RIP Jim
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 12:11:42 PM EDT
[#3]
RIP
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 12:16:11 PM EDT
[#4]
17-0?

What is this a fucking football game?

No disrespect, but was he looking to get in gunfights, or just bad luck?

Seems a bit much as most LE officers never have to shoot anyone Bad part of town I guess

I know nothing about the man, just seems a bit odd.
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 12:16:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Such a shame.

RIP Mr. Cirillo.
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 12:18:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I used to - or still have - have one of his training videos he was selling out of a combat handguns mag.

I liked reading his stuff, too.

Wasn't he famous for the term "New York Reload?"
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 12:20:59 PM EDT
[#7]
RIP Jim
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 12:21:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 12:23:44 PM EDT
[#9]
A brief review of his book Guns, Bullets, and Gunfights -- please take a moment to read this

During Jim Cirillo's years with the legendary New York City Police Stakeout Unit (strangely enough, everyone I've ever seen or heard refer to this unit, in print or person, calls it the "Stakeout Squad" - except Jim Cirillo who tells me it was actually called the "Stakeout Unit") he participated in many of the most harrowing of its 252 armed encounters. Later, Cirillo spent more years as a firearms instructor at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center (FLETC). Since retiring from law enforcement, Cirillo has conducted periodic firearms training courses on an itinerant basis. I feel privileged to be a graduate (with a 100 percent "survival rating") from Jim's Close Quarter/Tactical Handgun Course. Cirillo has also penned numerous articles for gun magazines. Much of the content of Guns, Bullets, and Gunfights was first published as magazine articles.

Subtitled "Tales and Lessons from a Modern-Day Gunfighter" this book includes chapters covering all of Jim Cirillo's many areas of firearms expertise. Cirillo is one of the few men in the modern era with a depth of experience sufficient to have a legitimate claim to the title "master gunfighter" so his thoughts are of significant interest to anyone who owns and/or regularly carries a gun for self-defense.

"Part One: Guns" includes two chapters, "Averting the Unintentional Shot" and "Hybrid Weapons" addressing, respectively, how to safely practice with and store guns in the home, and Cirillo's experiments over the years customizing a variety of handguns in search of maximum performance.

"Part Two: Bullets" includes "The Two Primary Functions of Handgun Bullets" and "Are Hollowpoints the Way to Go for Stopping Power?" It's interesting to note that the opinions of this master gunfighter, who's "been there and done that" more times than most people have shot gelatin blocks, is quite at odds with conventional wisdom on these topics.

"Part Three: Gunfights" includes five chapters, stories of Cirillo's days in the NYCPD Stakeout Unit and the lessons he learned from those experiences:

"Selection of the Gunfighter" details the qualities Cirillo believes are most essential both to survive a gunfight and deal with the emotional aftermath, based on his personal exposure to many people who both could and couldn't hack it in the Stakeout Unit. It's fascinating reading.

"Shooting for Score or Survival?" critiques the forms of "combat pistol" competition, compared to what's needed to survive a gunfight.

"Firearms Training and the Gunfight" gets into Cirillo's recommended training procedures, including his Weapon Silhouette and Geometric Point aiming methods. This chapter is also noteworthy in that it recounts the story of Cirillo's most famous gunfight, in which he was forced to shoot three armed robbers...only two hours into his very first stakeout!

In "Stress of the Gunfight" we get a few more facts about this incident (based on which Jeff Cooper created an IPSC course of fire called "The Cirillo Drill"), as well as Jim's ideas on how mental perceptions change and are affected by the stress of a life-or-death defensive emergency. This is firsthand experience talking here.

"The Bizarre NYCPD Stakeout Squad" was for me the most enjoyable part of the book, in which Cirillo recounts many hilarious stories of his fellow gunfighters from the Stakeout Unit. I've been fortunate enough to be there when Cirillo's told many of these tales in person, and believe me, you do lose a bit of the effect when you're not hearing them in Cirillo's heavy New Yawk accent. Still, even in written form some of these stories are so funny they verge on slapstick. I defy anyone to read about the gunfight titled "Marty and Benny" without smiling - maybe even breaking into hysterical laughter.

Finally, in the book's postscript, Cirillo reduces down to a set of rules his advice on preparing for a deadly encounter involving firearms. This is all really good stuff, gang.
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 12:24:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
17-0?

Seems a bit much as most LE officers never have to shoot anyone Bad part of town I guess

My advice?

do some research and then edit your post

strange to say, "no disrespect" and then make a statement like you did.
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 12:28:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 12:29:14 PM EDT
[#12]
He was called....

He served....

He is counted....

He will be missed....

James Cirillo is 10-8, 10-42  
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 12:30:21 PM EDT
[#13]

RIP, Mr. Cirillo
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 12:36:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Cirillo was working a very high risk unit back in The Good Ol' Days of NYC law enforcement, when crime was high and while the citizens of NYC didn't collectively piss their pants every time a police officer shot someone.

It *is* odd in modern times to find a LE officer who was in that many gunfights. (Heck, even guys from the REALLY old days like Wild Bill Hickock didn't end up in that many gunfights...) I know some pretty hardcore guys but the maximum I've ever personally seen with a police officer was 3 bona-fide gunfights. (The term "gunfight" meaning situation where an officer had to fire his weapon in defense of his life or the life of another)

The same guys have come very close to pulling the trigger on a number of other occasions, but thankfully didn't have to.

Cirillo just seemed to have a knack for running into people who wanted to shoot him.

Link Posted: 7/13/2007 12:36:32 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Survives an insane number of gunfights only to get killed in a traffic accident...most likely because some dimwit didn't watch what they were doing....

That sucks.

This is whay happens when you PULL OUT IN FRONT of a truck ........read slower .

The stake out squad , bringing it to the badguys .

RIP JC .
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 12:39:29 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
0-1 in Big Rig Fights...

I dont see why everybody is getting butt hurt over this.
Some people in this thread made light of Steve Erwin when he died.
I guess one is somehow better than the other...
Funny how standards change around here.
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 12:39:39 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
This is whay happens when you PULl OUT IN FRONT of a truck ........read slower .

....and as I stated earlier it often is not as simple as "pulling out in front of a truck"....
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 12:39:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Sad to read this.  Another of the good guys is gone.

RIP Officer Cirillo.
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 12:41:34 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Yes.

One is most certainly better than the other.

1. Veteran of the NYPD, survivor of a staggering number of gunfights with the sort of people who murdered the innocent, firearms trainer, and LE instructor

vs.

2. A guy who did irresponsible things with dangerous wild animals.

Big difference.
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 12:42:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 12:43:19 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
0-1 in Big Rig Fights...

I dont see why everybody is getting butt hurt over this.
Funny how standards change around here.

go to another thread and piss

it was stated early on the purpose of this thread
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 12:43:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Good cop and an even better firearms trainer. He taught sound tactics. He was getting up there in age, RIP
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 12:46:56 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
<Asinine statement>

Uncalled for, dude.

But, it is an appropriate lesson for all the idiots that do stupid shit in front of a truck.  In the last 10 miles, we have been cut off 3 times here in AL
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 12:50:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Very sad.
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 12:50:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Terrible loss.
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 1:02:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Thank You for answering my questions, sounds like a hell of a guy, too bad

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cirillo was working a very high risk unit back in The Good Ol' Days of NYC law enforcement, when crime was high and while the citizens of NYC didn't collectively piss their pants every time a police officer shot someone.

It *is* odd in modern times to find a LE officer who was in that many gunfights. (Heck, even guys from the REALLY old days like Wild Bill Hickock didn't end up in that many gunfights...) I know some pretty hardcore guys but the maximum I've ever personally seen with a police officer was 3 bona-fide gunfights. (The term "gunfight" meaning situation where an officer had to fire his weapon in defense of his life or the life of another)

The same guys have come very close to pulling the trigger on a number of other occasions, but thankfully didn't have to.

Cirillo just seemed to have a knack for running into people who wanted to shoot him.

Link Posted: 7/13/2007 1:03:53 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Christ... I can't fathom one man even getting INTO 17 gunfights outside of Special Forces, SEALS, Delta, or a defense contractor of some sort.

The guy was like a real-life John McClane.

These days a female National Guard Soldier pulling security duty with an M249 in the back of a truck rolling down an MSR in Iraq could rack up 17 gunfights, but point taken that that's a lot for a cop.
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 1:10:55 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
0-1 in Big Rig Fights...

VanekSF1

1-1 in cruel uncalled for bullshit.

the funny thing is... most LEO's would give a smile to this.  They/we have to, it helps them get through the day/week/month/years.  Otherwise, stuff like Jim's death would eventually make all LEO's, EMT's, Fire Fighters. etc go crazy.  One can only see so many dead people (including dead children) before they ahve to try and nmake light of things.
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 1:21:09 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
17-0?

Clearly.
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 1:24:33 PM EDT
[#30]
He was part of a Stakeout Squad that holed up in liquor stores and such that were high-probability targets of armed robbers. Their job was to deal with the armed robbers.  Sometimes the armed robbers did not want to be arrested.  

He and his teammates, being highly motivated to survive gun fights, looked real hard at what rounds did what, and designed their own bullets in hopes of better performance.

Link Posted: 7/13/2007 1:33:27 PM EDT
[#31]
We are diminished.
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 1:39:54 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Wasn't he a big fan of stakeout squads with shotguns also?

From what I've read he was a fan of the M1 carbine also (slicked up to feed hp or softnose ammo).  IIRC it worked even better than the shotgun for dropping badguys RFN.
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 1:48:05 PM EDT
[#33]
WTF is wrong with some of these asshats in this thread? Comapring this death to steve Irwins ............WOW. Fucking tards really come pout to play today.

Yeah! lets make jokes about a famed public servant YAY! Feel real special now dont you?

You punks make me wanna puke

R.I.P. J.C.
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 1:53:58 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Christ... I can't fathom one man even getting INTO 17 gunfights outside of Special Forces, SEALS, Delta, or a defense contractor of some sort.

The guy was like a real-life John McClane.

These days a female National Guard Soldier pulling security duty with an M249 in the back of a truck rolling down an MSR in Iraq could rack up 17 gunfights, but point taken that that's a lot for a cop.

Funny waht happens when you are assigned to "stake out" areas that have repeated armed robberies. Sometimes you run into armed robbers.

There's a Dirty Harry movie where Harry is put "undercover" in a place they think will be robbed. He pretends he's a cashier, and ends up in a gun fight with multiple robbers. Wanna guess who that is based on?

It also goes to show routine, mundane tasks will kill too.
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 2:06:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Damn shame. I have not read an article by Mr. Cirillo in twenty years. I do know about the awesome number of shootouts he was involved in, but does anyone know how many bad guys he killed?

And by the way, I didn't give a shit about Steve Irwin. I always thought he was a fool.
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 2:08:09 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
There's a Dirty Harry movie where Harry is put "undercover" in a place they think will be robbed. He pretends he's a cashier, and ends up in a gun fight with multiple robbers. Wanna guess who that is based on?

BLASPHEMY!

Harry was not posing as a cashier.

Harry's partner was posing as the cashier. Harry was behind a 2 way mirror lining up the sights on that big beautiful S&W 29 on the bad guy with the double barrel shotgun.

"I said on your knees!!"

BLAM!!!
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 2:30:19 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:
A cop back when a cop was allowed to do his job with minimal political interference. The shotgun squads for example.

He's leaving a big void in the community.

Those days are long gone bro. If anyone got into 17 gunfights today brass would shitcan you justified or not

How many have you met have more than one?
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 2:37:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Damn, what a loss.  Rest in peace, brother.  
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 2:44:11 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
<Asinine statement>

Uncalled for, dude.

+ 1000 - This guy is a legend - often compared with Wyatt Earp etc.  A little respect.
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 2:53:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Sad news indeed.  Jim was a one of a kind and a pioneer, R.I.P....
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 2:54:00 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BLASPHEMY!

Harry was not posing as a cashier.

Harry's partner was posing as the cashier. Harry was behind a 2 way mirror lining up the sights on that big beautiful S&W 29 on the bad guy with the double barrel shotgun.

"I said on your knees!!"

BLAM!!!

Which movie was it?

I think the "cashier" was the owner of the store. Harry was supoosed to be "the help", in case he was visible when the robbers came in.

Yes, your description of the shoot-out is what I remember.
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 2:59:13 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
17-0?

you should be ashamed or both your lack of knowledge about a great man and total lack of class by disrespecting a fallen hero.  

Link Posted: 7/13/2007 3:01:16 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
17-0?

He was involved in pretty intense work with NYPD - including drug (undercover) and the stakeout squads, from what I have heard / read - he was just doing his job.
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 3:01:29 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
WTF is wrong with some of these asshats in this thread? Comapring this death to steve Irwins ............WOW. Fucking tards really come pout to play today.

Yeah! lets make jokes about a famed public servant YAY! Feel real special now dont you?

You punks make me wanna puke

R.I.P. J.C.

+1 Some serious AH around here.
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 3:03:30 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:
17-0?

My advice?

do some research and then edit your post

strange to say, "no disrespect" and then make a statement like you did.

I second that Ded.
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 3:03:49 PM EDT
[#46]
... Damn

... I have his book, autographed by him. Did some engineering work on a new sight he had designed.

Link Posted: 7/13/2007 3:06:16 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
<Asinine statement>

Uncalled for, dude.

But, it is an appropriate lesson for all the idiots that do stupid shit in front of a truck.  In the last 10 miles, we have been cut off 3 times here in AL

I read in anothe article that he was doing a U turn or something and that the truck came around a bend - i.e. was not visible.

Why are there so many folks here that want to piss on a good man's grave.  WTF?
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 4:02:05 PM EDT
[#48]
I remember many years ago reading one of his articles.  I was truly fascinated by it and never forgot it.  he talked about the .38 cal. round nosed bullets, ricocheting off the top of the b.g. skull.  when shooting over a set of shelves into the next isle of the store.  that is when he came up with the "pin grabber" bullets.  he said they worked much better.  I'm truly sad to hear about his passing, and send prayers to his family.
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 4:19:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Prayer for the family and his brothers in arms.
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 4:56:55 PM EDT
[#50]
A truly sad day and the loss of a modern LE legend in the mold of Wyatt Earp.  A true cop's hero and a true administrator's nightmare.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top