Quoted:
Nice....

What kind of bipod do you plan to run?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Quoted:

this is what happens when you have a free day, bored and online. I went through this thread and just ordered a bumpfire stock. i have a beater dmps that this will be going on. all i need is a bipod adapter

Nice....

What kind of bipod do you plan to run?
its a cheapy no name bipod that i have in my parts drawer. Right now, i just want to see if it works with what I have. I also got my shipping notice, i should have it saturday

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 12:25:34 PM EDT
[#2]
One issue with the steel case ammo that gets overlooked is that there is inherently more friction with the steel cases rubbing each other and the underside of the carrier vs. brass cases.   Also it tends to be on the under powered side of things which exacerbates the issues.

They also have less give which is why a fully loaded mag with brass cased ammo that can be inserted with the carrier forward has issues if fully loaded with steel cases.

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 4:10:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Awesome thread.

Does anybody have the weight of the BFS bump fire stock?

I hope it works with my 22lr upper.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 9:06:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok jaqufrost, I have a JARD in my cart at brownell's. Tell me one more time what this trigger does to improve bump fire? I take your word for it, but I want to know what I am getting it for outside your recommendation.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 9:38:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Awesome thread.

Does anybody have the weight of the BFS bump fire stock?

I hope it works with my 22lr upper.
View Quote

It is 12oz. direct from the mouth of the owner of BFS.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 11:03:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Ok jaqufrost, I have a JARD in my cart at brownell's. Tell me one more time what this trigger does to improve bump fire? I take your word for it, but I want to know what I am getting it for outside your recommendation.
View Quote

This, I keep going between the JARD (which I'm a little worried about adjusting correctly), and a G2S, since I saw the video of that SBR being run with the BFS and G2S.  I NEED GUIDANCE!
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 11:25:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote
My understanding is it has one of the slower lock times of the match trigger designs.  That gives the carrier a few more milliseconds to close before the hammer impacts the firing pin.  It's not a magic bullet, but I've had enough times playing with my Geissele S2S(pre-cursor to the G2S) and SD3G where the hammer was down too early, so I was looking for a hammer that was slower.

I think the CMC may also be slower and that is the other trigger I was considering for this build.  I really wish I had the tools to test the triggers myself.  I've been looking for the actual lock time on the JARD and I haven't been able to find it, I thought I read awhile back that it was slower than a standard hammer.

I had less trouble with the S2S than the SD3G, probably because of the increased reset travel required.

One of the upsides to the JARD is you can swap trigger weights from 1.5 to 4.5lb with just a $5 spring swap.  You can also adjust the reset to an extremely short distance.  One of my other rifles with the 1.5lb version I had to adjust my over travel out because I was getting a second shot when I didn't want it.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 10:49:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the reply guys. I'm looking forward to joining the club soon
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 12:54:20 PM EDT
[#9]
The weight of the stock won't make much of a difference for the .22. It's the stationary part of the gun. You are really going to want something light weight with a GOOD trigger to get .22 to bump. I have seen it done, though never off of a bipod.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 12:56:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My understanding is it has one of the slower lock times of the match trigger designs.  That gives the carrier a few more milliseconds to close before the hammer impacts the firing pin.  It's not a magic bullet, but I've had enough times playing with my Geissele S2S(pre-cursor to the G2S) and SD3G where the hammer was down too early, so I was looking for a hammer that was slower.  

I think the CMC may also be slower and that is the other trigger I was considering for this build.  I really wish I had the tools to test the triggers myself.  I've been looking for the actual lock time on the JARD and I haven't been able to find it, I thought I read awhile back that it was slower than a standard hammer.

I had less trouble with the S2S than the SD3G, probably because of the increased reset travel required.

One of the upsides to the JARD is you can swap trigger weights from 1.5 to 4.5lb with just a $5 spring swap.  You can also adjust the reset to an extremely short distance.  One of my other rifles with the 1.5lb version I had to adjust my over travel out because I was getting a second shot when I didn't want it.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you for that.

I think we need to proposition one of these trigger companies to make a BF specific trigger. Big heavy hammer, slow spring, light pull, etc.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 1:24:41 PM EDT
[#11]
So I need some quick advise.  I ordered the a 16" A2 profile barrel, mid-length gas system from PSA for their barrel clearance sale.
Barrel I ordered

However, I received a 16" M4A1 barrel (obviously with a carbine length gas system).
Barrel I received

So, I'm about sick of waiting for stuff to arrive, and I REALLY don't want to deal with contacting PSA, sending a barrel back, and then waiting to receive the new one.  So, now I'm trying to figure out if it is a good or bad idea to just build the rifle on this barrel (mostly because I've seen most people say that the mid-length seems to run better).  Another advantage I see is that I'm pretty sure the M4A1 barrel is a tad lighter, which would mean the BFS stock would probably run better.

So what do you you guys think.  Is it worth the hassel to send back a barrel and wait for the other to arrive?  Or will the one I have work just fine.  I'm building it with a YHM gasblock as a dissy, if that matters.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 2:03:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So I need some quick advise.  I ordered the a 16" A2 profile barrel, mid-length gas system from PSA for their barrel clearance sale.
Barrel I ordered

However, I received a 16" M4A1 barrel (obviously with a carbine length gas system).
Barrel I received

So, I'm about sick of waiting for stuff to arrive, and I REALLY don't want to deal with contacting PSA, sending a barrel back, and then waiting to receive the new one.  So, now I'm trying to figure out if it is a good or bad idea to just build the rifle on this barrel (mostly because I've seen most people say that the mid-length seems to run better).  Another advantage I see is that I'm pretty sure the M4A1 barrel is a tad lighter, which would mean the BFS stock would probably run better.

So what do you you guys think.  Is it worth the hassel to send back a barrel and wait for the other to arrive?  Or will the one I have work just fine.  I'm building it with a YHM gasblock as a dissy, if that matters.
View Quote

My Bump-SAW goes great on a carbine gas 16"

I think it's probably one of the few places it's preferable since I bet you'll be running a lot of low power steel cased stuff.

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 2:06:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Edit: Mehh. Rules is rules.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 2:24:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Updated the Wikipedia entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bump_fire,

after bumping into Bill Atkins on Weaponeer.  He's got a new video of his 10/22 water-cooled/air-cooled prototype, with removable water jacket.

Skip to 7:40 for him actually firing it & clearing stovepipe jams.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 2:30:05 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Barrel I ordered

Barrel I received

View Quote
I agree with SilletsUSMC, this is one application where a carbine gas system may be better than a mid-length system.  If you want to run a lot of steel cased .223 carbine systems work extremely well for that.  

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 1:23:46 AM EDT
[#16]
So I finally decided to take the JP low mass carrier out of the package.  Think I should have returned it and just got a slide fire instead, but I am stubborn in trying to get this to run without one.

My gun also has SD-3G and an extra power JP recoil spring.  Have been running it with a SDN-6 to keep the indoor range from throwing me out...  I was getting hammer follow through after anywhere from 1 to 3 or 4 shots.  Most often just after 1.

With the addition of the low mass carrier, I can consistently double the gun and the hammer is cocked afterwards.  However, having a very difficult time getting off more than 2 shots now.

I am thinking I need a bipod that is more wobbly, right now running a Harris bipod with a good quality rail adapter.   Any UTG bipods that can be recommended for the right amount of wobble?

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 1:02:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quake_Guy

I would need to see a pic of your setup before I would give bipod advice. Since most bipods are designed around precision shooting, it's kind of a crapshoot when going with the known brands. I know from watching reviews that spendier bipods such as the atlas and GG&G would work. I also know that's $200 and most people don't (yet) see it being worth the money.

I know when I set out to do this thing in the first place, I intentionally looked at cheap airsoft stuff. For starters, they are cheap in price, so you aren't out a lot of dough if it doesn't pan out. They are also not finely precise so it's almost assumed they will wobble. The downsides are that they are cheap in quality and command a certain amount of derision when you show them to other shooters. I went to the local army surplus places outside Ft. Lewis and got this bipod for $20 or so. You can find similar when you google image search "picatinny mount bipod." You'll find stuff like this.  

Here was mine as I put it together out of old parts. My cheap bipod BROKE and that is why I put the cool-guy M60 struts. They looked cool, but they had a purpose. I still have them and I want to mount them again someday.

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 1:18:03 PM EDT
[#18]
You might try a loose bipod adapter.  Maybe an ADM mount adjusted so it is loose but the QD still locks keeping it on the rail.        

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 4:05:22 PM EDT
[#19]
One thing that drove me away from the "loose bipod" idea was that it was still loose when it was closed and not in use. Having something at the end of the gun shaking back and forth would be pretty obnoxious when you are using the gun in the traditional carbine mode.

I suppose if this is truly purpose-buit to be a prone Bump-SAW it doesn't matter. As much as you might see me running mine while probed out, I do use it for normal carbine shoots from time to time.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 9:11:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You might try a loose bipod adapter.  Maybe an ADM mount adjusted so it is loose but the QD still locks keeping it on the rail.          
View Quote

played around with it, but maybe I can't duplicate the original just right condition of looseness...  I suspect its the bipod tightness, because I cleaned the gun before my last range trip and noticed the bipod was fairly loose and tightened it up without thinking of the possible results...
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 4:38:41 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
played around with it, but maybe I can't duplicate the original just right condition of looseness...  I suspect its the bipod tightness, because I cleaned the gun before my last range trip and noticed the bipod was fairly loose and tightened it up without thinking of the possible results...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So what is your technique in a non-BF, non select fire IAR?

I could imagine something working if you were to grab the rear of the stock and push forward gently like this guy. It's douchey but it does work. It's not at all accurate though.

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 7:15:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
couple of questions, been lurking....'
I am finishing up a dissipator upper on slidefire stock. Quadrail and bipod

Anybody have any suggestions on muzzle device? Break or flash hider?

Also, what sights are u guys running, I have been looking at an eotech for this type of build. Thanks!

View Quote

Both http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XPWSTRIAD556&name=PWS+5.56%2f.223+Triad+Flash+Suppressor&groupid=973
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:46:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I could imagine something working if you were to grab the rear of the stock and push forward gently like this guy. It's douchey but it does work. It's not at all accurate though.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

left hand on top of stock gently pushing forward with right hand loosely formed around pistol grip to do the bump.   maybe I need to push more forcefully with the left hand.   but given the very short reset of the SD3G and mild recoil of my rifle with the can attached, I should be able to keep the travel to a minimum and have decent accuracy with a bipod.

I think I have the technical issues figured out regard bolt follow through, I just need to get outdoors where I have more freedom to experiment with technique.  I get the looks when I am at the indoor range.   I may order a cheap UTG bipod to give me some more options next time I can shoot outside.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 12:49:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Would using a suppressor typically make the gun operate more or less reliably?  From the reading in the OP, it makes it seem (to me) that making sure the bolt closes as quickly as possible is one of the more important things.  Everything I've read says that using a suppressor will increase the ROF in a rifle.  So, that says to me that the suppressor causes the bolt to cycle quicker than if there wasn't one, which will help with a trigger that has a slightly quicker lock time.  I'm basically trying to decide between spending $115 on a SOCOM flash hider, or using the A2 flash hider in my parts box.

Parts I'm using for the build:
Barrel: PSA M4A1 profile w/ Carbine gas
Lower: Anderson Arms
LPK: White Oak Armory
Trigger: G2S
Stock: Bump Fire Systems

On another note, it's a dissipator build, and I'm using Magpul MOE handguards.  With the YHM flip up gas block, is there a way to get the handguard cap to stay in place against the gas block without the handguards on?  I had a busted gas tube that I cut and up used to 'pin' the cap with the gas block.  But the end cap still slides down the gas tube when I remove the handguards.  Any ideas, other than tapping the gas block and using a screw?

TLDR; Will a suppressor (its a SOCOM556) typically make a bumpSAW more reliable?  
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 7:07:43 PM EDT
[#25]
The suppressor will increase back pressure and it should open a little faster.  It probably won't make much difference on how fast the bcg closes though.  The suppressor will also add some weight and reduce recoil which could have some effect on the rifles ability to bump.  It should work either way, but I would run it without the suppressor most of the time simply because if your dropping a lot of rounds your producing a lot of heat, and the suppressor only exacerbates the heat build up.

ETA: To keep your handguard cap in place I would probably use a short piece of gas tube and peen it open so that it pushes the cap against the YHM flip up gas block.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 8:09:22 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
left hand on top of stock gently pushing forward with right hand loosely formed around pistol grip to do the bump.   maybe I need to push more forcefully with the left hand.   but given the very short reset of the SD3G and mild recoil of my rifle with the can attached, I should be able to keep the travel to a minimum and have decent accuracy with a bipod.

I think I have the technical issues figured out regard bolt follow through, I just need to get outdoors where I have more freedom to experiment with technique.  I get the looks when I am at the indoor range.   I may order a cheap UTG bipod to give me some more options next time I can shoot outside.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You might get that to work, but it's way too sensitive a technique for me personally. When my gun doesn't go there is usually something big going on to cause it not to bump. It's obviously not flawless though.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:42:26 PM EDT
[#27]
I've been following this thread for a couple weeks, on a whim I asked the local fun shoppe guy if they had an M60 bipod. He pulled a new-old-stock one right out of a box of stuff, I handed him $100 USD, now I must make a bumpSAW.

I have a rifle in my safe that will be the donor with specs:

RRA reciever
Adams Arms piston carbine length
Daniel Defense .gov profile 16" barrel
MIAD grip
YHM QD suppressor mount flash hider
RRA 2 stage NM trigger

The magic brown truck dropped off:
magpul FCS
YHM Flip up gas block / front sight
magpul SL handguards

My plan is to replicate the DIY stock posted by jaqufrost. Through PMs I have most of my questions answered. It is a piston gun but I still want to have the YHM gas block out front to both increase sight radius and more importantly hold the bipod in place. I have seen bipods held in place between flash hiders and the gas block with good results, what if I were to "saddle" the gas block on the M60 bipod? I know there is probably not enough clearance between the barrel and the gas tube channel as is, but I can remove some metal and possibly get it to fit. Thoughts?

I dont want to remove any material from the bipod, that would be borderline sacrelige. Although, if the saddle idea works, I could make the anti-rotation a viable addition.

As for trigger, from what I gather, 2 stages are not ideal. Plus the hammer in the RRA NM is lighter. I have a Jard adjustable in another rifle that I could swap out though. Would a milspec trigger with JP light yellow spring work?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:18:09 PM EDT
[#28]
I would leave the RRA two stage in it for now.  I know guys are bumping with stock triggers, and an RRA should be easier to use than that.  If it doesn't work well, then I would make the swap.

In case anyone is wondering, I played with my JARD yesterday and tried to take a measurement of how long my reset was.  I'm measuring a .06 reset length, which is the same as the SD3G.  Of course the JARD is adjustable, so I could shave it down a little more or open it up.

My total front to back movement was limited to .10.  I need to try and measure how much overtravel I have, my reset might actually be a hair under .06 because the .06 was measured from the trigger all the way back until the hammer dropped off the disconnector.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:47:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:18:52 AM EDT
[#30]
C5 Hardtop just posted this over in the 3 position Geissele thread.  This is great information for selecting a trigger for bumpfiring.

From ARFCOM member "feynman99"

____Trigger______Pretravel (in)____Overtravel (in)____ Reset (in)____Pull weight (lbs)____Hammer PE (in*oz)

Taccon mode 1_____ 0.0335_________0.0335__________ 0.0420______3.638_____________52.23

Taccon mode 2_____0.0335_________0.0070___________0.0155______4.075_____________52.23

Timney 3lb_________0.0155_________0.0285__________0.0350_______3.238_____________61.92

AR Gold___________0.0140_________0.0055__________0.0140_______2.563_____________69.98

Geissele S3G_______0.0405_________0.0400__________0.0620_______2.875_____________100.68

Hipertouch 24E_____0.0400_________0.0370__________0.0600_______2.469_____________115.08

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:14:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I happen to know a little about mounting an M60 bipod to an AR.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/615937_M60_bipod_mounted_to_my_M4_contour_barrel__How_I_did_it_.html

View Quote

Yes! I started to fit my bipod last night and know exactly what you did there. I need to relieve the lower half of the front clamp on my YHM block like you did. With that, it will provide a slight gap to allow my flash hider / suppressor mount to rest against the barrel shoulder instead of the bipod adapter.

I'll post pics once I get it going. With the SL handguards and bipod folded up it reminds me of a BAR. So far I'm loving this thing.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:41:56 PM EDT
[#32]
i was at the range earlier today and got to try it out for the first time. I kept having trigger reset issues, i couldnt get through more than a few bursts without it happening.

and while i kept having issues, the cheap bipod i have works great, it has just enough give to wobble back and forth.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:44:17 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

i was at the range earlier today and got to try it out for the first time. I kept having trigger reset issues, i couldnt get through more than a few bursts without it happening.

and while i kept having issues, the cheap bipod i have works great, it has just enough give to wobble back and forth.

http://i58.tinypic.com/ilj77c.jpg  
View Quote
Rifle looks good. What trigger are you using?

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 2:32:50 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

run of the mill stock mil spec trigger. Im going to swap lowers with different triggers and buffer weights to see how it changes.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 4:27:46 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View Quote

Make sure your stock is moving back and forth nice and freely. It could be that the rifle portion of the system isn't getting back far enough to disconnect.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:57:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Pics Man, Pics!
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:02:18 AM EDT
[#37]
I bought a VLTOR A1 stock that fits the Carbine receiver extensions.  I'm tempted to try making it into another bump stock to see if I like the length of pull better.

My MOE fixed stock is a little short.  I bought the .5 extension pad, but I haven't had time to try it out yet.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:17:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Pics Man, Pics!
View Quote

Teaser pic of upper.

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:30:24 PM EDT
[#39]

View All Quotes

That's shit-hawt. You need to post that in my GD thread!
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:41:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Where do you get those m60 bipods
Thanks
Tom
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:16:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Teaser pic of upper.

<a href="http://s267.photobucket.com/user/Cramerica1/media/IMG_20141022_083724662_zpsap95vdns.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii307/Cramerica1/IMG_20141022_083724662_zpsap95vdns.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pics Man, Pics!

Teaser pic of upper.

<a href="http://s267.photobucket.com/user/Cramerica1/media/IMG_20141022_083724662_zpsap95vdns.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii307/Cramerica1/IMG_20141022_083724662_zpsap95vdns.jpg</a>

Spec's Please! I tried to shoot my bump gun with a Piston upper with no luck..  Simply bad fuckin ass!.......Sully
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:37:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Spec's Please! I tried to shoot my bump gun with a Piston upper with no luck..  Simply bad fuckin ass!.......Sully
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pics Man, Pics!

Teaser pic of upper.

I posted beginning specs in an earlier post on this page. I did the gas block clamp modification tonight with a milling bit and dremel. Went surprisingly fast with minimal run-over-and-scar-your-entire-piece-and-vise. I also took down some more of the inside of the bipod yoke so the flash hider rests on the barrel shoulder and has about a 0.002" gap to allow movement of then bipod. About as good as you can get without a mill. I'll start the stock mod this weekend with FCS and MIAD between kydex holster making and loading 9mm.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 5:38:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I posted beginning specs in an earlier post on this page. I did the gas block clamp modification tonight with a milling bit and dremel. Went surprisingly fast with minimal run-over-and-scar-your-entire-piece-and-vise. I also took down some more of the inside of the bipod yoke so the flash hider rests on the barrel shoulder and has about a 0.002" gap to allow movement of then bipod. About as good as you can get without a mill. I'll start the stock mod this weekend with FCS and MIAD between kydex holster making and loading 9mm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pics Man, Pics!

Teaser pic of upper.

Thanks, I hope it shoots as good as it looks!..........Sully
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:44:58 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Where do you get those m60 bipods

Thanks

Tom
View Quote
They pop up on the EE or Gunbroker from time to time. Expect to pay ~$200ish.

I wish someone would make a legit rail-mounted version. I remember a guy here who had a CAD drawing of a generic version.

Then there's these random things I could never get ID'd.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 6:51:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Thanks I will keep looking
Tom
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 10:33:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
It's really not needed on a 9mm though.  9mm's are blowback and don't have the timing issues that a 5.56 gun will.  They don't need any extra time for the bolt to close at the end of the stroke before the firing pin can reach the primer.

9mm's also use a heavy bolt that pushes the gun forward slightly when it returns to battery.  I think you could replicate that video with just an SD3G or AR Gold trigger in a standard 9mm setup.  If you wanted a higher cyclic rate you could shorten the stroke or use an extended buffer so their is less overall travel during the cycle, this also prevents the bolt catch from breaking when it gets struck by the bolt.
View Quote

I had some friends shooting my 9mm with a Fostech stock yesterday.  I haven't had a problem with it, but they had 3 or 4 out-of-battery detonations.  When shooting 5.56, the worst I've had happen is hammer follow.  I'm not sure if I was getting early hammer release, or if it was bolt bounce, timed just wrong so the hammer was hitting while it wasn't all the way into battery.

On the 5.56 uppers I've gone to an AAC rate reducing buffer, which seems to greatly reduce the amount of HF I get.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 1:37:14 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

I had some friends shooting my 9mm with a Fostech stock yesterday.  I haven't had a problem with it, but they had 3 or 4 out-of-battery detonations.  When shooting 5.56, the worst I've had happen is hammer follow.  I'm not sure if I was getting early hammer release, or if it was bolt bounce, timed just wrong so the hammer was hitting while it wasn't all the way into battery.

On the 5.56 uppers I've gone to an AAC rate reducing buffer, which seems to greatly reduce the amount of HF I get.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's really not needed on a 9mm though.  9mm's are blowback and don't have the timing issues that a 5.56 gun will.  They don't need any extra time for the bolt to close at the end of the stroke before the firing pin can reach the primer.

9mm's also use a heavy bolt that pushes the gun forward slightly when it returns to battery.  I think you could replicate that video with just an SD3G or AR Gold trigger in a standard 9mm setup.  If you wanted a higher cyclic rate you could shorten the stroke or use an extended buffer so their is less overall travel during the cycle, this also prevents the bolt catch from breaking when it gets struck by the bolt.

Great information, do you know which trigger was being used in the 9mm?

Link Posted: 11/4/2014 2:15:56 PM EDT
[#48]
As promised, moar pics of my bumpfire SAW. I finished it on Sunday, have not shot it yet, will this weekend though. I hand cycled it with the charging handle to simulate recoil and it worked every time. I used JacqueFrost's method with Magpul FCS and MIAD. The MIAD is loose and can slip off the reciever even with the roll pin but I attached it to the metal bracket with two screws threaded into the metal so it is not coming off.

That metal bracket was a MAJOR pain in the ass to fit. The worst part is where it curves around the reciever from the grip to the stock. Seriously, start with that bend first then form the rest. I ground some metal from the stock fin to allow more clearance and oiled it up to reduce friction. To make all the holes and slots I lifted my drill press with a piece of scrap board then attached a drill press vise to a board that was locked in a milling vise to allow X and Y axis movement in sort of a poor man's mill.

Enough jibber jabber:

Link Posted: 11/4/2014 3:57:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Wow! That is awesome! It's like jaqufrosts gun and mine had a baby...

I really like that SL handguard. I want to see a rifle length version.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 4:02:23 PM EDT
[#50]
I can't see pictures at work, but I'll be checking this thread as soon as I'm home so I can see your build.        

Page / 21
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top