Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2015 12:04:45 AM EDT
Wanting to start building my upper, but I'm clueless in regards to quality of barrels from companies.  I was looking at the following barrel

http://shop.doasales.net/Outbreak-Ordnance-AR15-16-M4-Wyld-Chamber-1-7-twist-556-223-OBO16M417.htm

Any thoughts on the outbreak ordinance barrels?  Any good or stay away?

How about radical firearms barrels?   Any other suggestions in that price range?

Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 1:35:12 AM EDT
[#1]
don't go cheap on the barrel or the bcg.  It cost between 10 and 12 bucks to fill up a magazine.  So for less than the cost of firing a few magazines you can get a quality barrel that will last a lifetime.   I know nothing about the barrel you linked to except that is a plain molly barrel.  Radical firearms is cheap.  You will get what you pay for.  Your not paying much so your not getting much of a barrel.

Spend a little more and you can get a heck of a barrel.

sionicsweaponsystems
or
gmriflebarrel.
or
.faxonfirearms
or ballisticadvantage
or even this if you have the coin.
.bravocompanyusa
these guys are good to
integrityarms is veteran owned

At a minimum i'd suggest melonite, or nitride that torques on the barrel extension after the melonite treatment.   My preference is 4150 steel  and chrome lined

If it's your first build i'd suggest getting a barrel that is dimpled for the gas block.  Sionics or bcm both sell barrels that are dimpled.  Integrity will dimple a barrel they sell for an extra fee.   If you fall in love with a barrel that isn't dimpled mail it off to adcofirearms.

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 8:50:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the input and for the suggestions, I'll take a look at them.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 9:16:15 AM EDT
[#3]
if i was going to get a 16 inch it would be a midliength.   Sionics is the one i'm most interested in.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 6:12:57 PM EDT
[#4]
look at ar15performance.com.  They make really nice stuff at reasonable prices.  5R rifling and everything is melonited for truly long-lasting service.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 8:00:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
look at ar15performance.com.  They make really nice stuff at reasonable prices.  5R rifling and everything is melonited for truly long-lasting service.
View Quote

+1

Love mine!
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 8:01:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
if i was going to get a 16 inch it would be a midliength.   Sionics is the one i'm most interested in.
View Quote

I spoke with them on the phone today...they use Green Mountain blanks for their barrels, doesn't get much better.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 8:18:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I spoke with them on the phone today...they use Green Mountain blanks for their barrels, doesn't get much better.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 10:31:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
 Right on, ARP is top of the heap, followed closely by Wilson Combat and WOA for the typical lighter profile barrels.  For heavier barrels such as used in NRA highpower, check out Lilja, Shilen, Compass Lake, et al.  

My favorite for 5.56 barrels in military configuration is Green Mountain.  My first build has a GM 20" govt profile barrel, 1in8 twist, chrome lined and rifle gas.  In spite of the barrel's low cost, this is easily my most accurate rifle using my handloads. - CW

http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/ar-15-m16-m4-rifle-barrels/

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 10:21:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the feedback everyone!  I will look into these barrels.  Hopefully they are reasonable enough for my cheapo build, which seems to being not so cheap :). I've never been able to do just the bare minimum, haha
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 10:34:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Anyone use bison armory barrels?
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top