BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 1178
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 9:35:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Ok guys, let me get y'alls opinion. About to camo my newly completed Holland........should I go rattlecan or Duracoat?
Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 9:47:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aaron580] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By exhogflyer:
Ok guys, let me get y'alls opinion. About to camo my newly completed Holland........should I go rattlecan or Duracoat?
Thanks!
View Quote
I just did a rattle job to one of my M4s for practice, it will wear and look battle worn quicker from what I see. I'll do some of my mk12 once I get better at it

For all you rattle canners out there, what is a color close to coyote brown like the lmt fde, magpul, or b5 stocks? Sand is a tad too bright for my taste and earth is a tad dark. Rustoleum camo colors were used.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 10:06:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By exhogflyer:
Thanks!
View Quote
Depends on whether or not you wanna look OAF. Last I checked, Duracoat ain't OAF.   
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 10:47:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Yall gonna get this thread locked up posting sale posts and shit.

No way do I want to miss out on owning page 1000 twice in a row in the same thread...
I rustled everyones Jimmies last time and it was glorious.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 1:20:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Sierra's cover photo of a mod1
https://www.facebook.com/SierraBullets/
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:41:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Originamlly Posted By dangerdan:
Yall gonna get this thread locked up posting sale posts and shit.

No way do I want to miss out on owning page 1000 twice in a row in the same thread...
I rustled everyones Jimmies last time and it was glorious.
View Quote
any mod locking this page for SARCASM needs to get a friggin life. 

srsly tho. lol
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:14:33 PM EDT
[#7]
807 pages?

They better not lock this thread!
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:49:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HARMS4X] [#8]
I'm about to spend 1750.00 bucks on a 2.5-10x24 scope because my buddy just left me his NF and for fuck sake the eye box isnt that bad at all.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 1:08:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By HARMS4X:
I'm about to spend 1750.00 bucks on a 2.5-10x24 scope because my buddy just left me his NF and for fuck sake the eye box isnt that bad at all.
View Quote
the clone thread said they suck so they must suck tho. 

never looked through a bad nf myself tho. 
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 2:11:57 PM EDT
[#10]
It wasn't just here several others sites had mention the tight eye box but I will try his prone today and see.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 2:20:12 PM EDT
[#11]
The eyebox is touchy but I think people make it out to be a bigger deal than it really is.

I'll often be firing 2-3 scoped guns at the range and completely forget about the x24's eyebox.

As long as you're consistent with your cheek weld/head placement on the stock, you rarely have to shift around to get a clear sight picture.

I love mine and still can't believe how bright/detailed the image is for a 24mm objective.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 2:52:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aaron580] [#12]
Only complaint I have with my x24 after using it is low light, it's darker compared too my vortex razor at 6x. 4x and above in darker conditions, forget it. Otherwise, didn't even have to adjust mine out of the box, 1 turret click and it was 100% at 100 yards with my mod 1, no switching it up now
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 6:04:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mrsaturn7085] [#13]
Originally Posted By Regulatori:
The eyebox is touchy but I think people make it out to be a bigger deal than it really is.

I'll often be firing 2-3 scoped guns at the range and completely forget about the x24's eyebox.

As long as you're consistent with your cheek weld/head placement on the stock, you rarely have to shift around to get a clear sight picture.

I love mine and still can't believe how bright/detailed the image is for a 24mm objective.
View Quote
The eye box isn't nearly as big of a deal as the 2.4 mm pupil at 10x.  This is why the scope is difficult to use in low-light or overcast weather.

I have the x24 and while I hate these issues, I doubt I'll ever sell it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 6:25:15 PM EDT
[#14]
The 24x has the appeal of it's history along with its size and weight. The biggest downfall of the optic is its low light capabilities or lack thereof. It simply sucks in low light conditions and is rendered almost unusable at anything more than 4x under those conditions. One would have to assume that this is why NF offered it in two bigger objective seizes later on. I sold my last one a few years back and while I almost picked up another one recently for a Mod 1 build I decided to spend half as much and go with the Mk4 instead.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 7:08:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HARMS4X] [#15]
Originally Posted By STXDobie:
The 24x has the appeal of it's history along with its size and weight. The biggest downfall of the optic is its low light capabilities or lack thereof. It simply sucks in low light conditions and is rendered almost unusable at anything more than 4x under those conditions. One would have to assume that this is why NF offered it in two bigger objective seizes later on. I sold my last one a few years back and while I almost picked up another one recently for a Mod 1 build I decided to spend half as much and go with the Mk4 instead.
View Quote
I have the 42 and love it. I think I may buy one down the road but now am keeping the 42. On the other hand I do have a pvs22 for lowlight.

AEM5 should be here next month so then it's paint time.

Now I have this to deal with
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 7:59:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Shitty phone pic

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 8:05:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By edwin907:
807 pages?

They better not lock this thread!
View Quote
No one's locking this thing down, Dan's just stirring the pot like a good troll does.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:45:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Davey_Sickboy:
View Quote
Isn't that your photo they borrowed?
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 12:22:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Zakk101abn:
Shitty phone pic

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/367025/IMG-9490-176228.JPG
View Quote
I don't know, bro.... looks pretty friggin' good from where I'm sitting.    
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 2:25:46 AM EDT
[#20]
What would the correct RDS (if any?) be for a Mk12Mod1?

I see the Mod0 has the Doctor in the Wilcox ring mount and I'm assuming that's what the ARMS ring rail is for; did they completely do away with a RDS for the Mod1, or what would be the correct setup(s)?
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 3:01:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wayfaerer320] [#21]
Deleted.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 3:12:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Has this been posted before? Don't recall ever seeing it, but this thread is massive so I'm willing to bet it has:

Afghanistan - 2006

Link Posted: 3/29/2017 8:29:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Bore guides came yesterday. I have to go pick them up from the post office today. The Ballistic cards are done. I also got my barrel from CLE. Seems pretty cool. I won't know how it really looks until I put the upper back together. Now all I need is a set screw fsgb to correct the late mod 0.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 9:39:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By wayfaerer320:
Has this been posted before? Don't recall ever seeing it, but this thread is massive so I'm willing to bet it has:

Afghanistan - 2006

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/sniper-team-scan-the-nearby-hills-after-three-wounded-us-army-from-picture-id71788570
View Quote
First I've seen it, I think. Scary as fuck to see these dudes aiming up so high; bad spot to be in. 
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 10:14:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Samson-Dogg:
Bore guides came yesterday. I have to go pick them up from the post office today. The Ballistic cards are done.
View Quote
Awesome news, can't wait!
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 10:40:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Lurp06x] [#26]
^^^^ my fav pic so far makes it feel real.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 11:46:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By RTUtah:
First I've seen it, I think. Scary as fuck to see these dudes aiming up so high; bad spot to be in. 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Afghanistan - 2006

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/sniper-team-scan-the-nearby-hills-after-three-wounded-us-army-from-picture-id71788570
That's what I was thinking exactly. That's not good.
Below are the bore guides. I laid one next to a tape just for reference. They are raw aluminum now but will be anodized soon. Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 11:49:52 AM EDT
[#28]
View All Quotes

Afghanistan - 2006

Yeah really.

According to the caption, they were providing cover while wounded were being evacuated.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 12:07:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Engineer5] [#29]

It's just some kind of plastic like Derlin.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 12:30:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Samson-Dogg] [#30]
Probably just me but they seem bigger than I expected. I'll try one in an upper. The inside diameter of the tip that goes into the extension is about 5.5 mm which is as close as I can read anyway. I guess just for some reason I look at it as it should fit inside a barrel which would be stupid but I think that's what makes me feel like they are too big.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 1:29:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By STXDobie:
View Quote
I can understand why NF was hesitant to keep selling the x24.  It wasn't about demand but rather ensuring their products don't have any major faults.  Sticking a 2.4 mm pupil on a scope may be a contract requirement to some, but to others it looks like an engineering oversight.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 2:35:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Engineer5] [#32]
The gangs all here!

Finally completed my Mk12 trio.  I haven't had it out yet but I think the H is going to be my favorite.

I don't even want to know how much money is in this picture.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 2:38:28 PM EDT
[#33]
I need to finish all my braceman lowers. Probably get on that after the bore guides. I think we will have everything for the cases after that.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 2:40:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Engineer5:
The gangs all here!

Finally completed my Mk12 trio.  I haven't had it out yet but I think the H is going to be my favorite.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v456/Engineer23/019_zpssnv1zb6n.jpg
View Quote
Great collection.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 2:48:34 PM EDT
[#35]
@Samson - hey brother I'm throwing this at you bc you have been all on fabbing things lately. But about our set screw delema, do you think we could have braceman take a gen 3 set screw fsb and mill the face down to where the "PRI USA" engraving is gone and then have him engrave the proper markings with the full address and then have your coatings guy re-anodize the tower? I've got a pic of the markings on the newer tower and Pri is selling set screw fsb's for the gen 3 still. If I'm gonna pull the barrel to get flats milled I want to get the proper tower installed....cause it's not gonna be fun pulling it apart again. Let me know what you think? It may be more work than it's worth but if we can get enough people maybe we can do a group buy on parts and/or labor.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 2:55:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Engineer5:
The gangs all here!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v456/Engineer23/019_zpssnv1zb6n.jpg
View Quote
Looks great
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 3:15:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Dobs013:
@Samson - hey brother I'm throwing this at you bc you have been all on fabbing things lately. But about our set screw delema, do you think we could have braceman take a gen 3 set screw fsb and mill the face down to where the "PRI USA" engraving is gone and then have him engrave the proper markings with the full address and then have your coatings guy re-anodize the tower? I've got a pic of the markings on the newer tower and Pri is selling set screw fsb's for the gen 3 still. If I'm gonna pull the barrel to get flats milled I want to get the proper tower installed....cause it's not gonna be fun pulling it apart again. Let me know what you think? It may be more work than it's worth but if we can get enough people maybe we can do a group buy on parts and/or labor.
View Quote
I don't see why not. It couldn't hurt to ask. I'm in on that for sure. So basically all that needs to be done is the face of the tower milled smooth then engraved with the proper marks? No other mods? I can email him and see what he thinks. He has done some amazing retro parts I never knew he did. Things we don't use here but I know he has done exactly what we are discussing on barrels for the retro guys.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 3:38:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dobs013] [#38]
I don't see why not. It couldn't hurt to ask. I'm in on that for sure. So basically all that needs to be done is the face of the tower milled smooth then engraved with the proper marks? No other mods? I can email him and see what he thinks. He has done some amazing retro parts I never knew he did. Things we don't use here but I know he has done exactly what we are discussing on barrels for the retro guys.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dobs013:
Yeah that's it....I don't have an accurate number on how deep the engraving is, but, it's not very deep so it shouldn't be too hard to mill away. The tower and block appear to be the same as the new set screw blocks. The only difference is the engraving. Photo is courtesy of Beast_Master_Actual...he has one on his new upper.

This is the fsb we would need to start from
http://www.precisionreflex.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=186688&CAT=10199
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 4:04:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Early SPR, LaRue mount, non illum 3.5-10, SOPMOD stock so maybe M4A1 lower or stock swap.

It's all out there, no point being clone police anymore.

Link Posted: 3/29/2017 4:06:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By deuc224:

I wiped them off and cleaned the threads also before i tried the A2, the brake looks bad but the threads look flawless, that nitride barrel is tough as hell.  I doubt adco will gimme another brake but hoping ballistic advantage makes it right.  Maybe the barrel had swollen during the nitride process?
View Quote
That is one of the advantages of the nitride process:  the barrels stay dimensionally accurate (far more so than the CL process).
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 4:47:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By lancecriminal86:
Early SPR, LaRue mount, non illum 3.5-10, SOPMOD stock so maybe M4A1 lower or stock swap.

http://www.isayeret.com/content/introduction/training/images/yahalom-2.jpg
View Quote
Yeah with most parts being that much harder to get.. I think we deserve a freebie lol
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 6:26:46 PM EDT
[#42]
The bore guides fit good. They fit a little tighter in some uppers than others. Granted they are dry and so are the uppers. I'm running them up to anodize tomorrow on my lunch break. Already set that up.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 6:50:59 PM EDT
[#43]
I've just completed my MK12 Mod0 SPR build and now of course I'm looking for some ammo. My barrel is a Ballistic Advantage 18" .223 Wylde SPR Stainless Steel Rifle Length AR 15 Barrel w/ Ops 12, Premium Series

Ballistic Advantage 18" SPR Barrel

By the way, I managed to get this Barrel for $168.00 When it was on sale during Christmas.

Based on my research it looks like 5.56mm 77gr NATO is the way to go cost wise over .223 which seems to be more expensive however since my barrel is a .223 Wylde barrel I'm thinking that  .223 match ammo is the way to go even through it cost more. So I'm putting it out there as to what should I choose as the right ammo. I'm looking at some Fiocchi 223 REM 77 GR MATCHKING HPBT or some  Federal FC262 Rifle Ammo 223 Remington/5.56 NATO 77 GR Open Tip Match (Case, 200 Total Rounds)

I know that a Wylde Chamber barrel can use both .223 and 5.56mm but for the sake of optimum accuracy and compatibility should I go with .223 or 5.56mm? What would you recommend? Oh and by the way here are some pictures of my MK12 Mod0 build.

PWS Lower reciever
Aero Precision upper reciever
Ballistic Advantage 18" .223 Wylde SPR Stainless Steel Rifle Length AR 15 Barrel w/ Ops 12, Premium Series
Precision Reflex AR15 SPR Straight Top Rail
Precision Reflex GenIII Round Free Float Forearm
Mission First Tactical BUS Stock with BACP
ops inc mk12 mod 1 threaded muzzle brake and collar
Harris Bipod
Ergo Pistol Grip
A.R.M.S. #40 Rear BUIS
PRI Flip Up Front Sight with
Nikon M223 3x12SF Scope with BDC reticle
AD-RECON Scope Mount

Link Posted: 3/29/2017 6:57:28 PM EDT
[#44]
View All Quotes

Afghanistan - 2006

Yeah watching a lot of shows on AHC, Discovery, Youtube and the like it's amazing how many FOB's in Afghanistan wind up being in valleys with mountains on all sides... Seems like someone is always shooting down them every damn day.  :( 
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 7:02:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 78Staff] [#45]
Originally Posted By lancecriminal86:

http://www.isayeret.com/content/introduction/training/images/yahalom-2.jpg
View Quote
Yeah LT104 makes it so much easier to get good ER, especially with the shorter A1 stock - I ran one for a while while sourcing some no-humps, and they work grat on this platform, and yes ITW approved :).  But the 22's just look like they belong on these builds, so once I found a set without levers I went ahead and switched over.

Before no-humps :)  

Hell, I had a 3.5-10 on there for a while too now that I think about it... Here is earlier version, with humps.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 7:03:00 PM EDT
[#46]
That looks great!
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 7:18:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Bore guides came yesterday. I have to go pick them up from the post office today. The Ballistic cards are done. I also got my barrel from CLE. Seems pretty cool. I won't know how it really looks until I put the upper back together. Now all I need is a set screw fsgb to correct the late mod 0.
View Quote
Sweet! Come on bore guide.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 7:33:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By 78Staff:

Yeah LT104 makes it so much easier to get good ER, especially with the shorter A1 stock - I ran one for a while while sourcing some no-humps, and they work grat on this platform, and yes ITW approved :).  But the 22's just look like they belong on these builds, so once I found a set without levers I went ahead and switched over.

Before no-humps :)  
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/385949/IOActMz4-97239.jpg

Hell, I had a 3.5-10 on there for a while too now that I think about it... Here is earlier version, with humps.
http://i.imgur.com/z6LoOzy.jpg
View Quote
Those look sweet ??
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 8:19:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Yeah watching a lot of shows on AHC, Discovery, Youtube and the like it's amazing how many FOB's in Afghanistan wind up being in valleys with mountains on all sides... Seems like someone is always shooting down them every damn day.  :( 
View All Quotes

Afghanistan - 2006

Man I was trying to stay in my civilian-puke lane, but fuck that position and any like it. Talk about serving guys up on a platter for Terry to pick clean. Fucking stupid.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 9:19:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By blkrmycs:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By blkrmycs:
Originally Posted By Davey_Sickboy:
Lol yea. Didn't wanna brag or anything, but Sierra loved my photo and sent me a little care package to say thank you for letting them use it on their FB and IG page.
Page / 1178
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top