going to be looking at barrel lengths and function when we start testing the 300 AAC BLACKOUT. I'm not sure what sizes we will be producing until then.

Todd Krawczyk

Noveske Rifleworks LLC

P.O. Box 1401

Grant Pass OR 97528

541-479-6117

Fax 541-479-2555

Noveske is saying on their site that any of their 300 FB barrels past serial #290000 will work with the blackout.  They are working on a program to send in older barrels for inspection/reaming.

My 10.5" is well above the cutoff, now to actually build it into a rifle and buy a .30 can.

Link Posted: 10/8/2010 6:33:57 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Todd Krawczyk
Noveske Rifleworks LLC
P.O. Box 1401
Grant Pass OR 97528
541-479-6117
Fax 541-479-2555
Noveske is saying on their site that any of their 300 FB barrels past serial #290000 will work with the blackout.  They are working on a program to send in older barrels for inspection/reaming.

[div]My 10.5" is well above the cutoff, now to actually build it into a rifle and buy a .30 can.

Nice.  I have the same barrel.  You going to reload or shoot commercial? I'm hoping to find a recipe that will shoot and cycle 175s subsonic so its cheaper and compatible with my 308 stash of projectiles.

Link Posted: 10/8/2010 8:11:32 AM EDT
[#41]
I have a 16" 300 whisper and a Hairtrigger 7.62 falcon can.......Great combo. lots of fun..with sub loads sounds like a nail gun or paintball marker..would be a good addition to quiver.
Link Posted: 10/8/2010 6:34:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The 300 won't chamber in a 223 because the bullet is too big.  

Umm, 110 Vmax seated to ogive drops right in... just saying....

Link Posted: 10/8/2010 8:05:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The 300 won't chamber in a 223 because the bullet is too big.  

Umm, 110 Vmax seated to ogive drops right in... just saying....

Good point, I only load mine with large subsonics and didn't consider this.

Thanks for the correction on an important safety point.  I suspect other small .308 bullets could do this as well.
Link Posted: 10/9/2010 9:30:39 AM EDT
[#44]
I too will be watching this how cartridges develops . For some reason , and I know I may catch some flack on this , but it kinda makes some sense in this configuration .

I just picked up a billet POF multical lower & may save it to see how this goes in the next couple of months .

I find this cartridge ,interesting.
Link Posted: 10/9/2010 10:45:15 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Nice. I have the same barrel. You going to reload or shoot commercial? I'm hoping to find a recipe that will shoot and cycle 175s subsonic so its cheaper and compatible with my 308 stash of projectiles.

Eventually I'll be shooting reloads, hopefully I'll have my reloading setup before I'm done with the rifle.  

Link Posted: 10/10/2010 7:48:47 AM EDT
[#46]
This will likely be my 4th AR caliber (.223, .308, 6.8 and now 300BLK)

I've heard a lot of hype about different calibers before, but it sounds like AAC/Remington is putting some $$ into this one.  I don't reload yet so I am really waiting to see what happens with ammo availability and pricing.

I still like my 12.5" SBR for better terminal ballistics to 300 yard than this round.

Many have pointed out the advantages of the round and they are ALL listed on the AAC300BLK website.

Here is where it will work well for me.

1.  Home defense AR: Short, light, suppressed and good ballistics for inside my home.  I'm certain we will see further ballistic testing with commercially available loads into Q1-Q2 2011
2.  Local 3 Gun Matches with range <100 yards
3.  New suppressor designed for this will work well on my Noveske 12.5" 6,8 SBR
4.  Spare lower that I already have registered as an SBR

It will be nice if ammo pricing is between 5.56 and 6.8 but closer to 5.56.
Link Posted: 10/10/2010 6:42:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
300 Whisper/Fireball/Blackout tend to NOT have issues with throat erosion and excessive barrel wear due to the low powder volume coupled with relatively large bore diameter...

Doc, have you done any testing with the Whisper?  I'm just wondering if you've had any luck finding good terminal performance at he reduced velocity.  If not, I don't see how this round could begin to replace 5.56 or other calibers.  I hope to do some gel testing with my 300/221 and my 7.62x40 soon.  My department may be doing some testing on 5.56 ammo soon so I'm plan to learn the process buy some of my own gelatin.

The key will be getting bullets that work at the subsonic velocities and still be legal for Land Warfare under JAG interpretation.  The OTM is accepted, however, tests on critters suggest that the bullets tend to simply pass through and not inflict the desired wounding.  On the other hand, though, field results with the .300 FB variants on hogs, etc shows it to be very effective (not sure what bullets were used in the latter, the tests where with OTMs).

Gel testing and bullets permitted for more than COTW would be highly desirable and essential to wider adoption of this type of round.  However, with Remington, AAC and BARNES BULLETS all under one roof, the factory loads might end up being very interesting.  For LE this might be a good option for CQB as they can use bullets not available to MIL, but experience shows that there might still be concern with overpenetration if the wrong bullets are chosen.
Link Posted: 10/12/2010 7:36:15 PM EDT
[#48]
I like it and the ribless P-mag idea !
Link Posted: 10/12/2010 8:50:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Interesting they are going with the carbine-length system...even more interesting that they mentioned reliability (noted the second quoted paragraph).

An excerpt from some email correspondence I had with Marty Ter Weeme (Teppo Jutsu, .450 SOCOM / 30HRT guy). Some of you may find it interesting.

I'd probably go 3-lands, low surface area, to reduce friction if going jacked rifle subsonic, or just go the cast boolit or paper patch route. I have yet to see a proper subsonic jacked rifle jacked bullet suitable for intermediate rounds though –– would like soft nosed flat point with a wide metplat for <1300fps and HPed (or better, polymer tipped) for 1300fps+.

Cool that this getting formalized, but one thing most rifle wildcats do offer though is the ability to legally shoot armor piercing.

While the 30 HRT, 300 Whisper and 7.62x40 all indeed mimic the 7.62x39 in
terms of muzzle velocity and energy, the similarities end there.  The key to
these .30 caliber cartridges is the ability to use the vast array of .30
caliber projectiles compared to the relatively limited selection of .312
bullets.  For the .300 Whisper and the 7.62x40, the added benefit is the
ability to use standard .223 magazines, bolts and brass, reducing not only
the cost of components, but also often affording longer service life (AR15
bolts in 7.62x39 are more prone to failure than their .223 counterparts)

Really the main reason for the .30 HRT was to be able to use a carbine
length gas system with the 240 SMK subsonic loads - some other barrels
makers were making .300 Fireball barrels with that gas system and they would
not work, this was a way to rechamber those and get them in a working state
(without having to relocate the gas port).  That and the plethora of .30 cal
bullets - the only thing the .338 has over the .308 subsonic loads is mass
(using COTS bullets, not counting custom bullets) with 300 gr versus 240 gr
and a slightly larger frontal area...

The case capacity for the 30 HRT is about 35 gr water, whereas the .338 has
about 29 gr water, plus the 30 HRT can run at much higher pressure - there
is a phenomenon that comes into play when the bullet diameter is close to
the case diameter (minimal shoulder) that makes these types of short cases
unusually efficient - the .22 Spitfire is another one of these little ones
that just shines.

The 30 HRT will run just fine semi-auto with the 240 SMK loads - we even
built an upper with a piston system that runs the supersonic loads and then
the suppressed subsonic loads without a hiccup, just select the proper
setting on the piston system...

The 35-10mm Magnum has actually been chambered and was one of the cartridges
we referenced during the design of the .338 Spectre - the challenge is that
in .35 caliber there are no true match grade bullets available, plus it will
require a custom twist that is not normally found to stabilize the subsonic
loads.  That was the blessing of the .30 cal and the .338 cal - because they
are used in the military and long range competition, both have match grade
heavy bullets available and there are more twist rates out there.

Link Posted: 10/13/2010 2:41:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Is there any word when uppers/barrels and ammo will be released to the general public?
Page / 24
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top