BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 24
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 3:57:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Is there any word when uppers/barrels and ammo will be released to the general public?

I got my 300 BLACKOUT upper yesterday and bought some 300 whisper ammo from CorBon(I think it will work just fine)

dmtsc

Link Posted: 10/13/2010 4:04:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Sooo, is Remington making ammo (didn't read all the pages), if so, I'm in for my next upper. Would like something SBR but not 9" .... maybe 12"??
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 4:18:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Sooo, is Remington making ammo (didn't read all the pages), if so, I'm in for my next upper. Would like something SBR but not 9" .... maybe 12"??

Apparently Remington is committed be making enough to be offered by the case.  You might want to rethink "not 9" as I'm guessing you might be thinking about dwell time discussed at length in the context of 556 with carbine gas.  These use pistol gas systems and faster burning powder in smaller cases such that there may be little if any advantage going with 12" over 9" given the powder is fully burned much earlier.
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 6:23:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

As stated above, due to the design, there's no comparing the barrel and gas lengths of 5.56 ARs to this.

The weapon is short. I'll take the 9"
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 7:21:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.aacblog.com/wp-content/uploads/IMG_1367-450x600.jpg
As stated above, due to the design, there's no comparing the barrel and gas lengths of 5.56 ARs to this.

The weapon is short. I'll take the 9"

That 9" is sick.  My wallet just cringed in anticipation of the hurt it's about to receive.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2010 3:05:41 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm actually putting money away for the can. I'm hoping I can order it as soon as it comes out. I have about 2/3rds of what I need including the tax and the money for the trust.

However, once ammo gets up and running the rifle may be next on the list.
Link Posted: 10/14/2010 8:42:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
How many times can we re-invent the 7.62x39.........

This.
Link Posted: 10/14/2010 11:25:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Last I checked you needed far more then simply a different barrel and ammo to use 7.62x39.

Link Posted: 10/14/2010 2:31:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Last I checked you needed far more then simply a different barrel and ammo to use 7.62x39.

This
Link Posted: 10/14/2010 2:56:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, that.
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 8:54:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I really like the 7.62x40 cartridge, but this .300 BLK may actually be better because of factory ammo (brass) availability. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but could the .300 BLK's supersonic performance be improved upon if the OAL was extended to free up the case for more powder? If so, wouldn't 6.8x43 or 6.5 G magazines allow you to push the OAL longer due to the shallower support ribs vs. USGI mags?

Would RSilvers, or anyone else that has access to components, want to comment or try a 6.8 mag to determine if my hypothesis would hold true? Please?
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 10:55:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Just tried putting a dummy round into a 6.8 mag and they still move off to the center.
Stick with modifying a P-Mag. We'll call it revision W.
Link Posted: 10/17/2010 4:55:37 AM EDT
[#13]
This was posted the other day over on quarterbore.net.  It if the results of gel testing on various supersonic 125g bullets that one would in the 300 Blackout/300-221Fireball.

quarterbore.net 300 Blackout get tests

Thanks rsilvers for the data

Between these gel test and the recent success post on the 7.62x40mm  (posted Here), you can see how well the 30 cal AR variants work

320pf
Link Posted: 10/17/2010 7:11:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Dont know why some one just does not come up with a AR that takes AK mags.

For me it is simple. It is either one of my Ar's or my S.A. SOCOM 16.

i used to back in the day only take my M1 A if i thought game or large varmints may be encountered on my day to day routine until i found out stuff i was shooting with my SP-1 carbine sure was dropping just as dead. Now its my SPR in 5.56 that gets out more than anything.

Didn't some manufacturer come out with an AR lower receiver that takes AK mags?  You are missing part of the point, much like the .300 whisper and it's variants, the .300 BLK has full AR-15/M16 parts compatability except the barrel; same bolt, magazine, etc.
Link Posted: 10/17/2010 7:24:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Knight's made the SR-47 that took AK mags.  As I recall they had to make the action longer to do it.

And that doesn't include the known issues with using such a large case head with the AR bolt.
Link Posted: 10/17/2010 8:20:38 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Dont know why some one just does not come up with a AR that takes AK mags.

For me it is simple. It is either one of my Ar's or my S.A. SOCOM 16.
i used to back in the day only take my M1 A if i thought game or large varmints may be encountered on my day to day routine until i found out stuff i was shooting with my SP-1 carbine sure was dropping just as dead. Now its my SPR in 5.56 that gets out more than anything.

http://www.ar-47.com/

Link Posted: 10/17/2010 10:35:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Out of curiousity, has anyone or company performed side by side tests of a suppressed short barreled Krinkov in 7.62x39 Russian vs. a 9" barreled AAC 300 Blackout AR variant?

Where I'm getting at is that I would like to know if the 300 AAC Blackout is superior to the short-barreled Krinkov in terms of performance and ballistics both while suppressed and unsuppressed. Obviously, the AR platform wins in terms of ergonomics.  

This model would be an excellent Krinkov variant to use for the comparison:

http://www.arsenal-bg.com/defense_police/7,62ar-sf.htm

And now for our com-bloc national anthem : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWGm8HvOrNI
Link Posted: 10/17/2010 10:49:15 PM EDT
[#18]
I would be more interested if I didn't already own a couple 6.8's.  The only benefit I can see over the 6.8 is the ability to go subsonic.

Link Posted: 10/18/2010 3:24:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I would be more interested if I didn't already own a couple 6.8's.  The only benefit I can see over the 6.8 is the ability to go subsonic.

Standard bolt and magazines, brass can be made from cheap .223 brass, and larger bullet selection in .308 as well as the ability to go subsonic.

6.8 will definitely outperform this round in range, velocity, and energy though.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 3:54:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Is there any word when uppers/barrels and ammo will be released to the general public?

First run of uppers have already been released.  There may be one laying around somewhere, but I doubt it.  Barrels and additional uppers will come shortly.  (whatever that means) and ammo "soon".
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 4:07:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Also, others are working on bringing stuff out furiously in this "new" or rather newly opened caliber.  Keep an eye out.  One of the great things about AAC/Rem's work on this is that it is a purely open platform now and they are bringing out factory ammo, plus all it is is a barrel swap and they use a brass parent case that exists.  Well, I DO make 6.5G brass out of 7.62x39 brass, so I should complain too much!  I think I will be building a 300BLK in a Savage bolt gun soon too.  Threaded barrel 16" carbine with a kickass Joel Russo machined stock.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 4:48:02 AM EDT
[#22]
I emailed Hornady a couple weeks ago regarding the possibility of producing training ammo in 300 BLK to keep down prices (the only way I could afford to take on a new caliber).

My email:
With the recent announcement of the .300 BLK, and it's planned pricepoint in the 5.56 range, does Hornady have any plans to offer a steel training version similar to to 5.56 TAP Training ammo?
Thank you for your time,
Joe

Their response:
Joe,
Very possibly, keep watching our website for new product information for 2011 over the next 90 days.

So lets cross our fingers and hope that we can buy this stuff by the case on the cheap. Anyone talked to Wolf about this yet?
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 2:32:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Also, others are working on bringing stuff out furiously in this "new" or rather newly opened caliber.  Keep an eye out.  One of the great things about AAC/Rem's work on this is that it is a purely open platform now and they are bringing out factory ammo, plus all it is is a barrel swap and they use a brass parent case that exists.  Well, I DO make 6.5G brass out of 7.62x39 brass, so I should complain too much!  I think I will be building a 300BLK in a Savage bolt gun soon too.  Threaded barrel 16" carbine with a kickass Joel Russo machined stock.

A Russo stock?  Why don't you whittle your own?
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 4:27:05 PM EDT
[#24]
I send him wood and he inlets it and rough machines the outside.  Easier for me to deal with.  I build furniture, not gun stocks!  If you check out his site www.russoriflestocks.com the curly maple stock was done from a piece I shipped to him!  It came out awesome and the client loves it.  The last one he did for me was a McMillan A5 style stock out of a big chunk of cherry I shipped him.  I made a poor man's tactical rifle out of a Howa 1500 barreled action in 25-06.  Had a custom bolt handle made and installed and stippled the grips and such.  Came out awesome and shoots 1/2" groups consistently at 100yds.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 6:25:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Also, others are working on bringing stuff out furiously in this "new" or rather newly opened caliber. Keep an eye out.

Do anyone know who will be manufacturing barrels and uppers?  I will be looking to get a 16" barrel and probably get it cut down to 14.5 plus a pinned QD flashhider for a suppressor.  So far AAC and Noveske are the only companies I've seen that have confirmed they will be putting out parts.  I assume Remington will put out a model 700 version.  Any other confirmed manufacturers at this point?  Do 300 BLK parts look to be readily available starting in 2011?
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 7:14:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Also, others are working on bringing stuff out furiously in this "new" or rather newly opened caliber. Keep an eye out.

Do anyone know who will be manufacturing barrels and uppers?  I will be looking to get a 16" barrel and probably get it cut down to 14.5 plus a pinned QD flashhider for a suppressor.  So far AAC and Noveske are the only companies I've seen that have confirmed they will be putting out parts.  I assume Remington will put out a model 700 version.  Any other confirmed manufacturers at this point?  Do 300 BLK parts look to be readily available starting in 2011?

What more would want beyond a Noveske barrel?
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 2:01:56 AM EDT
[#27]
This would be a great cartridge for Remington to reintroduce the 788 with.
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 6:02:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Nvm
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 6:48:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Why go through the trouble of cutting it and putting a flash hider on it.  Just buy a 9" or whatever SBR barrel that is coming out and SBR the lower.
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 7:05:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Nvm.
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 10:21:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Why go through the trouble of cutting it and putting a flash hider on it.  Just buy a 9" or whatever SBR barrel that is coming out and SBR the lower.

I'd guess, for a variety of reasons......not everyone wants or needs an SBR....or wants and needs "The Man" in their life. Simple.
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 10:37:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd guess, for a variety of reasons......not everyone wants or needs an SBR....or wants and needs "The Man" in their life. Simple.

What?  Are you alluding to "The Man" coming to your house to look at your NFA item?

The 300 Blackout is not designed as a long range cartridge, it really is designed to be a SBR cartridge, so whey try to hide the length of the barrel by pinning on a FH.  Screw it, just SBR the damn thing and be done with it.  Why have more barrel then needed.
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 10:43:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, but if they're cutting it down and adding a pinned mount for a suppressor I'd assume they already "have the man in their life".

I understand certain states don't allow SBRs, but that about the only real reason I can think of.
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 12:52:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why go through the trouble of cutting it and putting a flash hider on it. Just buy a 9" or whatever SBR barrel that is coming out and SBR the lower.

Yeah, but if they're cutting it down and adding a pinned mount for a suppressor I'd assume they already "have the man in their life".

I understand certain states don't allow SBRs, but that about the only real reason I can think of.

Reading is fundamental....

Note what I responded to, highlighted above in red. Many users, including myself, would prefer a longer barrel. Its as simple as that, preference. In fact I intend on getting all three, a Remington 700 barrel (it's 16"), a 16" AR barrel (cutdown to 14+ and pinned, for the girlfriend) and a 9". You understand "certain states don't allow SBR's".......yet you posted why exactly? I'm thinking that's more then enough cause/reason not to go a 9" barrel. (Do I seriously need to repeat the comment about "The Man" in your life?)

I'll call your and raise you .

Quoted:
The 300 Blackout is not designed as a long range cartridge

And this has what to do with a person's barrel length preference?
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 1:47:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Gentlemen, to clarify my statement.  I'm not worried about Big Brother.  It all boils down to me being a tightwad.  I'll pay for a suppressor and a tax stamp for it.  I don't want to pay $200 on top of my already large investment just so I can have a barrel under 16".  For ]my preferences, budgetary restrictions, and needs, a compromise between a 16" barrel and a 9" barrel is just fine to save some money.
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 2:42:29 PM EDT
[#36]
The barrel length debate has gone on for a while with the 300 Whisper.  With most cartridges you get added velocity with additional barrel lengths but there is a point where that no longer happens.  The 300 Whisper uses so little powder and pressure with heavy subsonics that you can have a load running 1000fps from a 10.5" barrel and actually have it running slower from a 16" barrel.  The Blackout should behave the same way.  

There is some merit to the comment that a longer barrel doesn't make sense if you only mean with subsonics.  I don't recall the exact length but if I remember right the ideal barrel length (all powder burned and pressure used before friction with the barrel starts slowing the projectile back down) is around 11" or 12".  Anything more than that requires more powder for the same velocity and will contribute to velocity dispersion.  I wonder how AAC/Remington plans to address this as it is one of the reasons that most 300 Whisper guns require custom loads for thier barrel length and gas systems.  Perhaps 9" and 16" are the two that average out to 1000fps with the factory load they are planning with the slower AA1680 powder (it is fast powder, but on the slow end of the spectrum for loads in this application).  Perhaps the 9" doesn't get every last fps from the round and the 16" does but then slows it back down to 1000fps?  I don't know, that is just a theory.

One of the advantages of this cartridge is that it performs pretty well with supersonics as well.  Using supersonics it behaves just like other cartridges and the added barrel length will give additional velocity, though not as much as many due to the case to bore ratio but that is another discussion.

The longer barrel makes sense if you want to get the most out of supersonics and still be able to shoot subsonics.  It also makes perfect sense not wanting to spend the extra $200.  While my 300/221 is a 10.5" I certainly won't condemn the use of a 16" barrel.
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 6:36:08 PM EDT
[#37]
My whisper barrel is 16" in MO. you have to hold an ffl and then apply for the tax stamp for both the suppressor and the sbr. I would love to have both but im not wanting to go through the whole process. If it where as easy as going to a shop paying the money and getting what I want it may be different.
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 7:21:35 PM EDT
[#38]
I need the 14.5 pinned FH here in NC . I also need Kurt to convert it to x40 and ribless P-mags .
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 8:22:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Not having seen them, are the new Troy polymer mags ribless?  Could those be the cat's meow for this caliber?  I dunno...

I sure don't see a rib....

Link Posted: 10/19/2010 8:39:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Not having seen them, are the new Troy polymer mags ribless?  Could those be the cat's meow for this caliber?  I dunno...

I sure don't see a rib....

http://store.troyind.com/v/vspfiles/photos/SMAG-SIN-00BT-00-7.jpg

naw......no luck.....have a rib.....

Link Posted: 10/20/2010 4:47:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
There is some merit to the comment that a longer barrel doesn't make sense if you only mean with subsonics.  I don't recall the exact length but if I remember right the ideal barrel length (all powder burned and pressure used before friction with the barrel starts slowing the projectile back down) is around 11" or 12".  Anything more than that requires more powder for the same velocity and will contribute to velocity dispersion.  I wonder how AAC/Remington plans to address this as it is one of the reasons that most 300 Whisper guns require custom loads for thier barrel length and gas systems.  Perhaps 9" and 16" are the two that average out to 1000fps with the factory load they are planning with the slower AA1680 powder (it is fast powder, but on the slow end of the spectrum for loads in this application).  Perhaps the 9" doesn't get every last fps from the round and the 16" does but then slows it back down to 1000fps?  I don't know, that is just a theory.

I think Altair is right on the money here. I have 3 whisper ar15s, a 7, 10 and 16 inch. I have tried a bunch of powders/bullet combination's  trying to find a single subsonic load that will give me about 1000fps out of all 3 guns. The best I can do is 2 out of 3 and its always the 7 inch and 16 inch barrels. The 10 inch runs about 75 - 150 fps faster depending on the load. If I load for 1000 fps in the 10 inch barrel  the other 2 are down in the upper 800 - lower 900 fps range again depending on the load. I see a lot of posts about people wanting the BLACKOUT in different barrel lengths, I hope they plan on rolling their own loads and not thinking that the one subsonic BLACKOUT load will stay subsonic in their chosen barrel length. It may or may not. I think the 9 inch and 16 inch lengths were chosen for the reason Altair talks about above, the two average out to close to 1000fps. If you change the equation you change the results.
Link Posted: 10/20/2010 5:57:47 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

This would be a great cartridge for Remington to reintroduce the 788 with.

Are they reintroducing the 788?

I love mine in 6mm rem.

Link Posted: 10/20/2010 12:30:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Some additional information.

There is a PDF from BrassFetcher.com with gel testing done with alot of supersonic bullets used in the 300 Whisper, which will also make them the most likely with the 300 BLK.  It is here:
300 Blackout Gel Testing

Barnes is also now producing a 110gr TAC-X .308" bullet designed for the velocities achieved with a 300 BLK or with a .308 SBR.  Here is a link to them on the Barnes website:
110gr .308 SBR TAC-X

It doesn't sound like Barnes will produce these in great quantities so I picked up 300 today.  Perhaps if they are popular with the BLK/Whisper/300-221 crowd and we buy them up quickly and show continued interest that will change.  I also suspect they will work very well with other low velocity .308 rounds like the 7.62x39 and 7.62x40.  I'm hoping Barnes decides to make them a regular production item.  I assume they are made in the same way they make the 95gr TTSX for the 6.8 SPC which expands down to 1600fps.  I'm waiting on a return email from Barnes to confirm the exact velocity window for this bullet.
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 1:01:13 PM EDT
[#44]
I for one think it is about time the 300/221 got standardized and commercially produced hopefully by a few big names to help out non-reloaders like me

Now how about this being chambered also in a remington 7615P rifle?
Light weight
Natural pointing
Fast cycling (for a manual cycle rifle)
No action noise like you get with an ar15 (if the gas block is turned on)
Cycles the same with both sub and super sonic bullets
Uses ar15 magazines
compact length
only a new barrel would need to be added everything else is GTG

I think this would be an awesome package to put this cartridge in

Just my opinion based on too much soda pop today
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 1:07:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Stretch, I asked that same question on silencertalk forums and got no real response.  Those 7615's are kinda overpriced, but the concept is great.  Reliable pump gun with a 30rd mag.  In 300BLK with the threaded barrel and all it would be a sweet little carbine for sure!!  I wonder what it would take to rebarrel one of those?  I'll have to check out my dadinlaw's 6mm pump Rem.
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 2:49:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Curly-

Tomorrow I am going to call ASI (Accuracy systemts inc)  I think that is their name.  They special in accurizing the 7600 rifles. If anyone can do it it will be them.  The only problem is that like any good thing in life it will cost more money than I have

I think that if Remington is going to market this as a round intended towards LEO then they should offer it in all of their LEO rifles that are chambered in .223 that way I could get one .  

When I find out how much it would cost to convert I will let you know.
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 3:45:28 PM EDT
[#47]
this thread needs a few pics

Link Posted: 10/23/2010 10:59:54 AM EDT
[#50]
Tried my Noveske 10.5" 300FB/BLK today for the first time. Loved it! I tried 6.05-6.1 grains of Red Dot under 175s. Very quiet with and without Nexus III 45 pistol can. Unfortunately, it would not cycle despite SA carrier and standard carbine buffer. The chrono results were as follows:

1074 - first shot with Noveske 10.5" FB barrel
1079 - with pistol can
1067 - with pistol can
1099 - with pistol can
1056 - with pistol can

Might a buffer lighter than standard carbine buffer work? It was so quiet that id like to stay with this fast powder if I can get it to cycle.  Another guy suggested 6.5grains of blue dot under 175 cycles for him but not sure if that is subsonic.

308 LMT MWS & LMT MRP in 300FB/BLK... Both launching 175s
Page / 24
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top