Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Tacked MRP Badness, chapter 3 (Page 71 of 143)
Page / 143
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 2:59:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: emtothedee] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By foughtstrong:

What bushing?
View Quote
I think it’s the piece of metal inside where the barrel extension slides into. My barrel would rotate about 1/8-1/4 inch when it was slid in before the bolts were torqued down. I was somehow able to torque it down with it out of alignment.

I have a video of how much play there was. if anyone cares enough email me and I’ll show you. I don’t know if that’s the case with that one, but it’s the exact same symptoms.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 3:02:55 PM EDT
[#2]
From Gene

“Sorry for the issues Mike.  By looking at the video, it looks like there isn’t a bushing installed into the upper receiver which would prevent that barrel from orienting that far. That’s something that can be repaired and the receiver will be better than new.  Please send me all of your contact information and ill let you know what you need tro do to get this back to us.

Best regards,

Gene Swanson”
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 4:14:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By foughtstrong:
So looking to see if this has happend to anyone else.  Bought a MRP CQB from Brownells and a LMT FA BCG during black Friday last year.  Sent the barrel out chop down to 14.5.  Finally got to the range yesterday.  Shot about 10 rounds unsupressed to sight in my scope.  Then starting shooting supressed, after about another 15 rounds the BCG wouldn't go into battery.  Short story found the gas tube bent and the gas key hole has a slight ding.  I've dry fired this rifle several times and never had any bind up.  I've never seen anything like this.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/436858/IMG_0715_jpeg-806388.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/436858/IMG_0716_jpeg-806389.JPG
View Quote
Is it possible that the tube got dinged a bit while it was out getting chopped? Could've been slight enough that you didn't notice but once tolerances lined up, they caused the key to smack the tube.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 4:25:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

Is it possible that the tube got dinged a bit while it was out getting chopped? Could've been slight enough that you didn't notice but once tolerances lined up, they caused the key to smack the tube.
View Quote
The gas tube is an easy fix. That sucks about the gas key. I have an enhanced carrier and would of had a heart attack if that had happened to mine.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 4:30:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By emtothedee:
The gas tube is an easy fix. That sucks about the gas key. I have an enhanced carrier and would of had a heart attack if that had happened to mine.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I know less than Jack about LMT stuff...is there a difference in their gas keys?
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 4:54:11 PM EDT
[#6]

I know less than Jack about LMT stuff...is there a difference in their gas keys?
View Quote
I don’t think so but are gas keys replaceable?
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 5:07:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Now I know what your talking about, and to clarify to others who might not know what this bushing is....it's the steel insert above the barrel extension area that aligns/eliminates lateral movement of the gas tube once it's seated into the chassis fully.

To the member who's gas tube was bent, does your chassis' bushing look normal, or is it missing, etc.?
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 5:14:01 PM EDT
[#8]
View All Quotes

Absolutely. They're a pretty dumb-simple item, so they rarely get changed out.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 7:16:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By GreasyEasy:
Now I know what your talking about, and to clarify to others who might not know what this bushing is....it's the steel insert above the barrel extension area that aligns/eliminates lateral movement of the gas tube once it's seated into the chassis fully.

https://i.imgur.com/dAEv3pl.jpg

To the member who's gas tube was bent, does your chassis' bushing look normal, or is it missing, etc.?
View Quote
The bushing looks fine.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 8:29:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Off topic, what experience does anyone have with how closely barrel return to zero after being pulled?
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 12:19:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ThePitt] [#11]
Well I wasn't able to shoot the MLR upper this weekend but I fondled it a little more and made some interesting observations.

I'm not sure if there is a standard thickness for mlok rails or the depth of the slots.  If you look on the inside of the upper you can see the interior profile is round and the mlok slots are milled flat and inset the material a little bit.  That is certainly one way to make the rail beefier.  The wall thickness measures about .130" but I dont have a caliper that'll fit to measure the slots.  That's why I'm wondering if there is a standard.  I measured an ALG rail at .090".  Wish I had a G MK16 to compare also if anybody has access.

The gas block is REALLY close to the rail.  IDK how I never noticed it before but even the railed versions are just as close.  The rails and barrels are SOLID though.  If there was going to be an issue with gas block contacting the rail under firing I think we would have known it by now.  The LMTs are known to be quite accurate.  Somebody with more money than my should do a drop test though.  

I'm a bit uncertain if I really like the profile of the handguard.  It is the narrowest/smallest rail I've ever handled and just not sure how comfortable itll be.  I thought ALG rails were a bit narrow at first.
Maybe I just need to find some mlok covers that will add a little girth.  I do not understand why LMT wouldn't have made it a little wider though to accommodate removing a barrel without having to also remove mlok accessories. Maybe I should consider trading for a railed rifle length...

Sorry no pics, my account expired yesterday and I dont feel like buying a new membership or uploading them to a picture hosting site.  
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 12:32:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By ThePitt:
Well I wasn't able to shoot the MLR upper this weekend but I fondled it a little more and made some interesting observations.

I'm not sure if there is a standard thickness for mlok rails or the depth of the slots.  If you look on the inside of the upper you can see the interior profile is round and the mlok slots are milled flat and inset the material a little bit.  That is certainly one way to make the rail beefier.  The thickness measures about .130" but I dont have a caliper that'll fit to measure the slots.  That's why I'm wondering if there is a standard.  I measured an ALG rail at .090".  Wish I had a G MK16 to compare also if anybody has access.

The gas block is REALLY close to the rail.  IDK how I never noticed it before but even the railed versions are just as close.  The rails and barrels are SOLID though.  If there was going to be an issue with gas block contacting the rail under firing I think we would have known it by now.  The LMTs are known to be quite accurate.  Somebody with more money than my should do a drop test though.  

I'm a bit uncertain if I really like the profile of the handguard.  It is the narrowest/smallest rail I've ever handled and just not sure how comfortable itll be.  I thought ALG rails were a bit narrow at first.
Maybe I just need to find some mlok covers that will add a little girth.  I do not understand why LMT wouldn't have made it a little wider though to accommodate removing a barrel without having to also remove mlok accessories. Maybe I should consider trading for a railed rifle length...

Sorry no pics, my account expired yesterday and I dont feel like buying a new membership or uploading them to a picture hosting site.  
View Quote
I wonder if the pdw chassis can be purchased. It’s the same girth as an mws to accommodate an integral suppressor
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 1:23:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GreasyEasy] [#13]

I'm not sure if there is a standard thickness for mlok rails or the depth of the slots.  If you look on the inside of the upper you can see the interior profile is round and the mlok slots are milled flat and inset the material a little bit.  That is certainly one way to make the rail beefier.  The wall thickness measures about .130" but I dont have a caliper that'll fit to measure the slots.  That's why I'm wondering if there is a standard.  I measured an ALG rail at .090".  Wish I had a G MK16 to compare also if anybody has access.

View Quote
I'm the exact opposite....I can't get over how much I like the MLR in the hands over everything I've felt to date.   The last several years my only MRPs that got used were precision based ones due to the heft, and feel in the hands...as I prefer the much better feeling MK1/MK4/EMR rails w/ 14.5" pencil barrels for off hand shooting.   Now those rails feel blocky, and rudimentary compared to the MLR.

I can't even install my barrel with the Railscales on the chassis....I see why people bitched about that.   That said, it's a trade off, and I'd rather have the best feeling handguard vs. the convivence of changing barrels w/out removal of MLOK kit.

I still feel the railed ones are more bombproof, but the MLR is the sleekest, sexiest, and best feeling handguard I've owned by a wide margin.   I've got a used rifle length railed chassis that is used, but not abused that I'd be interested in trading for your MLR.   I don't have manbearpig hands though so I'm sure that has something to do with it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 1:36:30 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm the exact opposite....I can't get over how much I like the MLR in the hands over everything I've felt to date.   The last several years my only MRPs that got used were precision based ones due to the heft, and feel in the hands...as I prefer the much better feeling MK1/MK4/EMR rails w/ 14.5" pencil barrels for off hand shooting.   Now those rails feel blocky, and rudimentary compared to the MLR.

I can't even install my barrel with the Railscales on the chassis....I see why people bitched about that.   That said, it's a trade off, and I'd rather have the best feeling handguard vs. the convivence of changing barrels w/out removal of MLOK kit.

I still feel the railed ones are more bombproof, but the MLR is the sleekest, sexiest, and best feeling handguard I've owned by a wide margin.   I've got a used rifle length railed chassis that is used, but not abused that I'd be interested in trading for your MLR.   I don't have manbearpig hands though so I'm sure that has something to do with it.
View All Quotes

I love the MK1 ergos.  

MK4 is too squarish "+"  feeling

I'm gonna install some rail covers to add some girth and Im sure I'll be fine.  I'll check in here before I go selling/trading it or anything.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 2:00:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GreasyEasy] [#15]

I love the MK1 ergos.  

MK4 is too squarish "+"  feeling

I'm gonna install some rail covers to add some girth and Im sure I'll be fine.  I'll check in here before I go selling/trading it or anything.
View Quote
Agreed about the MK1.  It was my favorite before the MLR by a significant margin, even though my primary/serious use blaster for the last cpl. years sports a very early 13" MK4 with the square cutouts.  I just love that particular rail even though it's has zero accs. rail attachment design outside the forward rails, and does feel too tall in the hands.  The width is perfect imo though.

Hopefully you learn to enjoy the MLR, and if not....I'm your huckleberry if you want a railed one in it's place

ETA:  Here is a pic showing what you were talking about above in regards to the MLOK machining inside the chassis...

And one just showing folks the dramatic difference in width that prevents the barrel install w/ MLOK kit.....

Link Posted: 1/14/2019 9:05:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the comparison. That's why I was wondering if the Kenetic MLOK rails were GTG. Could easily on/off the segments. Not that I intend to add much more then a BIPOD and a torch. Additionally I wonder if the MLOK Covers that snap in would be less intrusive to remove the barrel. My LMT MWS MLOK hasn't arrived yet but I wonder if it has the same issue of not being able the install/remove the barrel w/accessories attached. I don't know why I care as I don't intend on removing the barrel with any regularity, or at all for that matter... If anyone is the market for New take off ERGO grips, I have 2-off a .308 MARS and 1-off of a 5.56. I need a MIAD instead.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 1:10:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Off topic, what experience does anyone have with how closely barrel return to zero after being pulled?
View Quote
Totally ON topic  This is the MRP awesomeness thread after all.

A couple times I've shot a group at 50 yds, pulled the barrel, reinstalled, then shot another group.  No perceivable shift in POI at that range with the same barrel.  Could it be enough to matter at longer ranges?  I don't know.  For my uses I have no doubt that pulling and reinstalling the same barrel won't require adjusting the sights/optics.

FWIW I've seen some talk of swapping in a completely different barrel and expecting no shift in POI.  That isn't even a reasonable expectation IMHO, as every barrel is a little different even if they're the same configuration.  I don't think this is what you're asking, just putting that out there in addition to the above.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 1:13:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Sabre675:
Thanks for the comparison. That's why I was wondering if the Kenetic MLOK rails were GTG. Could easily on/off the segments. Not that I intend to add much more then a BIPOD and a torch. Additionally I wonder if the MLOK Covers that snap in would be less intrusive to remove the barrel.
View Quote
There are a bunch of different mlok covers out there and they differ in how much they protrude on the inside.  I have some that snap in and poke inward farther than normal mlok fasteners.  On the other hand, the BCM covers don't protrude much at all, the downside being that they don't stay put sometimes.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 1:31:07 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote
As long as the barrel is torqued back down to the same value as when it was zeroed...you shouldn't lose any significant POI...if any...
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 3:35:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Big brother came today :-) It's gonna be sweet with the shorter Marvin Pits Ball Milled barrel! Just waiting for the MARS-Heavy Lower.. And then the real wait begins-Optics, Mounts, bipods, etc....$$$$

http://s1378.photobucket.com/user/Kiloecho1776/media/IMG_7940_zpswwknev2t.jpg.html?o=2

Sorry about the photo link again...Click if interested

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 4:02:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GreasyEasy] [#21]
Big brother came today :-) It's gonna be sweet with the shorter Marvin Pits Ball Milled barrel! Just waiting for the MARS-Heavy Lower.. And then the real wait begins-Optics, Mounts, bipods, etc....$$$$

http://s1378.photobucket.com/user/Kiloecho1776/media/IMG_7940_zpswwknev2t.jpg.html?o=2

Sorry about the photo link again...Click if interested

Thanks
View Quote
We need to teach you how to take, and upload pics of your guns, and kit given you have some of the nicest stuff made.    The amount of awesomeness crammed into this one picture is pushing the limits of photography, and I suggest next time you space out the awesomeness over several pictures

That MWS w/ dimpled barrel is just wicked!   After the MLR, I think I have to get one for the MWS.

" />

ETA:   Give Imgur.com or tinypic.com a try instead of photopuckit.  Tinypic has some aids on it, but it's free and they didn't try to break the internet.   Imgur is the best though currently in my view.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 4:04:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Lol. Thanks again buddy...^^^^^^
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 5:28:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Nothing like scoring a Seekonk 140in/lb Tq Wrench on eBay for $20 shipped LNIB for your LMT . Last week, scored a 60in/lb torque wrench for my MCX $15...was LNIB as well...

Saved me over $300
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 5:49:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By thehun06:
Nothing like scoring a Seekonk 140in/lb Tq Wrench on eBay for $20 shipped LNIB for your LMT . Last week, scored a 60in/lb torque wrench for my MCX $15...was LNIB as well...

Saved me over $300
View Quote
Nice, before the new LMT TW, I considered the Seekonk the gold standard for the job.  Never could pony up the coin for one though.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 6:17:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thehun06] [#25]

Nice, before the new LMT TW, I considered the Seekonk the gold standard for the job.  Never could pony up the coin for one though.
View Quote
Me neither...but getting one for $20 bucks was a no-brainer...especially since it appears like new.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 6:39:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Anyone have any leads on a MARS stripped lower? Want to build one up with an A5 and some other goodies.

Then I need to decide on MLC vs MRP.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 6:46:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By sveesix:
Anyone have any leads on a MARS stripped lower? Want to build one up with an A5 and some other goodies.

View Quote
Not sure how long it takes to actually receive it....

https://www.tombstonetactical.com/catalog/lmt/m7sl-mars-l-ar-15-stripped-lower-receiver/
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 7:43:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By sveesix:

View Quote
Check Gun Gallery Jax,  http://www.gungalleryjax.com/armory/pc/home.asp

When they ordered mine 2 months ago they ordered more than 1.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 5:10:05 PM EDT
[#29]
So, USPS seems to have lost my MLR upper.  Good thing I have another one

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 5:43:09 PM EDT
[#30]

Link Posted: 1/16/2019 5:50:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Dead sexy!!  Glad to see others using the MRO too. I dig mine.

Cheers
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 5:54:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By buddyhoohaw:

Cheers
View All Quotes

Cheers
I agree I love mine. I have a green and a red and love them both. Thanks for the compliment brother
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 6:11:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By hammermill290:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/409179/2019-01-15_19_06_34_jpg-810081.JPG
View Quote
Is that 14.5" or 16"...? I can't tell. If it's 14.5, is it midlength or carbine? Very Nice btw.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 6:57:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Is that 14.5" or 16"...? I can't tell. If it's 14.5, is it midlength or carbine? Very Nice btw.
View All Quotes

Thanks, that's a factory 14.5" barrel with the AAC mount pinned/welded on.  Carbine gas system.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 6:58:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By jtdam24:
I agree I love mine. I have a green and a red and love them both. Thanks for the compliment brother
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jtdam24:

Cheers
I just recently got my first MRO and put it on one of my MRP's.  I'm really liking it so far.  Might have to replace some of my old Aimpoint micros.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 7:18:01 PM EDT
[#36]
View All Quotes

Thanks. I'm teetering on chopping and pinning to 14.5 to retain midlength or simply pinning like you've done... I've gotta ship it off either way. Any regrets keeping it carbine?
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 8:12:12 PM EDT
[#37]

Thanks. I'm teetering on chopping and pinning to 14.5 to retain midlength or simply pinning like you've done... I've gotta ship it off either way. Any regrets keeping it carbine?
View Quote
Nah, the factory 14.5" barrel works great.  I also have a 14.5" midlength, chopped from a 16", and if I had to pick one I'd pick the factory barrel with carbine gas just because I'd trust it more in terms of reliability.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 1:21:06 PM EDT
[#38]
I really screwed up not jumping on that $300 11.5" barrel. If anyone has a 10.5" or 11.5" barrel, I would like one ASAP
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 1:45:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Received my Seekonk MR1 TQ Wrench for the LMTs...wow...what a difference in quality compared the OEM wrenches (even the new one).

It is heavy duty and the torque break is very smooth. They aren't cheap new...about $180...but if you are lucky like me...you can find some in great condition on eBay from time to time...I got mine from $20 and it was lnib.

Worthy investment if you ask me, especially if you have multiple LMTs.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 2:05:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By thehun06:
Received my Seekonk MR1 TQ Wrench for the LMTs...wow...what a difference in quality compared the OEM wrenches (even the new one).

It is heavy duty and the torque break is very smooth. They aren't cheap new...about $180...but if you are lucky like me...you can find some in great condition on eBay from time to time...I got mine from $20 and it was lnib.

Worthy investment if you ask me, especially if you have multiple LMTs.
View Quote
I bought one way back, 2005 I think, and recently had it checked for calibration.
The tech was surprised when it was over 95% accurate, his limit for calibration.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 2:06:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By edwin907:

I bought one way back, 2005 I think, and recently had it checked for calibration.
The tech was surprised when it was over 95% accurate, his limit for calibration.
View Quote
They are pretty robust.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 2:12:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By AZ2A:
I really screwed up not jumping on that $300 11.5" barrel. If anyone has a 10.5" or 11.5" barrel, I would like one ASAP
View Quote
Where was this $300 11.5" barrel? EE? I have been wanting an 11.5" for around that price.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 2:14:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By tranzformer:

Where was this $300 11.5" barrel? EE? I have been wanting an 11.5" for around that price.
View Quote
Yeah... it was in the EE yesterday or the day before. I hesitated for some stupid reason and bam, it sold
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 2:44:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Yeah... it was in the EE yesterday or the day before. I hesitated for some stupid reason and bam, it sold
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tranzformer:

I'll post a picture of it for you guys when the upper arrives.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 2:48:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By StevieJ309:

View Quote
I'll start the bidding at $350 for the 11.5" barrel
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 3:19:18 PM EDT
[#46]
View All Quotes

Throw in a pack of Big League Chew and I'll really have to think about it.  

I was lucky this one popped up when it did. I was in the middle of another 11.5" build, but I've always wanted an MRP so I ditched it for this.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 3:39:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GreasyEasy] [#47]
I've been waiting to hear LMT say this, or acknowledge this fact for a decade.  This is from their Instagram account.  They said it some time ago (Sept 18), but only saw it last night.

"lmtdefense:  in the past, we didn’t give as much attention to the commercial market as we should have. Though our focus is still producing some of the worlds best duty weapons, grass roots customers have our attention."

Also somebody recently asked me about the discount code, and said it wasn't working....however, I tried it last night and it was GTG.

Debating buying the LMT ambi CH  vs.  Geissele ACH.    I know the ACH is sexier, and sleeker...but I wonder if the LMT is stronger.

Next major decision is if I'm gonna get the super cool sandcutter carrier for $250 or the technically superior enhanced carrier from LMT for $170.  Really is a no brainer, but I want one of those sand cutters so bad.  Sometimes rational loses out to emotion.

Lastly, I'm trying to figure out if I want to use a gen3 scalerworks T-1 mount, or the KAC T-1 mount.  That scalerworks mount seems awesome.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 3:47:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StevieJ309] [#48]
I'd personally skip the sandcutter. Wait til Brownells does another 10% coupon and get an LMT E-BCG for like $10 more.

Scalarworks is coming out with a 1.93" mount in a few days. That's what I'll be using on mine.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 4:32:15 PM EDT
[#49]
I think there were a few of us looking at that 11.5" barrel

I recently got a Scalarworks gen 2 MRO mount and I really like it so far.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 4:51:31 PM EDT
[#50]
I'd personally skip the sandcutter. Wait til Brownells does another 10% coupon and get an LMT E-BCG for like $10 more.

Scalarworks is coming out with a 1.93" mount in a few days. That's what I'll be using on mine.
View Quote
Are you talking about the enhanced BC with enhanced bolt or the milspec BC with enhanced bolt? I read somewhere the enhanced bolt carrier isn't recommended except for certain setups. The enhanced bolt in a regular milspec carrier is what I would want.

I think there were a few of us looking at that 11.5" barrel

I recently got a Scalarworks gen 2 MRO mount and I really like it so far.
View Quote
How do you like that mount? It looks nice. I have a MI MRO mount and I'm not sure that I really need to change.
Page / 143
Tacked MRP Badness, chapter 3 (Page 71 of 143)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top