Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 6/8/2012 2:42:41 PM EDT
I stop by the gunsmiths today to pickup my upper.

Last month I ordered a 14.5 inch barrel with the DynaComp brake. I dropped it off to have it welded (I don't have the tools or know how). I go to pick it up today and the flat part (I say flat part, I mean the bottom where there are no holes in the muzzle brake) was on the side.

I call him because the gunsmith wasn't in. He tells me that he will look at it, but he tighten'd it to spec. I mean I bet he did, but it is now permanently attached sideways. I left it, he was going to look at it and call me. I can see it now, "Like I said I tightened it to spec and she will shoot. It's fine".

Pissed.
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 2:46:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, that would be a problem. After he fixes it for free, never go there again.
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 2:47:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Last month I ordered a 14.5 inch barrel with the DynaComp brake. I dropped it off to have it welded (I don't have the tools or know how). I go to pick it up today and the flat part (I say flat part, I mean the bottom where there are no holes in the muzzle brake) was on the side.

I call him because the gunsmith wasn't in. He tells me that he will look at it, but he tighten'd it to spec. I mean I bet he did, but it is now permanently attached sideways. I left it, he was going to look at it and call me. I can see it now, "Like I said I tightened it to spec and she will shoot. It's fine".

Pissed.

is it mounted like this?  if not he owes you the cost of having ADCO removing and replacing it with a new one

Link Posted: 6/8/2012 2:49:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Not much of a gunsmith if he didn't even realize it needed to be timed.
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 2:51:54 PM EDT
[#4]
^^not like that, the weld spot and the *bottom* of the brake are both facing the side.

Link Posted: 6/8/2012 2:52:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Like I said, I don't have the know how, but that doesn't mean I'm clueless. I am shocked this is what I got from a "gunsmith"
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 2:53:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
^^not like that, the weld spot and the *bottom* of the brake are both facing the side.

That's not good.

Tell him you don't shoot ghetto style and make him fix it.
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 2:56:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Pissed.

No... It's NOT "tightened to spec"... It is supposed to be timed.... That is why there are crush washers, and peel washers.

If this "gunsmith" can not look at it, and understand that the holes need to be on the top, and sides, but not on the bottom...Then he has no idea what a muzzle break even does.
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 2:56:14 PM EDT
[#8]
That's retarded.  I don't know if I'd even trust him to fix it.

Link Posted: 6/8/2012 2:56:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

even the weld ??? that sucks, now you have a pin hole on the side of the barrel.  not sure if it matter but when someone else pins it properly you will either have an unsightly weld mark on the side of the barrel or you'll have to have another hole drilled on the bottom
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 2:56:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I wouldn't

OP, take some good pics and email Steve @ ADCO Firearms, get a quote of the cost to have it fixed properly and have your gunsmith pay for it.
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 3:00:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't

OP, take some good pics and email Steve @ ADCO Firearms, get a quote of the cost to have it fixed properly and have your gunsmith pay for it.

Definitely not...
Send him installation instructions from Spikes as proof of his wrong doing, and demand your money back for his work, and compensation for a new muzzle brake. (Your break is now ruined).
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 3:01:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't

Definitely not...
Send him installation instructions from Spikes as proof of his wrong doing, and demand your money back for his work, and compensation for a new muzzle brake. (Your break is now ruined).

Yeah I was about to look them up
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 3:11:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Looks like you need a set of birdman sights now.
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 3:34:21 PM EDT
[#14]
nyte-sytes

My birthday is Sunday ans I was really hoping to get to shoot.......

F
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 4:08:12 PM EDT
[#15]
I almost ran into a similar situation, except my guy at least knew to time it.  When I showed him the Dynacomp with the one hole in the bottom, he said he had never seen that before.  He said he normally places a pin sideways, kind of like the way the FSB pins are done, and welds that in.
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 4:49:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 5:18:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Looks like you need a set of birdman sights now.
http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m611/37Bullet/nyte-sytes.jpg

ha!...sorry this happened to you.
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 5:53:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Copy and paste Tom's response above, along with his signature line, to a word document, print, and take to gunsmith.

If he doesn't respond adequately, tell him you'll see him in small claims court for the cost of his labor, the ruined comp, the cost of a new barrel, new comp, and the services of somebody who knows what the fu€k they're doing to put it all together.
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 5:59:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Pissed.

This is exactly why we stress, if you take it to a gunsmith, make sure that he is a "Black Rifle Competent" gunsmith.
This guy was not.

The bad part is that if you bring it back he will further fuk it up.
If I paid by credit card I would report it to the credit card company and see if you can cancel the transaction.
If you paid cash, chalk it up as Stupid Tax and send it to a shop like ADCO.

Link Posted: 6/8/2012 6:04:28 PM EDT
[#20]
I tried a new gunsmith here in town a few weeks ago. Asked him to remove a fh and install a shorty Dynacomp on my 16" middy. It came back the same way: not indexed properly. Thank god I didn't ask him to pin it.

He insisted it could not be indexed properly with the supplied crush washer. I finally got it back indexed properly but with no washer installed.
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 6:15:49 PM EDT
[#21]
I refuse to dignify this pecker-wood with the term "Gunsmith".......what a jackass.

Sorry to hear this OP...
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 7:02:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Sorry that happened, and the truth is this "gunsmith" sucks. Honestly, I would take my loss and go to ADCO to have it fixed. I wouldn't trust this guy to touch it anymore, he will make it worse.
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 7:19:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The Dynacomp will not function as intended if the solid portion isn't on the bottom (6:00 position). If you use it the way that it is the Dynacomp is going to force the muzzle off to one side instead of down. That's not the only problem either, shooting prone would be horrible at best.

Thanks Tom. I appreciate the response.

And thanks OP for the tips, I think I will take it elsewhere. Last thing I need at this point is to have him f-up my Spikes cold hammer forged 14.5.
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 8:01:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Your 'gunsmith' is not associated with a group called Operation Parts by chance?
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 8:34:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Dynacomp will not function as intended if the solid portion isn't on the bottom (6:00 position). If you use it the way that it is the Dynacomp is going to force the muzzle off to one side instead of down. That's not the only problem either, shooting prone would be horrible at best.

And thanks OP for the tips, I think I will take it elsewhere. Last thing I need at this point is to have him f-up my Spikes cold hammer forged 14.5.

I'd take a good light and something soft but sensitive to touch (brass pick, bamboo skewer, etc) and feel around where he "welded" it to make sure he didn't punch the barrel.

If he did, he's buying you a new gun.

Either way, print off tom's post and make the guy eat the replacement cost and repay your costs.
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 8:42:42 PM EDT
[#26]

[/quote]

No... It's NOT "tightened to spec"... It is supposed to be timed.... That is why there are crush washers, and peel washers.

If this "gunsmith" can not look at it, and understand that the holes need to be on the top, and sides, but not on the bottom...Then he has no idea what a muzzle break even does.[/quote]

If a brake has to be timed and then welded, you wouldn't use crush or peel washers to do it. Either the brake or the barrel shoulder would have to be set back the proper amount for the brake to index when fully torqued. then you weld or pin it. It takes a lathe and some know how to get 'er done.

Link Posted: 6/8/2012 8:54:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 8:58:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Wow, this makes me think that if I was going to get a pin job, maybe I should send it to Adco.
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 9:07:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

If this "gunsmith" can not look at it, and understand that the holes need to be on the top, and sides, but not on the bottom...Then he has no idea what a muzzle break even does.
If a brake has to be timed and then welded, you wouldn't use crush or peel washers to do it. Either the brake or the barrel shoulder would have to be set back the proper amount for the brake to index when fully torqued. then you weld or pin it. It takes a lathe and some know how to get 'er done.

Not sure what you mean, I've never heard of anyone doing it like that.  Mine was done with a peel washer by Adco, and all of the ones I have seen have had peel or crush washers as well.
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 9:16:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

For real though. I'm new to guns and I generally don't know shit about them, but I know the holes are supposed to help stop the gun going up and down and sideways, not facilitate it. :D
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 9:55:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF are you talking about?
You install the brake, or flash hider in the normal fashion (with a crush, or peel washer)...Then you drill it...pin it...and weld the pin.
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 10:02:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Obviously, neither does the OP's 'smith.  I wouldn't trust him to fix it either.  I doubt you'll see your money back either.....maybe if you paid with a CC.  Even then, I would make it a mission to put his name out along with pictures and his explanation.
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 10:19:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd take a good light and something soft but sensitive to touch (brass pick, bamboo skewer, etc) and feel around where he "welded" it to make sure he didn't punch the barrel.

If he did, he's buying you a new gun.

Either way, print off tom's post and make the guy eat the replacement cost and repay your costs.

This

Drag him to small claims court if the tard gives you any grief.

Link Posted: 6/8/2012 10:33:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Are you the OP's "gunsmith"?
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 11:28:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I tried a new gunsmith here in town a few weeks ago. Asked him to remove a fh and install a shorty Dynacomp on my 16" middy. It came back the same way: not indexed properly. Thank god I didn't ask him to pin it.

He insisted it could not be indexed properly with the supplied crush washer. I finally got it back indexed properly but with no washer installed.

You paid somebody to screw on a muzzle device for you, Really?  
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 11:29:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's funny right there.
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 1:22:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Did you include the crush or peel washer when u dropped it off?  Also was it new?  I know you shouldn't reuse old ones.  Still you would think he would be familar with muzzle breaks.  

Quoted:

Pissed.

Link Posted: 6/9/2012 3:30:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Doesn't say much for his gunsmithing abilities or knowledge of firearms in general.  Don't feel bad, I had a local "gunsmith" shorten and crown a .22 lr match barrel for me years ago.  he cut the barrel down to 18 inches as I asked him to do but he did it with a hacksaw then added a crown by using a grinding bit on the end of a dremel tool.  
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 3:59:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You paid somebody to screw on a muzzle device for you, Really?  

Never mind.  I thought you made that comment to the O.P.  My reading comprehension has failed me.
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 4:44:00 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's funny right there.

Now this is the funniest thing I have seen in a while.
And for the issue of small claims court, seriously?
What could/should it have cost.
Lesson learned.
I don't trust somebody who calls themselves a "smith" to work on my stuff. I do it myself or consult people I know.
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 6:38:08 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Did you include the crush or peel washer when u dropped it off?  Also was it new?  I know you shouldn't reuse old ones.  Still you would think he would be familar with muzzle breaks.  

New in unopened package.

Actually my 14.5 Spikes Cold Forged was also new in package.......

I think it came with one crush washer, and that's all he used.

Hell, I watched a youtube video on how to install a comp before I bought it. That was before I chose the 14.5 and needed it welded.
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 6:47:00 AM EDT
[#42]
Got a pic?
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 7:04:05 AM EDT
[#43]
tag for outcome.  I don't understand how a gunsmith could honestly think that's how a muzzle device should look when it's mounted correctly.  AR-specific or not, a muzzle break is a pretty universal concept in regards to how they work....
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 7:08:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 7:18:20 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

I am shocked this is what I got from a "gunsmith"
After I sold all
of my AK building junk, I decided to have one last kit built "professionally" and contracted a local gunsmith. The front trunnion on the rifle he gave me was canted so far to the right in the receiver that the rifle wouldn't even go into battery.

Finding a competent gunsmith is apparently a very difficult task.

Link Posted: 6/9/2012 7:23:11 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I am shocked this is what I got from a "gunsmith"
After I sold all of my AK building junk, I decided to have one last kit built "professionally" and contracted a local gunsmith. The front trunnion on the rifle he gave me was canted so far to the right in the receiver that the rifle wouldn't even go into battery.

I'm curious ... why did you give up on building them yourself?

Link Posted: 6/9/2012 7:27:07 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess.

Maybe because in my work, I don't pretend I can do something that I can't, and If I don't know what I am doing, I find out. I tend to avoid costly mistakes this way. My mistake in this case is I assume that people adhere to the same level of professionalism and pride in their craft...
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 7:59:40 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess.

Maybe because in my work, I don't pretend I can do something that I can't, and If I don't know what I am doing, I find out. I tend to avoid costly mistakes this way. My mistake in this case is I assume that people adhere to the same level of professionalism and pride in their craft...

It's probable that you have lost the fee that you paid this guy.
It's also a foregone conclusion that you would not let him touch that weapon again.

Try posting in ADCO's industry forum and see what they say.
Maybe the ADCO boys will have mercy and offer you a good deal on the fix.
This is the shop where many of us send work because we're not sure about the guy down the street.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_2/130_ADCO_Firearms.html

Link Posted: 6/9/2012 8:56:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't

This is the proper solution. If the "Gunsmith" is too stupid to realize why your pissed he'll be too stupid to understand how to fix it correctly. Sounds like the "Sally Struthers Corespondent School" is still offering gunsmithing as a curriculum elective...
Link Posted: 6/9/2012 8:58:24 AM EDT
[#50]
What a friggin idiot, guy calls himself a gunsmith and pulls that crap! I'm so sick and tired of people that can't do there job right and then when they screw up, act like it's no big deal. I know your dealing with a local "gunsmith" and most here would never be dealing with him but you may save other local arf.com user the headache by outing him for that piss poor excuse of smithing.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top