AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 43 of 1565)
Page / 1565
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 6:46:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Advance] [#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ihcnehc:

Thanks PFran42.  I use them for pinning and welding FHs, too.  Their turnaround has been about  3 - 5 hours for me.  The barrel will be back on the UPS truck the same day it was received.  

View Quote

Does ADCO let you specify the gas port size?  As you possibly know, from my posts a few pages back, I am getting my Colt barrels cut as well.

ADCO would not tell me what they were opening it up to. I thought this was odd as all I have to do is measure and report my findings (if it were some super industry secret). I did tell them I did not want the full on .080" DD experience. I asked them to do what they thought was best for someone who was going to shoot just about everything except the most extreme cases of weak, steel cased ammo. I'm guessing .073"-.0.77" (but what do I know?).

Link Posted: 5/15/2014 6:58:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Anyone measure the noveske barrels and find the gas port size?
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 7:15:12 PM EDT
[#3]

Those XPS's just look "right" on those.

I'm always jealous of your mk18 and cqbr. I don't know why because I have nearly identical ones.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 7:27:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: G_MAN] [#4]
Originally Posted By fadedsun:
View Quote

I find it odd that this info isn't on the spec sheet for every rifle, barrel and upper that's sold and the fact that ADCO and Rainier don't disclose, even to the customer paying them, this info is very puzzling.

anyone ever ask them why they won't tell you?

edit: i'll head to their industry page and ask.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 7:45:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Originally Posted By G_MAN:
I find it odd that this info isn't on the spec sheet for every rifle, barrel and upper that's sold and the fact that ADCO and Rainier don't disclose, even to the customer paying them, this info is very puzzling.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By G_MAN:

Let us know what you find out.

My guess, from my own experience, is that most shops probably use regular drill bits to open up a gas port.  These bits are practically as thin as wires and will vibrate slightly as the hole is being drilled.  For example, if you use a 73 bit, the hole will probably end up being anywhere between 0.074 to 0.077.  As such, if they tell you, say, 0,073, and someone measures the end result with a Mitutoyo and ends up with different reading, they practically open themselves up to endless back and fourth with customers.

Link Posted: 5/15/2014 7:50:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By PFran42:

The SF4P (FH556-RC-1/2x28) is kind of a unicorn part. It is/was issued to Military and supposedly not available to civilians.  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Will816:
Originally Posted By ECPrevatte:
SF4P looks good Fran.

What is this SF4P you speak of???

The SF4P (FH556-RC-1/2x28) is kind of a unicorn part. It is/was issued to Military and supposedly not available to civilians.  

What's the difference between the two? Is one rarer/harder to find than the other?

Link Posted: 5/15/2014 7:53:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Stryker187:

What's the difference between the two? Is one rarer/harder to find than the other?

http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s399/Stryker1807/IMG_0114.jpg

View All Quotes
SF4P looks good Fran.

Like a lot of clone stuff...the 4P is less effective - yet people want to spend more for it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 8:12:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StevieJ309] [#8]

View All Quotes
SF4P looks good Fran.

The 215A (pictured) is for use with legacy suppressors and the newer FH556RC (SF4P) is for the new SOCOM cans. Also, the 215A is/was always available to civilians whereas the SF4P was made for SOCOM only.

My understanding is that Surefire gave some SF4P's to industry friends and  many were subsequently sold.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 8:16:28 PM EDT
[#9]
This should be approved next month. Going to have matching CQBR's but one will be .300blk

Link Posted: 5/15/2014 8:36:44 PM EDT
[#10]

View All Quotes
SF4P looks good Fran.

The FH556-RC, slightly different, this one is more offset in it's tines vs the -215A.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 8:41:21 PM EDT
[#11]
3rd SFG with Colombian Air Force:

Link Posted: 5/15/2014 8:55:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By StevieJ309:
3rd SFG with Colombian Air Force:

<a href="http://s890.photobucket.com/user/SJasper84/media/1337685.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac108/SJasper84/1337685.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s890.photobucket.com/user/SJasper84/media/1337700.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac108/SJasper84/1337700.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s890.photobucket.com/user/SJasper84/media/1337701.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac108/SJasper84/1337701.jpg</a>
View Quote

Beat me to it, was about to post these myself.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 9:27:20 PM EDT
[#13]
I was a little surprised they hadn't been posted yet.  
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 9:35:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By StevieJ309:
I was a little surprised they hadn't been posted yet.  
View Quote

they'd have been up quicker if they were sporting beards and woodland camo
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 9:44:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By hatexoc:
This should be approved next month. Going to have matching CQBR's but one will be .300blk
<a href="http://s1263.photobucket.com/user/hatexoc/media/A9F9ACE5-8F79-4FD2-B0CC-80E8C0E29432-2384-0000013A0561B222_zpse9daacc8.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1263.photobucket.com/albums/ii640/hatexoc/A9F9ACE5-8F79-4FD2-B0CC-80E8C0E29432-2384-0000013A0561B222_zpse9daacc8.jpg</a>
View Quote

Awesome.  One day I will get a registered full auto lower, or maybe a RDIAS.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 9:48:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Yeah no doubt.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 9:50:30 PM EDT
[#17]
That third pin looks engraved and not real. Is it?
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 9:51:28 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote
That is a SPUD lower.

Link Posted: 5/15/2014 10:06:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ArmedFerret] [#19]
View Quote

Well, it has NoDakSpud's manufacturer info, so I'm gonna go with engraved and not real for $200, Trebek.  
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 10:16:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Correct it is just an engraved lower
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 1:16:21 AM EDT
[#21]
I know I'm late to respond and my opinion probably doesn't mean much, but having the correct parts is important, color and finish should be personal preference. Just my $.02. I didn't cerakote this build, but I did Cerakote the furniture on my phased replacement and it rocks. I also think Seaslug's rig is one of the most visually appealing builds in both threads
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 1:44:28 AM EDT
[#22]
The first time I saw Seaslug's CQBR, I was overwhelmed with some very unnatural thoughts and feelings.

It's the very reason why I cerakoted one of my CQBRs patriot brown.
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 4:23:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Just want to check in with the thread before I start assembling a 100% clone-correct upper. Do the barrel threads terminate precisely where the DD MK18 RIS II starts? The cut-down Colt barrel is replacing a 10.5" Noveske so I have no point of reference.

Note: DD MK12 gas block is not here yet. This is in mock-up mode.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-rkCNFkyfcXI/U3U0YRrTViI/AAAAAAAA7zQ/5W22yRpj82M/w1872-h1385-no/IMG_20140515_174037.jpg
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-h3lxFLvGJjY/U3U0p5pnQdI/AAAAAAAA70A/Aj37X0hrykc/w1872-h1385-no/IMG_20140515_174137.jpg

View Quote

Yup! They did a fantastic job with that barrel cut and the threads start EXACTLY where they should. And this is why the 10.5 barrels looks so wrong and are easy to spot.

Very nice setup. I'm convinced the cut down Colt barrels are the absolute best to use. The DD barrels are over gassed. The stock Colt barrels are overly expensive. A cut down 6920 barrel is so sweet, you can set the gas port to exactly what you want it at AND it's a fairly cheap option.
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 5:03:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AR-Ryan21] [#24]
I continue to find it interesting that the previous MK18 thread lasted for nearly 500 pages, and gas port sizes were very rarely, if ever, even a conversation.

Now, during the current short life of this recent MK18 thread, gas port sizes are all of a sudden the primary topic of conversation.

And some of the points that continue to be mentioned are far more of a give and take than most make them out to be.

You say cut down Colt barrels "are the absolute best to use." That's more than fine. To each their own.

These recent DD gas port size conversations that next to never mattered before have more than been blown out of proportion in the grand scheme of things IMO.

Fact is, a chopped down 6920 barrel is still ultimately more expensive than a factory drilled DD barrel. And you still are somewhat rolling the dice having shopwork like that done.

And back to the DD gas port, I find it damn near hilarious that a barrel that's for sure going to reliably cycle any ammo in any environment is a negative.

And this entire overgassed recoil thing amuses me as well. I own two complete factory DD CQBRs currently, and have owned two other DD CQBR uppers as well. None of them are noticeably snappy or gassy - and all I have fed them is M855.

I own and have fired a plethora of different 556 SBRs of a large variety of different barrel lengths from a vast amount of different manufacturers. There's nothing that has any way stood out to me making 10.3" DDs noticeably snappier than any of the others.

Beyond that, like most setups, the ideal buffer weight is always important as well.

And ultimately, believe what you want, but overall, I have absolutely zero doubt that a 10.3" DD barrel is more accurate than any chopped down 10.3" Colt barrel. Beyond that, think what you want about CHF as well, but it's not some fairy tale. The DD barrel will take more abuse and sustain a higher round count.

Once again, to each their own, but I just find it very interesting that people have all of a sudden decided to ignore multiple advantages of one barrel just because of a gas port size that can also be considered an advantage to some.

Mind you, I'm honestly all for people going Colt for clone purposes. Despite what some may think, I see that as a great reason to go Colt.

I just feel that some are kidding themselves overall when they act like there's some or any grand advantage to a chopped down Colt barrel for anything other than clone cred.

It's just like those who try to act like an Elcan is an RDS.
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 5:27:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By AR-Ryan21:
I continue to find it interesting that the previous MK18 thread lasted for nearly 500 pages, and gas port sizes were very rarely, if ever, even a conversation.

Now, during the current short life of this recent MK18 thread, gas port sizes are all of a sudden the primary topic of conversation.

And some of the points that continue to be mentioned are far more of a give and take than most make them out to be.

You say cut down Colt barrels "are the absolute best to use." That's more than fine. To each their own.

These recent DD gas port size conversations that next to never mattered before have more than been blown out of proportion in the grand scheme of things IMO.

Fact is, a chopped down 6920 barrel is still ultimately more expensive than a factory drilled DD barrel. And you still are somewhat rolling the dice having shopwork like that done.

And back to the DD gas port, I find it damn near hilarious that a barrel that's for sure going to reliably cycle any ammo in any environment is a negative.

And this entire overgassed recoil thing amuses me as well. I own two complete factory DD CQBRs currently, and have owned two other DD CQBR uppers as well. None of them are noticeably snappy or gassy - and all I have fed them is M855.

I own and have fired a plethora of different 556 SBRs of a large variety of different barrel lengths from a vast amount of different manufacturers. There's nothing that has any way stood out to me making 10.3" DDs noticeably snappier than any of the others.

Beyond that, like most setups, the ideal buffer weight is always important as well.

And ultimately, believe what you want, but overall, I have absolutely zero doubt that a 10.3" DD barrel is more accurate than any chopped down 10.3" Colt barrel. Beyond that, think what you want about CHF as well, but it's not some fairy tale. The DD barrel will take more abuse and sustain a higher round count.

Once again, to each their own, but I just find it very interesting that people have all of a sudden decided to ignore multiple advantages of one barrel just because of a gas port size that can also be considered an advantage to some.

Mind you, I'm honestly all for people going Colt for clone purposes. Despite what some may think, I see that as a great reason to go Colt.

I just feel that some are kidding themselves overall when they act like there's some or any grand advantage to a chopped down Colt barrel for anything other than clone cred.

It's just like those who try to act like an Elcan is an RDS.
View Quote

I think it's the OCD for wanting to have what they have. If there was IMO more concrete proof that DD CHF 10.3" barrels (exact same as DD sells to the pubic) were the same as those used on .mil CQBRs, we'd use those over Colt in a heartbeat. I don't see anything wrong with trying to have the same thing "they" have, as that's the point of Clone builds.
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 8:12:12 AM EDT
[#26]
I understand this is a clone thread.  But it shouldn't be rigid in its specs,  if it passes the eye test it should be good
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 8:55:51 AM EDT
[#27]
The first time I saw Seaslug's CQBR, I was overwhelmed with some very unnatural thoughts and feelings.

View Quote

Where is this AR? I want those feels too...
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 9:09:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Dysfunction:

View All Quotes

I went to that newfangled google place, typed "seaslug cqbr" and whattayaknow...

Link

Link Posted: 5/16/2014 9:15:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: m3racer] [#29]
I think Geno's All black is pretty damn good looking too:

Link Posted: 5/16/2014 9:26:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By ArmedFerret:

I went to that newfangled google place, typed "seaslug cqbr" and whattayaknow...

Link

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ArmedFerret:

Link

Niiiiice

So I mocked up an ACOG on the DD MK18. I am seriously considering this over the SU-231.

Link Posted: 5/16/2014 9:33:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By m3racer:
http://imageshack.com/a/img842/4601/xzlc.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img836/2933/s3xb.jpg
View Quote

Elcan has Chinese writing on it?
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 9:39:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: m3racer] [#32]

View All Quotes

IT DOES? more pics here:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_148/1304969_Insight_M3X_1913_Long_Gun_Black__M3X_Dual_Pressure_Switch__Black___PRICES_LOWERED____.html
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 9:58:10 AM EDT
[#33]
View All Quotes

IT DOES? more pics here:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_148/1304969_Insight_M3X_1913_Long_Gun_Black__M3X_Dual_Pressure_Switch__Black___PRICES_LOWERED____.html

Camera just didn't catch the white writing very well.
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 1:20:07 PM EDT
[#34]
We might have a bit of a problem on our hands ladies and gentlemen.

I just got off the phone with Daniel Defense, after checking all the distributors at my dispoal for RIS II Rails, and the lady told me that she could not give me a realistic timeline as to when the rails or anything RIS II related would start to come around again. I asked her if they were going to continue making producing them for the civilian sector and if she expected them to ever come back and she said that she thinks so but is not sure.

As for a reason the reason behind them all being gone, you guessed it, MIL is taking them all. Looks like we are in for a storm. I'm glad I have at least one of each already.
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 1:47:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: C6H12O6] [#35]
Originally Posted By allensaldi:

I just got off the phone with Daniel Defense, after checking all the distributors at my dispoal for RIS II Rails, and the lady told me that she could not give me a realistic timeline as to when the rails or anything RIS II related would start to come around again. I asked her if they were going to continue making producing them for the civilian sector and if she expected them to ever come back and she said that she thinks so but is not sure.

As for a reason the reason behind them all being gone, you guessed it, MIL is taking them all. Looks like we are in for a storm. I'm glad I have at least one of each already.
View Quote

This isn't news; it's been common knowledge for months:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_382/245356_.html

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 1:53:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By C6H12O6:

This isn't news; it's been common knowledge since Fall 2013.

View All Quotes

Yeah, old news. And my understanding of it was that they would continue to make the Mk18 and M4A1 rifles, correct? So the only way to get an RIS II of any flavor is on a rifle.
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 1:56:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: C6H12O6] [#37]

Yeah, old news. And my understanding of it was that they would continue to make the Mk18 and M4A1 rifles, correct? So the only way to get an RIS II of any flavor is on a rifle.
View All Quotes

Correct. From "iceman" in DD industry forum:

As for RIS II, black models are available for sale. As it stands now FDE variants are not available for individual sales. We are currently delivering on a very large order under contract. This policy may change in the future, but for right now due to quantities and contractual obligations to our warfighters we are only able to release quantities sufficient for uppers and rifles.

And 10 seconds into a Google search for "Daniel Defense Mk18" found this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/464559/daniel-defense-ar-15-pistol-mk18-a3-flat-top-upper-assembly-556x45mm-nato-1-in-7-twist-103-government-barrel-chrome-lined-cm-with-mk18-ris-ii-quad-rail-free-float-handguard-flash-hider

Still in stock at the time of posting....
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 2:05:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jarmstrong1029] [#38]
You can still build a mk18 upper on their website for purchase as well.

Edit- too slow.
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 3:27:47 PM EDT
[#39]
The lady told me that no rails of any kind were around to be had. Nor was anything else.
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 3:28:40 PM EDT
[#40]
there are a few in EE once in awhile. better get them before the hoarders get them.
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 5:15:16 PM EDT
[#41]
View Quote

Great, now you've made me want to build a black CQBR.
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 5:47:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By AggiePhil:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AggiePhil:

Black CQBRs are badass.

That's why I had to do one black and one FDE.
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 7:59:54 PM EDT
[#43]
I have everything for my build except for the barrel and gas block. I have seen many threads about DD barrels being over gassed.  Has anyone here had any issues with their DD MK 18 barrels? I was going to just buy the DD barrel and mk12 gas block. But if it's over gassed I guess I will have to look for another option...
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 8:21:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By bwhited:
I have everything for my build except for the barrel and gas block. I have seen many threads about DD barrels being over gassed.  Has anyone here had any issues with their DD MK 18 barrels? I was going to just buy the DD barrel and mk12 gas block. But if it's over gassed I guess I will have to look for another option...
View Quote

There's plenty of DD MK18 owners out there that report no excessive recoil and have shot countless numbers of rounds without excessive wear and tear on their guns. I think the gas port thing is being a little nitpicky but if you want a tight gas port then yes, look elsewhere. I believe MilSpec is .070
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 8:28:52 PM EDT
[#45]
View Quote

While I've never shot SBR's (not counting the various M4's I had while in the Army), but the recoil on my DD upper is very flat and controllable. From what I had read about short barrels, it sounded like they had a good kick. Even with a pistol tube on mine, it doesn't feel any different than really any other carbine barrel I've shot.
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 8:34:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

While I've never shot SBR's (not counting the various M4's I had while in the Army), but the recoil on my DD upper is very flat and controllable. From what I had read about short barrels, it sounded like they had a good kick. Even with a pistol tube on mine, it doesn't feel any different than really any other carbine barrel I've shot.
View All Quotes

Pretty much. I don't understand why people report their SBR's kick so hard. Before MI lifted the ban on SBR's and I finally got one, I've shot countless AR pistols. From little 7.5" up to 11.5" and everything in between there was never really any more recoil than the larger carbines in the same caliber.

I have a video on my phone of me shooting a 7.5" AR pistol that has a "pistol length" gas system. Doesn't jump or buck at all. The gun stays flat as brass flies out of the ejection port
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 8:56:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Thanks guys. DD barrel ordered. My build will be all Colt with the exception of the DD barrel.
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 9:52:25 PM EDT
[#48]

Pretty much. I don't understand why people report their SBR's kick so hard. Before MI lifted the ban on SBR's and I finally got one, I've shot countless AR pistols. From little 7.5" up to 11.5" and everything in between there was never really any more recoil than the larger carbines in the same caliber.

I have a video on my phone of me shooting a 7.5" AR pistol that has a "pistol length" gas system. Doesn't jump or buck at all. The gun stays flat as brass flies out of the ejection port
View All Quotes

the discussion is over the difference between a spec .070 port and DD .080 port, and someone who has or shot both saying it was noticeable. Nobody ever said they "kick so hard", I have 2 SBRs and 3 different uppers(LMT 12" piston, 416(sold it) and 10.3 DD), all 3 have had noticeably different recoil impulse with the same spring/buffer. It's just a conversation. take it for what it is. I feel that the DD barrel is great for everything, but if you plan on feeding it a steady diet of 855 through a suppressor a smaller port might be more suitable, or do what I and others do and throw a +10% spring and H2 or H3 buffer in it. I like tweaking on my guns to see what different things will do, all in a effort to get it to perform the way I want.
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 10:40:01 PM EDT
[#49]
I believe we just had an exhibit A of, and a victim of, the Dave Royer Internet Rule on this thread on this page.

I have never shot a DD 10.3, but I have shot many guns, including those in video games.  They all shoot flat.  Therefore DD 10.3 must be GTG!

Have a great weekend guys.  

Link Posted: 5/16/2014 11:16:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Thanks guys. DD barrel ordered. My build will be all Colt with the exception of the DD barrel.
View Quote

I did this ^. Cost was of no concern. DD barrel exceeded expectations; you won't regret it.
Page / 1565
Mk 18 / CQBR (Page 43 of 1565)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top