Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2015 2:42:27 PM EDT
I'm trying to build an AR based on my take on the SPR concept. I'm trying to keep the weight around the 7 to 8 pound range.Therefore, the barrel I'm looking for must have a Government or Medium Profile, utilizing a Rifle-length gas system, a 1:7 or 1:8 twist rate, chambered in 5.56 NATO or .223 Wylde, and a chrome-lined bore or better.

Thing is, should I go with the 18 for a bit more maneuverability & compactness? Or the 20 for the extra velocity & better dwell time?

Are there any problems with the rifle gas system on an 18?

And has anyone tried out the barrels from Faxon Firearms?

Thank You

P.S.: In case your wondering I'll be using an A2 stock.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 3:03:23 PM EDT
[#1]
18" hands down. Velocity difference is going to be minimal. I've had 16,18, and a 20 barrel ARs now. Unless I'm building a clone I'll be sticking with the 18" barrel from here on out on my builds.

And my SPR (18" White Oak) that I built recently has a mid-length gas system and has shot well.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 3:55:02 PM EDT
[#2]
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XFXB18RBK&name=FAXON+FIREARMS+18%22+5.56%2f.223+Caliber+4150+CMV+Steel+AR+Barrel&groupid=2144

That's what I'd get unless you are wanting extreme accuracy and then I'd go with a higher end stainless barrel.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 3:59:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:40:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Faxon is building a light wt 18" at a decent price check out that thread 1:8

QPQ lining though
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 11:03:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Get this Blackhole and let me know what you think. That's what I want for my 18".
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 3:48:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I have an 18” Criterion rifle gas heavy barrel.
It is under gassed with the same spring and buffer setup my 18” DD mid length runs good with.
That is just an observation not saying the 18” barrel with rifle gas is the cause.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:49:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm trying to build an AR based on my take on the SPR concept. I'm trying to keep the weight around the 7 to 8 pound range.Therefore, the barrel I'm looking for must have a Government or Medium Profile, utilizing a Rifle-length gas system, a 1:7 or 1:8 twist rate, chambered in 5.56 NATO or .223 Wylde, and a chrome-lined bore or better.

Thing is, should I go with the 18 for a bit more maneuverability & compactness? Or the 20 for the extra velocity & better dwell time?

Are there any problems with the rifle gas system on an 18?

And has anyone tried out the barrels from Faxon Firearms?

Thank You

P.S.: In case your wondering I'll be using an A2 stock.
View Quote

We have. Extensively. ;)

Can we assist with any questions?
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 1:11:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Look at Green Mountain and AR15Performance, both have fantastic 18 & 20 inch barrels, great pricing too!
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 7:24:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Considering there's less dwell time compared to a 20, are there any problems with a rifle length gas system on an 18?

In your opinion, would both the 20 & 18 work on a SPR-style rifle or is one better than the other? Reason I ask is because I'll be mainly shooting 55 to 62 grain bullets with the occasional 69 to 77 grain.

And on your website when the optional gas block is chosen, do you install it on the barrel or does the buyer have to do it?  

Thank you
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:00:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Considering there's less dwell time compared to a 20, are there any problems with a rifle length gas system on an 18?

In your opinion, would both the 20 & 18 work on a SPR-style rifle or is one better than the other? Reason I ask is because I'll be mainly shooting 55 to 62 grain bullets with the occasional 69 to 77 grain.

And on your website when the optional gas block is chosen, do you install it on the barrel or does the buyer have to do it?  

Thank you
View Quote

No issues at all. It's my preferred gas set up.

Both will work well.

Buyer installs. It's just Allen screws.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 11:13:58 PM EDT
[#11]
One thing I completely forgot to ask you: are the barrels already dimpled, or does one have to order a gas block with the barrel?
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 7:29:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'd buy the 18" hybrid barrel by Criterion

click
View Quote

I second this recommendation.  For me it would either be the Criterion hybrid, or FN's CHF 18" depending on if accuracy, or durability were my primary concern.  You can get the FN CHF 18" barrel from Riflegear.com or Brownells.  

They both come standard with .093 size gas ports which may be slightly undergassed for an 18" rifle length gas system.  I would recommend you open up the gas port a bit, or otherwise use a lightweight bolt carrier if staying with the .093 gas port.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 1:09:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Hey blain I got your msg:

So far no gas issues with the Criterion Barrels Inc 18inch hybrid profile.

I have shot primarily reloads and no failures or jams. I had shot AE223j, as well as M193, and several reloads with no hint of trouble. I'm using the VLTOR A5 system.

I was shooting in the wind trying to grasp the potential of the rifles accuracy with 69smk and 25 grains of Varget.

A 6 round group measures .822 MOA and adding a 7th round which was pushed consistent with the wind made the group 1.3 minutes. The remaining shots on paper were so far right I excluded them and this was at 200 yards. I used ONTARGET.

I want to get out one more time for testing on a less windy day, but so far the Criterion looks like it can shoot with the best.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 1:14:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Another recommendation here for the 18" Faxon's.  Fantastic barrels!!
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 2:25:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Hey blain I got your msg:

So far no gas issues with the Criterion Barrels Inc 18inch hybrid profile.

I have shot primarily reloads and no failures or jams. I had shot AE223j, as well as M193, and several reloads with no hint of trouble. I'm using the VLTOR A5 system.

I was shooting in the wind trying to grasp the potential of the rifles accuracy with 69smk and 25 grains of Varget.

A 6 round group measures .822 MOA and adding a 7th round which was pushed consistent with the wind made the group 1.3 minutes. The remaining shots on paper were so far right I excluded them and this was at 200 yards. I used ONTARGET.

I want to get out one more time for testing on a less windy day, but so far the Criterion looks like it can shoot with the best.
View Quote

Interesting data, thanks.  What is your ejection pattern like?  Your brass must be ejecting out around 5 o'clock.  An 18" barrel with 20" sized gass port (.093) has super soft recoil.

Do you have a chrony?
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 4:39:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Not yet, its on the list of things to get... Problem is my bank account ran aground this month due to child related expenses.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 4:12:34 AM EDT
[#17]
I've built several iterations of the rifle you speak of.

Go 18" especially for a lightweight SPR
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top