Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/4/2015 12:46:35 PM EDT
Hey guys,
Just wanted to post up my AR so that it may help others like me who are lurking on the site and looking to start their own build!  I wanted to build a full FDE AR from scratch and keep the budget below that of a Colt LE6920 which was my turn-key alternative.  

Aero Precision:
FDE Upper/Lower Combo: $205
BCG: $125
16" Barrel: $195
FDE Trigger Guard: $15
Gas Tube/Block: $45
LPK: $60
Buffertube/spring: $40
Charging Handle: $20
Forward Assist: $13

Magpul:
MOE FDE Grip: $19
MOE FDE Stock: $35
XT Textured Rail Plate x2: $20
AFG2 Angled Foregrip FDE: $30
Ladder Rail Protector FDE: $9
Front/Rear MBUS Flip up sights: $90
FDE PMAGs x6: $78

Other:
Barrel Ring/Delta Nut: $20
UTG Pro 4/15 Quad Rail: $50
Wilson Combat Flash Hider: $50
Bushnell TRS25 Red Dot: $90
EBay FDE Dust cover: $10
EBay FDE Sling: $15

All Total: $1,234 w/optics, quad rail system, 6 mags, and all FDE furnishings worth well over $200 so $1034 would be an apples to apples cost.  
FDE LE6920: ~$1100

So in the end I was able to save maybe a few bucks on the gun that was probably eaten up by shipping but the experience of building the gun myself was well worth it! Plus it looks bad ass compared to the standard Colt!

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:05:31 PM EDT
[#1]
You can't go wrong with Aero Precision. Good choice on parts and a fantastic build overall....looks amazing!!
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:29:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can't go wrong with Aero Precision. Good choice on parts and a fantastic build overall....looks amazing!!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks, I really appreciate it!  

Thanks again!  I would have put the itemized list in my into thread but there was a 2000 character limit on my account.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:32:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Its a good looking gun but I generally don't understand why people would want to build their own rifle and still use a delta ring style hand guard rather than free floating.  Same goes with the lower parts kits vs one with a better trigger.  I hope it suits you well and is everything you want it to be in the long run.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:40:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Its a good looking gun but I generally don't understand why people would want to build their own rifle and still use a delta ring style hand guard rather than free floating.  Same goes with the lower parts kits vs one with a better trigger.  I hope it suits you well and is everything you want it to be in the long run.
View Quote

To be honest I didn't fully understand the different types of hand guards and bought the one I have on there now thinking it was good enough...which it is for what I use the gun for...in hindsight I would have gone with a COP if I could do it over again.   As far as the trigger group, once again, noob mistake...Ive already rectified that with an order for an ALG ACT :)
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:44:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

To be honest I didn't fully understand the different types of hand guards and bought the one I have on there now thinking it was good enough...which it is for what I use the gun for...in hindsight I would have gone with a COP if I could do it over again.   As far as the trigger group, once again, noob mistake...Ive already rectified that with an order for an ALG ACT :)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great choice on the ALG act they are good product for the money.  I was just curious if you had reasons.  Don't want you to feel like I am busting your chops or something not knowing is a great reason to do stuff.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:54:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Great choice on the ALG act they are good product for the money.  I was just curious if you had reasons.  Don't want you to feel like I am busting your chops or something not knowing is a great reason to do stuff.
View Quote

No worries man!  hopefully this thread will be read by someone building their own AR and prevent them from making the same mistake!
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 2:06:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

No worries man!  hopefully this thread will be read by someone building their own AR and prevent them from making the same mistake!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We do our best to "Advise" on specific parts given builder criteria.

The ACT will be a very cost-worthy upgrade for your build... I have to order more myself.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 2:15:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Very good looking build there.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:20:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The ACT will be a very cost-worthy upgrade for your build... I have to order more myself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thats the mistake I made, trying to make decisions through pure research...I should have just fess'd up to being a noob and posted my goals and put my flame suit on.  

Quoted:
Very good looking build there.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 4:30:07 PM EDT
[#11]
The only thing lacking in those pictures is your camera. Looks good
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:57:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The only thing lacking in those pictures is your camera. Looks good
View Quote

And thats due to operator error!  Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 6:38:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Lots of FF tubes will use the original barrel nut so upgrading to a longer rail will be relatively easy.
Looks like your gasblock will fit under a FF rail too, so you just remove the delta ring and handguard cap.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 7:35:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Lots of FF tubes will use the original barrel nut so upgrading to a longer rail will be relatively easy.
Looks like your gasblock will fit under a FF rail too, so you just remove the delta ring and handguard cap.
View Quote

I'll definitely be looking into upgrading soon, thanks!
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 7:54:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Nice.

My one concern is the exposed gas block.  Is the barrel dimpled?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:09:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Nice.

My one concern is the exposed gas block.  Is the barrel dimpled?
View Quote

You'll have to forgive my ignorance, but I'm assuming your concern is that the gas block will rotate off the pressure hole in the barrel.  I do not believe the barrel is dimpled to prevent it from rotating, the gas block has two allen screws that torque the assembly to the barrel and a cotter pin that is securing the gas tube to the gas block.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:25:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You'll have to forgive my ignorance, but I'm assuming your concern is that the gas block will rotate off the pressure hole in the barrel.  I do not believe the barrel is dimpled to prevent it from rotating, the gas block has two allen screws that torque the assembly to the barrel and a cotter pin that is securing the gas tube to the gas block.
View Quote

Yep you nailed it.   I  would shoot the bugger and verify that it works then dimple it.  Nsz85 has a video on youtube about dimpling your own barrel.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:37:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yep you nailed it.   I  would shoot the bugger and verify that it works then dimple it.  Nsz85 has a video on youtube about dimpling your own barrel.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've put about 100 rnds through it already without issue.  Thanks for the info though, sounds like a good preventive action to take!
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:37:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Just noticed I forgot the Sling Mount: $8, Trigger pin anti-rotation kit: $20 and Quick release riser for the red dot: $25... Guess that bumps up the total cost a little but doesn't effect the apples to apples comparison.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 12:19:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I've put about 100 rnds through it already without issue.  Thanks for the info though, sounds like a good preventive action to take!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As your first AR build, & this is the discussion forum so lets "discuss" your overall impressions of your first build.

How would you rate it vs other firearms you have experienced.

What ammo are you starting with?

What are you going to try or have waiting or planning to try?

Also, make mental notes on the trigger & your hand location on the shorter guard. Decide what a longer gaurd will feel like & go from there.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 1:05:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
[
As your first AR build, & this is the discussion forum so lets "discuss" your overall impressions of your first build.

How would you rate it vs other firearms you have experienced.

What ammo are you starting with?

What are you going to try or have waiting or planning to try?

Also, make mental notes on the trigger & your hand location on the shorter guard. Decide what a longer gaurd will feel like & go from there.
View Quote

This is the first assault rifle Ive ever shot, before this I had only shot pistols, mainly my Glock 23 and 19, and semi-auto shotguns via sporting clays.  The first thing I recognized with the AR is how smooth it was, the recoil system really takes a lot of the kick out of the round and it is ridiculously accurate.  I had the battle sights boresighted by New Frontier for a 30/300 then dialed the red-dot in.  Right out of the box I was shooting 6 inch groups free standing at 30yrds, may or may not be good comparatively but for me I though it was great!

I started with Federal XM855, luckily I stocked up on it before the panic!  I haven't tried lower weight rounds yet, I figured Id get the rifle broke in and all the contacting surfaces worn down a bit before trying cheaper ammo.  

Honestly, I wanted to start with a basic rifle and learn it enough to appreciate higher end parts.  Im already wanting a nicer trigger in the ACT because the standard trigger the LPK came with is very short, almost no pull at all and gritty feeling.  Im looking forward to a more progressive/predictable pull.  Eventually I'd like to upgrade the optics to enable longer range precision shots.  I've always wanted a suppressor as well ;)

I've been looking at building an upper that can accept a different ammo like 5.45 to interchange with the 5.56 upper.  Not sure if its worth it though with surplus 5.45 quickly drying up...any suggestions/advice?
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 1:14:17 AM EDT
[#22]
nice work!
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 1:22:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
nice work!
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:53:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Looks great!
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:11:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

This is the first assault rifle Ive ever shot, before this I had only shot pistols, mainly my Glock 23 and 19, and semi-auto shotguns via sporting clays.  The first thing I recognized with the AR is how smooth it was, the recoil system really takes a lot of the kick out of the round and it is ridiculously accurate.  I had the battle sights boresighted by New Frontier for a 30/300 then dialed the red-dot in.  Right out of the box I was shooting 6 inch groups free standing at 30yrds, may or may not be good comparatively but for me I though it was great!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Good start, but you'll find that you and the rifle can do much better. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe "mil spec" standard for the AR platform is 3-4MOA.

Quoted:

Honestly, I wanted to start with a basic rifle and learn it enough to appreciate higher end parts.  Im already wanting a nicer trigger in the ACT because the standard trigger the LPK came with is very short, almost no pull at all and gritty feeling.  Im looking forward to a more progressive/predictable pull.  Eventually I'd like to upgrade the optics to enable longer range precision shots.  I've always wanted a suppressor as well ;)

I've been looking at building an upper that can accept a different ammo like 5.45 to interchange with the 5.56 upper.  Not sure if its worth it though with surplus 5.45 quickly drying up...any suggestions/advice?

The ACT is a good trigger, but I'd recommend you get some time behind the LPK trigger before upgrading. They can significantly change in the first 500 rounds; I know mine did.

As far as 5.45...given your plans above, I'd recommend getting a 7.62 upper if you want another caliber. Harder hitting at longer ranges and more readily available than 5.45.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 12:24:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Looks great!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Looks great!

Thanks!

Quoted:

Good start, but you'll find that you and the rifle can do much better. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe "mil spec" standard for the AR platform is 3-4MOA.

The ACT is a good trigger, but I'd recommend you get some time behind the LPK trigger before upgrading. They can significantly change in the first 500 rounds; I know mine did.

As far as 5.45...given your plans above, I'd recommend getting a 7.62 upper if you want another caliber. Harder hitting at longer ranges and more readily available than 5.45.

Good to know, I'll try to tighten up the grouping next trip to the range.  Its going to be hard to resist installing the ACT when it arrives .  I'm having a AK63D build for my 7.62x39.  I guess a 7.62x54 or .308 project may be in order...
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 5:50:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Would you guys suggest a whole new rifle or just an additional Upper build for the 5.45 conversion?
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 5:57:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Very nice.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 7:43:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Very nice.
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 8:34:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Would you guys suggest a whole new rifle or just an additional Upper build for the 5.45 conversion?
View Quote

Do not buy a 5.45 conversion.  There are other calibers if that is what you want to do.  Some could be the 6.5 grendel and 6.8spc.  5.45 does not have superiority over 5.56.  The thing that 5.45 used to be able to do better is stack deep on the ammo fort.  Unless you grabbed tens of thousands of rounds before the prices went up it won't be of worth.  Instead buy cheaper steel ammo and shoot it through your 5.56.  When you consider the ammo price savings of a 5.45 rifle remember the price of the actual upper when you do it and you will see it will take thousands(likely 10s of) of rounds to recoup your losses and make it a money saving round.  

If you are thinking of getting a suppressor down the road look into the armory section on the site there is a whole space for suppressors and you can learn more there.  A great round for suppressed shooting is the 300 black out to which I would say just get the upper for now and if you feel the need you can buy a second lower.  The big thing is you should be working on trying to be a better shooter not buying more gear.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 9:14:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Do not buy a 5.45 conversion.  There are other calibers if that is what you want to do.  Some could be the 6.5 grendel and 6.8spc.  5.45 does not have superiority over 5.56.  The thing that 5.45 used to be able to do better is stack deep on the ammo fort.  Unless you grabbed tens of thousands of rounds before the prices went up it won't be of worth.  Instead buy cheaper steel ammo and shoot it through your 5.56.  When you consider the ammo price savings of a 5.45 rifle remember the price of the actual upper when you do it and you will see it will take thousands(likely 10s of) of rounds to recoup your losses and make it a money saving round.  

If you are thinking of getting a suppressor down the road look into the armory section on the site there is a whole space for suppressors and you can learn more there.  A great round for suppressed shooting is the 300 black out to which I would say just get the upper for now and if you feel the need you can buy a second lower.  The big thing is you should be working on trying to be a better shooter not buying more gear.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, yeah it would have to be 4-5k rounds to make a budget 5.45 upper worth it.  I have my AK for 7.62 so I guess I should just lay off the credit card for a while!  Did a lot of research about the suppressors last night...what a pain...probably enough to deter me from getting one which is most likely the govt's goal which motivates me to do it anyway.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 11:14:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Nice looking rifle man...I'm a sucker for FDE
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 3:00:27 AM EDT
[#33]
I think you should focus your time and money into that rifle, becoming better with it and upgrading it as you do and needs arise, then try to buy all these other rifles. There is a saying here, "fear the man with one rifle, he knows how to use it" lol. Basically saying all rifles handle a little different like women and you want to get good with yours before you start with completely different other ones.

I think maybe good glass and a better rail sound like good reasonable goals you have identified. Maybe also try all kinds of different ammo to see how you like them and how the rifle does?
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 9:40:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Thanks!

Good to know, I'll try to tighten up the grouping next trip to the range.  Its going to be hard to resist installing the ACT when it arrives .  I'm having a AK63D build for my 7.62x39.  I guess a 7.62x54 or .308 project may be in order...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks great!

Thanks!

Quoted:

If you've already ordered the trigger, put it in when it arrives. I think minion was suggesting waiting before you order a new trigger.

You also mentioned the stock trigger having "almost no pull." I'm not sure what you mean, but ARs have either a single stage or two stage trigger. Most stock triggers and the ACT are single stage.  They are designed to break (release the hammer) with little or no movement after you start applying pressure. Two stage triggers move a little under light pressure then hit a wall where you must apply additional pressure before they break. If you want a two stage trigger, you should send your ACT back before you install it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 10:22:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Nice looking rifle man...I'm a sucker for FDE
View Quote

Thanks!  Me too
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 11:43:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Thanks, yeah it would have to be 4-5k rounds to make a budget 5.45 upper worth it.  I have my AK for 7.62 so I guess I should just lay off the credit card for a while!  Did a lot of research about the suppressors last night...what a pain...probably enough to deter me from getting one which is most likely the govt's goal which motivates me to do it anyway.
View Quote

I can't see that being correct.  SGAMMO has1080 rounds of 7n6 is generally around 220 or so now while bimetal .223 wolf stuff is 235.  Better to shoot .223 for 15 bucks more per thousand or about 3 cents more per round and not have to field a second type of ammo that is not balistically similar.  

It would take over 15k rounds at 3 cents a round to make a 500 dollar upper worth it.  Then you have to figure in chopping pmags or buying mags for 5.45.  This is just to break in.  In the days of 10 cent 7n6 yes 5.45 was a cool round to get into.  I have a 5.45 upper sitting in the safe and I have several cases of ammo for it so I can justify having it.

The answer is always to buy ammo for the gun you already have rather than buying another gun.  Most people on here are gun enthusiasts not shooting enthusiasts and that is not a trap you want to fall into.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 8:54:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Good point, I'll take some time to enjoy this rifle before I do any more modifications!  Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:12:14 PM EDT
[#38]
No on the 5.45.  Get a handguard that covers the gas block and take a training class.  Good job on the build.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 12:22:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
No on the 5.45.  Get a handguard that covers the gas block and take a training class.  Good job on the build.
View Quote

Thanks, yeah I've been thinking about taking front sight's course, Ill see when I can sign up!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top