BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:17:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By FunnyStar:
Originally Posted By FMJshooter:
"Front suspension" could mean a lot of things.
View Quote

Agreed, I had a 99 Crown Vic, Lower ball joints, shocks, etc. I bet he needed both sides done. Girl at work was quoted over $1K for front brakes. I was stunned at her estimates. I'm so glad I can do a lot of that stuff myself.
View Quote

I have two late 90's panthers as well as an 03+ after they changed the front end to rack and pinion/struts. Both are some of the most stupid easy cars to work on. Gutted both front ends and did full steering/suspension replacements. So much space to work with and parts are cheap. Tell your friend to watch some YouTube videos and get some loaner tools from the auto parts store.

Originally Posted By TheOtherDave:
I told my buddy I would change his alternator if he needed one or he may have asked for that too..
View Quote

5-10 minute job on the panthers.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:35:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By UTex86:
I had an ignition coil fail on my truck. I needed it fixed right fuckin now due to work so I took it to the dealership.

$450

A couple weeks later I bought all 8 ignition coils, spark plugs, and plug wires and replaced them all myself in an afternoon.

$390.
View Quote

Yep.  When I did spark plugs at 140k (first change) I proactively changed all my coil packs with new OEM.  But I kept the originals, just in case.  About 3 years later a coil pack failed.  Grabbed one of my 8 spares.  

Zero dollars.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:47:08 PM EDT
[#3]
You can always walk
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:32:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By fxntime:

Are you both SURE they were actual Akebono parts and not chinee knockoffs?
View Quote

No, I'm not sure.  I didn't watch them being made by Japanese catgirls or whatever.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:49:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By jackthom8:
wait until you see body/paint prices. boomers are the worst at this and still keep talking about stupid fucking earl schwab
View Quote

Its Earl Schieb.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:55:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I priced fishing guides at a lake close to me. A 5 hour outing for 2 people is $400 minimum. It was about $175 in 2020.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:12:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: S58DRIVER] [#7]
Anyone want to guess on a brake job cost to replace  my Carbon Ceramic's BBK ?
The Carbon BBK  optioned at $9400 ..when new ..
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 3:40:34 AM EDT
[#8]
I still wrench on all my vehicles and a few friends cars at times.  I don't know how people can afford to buy new cars and pay for all the maintenance and repairs.  

I just did 3 family vehicles last month where all got engine oil and filter change, transmission oil and filter change, air and cabin filters, and steering fluid changed out.   All fluids where full synthetic.   $400ish for all 3 vehicles, including tax and shipping.   250,000, 130,000, and 80,000 miles. Ready for a hot busy summer of driving now.

I did a rear axle seal and bearing replacement in my Silverado last month too.  Which required a differential fluid change and a new cross pin bolt after I found the original had a severe grove worn in it.  $100 in parts.

I have fixed water pumps, idler pulleys, thermostat housings, the pentastar oil filter housing, crankshaft harmonic balancer, alternators, batteries, blower motors, blend door actuators, brake pads and calipers, new brake lines, ball joints,  steering linkages, u joints, shocks and struts, leaf spring and shackle replacement, window switches, coolant line replacements, radiator flushes.... All to save money to help raise 3 kids.  We're at over a million miles on family vehicles since our oldest was born.  I've paid for only 5 repairs and 2 deer strikes the last 18 years.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:06:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Finslayer83:
Akebono for pads
View Quote

Use these across many manufacturers, great value and reliable.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:11:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By olivers_AR:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By olivers_AR:
Originally Posted By Finslayer83:
Akebono for pads

I'm at a point where ''Amazon=fraudulent counterfeit parts'' where auto replacement is involved. Hell, you can't even get a set of NGK's without having a good chance they are chinee cheapo knockoffs.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:12:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By S58DRIVER:
Anyone want to guess on a brake job cost to replace  my Carbon Ceramic's BBK ?
The Carbon BBK  optioned at $9400 ..when new ..
View Quote
Yeah...maybe not quite the option cost..but lots
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:38:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: P400] [#12]
Labor rates are the highest they have ever been. They pretty much have to be, to keep up with the overhead to keep a shop running.

Then parts are doubled or tripled in cost, because labor alone won't cut it. I'm surprised that still flies, as anyone can see the lower prices online. But the markup practice holds up.

Some shops buy better parts up front. They want to fix it once and send it away. Other shops want the cheapest shit possible, and roll the dice on playing the comeback game.

The tool and equipment purchases never end. They just go on forever.

And you get to ruin people's days. All day, every day. Because no one is ever happy to get a surprise bill of thousands of dollars to keep their primary mode of transportation running.

What a miserable business. I'm glad I got out when I did. It just keeps getting worse.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:39:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Nearby shop my friend uses told me the owner said they are cherry picking the jobs now because of so many older cars staying on the road now.  People are paying because new car prices are high as hell, interest rates are high and dealerships are still pulling the “market adjustment “ scam.  
I don’t want a new car because of the useless shit they put in them now nor do I want my car gathering my driving data and selling it.  
Unfortunately we will need to keep a newer car for the wife, so they’ll be tracking her bad habits.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top