Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2015 12:17:16 AM EDT
Gents,
Some of you may have seen my original build thread that was showing off my budget Aero Precision FDE AR15.  

Due to the sage advice of AR15.com members I made several upgrades to my rifle to include the following:
15" UTG Pro Slim Handguard
ALG Defense ACT Trigger
B.A.D. - A.S.S.
Magpul BAD Lever
Magpul FDE ACS Stock
EOTech 512
Primary Arms 3x Magnifier
Primary Arms QD Flip to side mount
Strike Industries J Comp Brake

I wanted to thank all of the members who provided constructive criticism.  I have put a couple hundred rounds through her since all the upgrades and she feels like an entirely different gun, nice crisp trigger, very precise glass, much better control by the longer handguard, dramatically improved recoil from the muzzle brake, ease of operation for a south paw with the BAD ASS and Magpul BAD lever and more comfortable cheek rest with no more annoying rattle provided by the new stock.
Thanks again!
-Curt

BEFORE

AFTER

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:28:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Awesome.  Time to cerakote optics.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 1:52:22 AM EDT
[#2]
That's a nice looking rifle. Been thinking of twisting together somethinges very similar but in grey.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 2:44:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Awesome rifle
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 2:55:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice 2nd take
Check out my Aero FDE
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:56:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Awesome.  Time to cerakote optics.  
View Quote

Haha, man theres always going to be something...how well does cerakote apply to the rubber grip on that magnifier though?
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:13:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Yay, a bad lever!!! Just what every rifle needs whoever told you to add that to the build needs to be slapped.

Otherwise, nice build both before and after.

ETA: bashing the bad lever, not you. You will find that you either don't use it, or don't like it because you keep activating it on accident. It's a waste IMO and it seems nearly every new guy/gal here puts one on their build because... TACTICOOL
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:37:45 PM EDT
[#7]
It really is a great package, my only complaint is its getting a bit heavy...
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:42:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Sexy rifle and nice pic skills!
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:48:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice rifle! and you have those super bullets to go with it. AKA M855
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 1:01:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Beautiful rifle. You did great and I can only imagine how happy you are with it! I have a very similar experience.. came in as a complete noob (still am really) and went showing off my rifle that I "thought" was the cats pajamas...

Here it was when I joined ARFCOM

And a year later...

Amazing how that happens.
Once again, great build, beautiful rifle.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 1:10:10 PM EDT
[#11]

Very nice!  Time for some optics!
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 1:39:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
And a year later...
[url=http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/673/CQtQeM.jpg][img

View Quote

How's that light holding up to the abuse from the muzzle blast?
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 1:45:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yay, a bad lever!!! Just what every rifle needs whoever told you to add that to the build needs to be slapped.

ETA: bashing the bad lever, not you. You will find that you either don't use it, or don't like it because you keep activating it on accident. It's a waste IMO and it seems nearly every new guy/gal here puts one on their build because... TACTICOOL
View Quote

I don't get this logic. People use them. And they like them me included. I've never ran into problems in two and a half years using them. I'm just a 14er but I feel this kind of comment makes us all look like porchdicks
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 1:56:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Utg pro super slim is a terrific product, glad to see more people using them and not wigged out by the leapers stigma.

I don't like the bads and badasses either.

How do you like the j comp? Was toying with the idea of getting one. Did very well in the comp showdown test and the price is right. I like budget builds, not all of us can afford the ultraleet, I had the opportunity to spend a little extra on my fourth and still went bang for the buck Route.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 2:11:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I don't get this logic. People use them. And they like them me included. I've never ran into problems in two and a half years using them. I'm just a 14er but I feel this kind of comment makes us all look like porchdicks
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The logic is this; 1) its a poor solution to a problem that doesn't exist, 2) they are well known to cause a bolt hold open accidentally, 3) having a second device inside the trigger guard other than the trigger that also requires attention from the booger hook is a recipe for disaster IMHporchdickO

My comment may make me look like a porchdick, but not everyone.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 2:19:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The logic is this; 1) its a poor solution to a problem that doesn't exist, 2) they are well known to cause a bolt hold open accidentally, 3) having a second device inside the trigger guard other than the trigger that also requires attention from the booger hook is a recipe for disaster IMHporchdickO

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never hit it by accident. I think it shouldnt be on every weapon or else youll get too used to it, which is bad if you pick up one without one. Its his money let him spend it. I'm just a 14'er though
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 2:19:25 PM EDT
[#17]
For sale!!!! M&p sporter , Nc star sniper scope with sniper laser and sniper flashlight with backup sniper snipers, flip sights ,anti walk pins, rail covers and more rail covers, 2 promags and bad lever with badass ambi everything only 2100$

That's why
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 2:20:53 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm just funnin though, seriously op, nice rifle.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 2:23:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
For sale!!!! M&p sporter , Nc star sniper scope with sniper laser and sniper flashlight with backup sniper snipers, flip sights ,anti walk pins, rail covers and more rail covers, 2 promags and bad lever with badass ambi everything only 2100$

That's why
View Quote

I do agree with this but the OP has a nicely built rifle. And those guys will forever be on FB with their $2000 s&w/DPMS lol
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 2:53:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Funny how every ARFCOM-modified rifle ends up looking the same with those looooonnnggg skinny handguards. Not a fan personally, but...

....it's not my rifle!!

Nice stick, OP. Glad you like it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 3:02:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I've never hit it by accident. I think it shouldnt be on every weapon or else youll get too used to it, which is bad if you pick up one without one. Its his money let him spend it. I'm just a 14'er though
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

another reason why you wouldn't want to have one in the first place.

Why would you put anything on your gun that you don't want to use too much because you know it will affect your efficiency if it's not there or breaks?!
You just helped prove my point.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 3:11:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Why would you put anything on your gun that you don't want to use too much because you know it will affect your efficiency if it's not there or breaks?!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why do you put a red dot on your rifle? They go down? Because some people like them. Why put iron sights on your gun as well? We should stick to one according to your logic there skippy. Just because somebody likes something you don't agree with don't mean you need to tell him how to set up his rifle. Again porchdick
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 3:21:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Nice rifle! I'm a big fan of FDE myself!

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 3:28:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

How's that light holding up to the abuse from the muzzle blast?
View Quote

Surprisingly well. After a few thousand rounds just a little fogginess in the glass to be wiped off occasionally. The Inforce stuff is built like a polymer tank

No hijack intended, OP
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 3:32:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Why do you put a red dot on your rifle? They go down? Because some people like them. Why put iron sights on your gun as well? We should stick to one according to your logic there skippy. Just because somebody likes something you don't agree with don't mean you need to tell him how to set up his rifle. Again porchdick
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You clearly can't comprehend logic and facts confuse you. You win, I'm a porchdick.

OP I like your rifle, shoot the shit out of it and come back with a range report.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 3:34:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
That's a nice looking rifle. Been thinking of twisting together somethinges very similar but in grey.
View Quote

Thanks! I really like the way this one came together!
Quoted:
Awesome rifle
View Quote

Thanks!
Quoted:
Sexy rifle and nice pic skills!
View Quote

Thanks! two expensive hobbies that I just took up
Quoted:
Nice rifle! and you have those super bullets to go with it. AKA M855
View Quote

Funny story, when I was breaking in the rifle I bought a box of the XM855 and some 55gr .223 and noticed how much better it shot the M855 so I went and bought a bunch of it about 2 weeks before the run on it due to the ATF...pretty sure I only paid like 30cents a round...I consider myself lucky!
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 5:48:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Beautiful rifle. You did great and I can only imagine how happy you are with it! I have a very similar experience.. came in as a complete noob (still am really) and went showing off my rifle that I "thought" was the cats pajamas...

Here it was when I joined ARFCOM
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/577/1wq7.jpg

And a year later...
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/673/CQtQeM.jpg

View Quote

Very nice, long and slim handguards seem to be the official mod of ARFCOM inspired rifles
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 5:52:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Slim is in cause it's great, I was on the fence about a 15 on a 16 barrel, bought mine for 127$ keymod version so, couldn't find the shorter one. Glad I did though.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 6:40:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Utg pro super slim is a terrific product, glad to see more people using them and not wigged out by the leapers stigma.

I don't like the bads and badasses either.

How do you like the j comp? Was toying with the idea of getting one. Did very well in the comp showdown test and the price is right. I like budget builds, not all of us can afford the ultraleet, I had the opportunity to spend a little extra on my fourth and still went bang for the buck Route.
<a href="http://s72.photobucket.com/user/doperide/media/mine/IMAG1236.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i176/doperide/mine/IMAG1236.jpg</a>
View Quote

I thought I was going to catch some flack for the UTG handguard so I was fully prepared to defend it.  The install was easy and the parts are solid...so far it has turned out to be an incredibly cost effective mod that looks great!  

I referenced the 'truthaboutguns' review of a bunch of brakes and he J Comp was the top brake/suppressor combo option.  The gun was significantly more forgiving, it was the first time I hadn't left the range rubbing my shoulder.  The lift was dramatically reduced and I was able to stay on target even when rapid firing.  The gun is much louder and my friends who were at the tables on either side of me were both laughing from getting smacked in the face by the shockwave.  When I was rapid firing the gun, I got to the end of the magazine and looked at my friends with a smile on my face and realized the rest of the range had stopped shooting and were all starring at me  For the money I think its the most cost effective brake you can buy!
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 8:59:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I do agree with this but the OP has a nicely built rifle. And those guys will forever be on FB with their $2000 s&w/DPMS lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's why

I see a lot of acronyms and MkX etc...designations floating around...what designation would my rifle be?  SOPMOD Mk16?
Quoted:
I'm just funnin though, seriously op, nice rifle.

Thanks, dont plan on ever selling it...its too asscesorizable and the used market isn't as lucrative as other hobbies.
Quoted:
Funny how every ARFCOM-modified rifle ends up looking the same with those looooonnnggg skinny handguards. Not a fan personally, but...

....it's not my rifle!!

Nice stick, OP. Glad you like it.

Thanks!  UTG makes a very affordable slim FF if you want a low cost option to try it out
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:34:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Very nice, long and slim handguards seem to be the official mod of ARFCOM inspired rifles
View Quote

I have to say, I ran thousands of rounds through my first AR that had the stock carbine handguard. It felt good to me, but I had never shot a rifle with a free float guard before. After I shot a friends rifle with a Troy alpha rail I was blown away. To me, the skinny free float handguard felt so much better. It felt lighter, more maneuverable, and allowed more grip position options that aided in various shooting positions. End of the day, a good free float is very hard to beat in my book. That being said, I love the feel of the A1 triangular handguards, the profile and length still allow various shooting positions (granted you might block your front sight picture) but the stock carbine handguards are like a short fat chick... everyone wants their woman to be in shape... free float is the way to go.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:41:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I have to say, I ran thousands of rounds through my first AR that had the stock carbine handguard. It felt good to me, but I had never shot a rifle with a free float guard before. After I shot a friends rifle with a Troy alpha rail I was blown away. To me, the skinny free float handguard felt so much better. It felt lighter, more maneuverable, and allowed more grip position options that aided in various shooting positions. End of the day, a good free float is very hard to beat in my book. That being said, I love the feel of the A1 triangular handguards, the profile and length still allow various shooting positions (granted you might block your front sight picture) but the stock carbine handguards are like a short fat chick... everyone wants their woman to be in shape... free float is the way to go.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think it's the free float aspect of the rails we're talking about here. It's the long, skinny ones like keymod and others, i.e. rail almost as long as the barrel.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:49:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I don't think it's the free float aspect of the rails we're talking about here. It's the long, skinny ones like keymod and others, i.e. rail almost as long as the barrel.
View Quote

Yeah, I didn't really address that very well. I'm guilty, I've got a 15" handguard on my 16" carbine. I guess I just like it. Feels good.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 3:08:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Makes for a sexy rifle thats for sure!  
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:41:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Here's the parts list since some people were interested...

Aero Precision:
FDE Upper/Lower Combo
BCG
16" Barrel
FDE Trigger Guard
Gas Tube/Block
LPK
Buffertube/spring
Charging Handle
Forward Assist

Magpul:
MOE FDE Grip
ACS FDE Stock
AFG2 Angled Foregrip FDE
Front/Rear MBUS Flip up sights
BAD Lever
FDE PMAGs x6

Other:
EOTech 512
Primary Arms 3x Magnifier
Primary Arms QD Flip to side mount
Strike Industries J Comp Brake
15" UTG Pro Slim Handguard in FDE
ALG Defense ACT Trigger
B.A.D. - A.S.S.
EBay FDE Dust cover
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:37:29 PM EDT
[#36]
I have nearly the same optics set up. The EO reticle is the best of both worlds in my opinion and the 3x mag from PA is a lot better than the price they ask. I got mine as a package with my EO. Are they still doing that?
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 5:03:46 PM EDT
[#37]
View Quote

I like how you have seperated your tactical and long range set-ups...I'll probably eventually do that instead of an all in one solution.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 7:28:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I have nearly the same optics set up. The EO reticle is the best of both worlds in my opinion and the 3x mag from PA is a lot better than the price they ask. I got mine as a package with my EO. Are they still doing that?
View Quote

Yes it was one hell of a deal, free 3x magnifier and mount for the same price as other stores are selling just the 512!
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:43:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Even Awesomer!
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 11:17:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Even Awesomer!
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 8:39:56 AM EDT
[#41]
looks way better than before is all I got to say
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 8:44:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
looks way better than before is all I got to say
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:26:27 PM EDT
[#43]
I don't like how your magnifier flips to the left, unless your are shooting it lefty.

An EOTech is best with both eyes open, flipping to the left blocks your left eye.

Can you reverse it so it flips to the right?
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:54:16 PM EDT
[#44]
She's a Beaut Clark!
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:24:39 PM EDT
[#45]
I am a lefty I like that its out of the way of the ejection port as well.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:47:54 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View Quote

That's fine for a lefty.

Flipped to the right it doesn't get hit with brass.

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 7:21:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
She's a Beaut Clark!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
She's a Beaut Clark!

Thanks!

Quoted:
Quoted:

That's fine for a lefty.

Flipped to the right it doesn't get hit with brass.

Thanks for the advise!
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 1:20:28 AM EDT
[#48]
After a few rang trips and several hundred rounds I have yet to have a single jam or misfire!  The EOTech512 has performed flawlessly and is easily dialed-in at any range enabling very consistent groupings.  Everything works together on this gun for a smooth and comfortable shot in any position!
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:35:23 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
After a few rang trips and several hundred rounds I have yet to have a single jam or misfire!  The EOTech512 has performed flawlessly and is easily dialed-in at any range enabling very consistent groupings.  Everything works together on this gun for a smooth and comfortable shot in any position!
View Quote

Good to hear!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top