BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 7/13/2007 8:28:06 AM EDT
www.wktv.com/news/local/8484332.html

Fatal Accident in Brookfield
Video Video High
A local man, best known within the law enforcement community as a world renowned firearms instructor, is dead after a tractor trailer slammed into his car.

The accident happened in the Madison County Hamlet of West Edmeston at the intersection of Welch Road and Route 8 in the town of Brookfield.

Police say that James Cirillo of West Edmeston turned onto Route 8 and right into the path of a tractor trailer.

Cirillo died at the scene, and the driver of the big rig was taken to St. Elizabeth Medical Center in Utica for back injuries.

Authorities are continuing their investigation they're expected back at the scene later this morning for accident reconstruction.

He was 17-0 in gunfights

www.midwesttraininggroup.net/instructors.htm
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 8:52:22 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
<Asinine statement>

Uncalled for, dude.

Lighten up Francis...

He's right the guys dead show some respect. He was definitely one bad ass dude.
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 8:55:48 AM EDT
[#2]
It is a shame indeed.

Back when I used to read about him, he was packing a pair of .38s with a .357 as a BUG
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 8:57:32 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
It is a shame indeed.

Back when I used to read about him, he was packing a pair of .38s with a .357 as a BUG

I was going to say the same thing... he is known for revolvers, not autoloaders.

Regardless, it is sad to lose him.  
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 8:59:19 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...it kind of sounds like he was the dimwit.

Unfortunately all our highways are not blessed with adequate visibility and drivers who drive sane speeds going around curves....

Meaning that sometimes someone can pull out when it looks perfectly safe and be completely blindsided by some moron going entirely too fast.

You could be totally right, the article is lacking in some particulars.
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 9:00:28 AM EDT
[#5]
A real shame. RIP.
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 9:02:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 9:02:41 AM EDT
[#7]
nevermind...I'll let the prick dig his own hole.
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 9:05:43 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I was going to say the same thing... he is known for revolvers, not autoloaders.

Primarily, I believe, because when he was in the point in his career where he was getting into a gunfight every 10 minutes it was before there were a lot of high-quality reliable autoloaders on the market....

That added to the legendary "Huh?" decisions of the NYPD about issue weapons....
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 9:10:12 AM EDT
[#9]
A man whose skill I admire and whose attitude I try to emulate.

We need some Jim Cirillo stories in here for those who don't know about him.  He survived more real gunfights than Wyatt Earp.

Link Posted: 7/13/2007 9:10:13 AM EDT
[#10]
A little more info here but not much. www.uticaod.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070713/NEWS/70713003

Hell of a way for a gunfighter to go out.

RIP

Wasn't he a big fan of stakeout squads with shotguns also?
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 9:12:24 AM EDT
[#11]
I've read stories over the years about his work, and the guy was pure nails.

This is a very sad day....

HH
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 9:12:32 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Wasn't he a big fan of stakeout squads with shotguns also?

If I'd had to pull the trigger in 17 incidents I'd have a long gun permanently attached to the end of my arm.

Like a police officer I know once said:

"You know what convinced me to start pulling the rifle out whenever possible? Surviving a gunfight with a pistol."
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 9:13:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 9:13:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Some of you guys sure are quick to blame the truck driver

Link Posted: 7/13/2007 9:15:44 AM EDT
[#15]
RIP Mr. Cirillo
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 9:17:48 AM EDT
[#16]

RIP
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 9:19:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Damn.
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 9:19:43 AM EDT
[#18]
As I recall, he was asked one time as to why he'd been so successful, and he replied "because I have 13 notches on my front sight" or something like that.

HH

ETA: I believe Mas Ayoob wrote that article.
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 9:20:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Hope the truck driver back is alright.
He should get a pretty penny out of the insurance, since it sounds like it was Cirillo fault.

Since if it was the reverse way everyone would be yelling Cirillo family should be suing the truck driver.

But i do fell sorry for anyone and their family who does die.
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 9:22:04 AM EDT
[#20]
RIP
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 9:22:15 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
and he replied "because I have 13 notches on my front sight" or something like that.

I don't get how that enhances accuracy....If somebody knows, please explain.
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 9:22:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Wow, when I was a young cop I read everything I could find about Jim.  May he rest in peace.  He sure paid his dues down here on earth.
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 9:23:36 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
and he replied "because I have 13 notches on my front sight" or something like that.

I always took it to mean he concentrated on his front sight so well that he could count the notches.  YMMV
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 9:24:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Show some respect, people!

Cirillo wrote some really good stuff and contributed much to the shooting world.

His attempt at making better ammunition was also noted ["Pin Grabbers"]

You may not have liked his style of writing or his ammunition; but this is a great loss to our shrinking gun community

RIP, brother
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 9:24:59 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
nevermind...I'll let the prick dig his own hole.

There's one or more in every thread where somebody dies tragically. There are assholes on this board that like to crack jokes at innocent children dieing.
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 9:26:25 AM EDT
[#26]
His gunfight stories always amazed. Brass balls.

A sad day.

Prayers sent for Mr. Cirillo and his family.
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 9:27:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Shame to see him gone. He was one of the guy on my short list to train with. FRom what I recall he thought favorably of the M1 carbine when loaded with softpoints as a manstopper also.
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 9:27:35 AM EDT
[#28]
A tragedy, for sure.
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 9:27:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Sorry to hear it (first I've heard of the man, but sounds like a good one).

Does 17-0 mean he was never STRUCK by a bad-guy bullet? Or just not fatally.
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 9:30:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Christ... I can't fathom one man even getting INTO 17 gunfights outside of Special Forces, SEALS, Delta, or a defense contractor of some sort.

The guy was like a real-life John McClane.
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 9:32:33 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
0-1 in Big Rig Fights...

VanekSF1

1-1 in cruel uncalled for bullshit.
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 9:32:49 AM EDT
[#32]
A cop back when a cop was allowed to do his job with minimal political interference. The shotgun squads for example.

He's leaving a big void in the community.
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 9:34:55 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I always took it to mean he concentrated on his front sight so well that he could count the notches.  YMMV

That's exactly what he meant according to Mas' article.

HH
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 9:35:04 AM EDT
[#34]
People always bitch about the lack of morals in America. Then a thread about the death of hero gets shit on.

This guy was a truly dedicated crime fighter. Even in his retirement remained dedicated to saving lives through training. Yet all we can do is crack jokes and get into a pissing match over who's "fault" the accident was.
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 9:35:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Wow, thats only about 12 miles from my folks house.
I am actualy going to east edmonston on sunday.
I will say a prayer.

ETA: was he a member here?
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 9:36:02 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Some of you guys sure are quick to blame the truck driver

Nobody should be blaming anybody at this point. It was an accident and not to sound like Markm, but these things do happen.
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 9:36:53 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I don't recall if he was ever wounded or not, but I do remember that he went into a couple of those gunfights armed with a .38 snubby and roundnose ammo.
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 9:37:44 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

google his name and shootout or gunfight for some exciting reads

my favorite story is the store that kept getting robbed so they set up a stake-out...They didn't have to wait long for the bastards to come back!

One bad guy was shot in the face with a shotgun slug [Nelson Ha Ha!], it blew his jaw and teeth off and killed the second bad guy with slug and tooth frags; causing the third member of the crew to freak out and try to flee..He got caught  

Cirillo +1

armed robbers=
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 9:38:44 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
0-1 in Big Rig Fights...

VanekSF1

1-1 in cruel uncalled for bullshit.

Okay... it was a piss poor joke at his 17-0 record. Unfortunately, good people die everyday and the world is less without them.
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 9:40:13 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't recall if he was ever wounded or not, but I do remember that he went into a couple of those gunfights armed with a .38 snubby and roundnose ammo.

Im not too familar with the guy. I know of him and that he has survived many gun fights.
There was a story in some gun magazine several years ago about a police officer who killed 2 or 3 armed robbers. The police officer ran to the back of the store/bank and shot the bad guys as they exited.
Does this sound like one of the shootings he was involved in?
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 9:41:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Damn, that sucks.  No way for someone who lived his life to die.
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 9:43:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Why don't we share some good stories that we've read about him rather than throw stones at what basically amounts to an online wake....

This type of behavior is uncalled for and is no different than those kooks who protest military deaths

share a story or stfu if you don't have anything positive to contribute to this thread
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 9:51:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Since apparently theres a lot of people that know little or nothing about him, just so you know, he wrote an excellent book that covers in detail his gunfights:

Guns, Bullets, And Gunfights: Lessons And Tales From A Modern-Day Gunfighter

Link Posted: 7/13/2007 9:53:13 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Ah. I get it now.

Darn. I thought I was on the cusp of learning some new secret hidden dim mak death dealing technique....
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 9:53:48 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

NYPD's ammo selection was teh suck until the last few years.
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 9:54:17 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Survives an insane number of gunfights only to get killed in a traffic accident...most likely because some dimwit didn't watch what they were doing....

That sucks.

"Police say that James Cirillo of West Edmeston turned onto Route 8 and right into the path of a tractor trailer."
Who's the Dimwit, you speak of??

ETA Yep I didnt read all 3 pages first. Already been posted by many before me.
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 9:54:42 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
...it kind of sounds like he was the dimwit.

Unfortunately all our highways are not blessed with adequate visibility and drivers who drive sane speeds going around curves....

Meaning that sometimes someone can pull out when it looks perfectly safe and be completely blindsided by some moron going entirely too fast.

You could be totally right, the article is lacking in some particulars.

Everyone makes mistakes from time to time.  Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't.

Wow!  That is unfortunate.  If this were a century earlier he'd be as famous as Wyatt Earp or Bat Masterson.
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 10:34:26 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
A cop back when a cop was allowed to do his job with minimal political interference. The shotgun squads for example.

He's leaving a big void in the community.

Those days are long gone bro. If anyone got into 17 gunfights today brass would shitcan you justified or not
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 10:40:25 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Those days are long gone bro. If anyone got into 17 gunfights today brass would shitcan you justified or not

Depends on the department, but sadly that is largely the case.
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 10:41:05 AM EDT
[#50]
RIP
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top