Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 219
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 6:23:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: emtothedee] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Sabre675:
Sweet. Man you’ve gotten a lot of optic exposure. I’m envious.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By emtothedee:

Hopefully I’ll know soon. I switched to the 3gr from the SM1. SM1 wasn’t very good at distance. Too easy to get lost in the subtensions.
Ya I’ve tried a lot of em.

Link Posted: 1/9/2020 6:39:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Does this optic setup qualify for a recce? Hah

Link Posted: 1/9/2020 7:33:49 PM EDT
[#3]

https://i.vgy.me/l1rEIB.jpg
View Quote
Lol. Nailed it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 9:49:56 PM EDT
[#4]

https://i.vgy.me/pLOl0K.jpg
View All Quotes

Hopefully I’ll know soon. I switched to the 3gr from the SM1. SM1 wasn’t very good at distance. Too easy to get lost in the subtensions.

That's a perfect shooting spot.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 1:55:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:
View All Quotes

Had some steel hidden out there. Border patrol bastards found em and took them
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 7:05:14 AM EDT
[#6]
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 1/10/2020 10:05:03 AM EDT
[#7]

View Quote
OK, seriously - how well does that optic work? I saw it for the first time the other day and was curious about it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 6:05:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By pedorrero79:
OK, seriously - how well does that optic work? I saw it for the first time the other day and was curious about it.
View All Quotes

The setup is fast af. Putting them on FAST risers has added to the capabilities as well.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 9:40:01 AM EDT
[#9]
The setup is fast af. Putting them on FAST risers has added to the capabilities as well.
View All Quotes

I actually had to watch a video to see what it was. I’ve seen em before, but never researched. Very innovative. I’m surprised they’re not more common. .1 mil adjustments is crazy on such a small footprint too...
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 9:01:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Question for you guys running rainier ultramatch barrels. Im looking at 16" ultramatch and all I see it avalible with an intermediate gas length. Is anyone running this setup, if so how do you like it? Are you running a .75 or .80 gas port size. Lastly I was planning on running this on an Aero Precision M4E1 upper with an Atlas r-one rail, does anyone know if an intermediate length gas system will work with this? Thanks for the info guys
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 12:55:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By CSAKing:
Question for you guys running rainier ultramatch barrels. Im looking at 16" ultramatch and all I see it avalible with an intermediate gas length. Is anyone running this setup, if so how do you like it? Are you running a .75 or .80 gas port size. Lastly I was planning on running this on an Aero Precision M4E1 upper with an Atlas r-one rail, does anyone know if an intermediate length gas system will work with this? Thanks for the info guys
View Quote
.75 gas port? Mighty large.

.75 = 3/4"
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 2:35:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Finally got this up and running. It wasn't without its issues though, I didn't realize the gas block had lost a set screw, and the retaining pin was slightly misaligned so without the suppressor it was having short stroking problems and I was having to pull the CH on damn near every round. So I guess I'll be getting the PRI gas block sooner then I had planned.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 4:31:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tombo192192] [#13]
Attachment Attached File

Pretty much a budget recce build in progress. I just use what I can and upgrade as I go along.
PSA freedom upper 16 inch
Geissele SSA-E
Primary arms 3-18 acss
Larue lt-104
Magpie bipod
BCM charging handle
B5 sopmod
Anderson lower
Form 1 suppressor
Haven’t had a single problem

Then my mini recce underneath
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 4:27:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CSAKing] [#14]

First try at this Recce thing am I doing it right?

-Aero M4E1 upper and lower
-Aero Atlas-R one 15” rail
-Rainier Ultramatch Heavy 16” barrel with intermediate gas
-Badger 1.93 condition one mount
-razor 1-6
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 5:53:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 6:15:17 PM EDT
[#16]
" />
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 3:02:58 PM EDT
[#17]
I can't remember if I posted my single Recce style rifle in this thread or not... and I couldn't find it when I looked at the last 5-6 pages so here goes... I love this rifle!

Link Posted: 2/23/2020 10:35:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MidwestRookie] [#18]
Bump so I can find it later today lol
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 7:02:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MidwestRookie] [#19]
Here's the main build I've been working on finishing up for the past few months. Still need a couple things like an M-lok rail section (gonna go KAC or Arisaka low-pro) and the LaRue mount is only a placeholder for a Badger C1 1.70 mount. However, it's basically finished other than that.

This all started when I saw Geno selling an SR15 barrel and BCG in the EE so that's the heart of this build. John at Retro Arm Works did a bomb proof install of a Geissele gas block and put the entire upper together for me. Can't recommend his work enough!

Upper:
Hodge receiver
Hodge 13.5" Pinchlock rail
KAC 16" SR15 E3 barrel & BCG
KAC stubby vfg by @white-rhyno
Geissele GB
Geissele ACH
VG6 Epsilon
Burris RT-6 1-6x24 in a LaRue LT204 CAN mount.

Lower:
LMT MARS receiver
Geissele SD3G
Badger C1 ambi safety
KAC trigger guard
BAD takedown pins
PWS buffer tube and ratchet lock endplate
JP polished spring and factory SR15 carbine buffer
Govt overrun SOPMOD stock

Link Posted: 2/23/2020 7:40:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Looking to make a recce build. I have my optic already but need to buy the upper. Any suggestions on what to get? Was thinking 14.5 pinned and welded or 16in. Wanted to stay around $400 but I have no clue where to start.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 10:19:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: USNGM2] [#21]
Originally Posted By crimsonraider23:
Looking to make a recce build. I have my optic already but need to buy the upper. Any suggestions on what to get? Was thinking 14.5 pinned and welded or 16in. Wanted to stay around $400 but I have no clue where to start.
View Quote
A barrel for 400 or a complete upper? You'd be hard pressed to find a quality upper for a recce application under 400. Even the PSA 14.7" uppers are around that but sans BCG and CH. If you mean just a barrel for 400ish go to Compass Lake Engineering and pick between a Criterion, Douglas, Krieger, or Bartlein Recon barrel.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 10:28:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#22]
Originally Posted By USNGM2:
A barrel for 400 or a complete upper? You'd be hard pressed to find a quality upper for a recce application under 400. Even the PSA 14.7" uppers are around that but sans BCG and CH. If you mean just a barrel for 400ish go to Compass Lake Engineering and pick between a Criterion, Douglas, Krieger, or Bartlein Recon barrel.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By USNGM2:
Originally Posted By crimsonraider23:
Those are excellent choices.  For a true Recce barrel, make sure it is a 16” stainless match barrel with 1:8 twist and has the distinctive Recce profile.  The original NWSC Navy Seal Recce was made by Lilja and is still available today.  With the right match ammo and skill it will deliver sub 1/2 MOA groups.

It ain’t cheap.  Direct from Lilja (they don’t sell through vendors or distributors), $500 plus shipping.  You get what you pay for.

Link Posted: 2/25/2020 5:07:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Maybe consider a barrel from Bison Armory for a budget minded upper?

Cheers
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 11:42:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#24]
Originally Posted By buddyhoohaw:
Maybe consider a barrel from Bison Armory for a budget minded upper?

Cheers
View Quote
Don’t know how their 16” Recon barrel shoots, but it’s profile is all wrong.  It’s only .750” or so under the handguard rather than being stiff and heavy there.  A Recce barrel is more like very robust .950” for the first 3” then a full .850” to the gas block then a more normal .750” to the step or .725” from the gas block to the muzzle, depending on the suppressor attachment method.

The heavy under the gas block design is to make the barrel more rigid and to resist heat changing point of impact, while avoiding a heavier HBAR profile forward of the gas block where it add weight but does not improve accuracy.

It would cost little more for Bison to profile the barrel correctly.  It would add 3-4 ounces.  I realize you can’t see the part of the barrel under the rail, but for consistent, repeatable accuracy, cold or hot, it matters.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 12:05:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HaveBlue83] [#25]
Originally Posted By MS556:

Don't know how their 16" Recon barrel shoots, but it's profile is all wrong.  It's only .750" or so under the handguard rather than being stiff and heavy there.  A Recce barrel is more like very robust .950" for the first 3" then a full .850" to the gas block then a more normal .750" to the step or .725" from the gas block to the muzzle, depending on the suppressor attachment method.

The heavy under the gas block design is to make the barrel more rigid and to resist heat changing point of impact, while avoiding a heavier HBAR profile forward of the gas block where it add weight but does not improve accuracy.

It would cost little more for Bison to profile the barrel correctly.  It would add 3-4 ounces.  I realize you can't see the part of the barrel under the rail, but for consistent, repeatable accuracy, cold or hot, it matters.
View Quote
-This isnt the SEAL recce clone thread, this is the fun inspired recce style thread :)
-bisons 16" SPR is jusr fine, even for hanging an AEM5 off the end. And its $200 and 1/7. If u pay $400 for a barrel ur a rich rool. My 16" mod H woa was $200, my 16" mod H bison was $200 (pic below), and my 224v 20" bison was $275 WITH a bolt. All moa or better.  $200 barrel, $99 aero upper, $100 carpenter bcg, and a bcm 12" quad rail/mlok rail for $175.....$600 done deal, all good quality parts. Yall need to rethink things.

-its def not govt profile. This is their SPR contour:

Same barrel:

Link Posted: 2/26/2020 11:54:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#26]
Originally Posted By HaveBlue83:

-This isnt the SEAL recce clone thread, this is the fun inspired recce style thread :)
-bisons 16" SPR is jusr fine, even for hanging an AEM5 off the end. And its $200 and 1/7. If u pay $400 for a barrel ur a rich rool. My 16" mod H woa was $200, my 16" mod H bison was $200 (pic below), and my 224v 20" bison was $275 WITH a bolt. All moa or better.  $200 barrel, $99 aero upper, $100 carpenter bcg, and a bcm 12" quad rail/mlok rail for $175.....$600 done deal, all good quality parts. Yall need to rethink things.

-its def not govt profile. This is their SPR contour:

https://i.postimg.cc/tgNPDqmY/IMG-20200104-230828674-HDR.jpg

Same barrel:

https://i.postimg.cc/4NcQxPVb/IMG-20200220-154907-215.jpg
View Quote
Agree, except as to that particular barrel.

My “Recce style” build is far from clone correct.  See below.  About the only part of the build that is correct is the barrel and KAC M4QD flash hider.  All else is a modernizing of the concept.

But, for a manufacturer to call a barrel a Recce is false advertising if they don’t profile it with the distinctive heavy under the handguard contour as a part of the process.  It costs nothing to get that right whether it is a $200 barrel or $500 one.  It’s not a matter of price.  They were just lazy.

The profile is a large part of the reason the point of impact remains stable and groups don’t open up whether the shot is fired from a cold barrel or after several magazines fired rather quickly.  I’m not rich.  I did want Recce performance and was willing to save up to get it.

Link Posted: 2/29/2020 5:29:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HaveBlue83] [#27]
PRIMARY ARMS $475 1-4 ACCUPOWERS on clearance!

If u want good glass for a recce, id suggest it! MIL/MOA/BDC options in red and green, this weekend only.

My green MOA will be here thursday.....now i need a mount!
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 7:34:45 PM EDT
[#28]
16 BA Hanson Barrel
Spikes r2 comp
Mcmr13
TOOLCRAFT BCG
BCM LPK
VORTEX VIPER HS 1-4
by far my favorite setup, scope is great for my aging eyesAttachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 10:12:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NCState85] [#29]
My lightweight BCM Recce build.

Rifle was a BCM Recce 16 cut down to 14.7" with the muzzle device P&W'd.
Furniture & handguard are BCM except for the Magpul AFG.
Weapon light is a Streamlight ProTac.
Vortex Razor 1-6 in a Scalarworks LEAP mount.

Probably one of my favorite builds, and the lightweight barrel and handguard from BCM really helps to offset the weight of the LPVO, so in true recce fashion, it wouldn't be difficult to carry this for long distances.  Sorry for the potato-quality pics

Link Posted: 2/29/2020 10:31:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By NCState85:
My lightweight BCM Recce build.

Rifle was a BCM Recce 16 cut down to 14.7" with the muzzle device P&W'd.
Furniture & handguard are BCM except for the Magpul AFG.
Weapon light is a Streamlight ProTac.
Vortex Razor 1-6 in a Scalarworks LEAP mount.

Probably one of my favorite builds, and the lightweight barrel and handguard from BCM really helps to offset the weight of the LPVO, so in true recce fashion, it wouldn't be difficult to carry this for long distances.  Sorry for the potato-quality pics

https://i.imgur.com/Q0VdeG7.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Ussl0J7.jpg
View Quote
Interesting camo. Its hard to make green work. I dig it
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 10:37:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Thanks, it really does look better IRL, haha.  Pictures always make the green look brighter than it is, but I dusted it with Earth Brown to take the brightness off so it's much more subdued when my iPhone isn't taking pics reminiscent of 2006.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 10:41:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 9:37:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 9:42:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: grizzlygunner999] [#34]
Attachment Attached File
harris 9-12
Wish I went with a 15 HG mlok mount is close to gas block
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 5:42:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Finally back to RECCE!!!!.

Link Posted: 3/9/2020 12:22:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 6:48:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sabre675] [#37]
Vortex GEN3, 1-10, mil/mil. I’ve no previous experience with Vortex Optics. This particular optic checks a lot of boxes for my 7.62 MLOK MWS, otherwise I’m usually Leupy leaning. First impression... it feels very robust. Glass isn’t as good as my Leupold MK8, which is exceptional. Definitely daylight bright. Magnification at 10X doesn’t seem like a significant difference compared to my MK8 1-8, but I’ve yet to side by side compare. Eye relief is significant. It’s definitely a true 1x. Definitely daylight bright. Horus style reticle is decent, but doughnut crosshair could go imho. It’s plain looking. I hate the purple-ish, burnt bronze color. I would personally prefer uncapped turrets. The dials aren’t the most pleasurable feeling, they feel lunky compared to my MK8. The magnification dial is smooth and on point, as is the illumination system. The lens caps are shit for a $2K optic. I need to decide on the mount, possibly spend some time with it to see if it’s truly what I want....

ETA: I just got my MK8 1-8 CQBSS H27d out for side by side comparison. The Glass clarity/image clarity on the MK8 is much better. On 8 power, the images in the 1-8 actually look closer, I think this is just do to image clarity, but I prefer the Leupold quite a bit more. The Vortex is much better on 1x with illumination, to be used as a red dot, however, clarity still goes to the Leupold. Overall it still feels like a fine optic for the money and the glass is good, but not great. I’m not sure how it would compare to a nightforce ATACR 1-8, but if the nightforce has better glass, I suspect my opinion would be the same. I would personally like to see someone’s opinion of a first hand comparison between a MK6 1-6 and the Vortex GEN3 1-10 as to glass quality.

Link Posted: 3/13/2020 12:51:41 AM EDT
[#38]
What Pistol Grip is that, and who makes it? Almost looks like a custom BCM PG.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 3:55:25 PM EDT
[#39]

Something is missing....
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 11:26:35 PM EDT
[#40]
" />
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 10:46:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 11:13:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Dobs013:
https://i.imgur.com/uLq221t.jpg
View Quote
Well done, sir!
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 11:11:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 10:53:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By grizzlygunner999:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/463612/20200307_194021_jpg-1306534.JPGharris 9-12
Wish I went with a 15 HG mlok mount is close to gas block
View Quote

Very nice!

13" handguard and 16" barrel?
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 11:08:27 PM EDT
[#45]
You guys know if an MCMR will clear that noveske recon barrel?  Ohhhh asking for a friend?
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 2:55:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jayberd4] [#46]
I just ordered a BCM RECCE-16 KMR-A Carbine.  I'm as giddy as a school girl.  I can't wait for it to get here.  I'll probably pick up some Troy back up sights for it. Not sure what else I may do to it...maybe nothing. . If I can figure out how to post pictures, I’ll post a pic when I pick it up.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 4:50:31 PM EDT
[#47]
DD V7LW

Link Posted: 3/22/2020 6:11:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Brothers

Link Posted: 3/26/2020 9:41:52 PM EDT
[#49]
View Quote

Specs on these?
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 7:34:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MagnusActual] [#50]
Originally Posted By InfamousAK:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By InfamousAK:

Thril RTG

Link
Page / 219
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top