AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 1179
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 3:22:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By secretwheelman:
Looks good.

There's one pic of a mk11 barrel/suppressor that needs to be snipped though.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lancecriminal86:
I'm tired as fuck

Here's the first cut of the

EPIC GLORIOUS MK12 PHOTO ARCHIVE OF AWESOMENESS

There are definitely holes, I know of more pics from some of the "photo shoot" looking ones, some more of Mod 1s on display on tables, and various USMC pics from some of our gents in this thread. Also missing some Mod H stuff too.

Next stop, captions! Organizing! Chronology!
Looks good.

I see it, I think it's a Mk13 barrel actually. I threw SMGLee's pics in for good measure.

As y'all read it and notice missing pics, feel free to repost them. I'd like to preserve as much as possible. When it's good and tidied up, I'm tempted to slap it on r/Firearms or somewhere with lots of coverage in hopes of finding more folks with personal pics. I'm thinking it's possible more SF folks over the years would be willing to let some more pics out if they're not active anymore. Also want to offer face cropping or isolating the rifle if needed.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 9:10:24 AM EDT
[#2]

I see it, I think it's a Mk13 barrel actually. I threw SMGLee's pics in for good measure.

As y'all read it and notice missing pics, feel free to repost them. I'd like to preserve as much as possible. When it's good and tidied up, I'm tempted to slap it on r/Firearms or somewhere with lots of coverage in hopes of finding more folks with personal pics. I'm thinking it's possible more SF folks over the years would be willing to let some more pics out if they're not active anymore. Also want to offer face cropping or isolating the rifle if needed.
View All Quotes

I'm tired as fuck

There are definitely holes, I know of more pics from some of the "photo shoot" looking ones, some more of Mod 1s on display on tables, and various USMC pics from some of our gents in this thread. Also missing some Mod H stuff too.

Looks good.

All the more reason to get rid of it.

Link Posted: 12/1/2015 10:51:36 AM EDT
[#3]
This is possibly a dumb question but bare with me.  

Newly weds, money's tight, so while I save for the correct optic, I'd like to use one I have in the time being.  Will a Trijicon 3-9x40 fit on a Mod-0 with med ARMS scope rings?  Or will the larger objective prevent it from mounting?   (I dont have the med ARMS mounts yet to try)

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 11:09:15 AM EDT
[#4]

Originally Posted By ShiftSix:

Newly weds, money's tight, so while I save for the correct optic, I'd like to use one I have in the time being.  Will a Trijicon 3-9x40 fit on a Mod-0 with med ARMS scope rings?  Or will the larger objective prevent it from mounting?   (I dont have the med ARMS mounts yet to try)

Thanks
View Quote
A 40mm mk4 will fit with 22m's.

Whats the diameter of the objective bell?

Link Posted: 12/1/2015 11:28:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ShiftSix] [#5]

View All Quotes

Thanks

1.9" or 47mm according to Trijicon's site, (since I'm at work at the moment)

Edit:  I need more coffee (apologize for the question I could have just looked up.   Brain wasnt working yet)  

Med ARMS mounts are 1.150"  the Scope's Dia. is 1.9"  so I should have .2" to spare (crossing fingers thats enough to mount the scope cap lol
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 11:33:53 AM EDT
[#6]

Edit:  I need more coffee (apologize for the question I could have just looked up.   Brain wasnt working yet)  

Med ARMS mounts are 1.150"  the Scope's Dia. is 1.9"  so I should have .2" to spare (crossing fingers thats enough to mount the scope cap lol
View All Quotes

Thanks

You should still be able use butler creeks with that setup.

Link Posted: 12/1/2015 11:49:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm tired as fuck

View Quote

Great work! I'll review it tonight when I get off and post any pics I have. I've saved just about every Mk 12 picture I could ever find to my computer and a good number of the personal ones I like from this thread.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 12:11:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By BurtSaun1049:

Great work! I'll review it tonight when I get off and post any pics I have. I've saved just about every Mk 12 picture I could ever find to my computer and a good number of the personal ones I like from this thread.
View All Quotes
I'm tired as fuck

Grood!

Added a few more from the gentlemen involved in Red Wings, a SEAL photoshoot, and a display table with a Mk12.

Still missing a few that were on tables as a small arms display.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 12:48:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Random thing I happened on while digging up higher res pics. Back on Pg. 340, user Stukas87 had posted a photo of himself with an early SPR along with a CPT Fiscus (RIP). I remember SWM or someone pointing out that he was a user here when I reposted it, but just now went back over the actual initial post and saw the context.

Even more intriguing is that he states he was using an M4A1 lower in the pic. He also expressed that the A2 was too long hence the use of an M4 lower, and that other guys were doing the same. While I'm curious if he mixed A2 for A1, I'm even more so if that's further proof from back in 2014 that M4A1 lowers were being used. The rifle is canted so there's no visible way to prove it's an M4 lower, or if it was meant that the carbine extension was swapped on request. I'd just as soon takes his word though that it is indeed an M4 lower. And with that PVS-17 on there, I guess the loss of match trigger for NV capability wouldn't be such a huge issue for that specific use.

View Quote
I'm taking his word - and I'm confident M4A1 lowers have been commonly used with Mk 12 uppers attached. IMO, the dirt bike pic we've seen in here is an example of a probable M4 lower being used in this configuration. Others will disagree, just for the sake of disagreement or the ideal of clone purity, but the practical part of my brain is saying, "why not use the M4A1 lower, with user preferred trigger upgrade and other personalized options?" It's likely.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 4:27:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I can ask Stukas if you guys want...we're not friends or anything but I have talked to him in the past. (About CQBR shit)
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 5:34:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:
I can ask Stukas if you guys want...we're not friends or anything but I have talked to him in the past. (About CQBR shit)
View Quote

I'll PM him and introduce myself, I wanted to ask if he wants me to censor his pic for wider distro.

Oh, and revisit the gallery. 179 pics, descriptions, history, etc added.
Still more to do, but please give feedback.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 5:44:00 PM EDT
[#12]
It scares me when someone cannot correctly install an aimpoint lol.

Seriously tho....SSG get on that. Attention to detail.

Nice file and thx for linking sir. I always love seeing real deal pics surface that others have :)

Link Posted: 12/1/2015 5:56:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shooterman017] [#13]
Oh, and revisit the gallery. 179 pics, descriptions, history, etc added.
Still more to do, but please give feedback.
View Quote

Fantastic. Good work thusfar.

Snagged the rear for my Mod 1 upper off the Equipment Exchange. Just gotta sit back and wait for everything to show up. Hopefully my next day off I'll be wrenching everything together.

Been waiting a long time for this. Wanted to build a Mod 1 since the middle of 2011, when I first noticed HCS-built uppers on Snipershide. I was on a mostly precision bolt-gun kick but seeing MK12 and SPR-influenced builds got my attention, and I started looking at precision-oriented gas guns. Got this crazy idea I should start a Mod 1 parts box late last year and here we are...

Who has some decent deals on 69 and/or 77gr SMK loads? (Not just necessarily BHA, already have some of that to run through this upper.)

Edit: Because picture thread.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 8:12:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm getting closer and it's starting to come together.  Some parts are just stand-in until I can get more correct stuff. Pic is next to my A4 clone.

Started from a 6920 receiver set and BCG.
Geissele SSA-E

Got in on the Ballistic Advantage black friday sale and snagged a 600m rear on the EE.  Both should be here by the end of this week.  

Have an old NF 2.5-10x24 with capped turrets and FC-2 that I can put on it. Debating between that and ordering a TS30A2 (112633). Any suggestions?

Link Posted: 12/1/2015 8:16:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By KavonTN:
I'm getting closer and it's starting to come together.  Some parts are just stand-in until I can get more correct stuff. Pic is next to my A4 clone.

<a href="http://s181.photobucket.com/user/KavonT/media/20151201_185505.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x109/KavonT/20151201_185505.jpg</a>

Started from a 6920 receiver set and BCG.
Geissele SSA-E

Got in on the Ballistic Advantage black friday sale and snagged a 600m rear on the EE.  Both should be here by the end of this week.  

Have an old NF 2.5-10x24 with capped turrets and FC-2 that I can put on it. Debating between that and ordering a TS30A2 (112633). Any suggestions?

View Quote

Nice builds bro! As of right now the progress of our builds is almost exact. I'll be sure to update with pics when all my stuff gets here.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 10:35:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dash13] [#16]

Grood!

Added a few more from the gentlemen involved in Red Wings, a SEAL photoshoot, and a display table with a Mk12.

View All Quotes
I'm tired as fuck

Grood!

Hey lancecriminal,

I really enjoyed the album you've been putting together. 2 things:
1. A small FYI, the photo of the gentleman sitting on the HUMVEE bumper with the black HK hat is Master Sergeant Tony Yost, KIA in 2005.
2. I had no idea the Noveske Recon could not be profiled to fit the Ops/AE pieces for a Mod H. I have one sitting next to me here that I need to offload now and find another solution- that shit took the wind right out of my sails when I saw that in your caption!

Thanks again for the awesome picture compilation.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 11:32:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By dash13:

Hey lancecriminal,

1. A small FYI, the photo of the gentleman sitting on the HUMVEE bumper with the black HK hat is Master Sergeant Tony Yost, KIA in 2005.
2. I had no idea the Noveske Recon could not be profiled to fit the Ops/AE pieces for a Mod H. I have one sitting next to me here that I need to offload now and find another solution- that shit took the wind right out of my sails when I saw that in your caption!

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dash13:
I'm tired as fuck

Grood!

Hey lancecriminal,

Lets be sure on the Noveske barrel, I could be wrong!

I'll update the gallery for MSGT Yost as well. I knew that unfortunately the subjects of some of these photos were indeed KIA.

It's easy to forget sometimes that there are and were men behind these rifles. I want to make sure that's never lost in all this. I've wanted more personal stories to go with these rifles and pics, but when so many of the folks in these photos are in such a secretive business, it's hard to do.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 12:57:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 8:51:17 AM EDT
[#19]
OP updated with link to photo archive at the bottom of the post. 'Preciate y'all putting that together.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 9:35:29 AM EDT
[#20]

Originally Posted By RTUtah:

OP updated with link to photo archive at the bottom of the post. 'Preciate y'all putting that together.
View Quote
If the boss man's happy; we happy.

Link Posted: 12/2/2015 9:40:31 AM EDT
[#21]
So let's say one was going to build a mk12 upper as a gift for their father and was looking for a barrel. I see ballistic advantage gets great reports, any others to steer towards? CLE has a few week delay right now.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 9:56:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dangerdan] [#22]

Originally Posted By davebl:

So let's say one was going to build a mk12 upper as a gift for their father and was looking for a barrel. I see ballistic advantage gets great reports, any others to steer towards? CLE has a few week delay right now.
View Quote

White Oak Armament

I have one in the EE
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 10:11:59 AM EDT
[#23]

View Quote
If that is an option, it'd be my choice.

For the money and accuracy we've seen out of their barrels, I wouldn't look any further.

Link Posted: 12/2/2015 11:04:26 AM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

Email Centurion Arms. The online inventory isnt always correct!
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 11:47:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By RTUtah:
View Quote

I think I'm going to go through and do a full censoring sweep as soon as I can. For the sake of some of our Arfcommers and others whose pics are in there. I know Stukas87's pic is on other forums for airsoft stuff and the like, so I'd prefer to be safe here. Even with some of the DOD pics where the DOD OKs it.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 12:22:58 PM EDT
[#26]

For the money and accuracy we've seen out of their barrels, I wouldn't look any further.

View All Quotes

Having owned a WOA (that full disclosure I haven't shot yet), I would agree if only for some of the odd profiling issues with it (especially if you want to use a Badger GB and long collar).

Playing devil's advocate to myself, Adco will make it work though if you send it to them to KG Kote anyways (what I did) so may not matter.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 12:39:56 PM EDT
[#27]

Having owned a WOA (that full disclosure I haven't shot yet), I would agree if only for some of the odd profiling issues with it (especially if you want to use a Badger GB and long collar).

Playing devil's advocate to myself, Adco will make it work though if you send it to them to KG Kote anyways (what I did) so may not matter.
View All Quotes

Care to explain what "issues" you're talking about?

FWIW - WOA barrel

Link Posted: 12/2/2015 12:45:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By dangerdan:

FWIW - WOA barrel
<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ermey/media/Guns/101_0026.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v37/ermey/Guns/101_0026.jpg</a>
View All Quotes

FWIW - WOA barrel
<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ermey/media/Guns/101_0026.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v37/ermey/Guns/101_0026.jpg</a>

OAL length and collar step have changed throughout their run.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 12:47:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dangerdan] [#29]

Originally Posted By Hunterex:

View All Quotes

FWIW - WOA barrel

OAL has changed on a lot of barrels (CLE included).

My WOA barrel is right at 2.4" from muzzle to step, as per OPS INC/AE specification.

Link Posted: 12/2/2015 12:49:38 PM EDT
[#30]

FWIW - WOA barrel

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v37/ermey/Guns/101_0026.jpg

View All Quotes

FWIW - WOA barrel

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v37/ermey/Guns/101_0026.jpg

never knew the barrel specs on that stick. I don't mind my WOA barrel.

I gotta red locktite my long collar. it finally worked loose on tension alone lol. I wanted to see if it would shoot forward and it eventually did. has anyone ever done a dimple for their collar setscrew before?

Link Posted: 12/2/2015 1:39:46 PM EDT
[#31]

Here's an example of the variances again:

Both were WOA barrels to my knowledge, assembled in a close timeframe. And my barrel that is headed to Milspec is also a bit tight for a Badger block and didn't like my long collar either.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 3:01:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BurtSaun1049] [#32]

My WOA barrel is right at 2.4" from muzzle to step, as per OPS INC/AE specification.

View All Quotes

Mine was a good deal shorter than the other Wilson bbl ADCO had profiled for me.

WOA on top

*ETA: I get 4.5 turns of AEM5 from the WOA (including the ADCO shimmed brake) and 9.5 from the ADCO-profiled Wilson bbl.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 3:04:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dangerdan] [#33]

Mine was a good deal shorter than the other Wilson bbl ADCO had profiled for me.

WOA on top

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c99/BurtSaun/20151124_175509_zps7jpfoib5.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c99/BurtSaun/Mobile%20Uploads/20151011_134146_zpswe6gup21.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c99/BurtSaun/Mobile%20Uploads/20151011_135418_zpstd7cows6.jpg

*ETA: I get 4.5 turns of AEM5 from the WOA (including the ADCO shimmed brake) and 9.5 from the ADCO-profiled Wilson bbl.
View All Quotes

WOA on top

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c99/BurtSaun/Mobile%20Uploads/20151011_134146_zpswe6gup21.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c99/BurtSaun/Mobile%20Uploads/20151011_135418_zpstd7cows6.jpg

4.5 is good

Judging by your WOA barrel, assuming your threads are .625" long, that would bring a total to 2.302" (0.098" shorter than the spec sheet...so, not bad)
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 3:07:12 PM EDT
[#34]

4.5 is good
View All Quotes

WOA on top

4.5 is good

My pile-0-shims got that Gen II up to 5 turns from under 3. I don't know which route to take on the Gen 1 here since the collar isn't flush.

It doesn't help that I'm pretty much guaranteed to strip the set screw on the collar, or I'd try my Badger long collar. Hard to tell if it's a collar or barrel issue.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 5:00:31 PM EDT
[#35]
newly completed H

Link Posted: 12/2/2015 5:13:30 PM EDT
[#36]
How many lbs have you guys been tightening your Gen III handguards. I went to 45, and it seems like I need to tighten it down more, because the holes on the PEQ rail do no line up with the screw holes in the handguard.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 5:14:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HaveBlue83] [#37]

Originally Posted By spermgewehr44:

newly completed H

http://s25.postimg.org/tbth1hi3z/Screenshot_2015_12_02_13_45_30_1.png

View Quote

absolutely stunning. new fav ar right there.

I think I need a MK4 before the can now.
-edit: I just put my Gen 3 on loosely, cock it over to the left , install the recce rail and its screw and then lock the HG ring down. that's how PRI told me to do it,

Link Posted: 12/2/2015 5:16:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By ArmyInfantryVet:
How many lbs have you guys been tightening your Gen III handguards. I went to 45, and it seems like I need to tighten it down more, because the holes on the PEQ rail do no line up with the screw holes in the handguard.
View Quote

I did whatever was needed to get it to align. Previously it was more like 60, this time I had to go above 80. One of those cheap wheeler vices with the gas tube fittment key is getting tempting.

Another thing I considered, I wish the PRI wrench had a "spy" hole for a drill bit or key, so you could apply pressure and push. That way when the key was perfectly aligned it would slide in and you could stop torquing.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 5:25:52 PM EDT
[#39]

I did whatever was needed to get it to align. Previously it was more like 60, this time I had to go above 80. One of those cheap wheeler vices with the gas tube fittment key is getting tempting.

Another thing I considered, I wish the PRI wrench had a "spy" hole for a drill bit or key, so you could apply pressure and push. That way when the key was perfectly aligned it would slide in and you could stop torquing.
View All Quotes

Thanks. I'll try going up to 60 first.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 5:31:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MILSPEC556] [#40]

View All Quotes

This is for the barrel nut? (Never installed a PRI tube but I've installed a shit ton of barrel nuts)

2 Barrel nut installs ago I went to 95 ft lbs and still didn't get it lined up. I was pissed.

Ended up cutting that nut off with a dremel, then installed new barrel nut (made by the same company) and got it aligned at 47 ft lbs.

Moral of the story, it will vary from person to person/part to part.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 6:01:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By spermgewehr44:
newly completed H

http://s25.postimg.org/tbth1hi3z/Screenshot_2015_12_02_13_45_30_1.png
View Quote

Damn sexy!
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 6:07:11 PM EDT
[#42]

All this time I thought haveblue was joking, that pic really is on page 11.

Worked out good tho, because I need to figure out the scope cap dope chart when I get my glass. What program did you use to print this out Dan? I'm computer stupid, so I have no clue. Also have no clue how I would go about sizing it correctly.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 6:23:56 PM EDT
[#43]

Worked out good tho, because I need to figure out the scope cap dope chart when I get my glass. What program did you use to print this out Dan? I'm computer stupid, so I have no clue. Also have no clue how I would go about sizing it correctly.
View All Quotes

Word
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 6:27:31 PM EDT
[#44]

Word
View All Quotes

Word

Hoping that means Microsoft Word and not "word, that pic is on page 11/go fuck yourself MILSPEC"

Thanks bro.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 8:09:41 PM EDT
[#45]

View All Quotes

I had one PRI Gen III barrel nut that was similar. Must have followed their "torque and loosen" instructions for 20+ repetitions. Gave up and used auto valve lapping compound on the barrel nut/barrel extension shoulder. Just tightened/loosened to about 20lbs a couple times and was careful not to get it in the threads. It lined up perfectly at about 45lbs after that. Must have removed a tiny amount of material.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 8:41:30 PM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes

Lmao gat dam page 11'er will getcha

I was thinking forend tightening. For the barrel nut I did as instructions said and tq'd 3 times and it aligned perfectly. I got lucky lol.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 11:03:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ankratz] [#47]
Decided to cerakote my AEM5 tonight. Should look pretty tasty. Will post pics tonight.

Edit for pics; I think it looks just dandy.

Link Posted: 12/3/2015 9:07:05 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 10:43:01 AM EDT
[#49]

This is for the barrel nut? (Never installed a PRI tube but I've installed a shit ton of barrel nuts)

2 Barrel nut installs ago I went to 95 ft lbs and still didn't get it lined up. I was pissed.

Ended up cutting that nut off with a dremel, then installed new barrel nut (made by the same company) and got it aligned at 47 ft lbs.

View All Quotes

Ugh. I took it to 100 lbs, and they still don't line up.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 12:21:01 PM EDT
[#50]
That's excessive.

You have an upright belt sander? Put the upper to it and take off a few thousandths and try it again.
Page / 1179
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top