Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
FightLite / ARES SCR Pics (Page 9 of 45)
Page / 45
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:44:46 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By coldblue:

WOW! Way cool and very original.
View Quote

Agreed! I like it a lot.

Seriously, Ares should start marketing a model like this to Bass Pro & Cabela's. Maybe offer one in walnut and one in Mossy Oak/RealTree, in a package with a mount & scope (Nikon P-300?). Then swim around in their newfound wealth like Scrooge McDuck.

Link Posted: 10/24/2015 9:17:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Nicely done!
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 6:49:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Tagging here in case AD posts any updates/news.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 10:30:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By rttlsnkndaddy:

Agreed! I like it a lot.

Seriously, Ares should start marketing a model like this to Bass Pro & Cabela's. Maybe offer one in walnut and one in Mossy Oak/RealTree, in a package with a mount & scope (Nikon P-300?). Then swim around in their newfound wealth like Scrooge McDuck.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Agreed! I like it a lot.

Seek and ye shall find...

We introduced this walnut model at NASGW in New Orleans last week.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 10:48:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Ares_Defense:

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/t31.0-8/s2048x2048/12189467_948878358518509_6140470233564449889_o.jpg
View All Quotes

Agreed! I like it a lot.

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/t31.0-8/s2048x2048/12189467_948878358518509_6140470233564449889_o.jpg

OK. I like that rifle
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 10:51:58 AM EDT
[#6]

View All Quotes

Agreed! I like it a lot.

Now do the same thing with dissipator style handguards
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 8:26:16 PM EDT
[#7]
That is a nice looking rifle.   Might have to find one around here to handle.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 9:15:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Two "issues":

First, if you own a SCR, and any "full featured" AR15 upper, wouldn't you be violating the possession of parts to make an AW language in the POS, Blumberg authored-Democrat/RINO enacted AWB?

Second, I have heard a number of reports that the trigger pull sucks!

Glad to read they are planning a .22 conversion, as well as pistol caliber conversions.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 9:31:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WrenchGuy] [#9]
Originally Posted By RDTCU:

View All Quotes

Agreed! I like it a lot.

Yes, absolutely...we need matching mid and rifle length handguards to go with that stock!!!

Something to free float the barrel (with matching walnut finish) would be the supreme treatment.
Link Posted: 11/4/2015 10:47:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By msg1956:
Two "issues":

First, if you own a SCR, and any "full featured" AR15 upper, wouldn't you be violating the possession of parts to make an AW language in the POS, Blumberg authored-Democrat/RINO enacted AWB?

Glad to read they are planning a .22 conversion, as well as pistol caliber conversions.
View Quote

I don't see the possession statutes that way. I legally have AR's and lots of parts. That doesn't mean any of them would ever be fitted to an SCR.  It would be the same as saying you have one legal SBR and standard  non NFA rifle. Who gives a crap. Don't configure them illegally and go about your business.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 12:48:34 AM EDT
[#11]

View All Quotes

Agreed! I like it a lot.

...and in my home state, too!

I agree that a dissipator setup with rifle length handguards would look awesome in walnut.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 1:01:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Capt_Destro] [#12]
Could these work for rail mounted sights?

CZ Scorpion Sights

Link Posted: 11/5/2015 1:59:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Capt_Destro:

CZ Scorpion Sights
https://shop.cz-usa.com/images/items/Large/18002.png
View Quote

yes
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 11:38:33 AM EDT
[#14]

CZ Scorpion Sights
View Quote

But I would use the newer version that comes on US guns with the smaller front post and 4 orifice sizes.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 4:57:42 PM EDT
[#15]
What do I have to do to get a bolt catch?
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 5:39:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By 15ladder:
View Quote

Not buy the gun/lower and expect it to come with it, because for some shady reason, it doesn't.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 7:09:57 PM EDT
[#17]

Originally Posted By 15ladder:

View Quote
If you are on Long Island Camp-Site Sports in Huntington Station has them.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 8:18:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Nah, Erie County.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 8:59:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MatthewVanitas] [#19]
View Quote

As discussed extensively in this (and other) threads: the earliest runs had a heavy/gritty trigger, but around late-2014 or so Ares changed the trigger setup to something generally approved, and offered modification to any earlier buyers who wanted the new trigger in their early gun.

That said, I am genuinely curious to see how long the "SCR... isn't that the thing with the crappy trigger?" sticks around for years after Ares addressed the issue. Maybe a good lesson to a lot of companies as to how initial impressions can stick around long after a problem is fixed. Not trying to gang up on Ares but that does seem to have soured the initial rep of what overall is a cool product.

If the Ares rep is still here, any statement on why Ares keeps offering these with carbine-length gas/HGs instead of mid-length? I thought that overall carbine gas has been passe for 16" or longer barrels, so it seems kinda 1990s-esque to keep making them with short gas. Not that it matters to me personally since I'd put the upper of my choice on one, but just slightly curious why the decision was made to make Carbine the defaul vice Midlength.

Here's the 20" barrel version with laminate furniture off Ares' FB page:

Still, cool product overall and I'm glad to see it doing well!
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 7:37:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Also off Ares' FB, this is now my favorite SCR pic I've seen:

Something like this is pretty much what I want to build when I move back to the US. This one is apparently SBR, but in my case I'll do a 14.5" barrel with a welded linear comp, and with a side-charger vice traditional CH.

I do like too that in this photo (unlike, baffllingly, so many others) the red dot is actually mounted as low as possible. No idea why other photos have the optics up so dang high.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 9:04:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By MatthewVanitas:
Also off Ares' FB, this is now my favorite SCR pic I've seen:

http://i67.tinypic.com/258a5c8.jpg

Something like this is pretty much what I want to build when I move back to the US. This one is apparently SBR, but in my case I'll do a 14.5" barrel with a welded linear comp, and with a side-charger vice traditional CH.

I do like too that in this photo (unlike, baffllingly, so many others) the red dot is actually mounted as low as possible. No idea why other photos have the optics up so dang high.
View Quote

Here's a version of exactly what you mentioned building.

14.5" barrel with p/w surefire fh, and 12" centurion Cmr handguard, on a side charging upper.

I also have a picture with a red dot on it.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 3:27:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Way cool! It looks so handy, like it'd hardly be bulkier than a Ruger 10/22. I know it's probably not literally that handy, but does it feel light a pretty compact package in the hands?
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 4:56:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Its definitely got more weight than a 10/22, but its very balanced and I love the way it handles. It feels much better in my hands than my standard AR's do, but then I've always preferred the ergonomics of a traditional stock over a pistol grip.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 7:31:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jw00j] [#24]
gadgetguy1288, does this side charger move with the bolt or independently? ie can I bump it as a foreward assist if needed?
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 11:07:55 PM EDT
[#25]
It does not move with the bcg, it is basically a collar that rides in a notch on the front of the bcg.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 9:08:18 AM EDT
[#26]
[We introduced this walnut model at NASGW in New Orleans last week.
View Quote

So, that's clearly the Boyds AR-15/M16 Carbine Hand Guard Set, but under the custom options, they do not offer it in walnut.  Was that something that they did special for you guys?

Link Posted: 11/12/2015 12:01:42 PM EDT
[#27]

As discussed extensively in this (and other) threads: the earliest runs had a heavy/gritty trigger, but around late-2014 or so Ares changed the trigger setup to something generally approved, and offered modification to any earlier buyers who wanted the new trigger in their early gun.

That said, I am genuinely curious to see how long the "SCR... isn't that the thing with the crappy trigger?" sticks around for years after Ares addressed the issue. Maybe a good lesson to a lot of companies as to how initial impressions can stick around long after a problem is fixed. Not trying to gang up on Ares but that does seem to have soured the initial rep of what overall is a cool product.

If the Ares rep is still here, any statement on why Ares keeps offering these with carbine-length gas/HGs instead of mid-length? I thought that overall carbine gas has been passe for 16" or longer barrels, so it seems kinda 1990s-esque to keep making them with short gas. Not that it matters to me personally since I'd put the upper of my choice on one, but just slightly curious why the decision was made to make Carbine the defaul vice Midlength.

http://i66.tinypic.com/1264f8j.jpg

View All Quotes

http://i66.tinypic.com/1264f8j.jpg

Honestly the trigger reviews have been the only thing keeping me from one as there aren't any aftermarket options yet ( cough..... geissele.....cough) . Does anyone have a trigger scale with the 'new" trigger they can test and report back with. When searching the only thing I can find is that the early ones "sucked bad" and its now "fixed" without any real numbers or explanation on what the issues were and what exactly they changed.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 2:06:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By bjohnson425:
Honestly the trigger reviews have been the only thing keeping me from one as there aren't any aftermarket options yet ( cough..... geissele.....cough) . Does anyone have a trigger scale with the 'new" trigger they can test and report back with. When searching the only thing I can find is that the early ones "sucked bad" and its now "fixed" without any real numbers or explanation on what the issues were and what exactly they changed.
View Quote

I believe that early reviewers measured around 10 lbs on the original.  The current one is listed at 5-6 lbs.  So, basically, it went from terrible to mil-spec-esque.  Not a precision/target trigger, but a basic combat trigger.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 3:45:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By bjohnson425:
View Quote

I went around to all the major trigger makers when I bought mine, and all of them told me they have no intentions of considering the SCR unless/until it gets much more popular.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 4:46:04 PM EDT
[#30]
still waiting for a 308
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 5:19:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 9:23:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CarpNY] [#32]
Originally Posted By Stickman:
Not exactly the ARES SCR, but it is the ARES MCR....

https://40.media.tumblr.com/7aa9e352ceec99fb8aa267dbfec4da53/tumblr_nxsrvgt9MF1rrcg2fo1_1280.jpg
View Quote

So, in a thread about a system used in large part by people living in stateswhere they can't even has a normal AR or standard ("high capacity") magazines, you post a pick of a belt-fed AR with all the evil features (that's even a FA lower, isn't it?)  @#$%#

(j/k Stickman, your pics are too nice to stay mad at you.)
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 4:15:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 9:15:24 AM EDT
[#34]

I've only got a MCR, not a SCR, you should feel bad for me!  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CarpNY:
Not exactly the ARES SCR, but it is the ARES MCR....

https://40.media.tumblr.com/7aa9e352ceec99fb8aa267dbfec4da53/tumblr_nxsrvgt9MF1rrcg2fo1_1280.jpg

So, in a thread about a system used in large part by people living in stateswhere they can't even has a normal AR or standard ("high capacity") magazines, you post a pick of a belt-fed AR with all the evil features (that's even a FA lower, isn't it?)  @#$%#

(j/k Stickman, your pics are too nice to stay mad at you.)

I've only got a MCR, not a SCR, you should feel bad for me!  

I feel bad for you because people keep stealing your shit.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 12:14:03 AM EDT
[#35]
So, since the piston system is nowhere to be found, I got a thought.

on the pic, on the left is the bolt carrier from PWS upper.
on the right is the Ares SCR bolt carrier.

Can I unscrew the long piston from the PWS bolt carrier and attach it to the SCR bolt carrier???

Link Posted: 11/18/2015 6:51:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: glenn_r] [#36]
Originally Posted By Castillo:

yes
View All Quotes

yes

I ordered and installed these.  Haven't fired the rifle yet, but I'm happy with them for hunting purposes.  The front sight is a bit large, but this is going on a .458 SOCOM so it will be a closer-range rifle anyway, and the white dot is quick and easy to pick up.  Great for use on attacking grizzlies.  
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 8:55:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RDTCU] [#37]
Originally Posted By glenn_r:

I ordered and installed these.  Haven't fired the rifle yet, but I'm happy with them for hunting purposes.  The front sight is a bit large, but this is going on a .458 SOCOM so it will be a closer-range rifle anyway, and the white dot is quick and easy to pick up.  Great for use on attacking grizzlies.  
View All Quotes

yes

If you want more AR-style sights, pick up a set of the newer Evo sights.
https://shop.cz-usa.com/productdetail/19370_sight-set-evo-and-bren
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 9:15:35 AM EDT
[#38]

https://shop.cz-usa.com/images/items/Fullsize/19370.png
View All Quotes

yes

At 3x the price
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 9:27:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RDTCU] [#39]

At 3x the price
View All Quotes

yes

At 3x the price

Well most AR sights cost more than shotgun sights, sooo
The original LPAs are basically shotgun sights, my Mossberg 930 came with the same LPA rear sight, but with a larger orifice.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 1:51:42 AM EDT
[#40]
I really want to give Ares money for some sights that will mount on a railed handguard but they have fallen silent whenever asked about them. I've asked on here, facebook and instagram with no response despite a sales rep telling me a few months ago that they would be available by summer '15.

ARES. I'd rather not buy CZ sights!
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 10:36:29 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By durask:
So, since the piston system is nowhere to be found, I got a thought.

on the pic, on the left is the bolt carrier from PWS upper.
on the right is the Ares SCR bolt carrier.

Can I unscrew the long piston from the PWS bolt carrier and attach it to the SCR bolt carrier???

http://i.imgur.com/pyIZ1tgl.jpg
View Quote

We've never tried the ARES SCR with the PWS upper and so were not sure how much gas they use for bcg mass ratio, etc. The ARES SCR does use a MIL-Spec gas key fwiw. If you're simply looking for a gas piston system for your ARES SCR though, we do offer a GXR gas piston kit in carbine length for these rifles.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 12:35:58 PM EDT
[#42]
unless you live in a AWB state there is no reason for this
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 12:54:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Spartikis:  unless you live in a AWB state there is no reason for this
View Quote

Carried one yet?  Looks to balance like a classic hunting rifle - and significantly lowers sight height over bore, as well.  Might not be advantages to you, but clearly there's some interest in the free states for it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 1:50:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Spartikis:
View Quote

The only "reason" needed is is whatever the owner wants it to be. I'm in a "free state" and I have one and I love it. I use/shoot my scr more than any of my AR's.

Take your negativity elsewhere
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:55:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CarpNY] [#45]
Anyone Cerakoted their SCR?  I know that Ares has a Nickel Boron set:

and I've seen this paint job:

but nothing Cerakoted yet.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:59:02 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Spartikis:
View Quote

I like guns.

There's my "reason"
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 2:49:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DH2] [#47]
Does anyone happen to have a picture of their SCR with EVO sights installed?

Or happen to know what the height over bore is for the ARES sights?
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 3:45:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NickOTime] [#48]
Have the short sporter stock lower receiver and a Vltor VIS monolithic rifle length upper receiver  inbound.  Already have a spare Colt 16" SOCOM that I'm thinking about sending off to ADCO to get chopped and pinned.  Other than that I think I have a good idea of what I want to do.  (Make legal length "short" style SCR)
I really wanted to do a side charger but I've also always wanted to use a VIS upper on a build and got a decent enough price on the VIS.
Now I just need to decide if I will ever use irons or just save the money and put it towards a nice 1-4 optic.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 5:25:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By NickOTime:
Have the short sporter stock lower receiver and a Vltor VIS monolithic rifle length upper receiver  inbound.  Already have a spare Colt 16" SOCOM that I'm thinking about sending off to ADCO to get chopped and pinned.  Other than that I think I have a good idea of what I want to do.  (Make legal length "short" style SCR)
I really wanted to do a side charger but I've also always wanted to use a VIS upper on a build and got a decent enough price on the VIS.
Now I just need to decide if I will ever use irons or just save the money and put it towards a nice 1-4 optic.
View Quote

Sounds like my kind of build.  Looking forward to seeing pics.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 9:38:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 45
FightLite / ARES SCR Pics (Page 9 of 45)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top