Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
FightLite / ARES SCR Pics (Page 8 of 45)
Page / 45
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 1:41:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I would like to see them team with Magpul to build a stock similar to the SGA that could be used on the Ares. Would gain adjustable comb and LOP on a proven stock design.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MatthewVanitas:
Any word yet on availability of wooden, or other, aftermarket stocks? Any rumbling yet of an aftermarket developing now that the rifle has been out for a year and appears to be selling well? Though given, most aftermarket AR stuff applies without modification, so I suppose it's mostly trigger options, stocks, and a few other small bits that call for a specifically-designed part.

That reminds me, does the SCR use an AR-standard trigger guard? Will aftermarket ones like Magpul just drop right in?
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:41:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Does anyone know if there is plans for a 7.62x51 version
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:41:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 1:44:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Anyone have the weight of an ares scr lower or upper by themselves?
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 7:22:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Ares, any word on when the rail mounted front sights will come out? You said a month or two after the gas block sight and it's been a few without an update.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 12:14:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gadgetguy1288] [#6]
Well, I'll get some updated pictures tomorrow, but I FINALLY GOT HER WORKING RIGHT! I'm soo stoked to finally have this gun functioning after planning and working on it for so long.

Specs are:
Ares SCR MC lower
ASA side charging upper(required the BCG to be sent to ASA to be "modified" with a slot machined into the carrier for the side charger)
Norgon Ambi-catch, and BAD EMR and EPS(I also installed a Seekins upgraded paddle in the bolt catch, but it was not compatible with the ASA upper so I removed it)
ARPerformance 14.5" 6.8 SPC upper
Surefire Socom 68 FH, pinned/welded
Centurion Gasblock, also pinned on
Centurion CMR 12"
Arisaka Defense, offset light mount w/ surefire G2
IWC flushmount QD socket in left side of stock w/ a Vtac padded sling.

I first put everything together a few weeks ago, and for some reason it was shortstroking so severely with the current configuration that it would only fire one round, and the BCG would cycle far enough to eject the spent round, ,but not far enough to pick up the next round, so I had an expensive, fancy single shot essentially. got home and took everything apart and really did a detailed clean(and stripped out a screw on the CMR and had to order new ones and have the stripped one drilled out by a buddy) I examined everything and the only thing I could find is that the gas block is ever so slightly canted to the right, but I figured it shouldn't  be enough to be causing the issue. Got everything put back together after that and finally got the chance to do a second function test this afternoon and it ran just fine! I put about 100 rds thorugh it, tested all of my 6.8 mags with the bolt catch, and all of them work, and feed just fine now, so it beats me what the issue was, but as long as its fixed I don't even care!

I have a PA aimpoint clone, and a 1-4x that both have mounts that work on the SCR, but haven't decided which one to use yet. The 1-4x is an older version, and I had to slightly modify it to get it to work, the power ring had to be sanded down slightly to clear the upper, I could've gone for slightly taller rings I suppose, but the rings are Larue rings that I had left over from a bolt action build, and the height of the scope is perfect for me, if I replaced the rings i would have to get a stock pack or something to raise my cheek weld.

I am also planning on either painting the stock OD to match the upper accessories, or might just camo the whole thing, I haven't decided yet.

So far I love the feel of this thing, and it is every bit as awesome as I expected it to be while I was planning it!
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 8:55:04 PM EDT
[#7]
After feeling it with both optics I think I'm going to stay with the 1-4x. It just feels right, lol.

Pic Thread:

Link Posted: 7/12/2015 7:15:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 8:21:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Awesome looking gun.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:13:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 3:35:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Does anyone make a really low mount for an Aim point PRO?  As stated here, most mounts these days are for Ar-type sight lines. I want the PRO on my SCR. Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 3:44:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: minion42] [#12]
Originally Posted By 15ladder:
Does anyone make a really low mount for an Aim point PRO?  As stated here, most mounts these days are for Ar-type sight lines. I want the PRO on my SCR. Thanks.
View Quote

If you take the spacer out of the Aimpoint QRP mount it sits pretty low.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:02:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the tip,minion. But with the  spacer out, the screws were too long. I put the PRO on the mount, minus the screws, and it was still to high, had to "chin weld". I rebuilt the mount, put it on the rail, stuck a Teva sandal between my cheek and the comb- perfect fit!  So I think my next move is to pick up an adjustable cheek piece, ITC has a nice wet suit model. Thanks for your help and Fuck Andrew Cuomo.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:30:49 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

Any 30mm low ring should work.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:16:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By JoshAston:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

This^

I have a PA aimpoint clone and in the PA low mount that came with it, it works just fine. Great cheek weld.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:18:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By gadgetguy1288:
After feeling it with both optics I think I'm going to stay with the 1-4x. It just feels right, lol.

Pic Thread:

<a href="http://s166.photobucket.com/user/gadgetguy1288/media/Gun%20Stuff/DSCF2860_zpszrqnbfns.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u110/gadgetguy1288/Gun%20Stuff/DSCF2860_zpszrqnbfns.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s166.photobucket.com/user/gadgetguy1288/media/Gun%20Stuff/DSCF2876_zpsgdxd1ede.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u110/gadgetguy1288/Gun%20Stuff/DSCF2876_zpsgdxd1ede.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s166.photobucket.com/user/gadgetguy1288/media/Gun%20Stuff/DSCF2881_zpsolhefdrg.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u110/gadgetguy1288/Gun%20Stuff/DSCF2881_zpsolhefdrg.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s166.photobucket.com/user/gadgetguy1288/media/Gun%20Stuff/DSCF2897_zpsui2d7far.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u110/gadgetguy1288/Gun%20Stuff/DSCF2897_zpsui2d7far.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s166.photobucket.com/user/gadgetguy1288/media/Gun%20Stuff/DSCF2877_zpsetbg8llp.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u110/gadgetguy1288/Gun%20Stuff/DSCF2877_zpsetbg8llp.jpg</a>
View Quote

Nice build.  The side charging upper looks great on it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 2:06:55 PM EDT
[#17]

This^

I have a PA aimpoint clone and in the PA low mount that came with it, it works just fine. Great cheek weld.
View All Quotes

This^

Thanks guys, I'll hit Cabela's after work tomorrow.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:30:57 PM EDT
[#18]
josh and gadgetguy, thanks for the tip. I grabbed a set of Warne 30mm rings from Cabelas tonight. Put the empty ring on the rail- ok, so far so good. I took the mount off the PRO, tried to get both rings on the PRO, but they were a nrch too wide, so only one would fit. It's got 2 screws top and bottom it's pretty solid, so I think I'm ok. Finally got the PRO mounted, I bring it up to my shoulder,--PERFECT FIT!  My eye was dead center of the optic. Thanks again for the tip, I will pop a 10 rd Pmag in your honor!
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:53:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By E-Mag:
Does anyone know if there is plans for a 7.62x51 version
View Quote

bump...

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 7:23:13 AM EDT
[#20]
josh and gadgetguy, thanks for the tip. I grabbed a set of Warne 30mm rings from Cabelas tonight. Put the empty ring on the rail- ok, so far so good. I took the mount off the PRO, tried to get both rings on the PRO, but they were a nrch too wide, so only one would fit. It's got 2 screws top and bottom it's pretty solid, so I think I'm ok. Finally got the PRO mounted, I bring it up to my shoulder,--PERFECT FIT!  My eye was dead center of the optic. Thanks again for the tip, I will pop a 10 rd Pmag in your honor!
View Quote

Cheers! Glad it worked out for you!
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 3:40:42 PM EDT
[#21]

#1, Riser: I found a bolt-on riser that gets the cheek weld where it needs to be with standard AR-15 height scope mounts.  (this is important because I like to switch uppers between AR-15 lowers and the SCR...)  It is not the perfect contour but is sturdy when mounted correctly.  Comes with the mounting screws and directions that consist of "use a 7/64 drill bit".  I have to say the instructions are spot on.  I do suggest first using center punch to 'start' the hole as well as a 1/16 drill bit to drill the first hole.  I found this part on another forum and have since put it on 3 other rifles as well.  (a couple of bolt actions as well as a scoped marlin 795).   Note that I move the scope backwards 3 picatinny slots to get it to the correct eye relief.

http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Technology-UCR1900-Universal-Cheekrest/dp/B002ZIVHMK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439492417&sr=8-1&keywords=fn+fal+cheek

I had considered getting a 'matthews sleek rest' or similar, but didn't want bolts hanging out on the side and figured if this did not work, I could still buy the sleek rest and once mounted it would cover up the holes I drilled.

Pictures below

http://imgur.com/a/bRhvh#iVMhyOf

Link Posted: 8/13/2015 3:41:26 PM EDT
[#22]

#2, recoil pad: the limbsaver #10544 grind to fit recoil pad. It was some work to get it installed but well worth it.

Here are some images of both. Note that I have the 'monte carlo' stock. If I had the "sporter short" stock, I would not need to move my scope back; I could leave it in the same place I have it on the AR-15. However, I'm not sure how the rise would be affected.

Pictures below

http://imgur.com/a/bRhvh#iVMhyOf

Link Posted: 8/13/2015 4:31:39 PM EDT
[#23]
I want a lower around $375.... @$500 not so much
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 1:10:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Hello,

Been reading alot.....I have a question for someone that has the SCR with the monte carlo stock....and a tap measure...haha

I am trying to decide about purchasing one of the lowers and building a scoped upper, and want to figure out if it is going to work out without adding yet another cheek riser on top of the monte carlo stock.

I would love a measurement from the top of the upper receiver to the top of the built in cheek piece of the monte carlo stock...about midway front to back. See picture. Also...if this is anyone's photo, I apologize in advance for using it without permission.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 8/18/2015 2:17:27 PM EDT
[#25]

Originally Posted By HK_DUDE:

Hello,

Been reading alot.....I have a question for someone that has the SCR with the monte carlo stock....and a tap measure...haha

I am trying to decide about purchasing one of the lowers and building a scoped upper, and want to figure out if it is going to work out without adding yet another cheek riser on top of the monte carlo stock.

I would love a measurement from the top of the upper receiver to the top of the built in cheek piece of the monte carlo stock...about midway front to back. See picture. Also...if this is anyone's photo, I apologize in advance for using it without permission.

Thanks!

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/SCR.jpg

View Quote

It is approx 5/8 to 3/4 lower than standard AR-15 rail.  See my post from a couple days ago stating that I found a cheek riser that works great with standard height AR-15 scope mounts (such as nikon M-223).

Also, you will want to move your scope about 1.5 inches rearward for proper eye relief.

Link Posted: 8/19/2015 12:25:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Thanks for the info.

If anyone can still get me that measurement, it will help.

Nice looking rifle!
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 1:14:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Would buy a 16" in 308 yesterday if they were a thing. I know Im not alone in that either...
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 1:49:59 AM EDT
[#28]

Originally Posted By sefus:

Would buy a 16" in 308 yesterday if they were a thing. I know Im not alone in that either...
View Quote
Yep I mentioned it a page or two ago

Link Posted: 8/20/2015 4:17:52 PM EDT
[#29]

Originally Posted By HK_DUDE:

Hello,

Thanks!

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/SCR.jpg

View Quote
1 5/8" Drop at the center.  It starts at 1 3/8 and slopes to 1 3/4" at the back.

Link Posted: 8/20/2015 4:25:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Thank you very much!
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 12:49:59 AM EDT
[#31]
So does the Magpul SGA work on this?
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 7:14:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By thegeneric:
So does the Magpul SGA work on this?
View Quote

Not a direct fit, would require pretty extensive modification to the buffer tube because the grip on the sga is at more of a downward angle.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 8:27:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CarpNY] [#33]
The SGA is compatible with the Remington 870, but not the 1100.  The SCR basically uses an 1100 (12 ga, in particular) stock with a similar recoil system.  ARES has said that they can't guarantee any 1100 stock will fit, but were eager to see customers try (or something like that.)  This thread talks a little about the Magpul SGA (870) stock and why it won't fit the 1100 and, likewise, the SCR.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 11:54:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Thanks for the info. Does anyone have the weight specs for the lower with bolt? (spotter stock) trying to see if this is a good candidate for a lightweight build.

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 12:15:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By thegeneric:
Thanks for the info. Does anyone have the weight specs for the lower with bolt? (spotter stock) trying to see if this is a good candidate for a lightweight build.

View Quote

It won't be the lightest but it'll be lighter than most I believe. I don't have the weight for just the stock and carrier, but my build with a BCM KMR 14.5" upper was sitting well below 6lbs.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:27:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:46:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By coldblue:
Way back when, I'd jog in the Virginia woods with my Glock 19, but I had it loaded with just three rounds to keep the weight down.
View Quote

Sounds like an airweight smith would have suited you better...
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 7:40:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:18:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RDTCU] [#39]
Never trained enough with small revolvers to develop the necessary muscle memory I had achieved with my Glock(s).
Once I attended the state of Virginia semi-auto pistol transition course with my 19, all my other handguns were pushed to the back of the safe. Making several thousand 'presentations' and shooting during this course was an epiphany of sorts for me. Note this was 1990 and after 20+ years in the Marines and their 'all ready on the left...with a magazine and 5-rounds BS.'
Having said that, that is the biggest 'safety' issue with a Glock if you then frequently 'butterfly around' with other handguns, especially auto's with thumb safety's hammer drops, etc., I believe you cloud your muscle memory by using handguns with different controls, or in Glock's case, a lack there of.  So for me, Glock is a one man gun.  And now that they have a host of models and calibers, I see no need to have different makes just because you want a .40 or a .45ACP, a longer slide target gun, etc.
View Quote

So variety is not the spice of life for you then?
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:22:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Is there any way of fitting a 9mm upper to this? Can the "buffer" in the stock be exchanged for something heavier so that straight blowback would work?
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:54:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By RDTCU:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RDTCU:
Way back when, I'd jog in the Virginia woods with my Glock 19, but I had it loaded with just three rounds to keep the weight down.

Or a G26 or G43
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:58:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Am I in the handgun forums?
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 12:59:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bjohnson425] [#43]
Anyone happen to have a retro SP1 type upper (20'' skinny barrel, Triangle hand guards etc.etc) they can throw on and snap a pic? I don't know why but have been thinking about a lightweight build using that upper on this lower.

I know its pretty specific. I tried to do a mock up in photoshop but it was hard getting the "scale" right. it just didn't look correct. Anyone good at photoshop that can try it out?
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 6:11:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: omnibeard] [#44]
SCR Jungle Carbine

So, I decided I wanted a side-charging SCR in 300BLK and wood furniture. I think it turned out rather nicely. I took it out this weekend, sighted in the Bushnell TRS-25, and put a box down range. The grouping was nice and everything felt right.
A word of advice, I bought the 870 stock when I should have bought the 1100 stock. Don't make that mistake. The 870 stock has a much deeper large diameter hole. I had to make a ~3" shim so the bolt cap would not only hold the piston and spring in place, but also hold the stock firmly in place. Getting the shim the right length took some time measuring things with a digital caliper. Ugh. Plus, the 1100 stock comes in American Plainsman style without customizing, so you get the cheek comb.
Also, I'm going to check with New Frontiers to see if I can cut about 0.75" off of the charging slide. It will bite you rather harshly if you're holding the butt stock properly when you rack it. If not, I plan to bevel and deburr the sharp end of it.

See next post for photos.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 6:13:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: omnibeard] [#45]
SCR Jungle Carbine

Gallery:
http://imgur.com/gallery/B2l7h

Here's the bolt cap for the piston/spring tube when you pull the butt pad off.

Here's the tube, piston, spring, and cap disassembled.

Here's the tube at the receiver end with the stock pulled back a little.

And here's my completed rifle.

Here's a closer look at the side-charging handle pulled to the rear.

The New Frontier upper has a spring-loaded dust cover that protects the BCG gas tube slot when the upper and lower are mated.

This is a bad shot down the breach. You can't see it, but the barrel and upper have properly matching M4 feed ramps.

I used the gas block/tube, round handguard cap, and delta ring from my original SCR upper assembly.

I may add a brake/compensator/suppressor later; but, for now, I have a simple thread protector screwed on. I like how it looks with the rest of the gun.

The fit is pretty good. I did have to cut away just a little wood at the back of the trigger guard.

Here's the busy side again for a closer look.

And here's the rifle split and secured in a nice case one of my friends gave me.

Link Posted: 10/5/2015 6:14:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: omnibeard] [#46]
SCR Jungle Carbine

Parts breakdown(minus original SCR pieces):

Side Charging AR-15 Stripped Billet Upper Receiver
$225 https://newfrontierarmory.com/shop/side-charging-ar-15-stripped-billet-upper-receiver/

16" AR-15 300 AAC Blackout Heavy Carbine Barrel
$100 https://www.classicfirearms.com/arbarrel16parkerizedheavybarrel300blk1in8twist

EGW - AR-15/M16 Thread Protector
$16 http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/muzzle-devices/thread-protectors/5-8-24-thread-protector-sku296000105-27073-52727.aspx

Boyd's AR-15/M16 Carbine Handguard and Remington 1100 12ga stock in 'Nutmeg Laminate'.
$54 https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/FindAStock?Make=5E&Model=998&Action=1D&Shape=32&Finish=1
$79 https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/FindAStock?Make=3U&Model=225&Action=2N&Shape=01&Finish=1
Don't buy the 870 stock!!! I should have purchased the 1100 American Plainsman style instead of the 870 in Boyd's Field Design.

Yukon Outfitters Ultimate Breakdown Case
$60 http://yukon-outfitters.com/products/ultimate-breakdown-case?variant=3750647553
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 8:03:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Very nice!

I have a feeling that we are going to see more and more unique SCRs as time passes.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 7:28:26 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 6:35:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Have we had anyone try a side-charging SCR and conclude that they prefer the standard AR CH, or is the trend really strongly towards side-chargers for anyone who's ever even considered a side-charger?
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 6:36:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Have we had anyone try a side-charging SCR and conclude that they prefer the standard AR CH, or is the trend really strongly towards side-chargers for anyone who's ever even considered a side-charger?
Page / 45
FightLite / ARES SCR Pics (Page 8 of 45)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top