Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2015 5:52:14 AM EDT
I post things I find that are good from companies as well as bad.

My brother's Radical Firearms 5.56 1:9 middy barrel un-torqued itself from it's barrel extension. This was found just handling the barrel, no torquing anything.

Keep in mind, that any torquing of a muzzle device on or off was done in a barrel vise with the barrel removed, since he had an MGI Hydra upper (long story short, it would dent the aluminum where the bbl extension contacts if you torqued muzzle devices in it). So there was no torque put on the extension AT ALL.

I live in Houston, they melonite their barrels locally at Houston Plating. I had to do some meloniting myself there and they mentioned they they do Radical Firearms' barrels. I asked if they did it with the barrel extensions on and let me know that they would not be able to tell me one way or another.

On another side note, we have had one of their BCGs have a gas key loosen up as well. This brought a gas leak, put the gun out of commission for the day.

I am hoping they will replace it. since torquing it back to it's alignment to the gas port will prove to be not as much torque as the first time and is sure to loosen up again.

Quoted:
Update:

They offered to retorque it..
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 5:54:14 AM EDT
[#1]
If he used barrel vise blocks, how would it be possible for the extension to unscrew? That doesn't make any sense unless the blocks weren't tight and the barrel slipped.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 5:56:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If he used barrel vise blocks, how would it be possible for the extension to unscrew? That doesn't make any sense unless the blocks weren't tight and the barrel slipped.
View Quote

This was not during un-torquing or torquing a muzzle device. He just noticed it yesterday, taking the barrel out of the MGI hydra.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:57:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I have one of these barrels for a future build. I'm not getting a good feeling about this purchase.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:27:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have one of these barrels for a future build. I'm not getting a good feeling about this purchase.
View Quote

You and me both, I was using it as a budget build not feeling confident anymore.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 2:18:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I have around 500rds thru my radical 16" socom middy, no issues yet but it's now in my spare parts pile. I swapped it out for a Faxon 14.5 pencil, after adding a 1x6 scope the rifle was a little to heavy and had really poor balance with the socom barrel profile and 1.5lb of scope on top... MUCH better now with the ULW Faxon barrel.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 3:19:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Update:

Link Posted: 8/6/2015 4:02:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Update:

View Quote

With customer service like this Radical better hope the can keep a good first time buyer market. I'd send it back, let them figure out how to get it into torque spec and at the same time keeping head space/gas port alignment...
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 7:15:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Update:

View Quote

The proper response should have been "We're sending you a new barrel, and a call tag for the old one"
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 10:13:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Been discussed before and unless they changed their process since then, they melonite with extension installed. This is not the correct manner to make sure barrel extension stays at proper torque levels. I believe this was even confirmed by Radical. The Radical barrel I bought had its extension come loose. The replacement barrel is still in the plastic webbing barrels are shipped in. Don't think I will ever use it and regret taking a chance on it. I will stick with AR15Performance and Faxon barrels from now on.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 11:08:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a Radical melonite 16" middy (PA "Black Friday" $65 clearance) that is holding up so far. I'm not to confident after reading this, recurring, issue with them.
Have there been any reports of any PA "Black Friday" $65 16" 1/7 melonite middies with this issue? I'm wondering if this is why PA "cleared" them out so cheap?
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 12:54:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have a Radical melonite 16" middy (PA "Black Friday" $65 clearance) that is holding up so far. I'm not to confident after reading this, recurring, issue with them.
Have there been any reports of any PA "Black Friday" $65 16" 1/7 melonite middies with this issue? I'm wondering if this is why PA "cleared" them out so cheap?
View Quote

I am in the same boat.  Mine is built and I have shot it and it worked, but now I am not very confident in it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 1:43:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Now thinking about it, I made one with the 1:7 for a friend.. Not good..

ETA: my brother has a 10.5" carbine in 7.62x39 from them on his SBR..

Yeah guys, the thing just came off. No tools needed.

To be honest, there was not that much distance from the blind pin to the gas tube. So barely any torque will be used the next time. It was literally like less than 1/4" away to alignment.

there is no way this thing was torqued to over 100ftlb after melonitng. This is bad.

Faxon all the way.. they have any barrel profile I would want + use the awesome 1:8 twist that covers any round out of an AR mag. I have their 14.5" It's amazing..
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 6:44:56 PM EDT
[#13]
There was another dude that had 2 of these barrels and they weren't torqued either. I would steer clear from this company.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 7:38:24 PM EDT
[#14]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q43C6eUXB-k

Yep. I'm 95% sure they melonite their barrels with the extension installed.

Please spread the word.. This is so immoral to sell these barrels like this.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 7:02:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

I had to fix a Radical Upper, The guy was having nothing but issues. Took the gas block off, and the gas port is melonited, so that is confirmation that they melonite with barrel extensions on and gas ports drilled which means one can not torque barrel extension to proper torquing specs without throwing the gas port alignment off.

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 5:31:26 PM EDT
[#16]
I have one of their BCG's in .308 that's also having issues.

I took a chance on Radical because they were offered through Primary Arms.... I lost.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 7:50:02 PM EDT
[#17]
My son in law has over 1200 rounds (that's not a lot really) through his Black Friday "Radical" special with no issues at all...  It was built as an economy rifle but has been better than that.  However, that's not to say that we won't consider replacing the barrel with a Faxon when the time comes.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 7:50:54 PM EDT
[#18]
I have one of their x39 barrels and have torqued and retorqued a saker supp mount several times, no problems. I will continue to watch it but i have plenty of rounds down the tube and it has been great.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:18:03 AM EDT
[#19]
I just recently purchased a 16" SOCOM barreled upper assembly w/ 12" Seekins from Primary for a new build after reading stellar reviews from various sources. I installed a DD BCG and Raptor CH. So far everything has been perfect. This thread had me questioning if I made a bad purchase so I contacted RF and here's what they had to say on the matter:

Hi ****,

Thank you for contacting us. The extensions are loosened prior to QPQ to relieve any stress on the threads. We QPQ them and then we torque them to spec, time them and check headspace. Let me know if you need anything else.

Thank you,
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 2:40:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I just recently purchased a 16" SOCOM barreled upper assembly w/ 12" Seekins from Primary for a new build after reading stellar reviews from various sources. I installed a DD BCG and Raptor CH. So far everything has been perfect. This thread had me questioning if I made a bad purchase so I contacted RF and here's what they had to say on the matter:

Hi ****,

Thank you for contacting us. The extensions are loosened prior to QPQ to relieve any stress on the threads. We QPQ them and then we torque them to spec, time them and check headspace. Let me know if you need anything else.

Thank you,
View Quote

Going off of that, I'm guessing that they:

Import barrels assembled (with gas ports not yet drilled?)
Loosen barrel nut
QPQ
Tighten barrel nut
Drill gas port?

I'm sorry. But I put my money on:

They Melonite them fully assembled and drilled.

Either way, whatever they're doing, it's not working. And they're not treating their customers right by just offering to retorque it.

Faxon all the way..
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 4:08:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The proper response should have been "We're sending you a new barrel, and a call tag for the old one"
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Update:

Right.....or just a full refund.  Something like that doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy about their barrel anymore.  Too many other quality barrels out there.  

Hard to beat the ones from BA, Aero Precision, Faxon, AR15 Performance, Voodoo plus others. No need to "wonder".  I have rifles with barrels from BA, Aero and AR15 Performance and all three fit and finish were fantastic and quite accurate.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:32:17 AM EDT
[#22]
I was given one and installed it on my first build with no issues so far, but I'm considering replacing it with a better quality barrel at some point. While I haven't had any trouble, I'm just not crazy about all the negative reports.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:37:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Maybe they just need a new torque wrench...............

Quoted:

Loosen barrel nut
QPQ
Tighten barrel nut
Drill gas port?

Either way, whatever they're doing, it's not working. And they're not treating their customers right by just offering to retorque it.

Faxon all the way..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hi ****,

Thank you,

Loosen barrel nut
QPQ
Tighten barrel nut
Drill gas port?

Faxon all the way..

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:53:24 PM EDT
[#24]
I have used a few of the uppers. Had an issue, customer service was great. Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:00:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Are these the guys that split off from Houston Armory?  If so, I was never impressed with them or their work. I had very I little exposure other then talking with them at a couple trade shows and looking at their display guns
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:07:47 AM EDT
[#26]
I bought a Radical 16" M4 profile barrel during one of their sales and planned to use it for a budget build.  I've reconsidered and will be using one of these Green Mountain 16" NATO M4 $79. I feel much better now.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 3:34:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Jeez. Just buy a Faxon. They are a good group of people, their product is very economical, and its performance is out of proportion to its cost.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 4:20:58 PM EDT
[#28]
That's an excellent deal on a Green mountain barrel.

M4 profile isn't the current AR-hipster style, but who cares
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 4:53:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Jeez. Just buy a Faxon. They are a good group of people, their product is very economical, and its performance is out of proportion to its cost.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Jeez. The cheapest available Faxon 16" (SKU 15A58C16N4Q) is just 90% more than what I spent on the Green Mountain barrel, including shipping. Besides, Green Mountain barrels are renowned for being a POS and it's just my money.

Quoted:
That's an excellent deal on a Green mountain barrel.

M4 profile isn't the current AR-hipster style, but who cares

I'm with you. I really don't care about the profile. First, it's hidden by a 15" rail. Secondly, the build is for a loaner AR. Students/friends with more eclectic tastes can buy their own.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 5:31:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I bought a Radical 16" M4 profile barrel during one of their sales and planned to use it for a budget build.  I've reconsidered and will be using one of these Green Mountain 16" NATO M4 $79. I feel much better now.
View Quote

what if Radical Firearms used Green Mountain blanks?!?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:12:17 AM EDT
[#31]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

what if Radical Firearms used Green Mountain blanks?!?

See the thread above about barrel extension and subsequent customer service issues.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:00:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Had the same issue with a completed upper purchased last black Friday.

Good thing I took to a gunsmith to switch out the handguard otherwise I would have shot it and who knows what could have happened.

Gunsmith called RF just for them to tell him that he doesn't know what he's doing and accepted no responsibility or offer to make it right (I'm paraphrasing but you carch my drift). I ended up trashing the barrel. No more "budget builds" for me
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:22:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Good thing I took to a gunsmith to switch out the handguard otherwise I would have shot it and who knows what could have happened.

Gunsmith called RF just for them to tell him that he doesn't know what he's doing and accepted no responsibility or offer to make it right (I'm paraphrasing but you carch my drift). I ended up trashing the barrel. No more "budget builds" for me
View Quote

Was it the $65 black Friday PA RF 16" midlength 1/7 barrel special? I even used a clamshell for the FH on mine and had zero issue. It shoots fine, although it's on my scoped AR so I have minimal rounds through it. Now, with all these negative comments, I'm wishing I had gone a different route. I just don't trust it at this point (anymore).
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:43:05 PM EDT
[#34]
I have a 8.5" .300 upper that out of the box had burs in the chamber that would stick some brands of commercial ammo. Rfs customer support recommended I take it to a gunsmith and have the chamber honed .
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:59:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Was it the $65 black Friday PA RF 16" midlength 1/7 barrel special? I even used a clamshell for the FH on mine and had zero issue. It shoots fine, although it's on my scoped AR so I have minimal rounds through it. Now, with all these negative comments, I'm wishing I had gone a different route. I just don't trust it at this point (anymore).
View Quote

I am on the same boat.  I am not extremely confident with this barrel.  I am going out to shoot my rifle with this barrel tonight again.  The times I have shot it, it did shoot well and was fairly accurate but now it is a worry every time I go out with it.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:43:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Still shooting mine with no probs yet. I dont get it, if ur gun is shooting well and hasn't had a problem, is it just gonna fall apart on you? I also talked to primary arms today about radical firearms because they sell a ton of their stuff and they said radical firearms would back up whatever they produce.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:07:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was the barrel yeah but it was an assembled upper!! It wasn't even caught at assembly? Made me seriously question quality control since I got the run around customer service wise.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:59:37 PM EDT
[#38]
I sent my assembled upper back to PA for a refund. I have no confidence in it and didn't really need it anyway. Why put the premium BCG and CH I have in it when it's not a premium item? I'll put those parts in a higher end upper.
But in the end, this thread, and the fact that this brand new RF upper had marks up and down the barrel under the 12" Seekins keymod handguard told me that assembly was careless at best. Not only that but the Seekins had scratches at the attach points. I'm sort of picky about brand new stuff not having scratches so I had to reject it on principal.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:34:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Please stop repeating this. There is nothing inherently wrong with meloniting a barrel with the extension as long as some reasonable process is used. The melonite process cannot magically untorque a barrel... if it did, the extension would be obviously not centered anymore.

The only issue is if they were insufficiently torqued during manufacture.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 3:30:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Please stop repeating this. There is nothing inherently wrong with meloniting a barrel with the extension as long as some reasonable process is used. The melonite process cannot magically untorque a barrel... if it did, the extension would be obviously not centered anymore.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am saying that it will make the extension come off after meloniting, I am saying that it weakens it's torque. If it did not, then why would radical firearms make a video "Removing a Muzzle Device From a Melonited Barrel"?

They torque to spec, melonite, extension torque weakens, then barrel comes off. Simple.

Manufactures that have claimed to do their barrels right (extension removed, melonite barrel, torque extension, drill gas port) have not had issues like this. Yet, companies that won't answer how they do it, as well have shown proof to be doing it wrong (like melonited coating in gas port) have their extensions coming loose.

Link Posted: 9/5/2015 4:12:34 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm no metallurgist, but with the heat that involved in nitriding (melonite) a part,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitriding
I see no qualms about people being concerned about toque. Heat will EASILY affect torque between two parts. Please provide why you feel otherwise if you're going to condemn people opposing it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 1:06:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
They torque to spec, melonite, extension torque weakens, then barrel comes off. Simple.

Manufactures that have claimed to do their barrels right (extension removed, melonite barrel, torque extension, drill gas port) have not had issues like this. Yet, companies that won't answer how they do it, as well have shown proof to be doing it wrong (like melonited coating in gas port) have their extensions coming loose.
View Quote

Except you're wrong, and many thousands of barrels for some large companies bear that out.

Your expression of "extension torque weakens" might as well be "magic happens here". There is no physical process to account for that. When the parts are heated during the infusion stages, the parts will expand, but there is no action on the parts to move the two in relation to each other, and they contract again back to original size when cooling back to normal temperature. The temperature cycle of melonite does not permanently alter the dimensions of the parts which is what would have to happen for it to alter the torque value.

Again, if the torque value changes, the parts would have to be moved in relation to one another which would be obvious. The only way I can see that happening is if there is so little torque on the part originally that during heating the effective torque on the extension becomes zero - that's not a melonite problem.

There have been plenty of examples of loose barrel extensions on non-melonited barrels also, how do those happen? Does whatever cause those magically not apply to melonited barrels?
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 2:09:55 PM EDT
[#43]
I have their 16 inch melinite upper. It has help up great. Nothing has come lose. Only complaint I had was it was a pain to remove the flash hider.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top