BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 127
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 11:23:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: stoner01] [#1]

I tried something similar on this build. I didnt like the LOP on it and switched back to a magpul sl stock
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 2:04:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Trying to decide between the Odinworks BCG:
https://www.odinworks.com/product-p/pk-os-abs-lite-223-bcg-lm.htm

And this BCG.
https://faxonfirearms.com/faxon-5-56-gunner-lightweight-9310-bolt-carrier-complete-nitride/

RBA has quite a few options, but they are all out of stock.

I have a few months to decide, but eventually my full-auto BCG is going to move to a new rifle.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 12:25:41 PM EDT
[#3]
No archive!
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 2:38:15 PM EDT
[#4]
The polymer buffer tube has returned!  At a much higher price than previously:

https://plumcrazyfirearms.com/product/et-arms-carbon-fiber-infused-polymer-mil-spec-buffer-tube-ambi-plate-castle-nut
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 1:01:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Do you guys know if anyone offers a pencil profile for faux dissipator?
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 1:34:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TobyLazur:  Do you guys know if anyone offers a pencil profile for faux dissipator?
View Quote

These guys will make whatever you want from a bbl blank & a bbl extension:

https://tp555.com/
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 7:06:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Attachment Attached File

i’ve since added optics. one T-1 in 1.93 Reptilia mount and the other Holosun 403B in Reptilia mount.
both under 6lbs.
16” pencil barrel on each with .625 SA adjustable gas blocks.
i could definitely go lighter but i’ve lost the drive to spend beacoups of dollas chasing ounces.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 7:19:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Now that I'm getting closer to humping the thing I'm reconsidering my bias against 14.5" & similar P&Ws.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 5:51:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Has anyone tried Driven Arms Co's Ultralight Compact Grip?

Found this lightweight grip from a youtube video, it's the Ultralight Compact Grip from Driven Arms Co.

My usual go to grip for lightweight builds is always the Hogue 15 degree grip. At 1.5 oz and <$20, it's cheap and lightweight, which most time is impossible to have both in lightweight builds. This one claims to be 1.87 oz with hardware. Mil-spec grip screw is about 0.3 oz, so that means the grip itself is very close to Hogue's weight. The price point is also not too bad compare to other Hogue competitors which usually are carbon fiber or custom 3D printed grips. Has anyone tried it? Any opinion? I wonder if the weight claim is accurate or not.

Link Posted: 2/12/2024 4:09:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Based on the pics I can't imagine that would be lighter than the Hogue. If it is, it's not by much.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 11:19:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Ordered the Odinworks  Bolt Carrier Group (BCG) with adjustable buffer.

The bolt itself is made of steel, and thus is ONLY 2.5oz lighter. I am hoping to save at least 1.5 oz on the buffer setup, thereby bringing me really close to 5.5 lbs.

This rifle would be a lot lighter if I had a different muzzle device on it, and cut down the barrel. Not sure if just using a different barrel / gas block would be better.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 10:31:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By djkest:
Ordered the Odinworks  Bolt Carrier Group (BCG) with adjustable buffer.

The bolt itself is made of steel, and thus is ONLY 2.5oz lighter. I am hoping to save at least 1.5 oz on the buffer setup, thereby bringing me really close to 5.5 lbs.

This rifle would be a lot lighter if I had a different muzzle device on it, and cut down the barrel. Not sure if just using a different barrel / gas block would be better.
View Quote

I wish I could cut down the buffer weight & muzzle device weight on my current light(er) build, but it will be run with a can & it needs to be reliable. I guess it doesn't matter anyway because the can weights almost 1 lb (SF SOCOM MINI2)
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 6:36:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: djkest] [#13]
Updates to OP:

+Added Fostec rails

-Removed Midwest Industries rails that are discontinued

+Added Midwest Industries Ultra Lightweight rails

-Removed BCM rails that did not include barrel nuts (everyone needs a nut)

Does anyone have pics  / information on the Fostec barrel nuts? Even their own website doesn't mention them, but they must be very light.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 2:30:48 AM EDT
[#14]
So I received my Odinworks Low Mass BCG and adjustable buffer.

The BCG is fantastic. Fit and finish is a 10/10.  It weighed in at exactly 9.0 ounces (saving 2.46 oz over my full-auto carrier).

The adjustable buffer is interesting. It comes with both allen wrenches needed. I ended up using 2 Aluminum and 1 Stainless Steel. That weighed 2.4 ounces.  My old one was 3.0 ounces (but no function test).

SO, I ended up saving 3.06 ounces for $245 ish with tax and shipping.

My rifle is down to 5 lbs 10 oz... it is apparent the muzzle brake / barrel are very heavy.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 12:36:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: djkest] [#15]
Updated OP:

Updated recommended build
Updated "last revised" date
-Removed MAG receivers
+Added V7 titanium castle nut and endplate and updated those sections

I don't think VooDoo Innovations makes barrels anymore, from what I can tell.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 11:52:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Maybe I missed it, but why are you removing discontinued parts?  The retro builders are all about discontinued parts.  A note or a highlight color to designate out of production would be sufficient, allowing folks to hunt for them on the EE.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:04:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: djkest] [#17]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
Maybe I missed it, but why are you removing discontinued parts?  The retro builders are all about discontinued parts.  A note or a highlight color to designate out of production would be sufficient, allowing folks to hunt for them on the EE.
View Quote

Good point. I'll stop removing discontinued stuff.

+Added some exquisite V7 options for free-floating rails. They are light and they are EXPENSIVE.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:16:36 PM EDT
[#18]

+Added some exquisite V7 options for free-floating rails. They are light and they are EXPENSIVE.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:  Maybe I missed it, but why are you removing discontinued parts?  The retro builders are all about discontinued parts.  A note or a highlight color to designate out of production would be sufficient, allowing folks to hunt for them on the EE.

You are a saint for maintaining that spreadsheet.  You should get an industry award.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 3:50:32 PM EDT
[#19]

You are a saint for maintaining that spreadsheet.  You should get an industry award.
View Quote

Thank you but the truth is, I have a lot of help. I get share requests often.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 11:13:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: djkest] [#20]
I am building a new lightweight upper, using some of my old parts. The goal is weight savings (duh?). Here's what I've planned so far:

Faxon 14.5" Pencil, 5.56 NATO, Mid-Length Barrel 18.4 oz
Aero Precision adjustable 0.625" gas block             1.4 oz
Wolfpack Armory Night Howler muzzle device         1.8 oz
Fostec 10" or 13" Handguard                                5.4 oz
V7 Lightweight charging handle                             1.1 oz

Old parts:
Aero precision forged upper (no FA)
V7 Aluminum dust cover
Odinworks LOW Mass 223 Black Nitride Bolt Carrier Group 9.0
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 3:12:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 1:10:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: yrs] [#22]
V7 Lightweight charging handle                             1.1 oz
View Quote

For lightweight charging handle, I use Breek Arms Warhammer. I got the original version for my first lightweight build. It’s 7075-T6 Al, ambi, and weighs less than 1 oz (0.95 oz on my kitchen scale). It’s also cheaper than V7. I was very happy with the product.

Now they have a 2nd generation, Mod 2. I just got one for a new build, it comes in at 1 oz even. The Mod 2 have two versions, regular and micro. Micro means shorter latch handles on both sides, which is what I got. I imagine the regular Mod 2 maybe a tad heavier.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 12:26:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Bolt carrier mass, momentum, & velocity math:

Bolt Carrier Mass - A Nerdy Theoretical Discussion
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 1:44:41 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

I would believe that the receiver extension / buffer tube is a weak point on MOST AR platforms. Still, something to consider when making a lightweight build, cutting weight can have consequences.

We put 60 rounds of 62 grain through my lightweight AR with the light BC and reduced mass buffer. We did have one malfunction that was a FTF... probably means bolt speed was too high.

It probably needs to be torture tested with 55 grain.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 12:55:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Anyone have experience with FMK polymer lowers? They look pretty solid and do save some weight. I will add them to the list. I think my biggest concern would be the buffer tube to LR interface.

They are also really cheap, so if they suck it's not a huge loss.

4.3 Oz ....
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 7:41:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By djkest:  Anyone have experience with FMK polymer lowers? They look pretty solid and do save some weight. I will add them to the list. I think my biggest concern would be the buffer tube to LR interface.

They are also really cheap, so if they suck it's not a huge loss.

4.3 Oz ....
View Quote

Have an Unbranded AR polymer lower that I just put on the books to sell.  Paired it with a Vism thumbhole stock, which negates some of the weight savings but helps to reinforce the critical juncture of the buffer tube boss, buffer retaining pin hole, & the rear take-down pin holes.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 11:04:56 PM EDT
[#27]
What is the correct size tap & grub screw for the rear takedown pin spring channel?  I am perhaps stupidly wanting to delete the rear lock plate, but can always add one later.

There's several things I'm experimenting w/ on this Fold AR build; hopefully I'll be able to turn down the barrel as it's way too chonky.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 4:13:18 PM EDT
[#28]
What is the correct size tap & grub screw for the rear takedown pin spring channel?  I am perhaps stupidly wanting to delete the rear lock plate, but can always add one later.

There's several things I'm experimenting w/ on this Fold AR build; hopefully I'll be able to turn down the barrel as it's way too chonky.
View Quote

I have one at home in a ziplock with some set screws, if no one answers by then I’ll let you know.

Do you have a lathe, or sending the barrel out?
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 5:40:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By larrys:

I have one at home in a ziplock with some set screws, if no one answers by then I’ll let you know.

View All Quotes

We have a lathe but it's not level, so not in use.  Buddy of mine has a lathe, but not sure if it can correctly center the barrel trunnion - there's a different measurement from center on each side.  I may ask Fold AR if I can send them a featherweight barrel blank they can chamber, or I could pull my barrel and get Paladin Machining to chamber it.

The Fold AR has a proprietary barrel extension that is basically a trunnion that clamps to the proprietary upper.  So while it's mostly a stock AR, the upper, barrel extension, handguard, and gas tube are proprietary.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 7:38:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Well I googled it and it seems like 4-40 is what people have suggested but what I have is a 6-40 tap and the corresponding drill bit. I can’t read the drill size.
I may have just measured the hole and made a judgement with the 6-40, drilled and tapped. I did have to clip a few coils off the spring.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 11:41:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By larrys:  Well I googled it and it seems like 4-40 is what people have suggested but what I have is a 6-40 tap and the corresponding drill bit. I can’t read the drill size.
I may have just measured the hole and made a judgement with the 6-40, drilled and tapped. I did have to clip a few coils off the spring.
View Quote

Where did you find the grub screw?
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 6:44:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: larrys] [#32]

Where did you find the grub screw?
View Quote

Amazon.  They were 6-40x1/8

I looked at that bit with a bright light and magnifier and there is no size printed on it. It came as a set with the tap from Amazon also. I found the order from 2017 but the listing is long gone.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 12:11:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Thanks for checking!
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:46:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fadedsun] [#34]
Where can I get a normal stripped, forged AR15 upper without a forward assist?

Easy way to save a few ounces.

The Aero upper is a bit different and won't work with some rails I plan on using.

Cutting out the unnecessary FA cuts another ounce off the rifle, good call. I never thought of that.

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:56:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By fadedsun:

The Aero upper is a bit different and won't work with some rails I plan on using.

Cutting out the unnecessary FA cuts another ounce off the rifle, good call. I never thought of that.

View Quote

https://www.odinworks.com/Billet-Upper-p/upper-billet-odin-1.htm

https://www.vsevenweaponsystems.com/upper-parts/7075-enlightened-ar-15-upper-receiver

https://palmettostatearmory.com/wilson-combat-223-rem-5-56-billet-upper-receiver-for-ar-15-style-rifle-mil-spec-hardcoat-anodized-black-tr-upper-bil.html

https://www.primaryarms.com/nordic-components-nc15-extruded-stripped-upper-receiver

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:01:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Slyce:
i could definitely go lighter but i’ve lost the drive to spend beacoups of dollas chasing ounces.
View Quote

props for correct spelling of beaucoup
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:04:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By fadedsun:

View Quote

You can also Dremel it off.  I iz gunsmith, I'll do it for you.  

Or you can plug it w/ a lightweight plastic plug, or you can vent it if you're running a can & want the gas to vent downwards.

But you will be killed in the streets, Saint Kyle used his proving it's necessary.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:05:13 AM EDT
[#38]

Or you can plug it w/ a lightweight plastic plug, or you can vent it if you're running a can & want the gas to vent downwards.

But you will be killed in the streets, Saint Kyle used his proving it's necessary.
View Quote

I did that to a magnesium upper. Took off the FA, Shell deflector and port door extrusions.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:50:06 AM EDT
[#39]

I did that to a magnesium upper. Took off the FA, Shell deflector and port door extrusions.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:  You can also Dremel it off.  I iz gunsmith, I'll do it for you.  

How much weight did you lose?
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:12:01 PM EDT
[#40]

How much weight did you lose?
View Quote

Not much, lol. It went from 4.5 oz to 3.7 oz. It all adds up eventually though.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:22:55 PM EDT
[#41]
I took a standard upper and using a milling machine with the vise set at an angle made cuts all through an upper. It saved a good bit of weight, I don’t recall how much, but I did it to a beat up old Oly Arms stripped upper and it had the forward assist port on it, so it looks kind of strange. Now that I’m sure that I like it I’m going to run an Aero Precision upper through the same treatment, one minus the provision for a forward assist. I had already ran diagonal cuts through a lower, also the to the point that there’s almost no place to engrave it, but the fun is in seeing how light I can go safely. For anyone that follows or followed F1, think Collin Chapman and Lotus…make it lighter until it breaks and then back up just a little bit.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 5:22:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Paradude54:  I took a standard upper and using a milling machine with the vise set at an angle made cuts all through an upper. It saved a good bit of weight, I don’t recall how much, but I did it to a beat up old Oly Arms stripped upper and it had the forward assist port on it, so it looks kind of strange. Now that I’m sure that I like it I’m going to run an Aero Precision upper through the same treatment, one minus the provision for a forward assist. I had already ran diagonal cuts through a lower, also the to the point that there’s almost no place to engrave it, but the fun is in seeing how light I can go safely. For anyone that follows or followed F1, think Collin Chapman and Lotus…make it lighter until it breaks and then back up just a little bit.
View Quote

If you're right handed, I suggest not milling at all on the left side.  No harm in skeletonizing the right.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/785620_Blew-up-my-go-to-AR15-300-blkout.html

My late FIL converted his ARs to a right side charging handle by milling a slot aft of the the ejection port.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:05:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: larrys] [#43]
I considered doing some skeletonizing on my LW build but some of the super light offerings from manufacturers like V7 are lighter than you can get with a stock receiver and milling.
I went with the V7 lower l, believe was around 6 oz.

My upper is the magnesium one, and I did use a milling machine to rough it out and then did some hand work to finish it off.
My goal was a gun under 3 lbs with no plastic parts other than the stocks. It came in at 2 lb 15 oz but I did have one plastic part, the Taccom buffer.

[
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:39:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By larrys:  I considered doing some skeletonizing on my LW build but some of the super light offerings from manufacturers like V7 are lighter than you can get with a stock receiver and milling.
I went with the V7 lower l, believe was around 6 oz.

My upper is the magnesium one, and I did use a milling machine to rough it out and then did some hand work to finish it off.
My goal was a gun under 3 lbs with no plastic parts other than the stocks. It came in at 2 lb 15 oz but I did have one plastic part, the Taccom buffer.

[https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/0jbkri16lgng31rg7eh99/Photo-Sep-14-2019-4-06-49-PM.jpg?rlkey=yp6l8wduihehoaww7pistj117&raw=1
View Quote

Holy smokes!  Link to it in the Under 6 thread?
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:58:29 PM EDT
[#45]

Holy smokes!  Link to it in the Under 6 thread?
View Quote

I had to look for that one.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/ULTRA-light-weight-picture-thread-the-under-6-crowd-/118-625051/?page=35#i8269147
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:55:30 PM EDT
[#46]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:  Holy smokes!  Link to it in the Under 6 thread?

I had to look for that one.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/ULTRA-light-weight-picture-thread-the-under-6-crowd-/118-625051/?page=35#i8269147

Thanks!  Project Feather was a good read.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:33:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Added:

Fostec FLITE upper receiver
Fostec FLITE lower receiver
Fostec Ultra-Light Castle Nut

I wish Fostec's website was better. Half the products don't have weights listed.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 1:50:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: larrys] [#48]
Added:

Fostec FLITE upper receiver
Fostec FLITE lower receiver
Fostec Ultra-Light kit Castle Nut

I wish Fostec's website was better. Half the products don't have weights listed.
View Quote

Right!?. The lower description says “1/3 the weight of aluminum competitors”
Well an Aero lower is 8.35 oz, so does that mean it’s 2.8 oz, lol??
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 2:28:56 AM EDT
[#49]

View All Quotes

Ordered an Aero precision NO FA stripped upper and a strike industries polymer dust cover.

Ounces are saved.

https://www.odinworks.com/Billet-Upper-p/upper-billet-odin-1.htm

https://www.vsevenweaponsystems.com/upper-parts/7075-enlightened-ar-15-upper-receiver

https://palmettostatearmory.com/wilson-combat-223-rem-5-56-billet-upper-receiver-for-ar-15-style-rifle-mil-spec-hardcoat-anodized-black-tr-upper-bil.html

https://www.primaryarms.com/nordic-components-nc15-extruded-stripped-upper-receiver

Ordered the USGI style forged upper (minus the FA) from optics planet.

We will see if they actually ship
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 8:53:50 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 127
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top