Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2015 10:40:16 PM EDT
Doing some reading here while waiting for my upper to come back from the manufacturer.  Damaged bolt out of the box required them to replace the whole BCG.  Waiting sucks.

It's the Del-Ton M4 upper kit and a PSA lower.  I love it so far, and it's accurate as it can be.  But being that I'm the type of person that is always looking to improve on what I put together (my car hobby is a never-ending party and wallet-drainer), I was just thinking about ways to improve the AR in it's present form without buying parts right away.  I see a lot of talk about after market triggers, but I'm not ready to spend that kind of dough, and really don't see the need since I'm not in 3-gun or any competitions (yet!).

If I can play with the trigger and associated parts to make improvements, I'm more than game to go for it.  What does it mean to 'clean up' the trigger?  Is it squaring the surfaces, playing with the spring, etc?  Are there similar improvements to be made to the hammer\disconnector\spring\etc?

I tried doing a forum search but that's usually unsuccessful here.  Are there any videos I can watch that are better than others?

Thanks

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 10:47:56 PM EDT
[#1]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/544583_Trigger_work_.html

https://www.google.com/search?q=ar15+trigger+job&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=ar15+trigger+job&tbm=vid

http://www.sargenthome.com/15_Minute_AR_Trigger_Job.htm

TL;DR
Polish both sear engament points,, cut the back of the hammer off, tweak the hammer spring.  It may, or may not live long or work with mil-surp and com-block.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 11:02:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Toss the stock trigger in a parts box and install an ALG QMS.  That's the only way I'd consider improving a stock trigger.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 11:24:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Spend the dough on a trigger. You will like it. Try the CMC 3.5 lb. single stage. Reasonably priced and pretty darn nice. I was always a stock trigger guy, then I put one of those in one of my AR's and really like it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 11:28:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Agree on installing a CMC trigger. I was going to work on my mil-spec FCG and decided it was easier to go with the CMC and I am VERY VERY happy with the result. I got mine from Ares Armory for a good price and it dropped right in and feels incredible.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 11:38:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Just bought the flat bowed version of the 3.5lb CMC myself.  Haven't gotten to really test it out yet though.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 11:53:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks!  That first link to the thread here on Arfcom is EXACTLY what I was searching for.  Perfect....seeing as how a CMC is $150+.

I'm sure there are plenty of after market replacements that I'd love, but cruising\racing season is coming and the car is gonna demand all my fun money.  Besides, since "the scare" is destroying the ammo market, I'm trying to stock up before the bottom falls out.   :)

Maybe if the FCG mods don't impress me, I'll try a new one.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:05:29 AM EDT
[#7]
I also have a cmc 3.5lb flat blade trigger. It is awesome! Just went to the range today and was doing double tap drills. It is very quick.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 7:35:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Toss the stock trigger in a parts box and install an ALG QMS.  That's the only way I'd consider improving a stock trigger.
View Quote

toss the stock trigger in a parts bin and install the alg act with jp springs.

It's real easy to fubar a standard trigger.   there is a  fine line between polishing the engagement surfaces and removing the hardened surface.   I think that line is .03 milimeters
but i could be wrong.  i sometimes invert numbers in my memory.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 8:10:33 AM EDT
[#9]
I hear ya EBH.  I'm not going to go crazy or anything... I was basically just looking for some simple things to do to "clean up" the parts.  Off-the-shelf products always have machining marks and rough edges.  If I cut the hammer, I won't go as far as some...maybe 75% of that.  There's always room for improvements without replacing parts.  Kind of like porting an intake manifold for free instead of spending $900 on a new one that will accomplish the same thing.
Hell, if I screw it up, I just won't be able to afford putting the car on the dyno this Spring...I'll have to buy a new FCG instead.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 9:08:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I hear ya EBH.  I'm not going to go crazy or anything... I was basically just looking for some simple things to do to "clean up" the parts.  Off-the-shelf products always have machining marks and rough edges.  If I cut the hammer, I won't go as far as some...maybe 75% of that.  There's always room for improvements without replacing parts.  Kind of like porting an intake manifold for free instead of spending $900 on a new one that will accomplish the same thing.Hell, if I screw it up, I just won't be able to afford putting the car on the dyno this Spring...I'll have to buy a new FCG instead.

View Quote
 just be careful.  screwing up a manifold won't get you in pita prison.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 9:15:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Get some Remington 40X Bore Cleaner from Wal-Mart. It's a fine-grit abrasive suspended in a light oil. Use a few drops of it to lube the hammer-sear engagement surface, then dry-fire the gun 50-100 times. You'll notice a major improvement in the smoothness of the trigger, without removing too much material or hosing the engagement surface geometry.

Then clean the trigger thoroughly to remove all of the abrasive. Enjoy your much-improved trigger.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 9:59:33 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I hear ya EBH.  I'm not going to go crazy or anything... I was basically just looking for some simple things to do to "clean up" the parts.  Off-the-shelf products always have machining marks and rough edges.  If I cut the hammer, I won't go as far as some...maybe 75% of that.  There's always room for improvements without replacing parts.  Kind of like porting an intake manifold for free instead of spending $900 on a new one that will accomplish the same thing.Hell, if I screw it up, I just won't be able to afford putting the car on the dyno this Spring...I'll have to buy a new FCG instead.

:)  True... thank you.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 10:00:36 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Get some Remington 40X Bore Cleaner from Wal-Mart. It's a fine-grit abrasive suspended in a light oil. Use a few drops of it to lube the hammer-sear engagement surface, then dry-fire the gun 50-100 times. You'll notice a major improvement in the smoothness of the trigger, without removing too much material or hosing the engagement surface geometry.

Then clean the trigger thoroughly to remove all of the abrasive. Enjoy your much-improved trigger.
View Quote

I'll do that first.  Thanks for that tip. Want to see if they have any .223\5.56 on the shelf anyway.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 11:45:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

I would never recommend altering a fire control group, especially if you have no experience doing it. Like a couple have suggested, just replace the existing trigger/hammer/disconnect with a new ALG ACT or ALG QMS. Both can be bought for under $70. I am using the ALG ACT on two of my ARs and I love it. It is smooth and breaks clean. Money well spent.

ALG ACT

ALG QMS
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:32:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Concur with the ALG triggers.  Using ALG QMS triggers  in 2 ARS and there are very nice.  Then there is no need to worry about removing surface hardening by over polishing or anything...

Quoted:

I would never recommend altering a fire control group, especially if you have no experience doing it. Like a couple have suggested, just replace the existing trigger/hammer/disconnect with a new ALG ACT or ALG QMS. Both can be bought for under $70. I am using the ALG ACT on two of my ARs and I love it. It is smooth and breaks clean. Money well spent.

ALG ACT

ALG QMS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ALG ACT

ALG QMS

Link Posted: 2/28/2015 1:15:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

ALG ACT

ALG QMS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ALG ACT

ALG QMS

Agree.
I wouldn't go nuts with the file or stone.
I've combined the above triggers with JP springs and the set screw to yield a decent, budget trigger.
Also have used the Daniel Defense trigger with the same "kit".

An alternative to the 1/4-28 set screw is the sexier "Trigger Adjustment Screw".
Not budget, but not a bank-breaker either...

Link Posted: 2/28/2015 1:30:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 2:31:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Let me guess, you are one of those Oklahoma Street Racers, aren't you? You might even be Big Chief himself, lol!!!!!!  So without taking this thread to far off topic, some of us are car/truck guys as well, so what are you wrenching on?   As for triggers my next will be one of the ALG units, read good things about them and the price seems more than fair. YMMV?
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 4:44:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Alright, alright... jeeez, I'll leave the FCG alone.  For now.   :)

I built a '69 Camaro for the 'road'.  I lost interest in drag racing a long time ago, so I put this car together to have a lot more fun in for extended periods of time beyond 10 seconds.  Little by little I've dumped a retirements worth of money into it but it's still a ways away from where it will ultimately end up.  I drive it daily as well.  Makes going to work actually something to look forward to.  There's nothing like taking that on-ramp at 70mph at 6:30 in the morning, or standing on it and feeling 450 horses kick you in the back.  Better than coffee.

Donuts?  Only if I'm not careful.

Link Posted: 2/28/2015 4:45:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

+1
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

I looked and looked at triggers (money sitting/waiting so that is not the issue) for what felt like forever. I could not make up my mind - so I went QMS and like it very much. Not as nice as some of the 250.00 triggers I have used....but it is better than stock.

My reason for wanting a trigger? Well, the one in there now (BS Special with 3-4,000 rounds) went full auto a couple of times - and since I have the M16 BCG - I don't need the man in my life. Also, since the kids use the gun often - it was not safe.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 8:10:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

My reason for wanting a trigger? Well, the one in there now (BS Special with 3-4,000 rounds) went full auto a couple of times - and since I have the M16 BCG - I don't need the man in my life. .
View Quote

Why would the MAN only come into your life because of that BCG?
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 9:24:04 AM EDT
[#22]
I've decided it's not worth the effort to 'clean up' or work-in the stock trigger.
I spent some time on the range yesterday with my son after getting the new BCG.  We spent around 300 rounds.  I cannot stand the stock trigger.  Y'all are right...it's not worth it.  So thank you to everyone for spending my money for me.

:)

Gonna visit PSA at the end of the month and see what they have on the shelf.

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 11:45:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Came in to say this and you can even sell the other trigger to save even more or keep as spare.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 1:43:03 PM EDT
[#24]
FYI a quality LPK will come with a decent trigger. Stag has no creep in their triggers. Not all parts kits a created equal
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 2:06:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
FYI a quality LPK will come with a decent trigger. Stag has no creep in their triggers. Not all parts kits a created equal
View Quote

True dat.
You can get a good one.
I paid the premium for a Daniel Defense LPK and got a nice mil-spec trigger.
Similar to the ACT, I would say.

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 2:14:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Came in to say this and you can even sell the other trigger to save even more or keep as spare.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stock triggers do not sell for squat
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 2:15:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I've decided it's not worth the effort to 'clean up' or work-in the stock trigger.I spent some time on the range yesterday with my son after getting the new BCG.  We spent around 300 rounds.  I cannot stand the stock trigger.  Y'all are right...it's not worth it.  So thank you to everyone for spending my money for me.
:)
Gonna visit PSA at the end of the month and see what they have on the shelf.

View Quote

Just order a ALG ACT.....about $60 and the best trigger for your money
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 2:19:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LPK triggers are nearly not worth the time it takes to list them.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 2:56:45 PM EDT
[#29]
We're spoiled with all the AR trigger options these days.
The mil-spec trigger has been defending the Free World for what ?......50 years or so ?

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 3:01:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have seen them for around $20 used snapped up fast that gives him the qms for $25 if he was worried about budget. I have seen $8 trigger gaurds sell quickly but with all that said I wouldn't waist my time either.

Edit-The first thing posted on EE is a hammer spring for 10 shipped so he could technically get that QMS for next to nothing.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top