Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:19:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: David0858] [#1]
Can you find the copperhead in this pic?

Attachment Attached File

I picked him up one night moving a sprinkler. Luckily it scared him as bad as me, all he wanted was to get away and didn't get bitey.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:20:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By VidaEterna:

I’m 2011 or so I was pulling weeds and was bitten by an adult copperhead. Never noticed him/her until it struck. I received a pretty good dose of venom in my fingers and spent the night at Erlanger Chattanooga. Three doses of CroFab ($7k a pop), and a shot of Dilaudid, and was released the next day around noon.

Right or wrong, I took the ded snek with me to the ER so they could ID it. I knew what it was. In my case, the venom induced swelling made it halfway up my arm before they decided to give me antivenin.

If they administer CroFab, you will be eating breakfast in bed, in your assigned room.

If you don’t want snakes around your home, remove mice habitat, and get outside cats. I don’t kill snakes unless they come in to my domain where they must be addressed. They serve a valuable purpose.
View Quote

If that happened to me I’d be highly prejudiced after that. If I was a thousand miles from home and saw a snake on the ground, while sitting in a car, I’d still shoot that son of a bitch from out the car window.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:22:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I found it but it took a few minutes. Damn their camo is amazing!
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:25:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I remember being a dumb kid staying the summer at my grandparents farm. I was standing by the creek bank chucking rocks when I felt something bump my foot. A copperhead was slithering into it's hole. Like a tard a grabbed the tail and tried pulling it out. Thankfully it didn't budge. My grandpa came out and saw what I was doing. He was .....less than enthused about my decision. One of the only times I ever heard him swear
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:25:54 AM EDT
[#5]

I’m 2011 or so I was pulling weeds and was bitten by an adult copperhead. Never noticed him/her until it struck. I received a pretty good dose of venom in my fingers and spent the night at Erlanger Chattanooga. Three doses of CroFab ($7k a pop), and a shot of Dilaudid, and was released the next day around noon.

Right or wrong, I took the ded snek with me to the ER so they could ID it. I knew what it was. In my case, the venom induced swelling made it halfway up my arm before they decided to give me antivenin.

If they administer CroFab, you will be eating breakfast in bed, in your assigned room.

If you don’t want snakes around your home, remove mice habitat, and get outside cats. I don’t kill snakes unless they come in to my domain where they must be addressed. They serve a valuable purpose.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SparticleBrane:

wat

I was making a point that you said you were "stung" by a copperhead.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:27:29 AM EDT
[#6]
@67Firebird
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:28:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Somewhere around here I've got some photos from a few years ago, of a dead copperhead in my garage, where it got itself caught in two mice traps.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:30:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Need4Guns:
Yesterday the babcat and now this.

Didn't see the one yesterday and can't see this one.

View Quote

PM me.  I need guys like you to join my group at the end of the world as bait lead hikers.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:32:24 AM EDT
[#9]

View Quote

Using words like "sting" and "timid" to describe venomous snakes are simply an effort to diminish hazard.

Not unlike using the word "immigrant" for illegal alien.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:33:12 AM EDT
[#10]
That really is amazing camouflage. I think that the fact that a picture is flat makes it harder to see. Real life being three dimensional, it would be easier to spot.

I've only seen one in the wild, and it was a young one sitting on a big grey rock, so it kind of stood out.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:33:18 AM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

That’s what I figured. 😎
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:34:28 AM EDT
[#12]
There's a reason I wear boots when I'm in the woods.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:36:08 AM EDT
[#13]

I'm 2011 or so I was pulling weeds and was bitten by an adult copperhead. Never noticed him/her until it struck. I received a pretty good dose of venom in my fingers and spent the night at Erlanger Chattanooga. Three doses of CroFab ($7k a pop), and a shot of Dilaudid, and was released the next day around noon.

If you don't want snakes around your home, remove mice habitat, and get outside cats. I don't kill snakes unless they come in to my domain where they must be addressed. They serve a valuable purpose.
View All Quotes

wat

I'm 2011 or so I was pulling weeds and was bitten by an adult copperhead. Never noticed him/her until it struck. I received a pretty good dose of venom in my fingers and spent the night at Erlanger Chattanooga. Three doses of CroFab ($7k a pop), and a shot of Dilaudid, and was released the next day around noon.

If you don't want snakes around your home, remove mice habitat, and get outside cats. I don't kill snakes unless they come in to my domain where they must be addressed. They serve a valuable purpose.
I haven't seen a snake around our house since at least 2016, although I did see this one near the pole barn, about 125 yards from the house, August 2022.  I have 8 (or 9) outdoor cats that call my shop their home.  

Obligatory scenic pic:

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:39:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: VidaEterna] [#14]
Originally Posted By bgenlvtex:

Using words like "sting" and "timid" to describe venomous snakes are simply an effort to diminish hazard.

View All Quotes

I was a patrol agent for 12 years before switching to another circus and never used the term immigrant in federal court or in any of my paperwork. They are aliens illegally in the country, i.e. illegal aliens. Look at 8 USC 1325.

Acting hysterical around snakes, for no real reason, is reserved for crazy women and gay guys. Lesbians act more like men in my estimation.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:40:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By The_Beaten_Weiner:

Smack dab in the middle. In an '"S" pattern ,top to bottom
View Quote

Yup. I had to put my glasses on and finally found it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:45:23 AM EDT
[#16]
There's a Bobcat too.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:49:14 AM EDT
[#17]

I was a patrol agent for 12 years before switching to another circus and never used the term immigrant in federal court or in any of my paperwork. They are aliens illegally in the country, i.e. illegal aliens. Look at 8 USC 1325.

Acting hysterical around snakes, for no real reason, is reserved for crazy women and gay guys. Lesbians act more like men in my estimation.
View All Quotes

I agree hysterics are uncalled for.

Calmly eliminate the hazard like you would putting out a small fire and move on with your life.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:57:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Took me about 5 seconds, but that's because I was looking for it.  If you hadn't have told me, it would have disappeared perfectly.

I remember at a zoo one time, there was a glass copperhead exhibit, and inside was the typical landscaping of three walls and the ground.  I looked in and thought, "huh nothing in there...wait, there's a copperhead.  Oh and there's a copperhead.  And another, and another, and omg".  Eventually I counted maybe 10-15 of them.  There were so well hidden the exhibit looked like nothing but rocks and vegetation at first, but it was full of copperheads.  Stuff of nightmares.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:01:25 AM EDT
[#19]
I really dislike those snakes.  I am color blind and cannot see them in the grass or pine needles :(.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:06:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Trick question. The snake actually took the photo.

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:07:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Neomonk21:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/168341/snake_jpg-3204306.JPG

I want to say there but I can't tell for sure
View Quote

You are incredibly close.  And as the saying goes, so close that if it were a snake it could have bit you.

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:14:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By dyezak:

PM me.  I need guys like you to join my group at the end of the world as bait lead hikers.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:41:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Cooper1:
Let your eyes zone out of focus, like you do with the weird paintings.  Then it just pops.
View Quote

This almost always works for me on a “find the” picture.

If you Reddit check out the Find the Sniper thread.

When I was taught about hunting deer an old man advised me to pay attention to horizontal things. In nature, not many things other than animals and man made things have a horizontal component.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:48:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Merlin:
I haven't seen a snake around our house since at least 2016, although I did see this one near the pole barn, about 125 yards from the house, August 2022.  I have 8 (or 9) outdoor cats that call my shop their home.  

https://i.imgur.com/OhKfTt1.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/tgyre2X.jpg?1

Obligatory scenic pic:

https://i.imgur.com/pK5LWHP.jpg

View Quote

I sure miss Tennessee, my state of birth and where most of my family is.

Go VOLS!
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:48:36 AM EDT
[#25]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Advance:

You got a little bit of it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/309598/Screenshot_2024-05-03_090341_png-3204338.JPG

Holy crap.   I was starting think this was a prank thread as I was not seeing it.   I found the bobcat in the other thread pretty quickly.   This one…wow.  I would be having a very bad day.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:50:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:57:37 AM EDT
[#27]
I always thought something in the snake family would make an excellent camo pattern, has anyone ever tried to replicate any patterns?
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:57:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Dead center.  Took me a minute.  Good camo!
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:00:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Despite being a hunter that took a couple of minutes. Poison snakes is why I am glad I live in an area that has none, at least none that I know of.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:04:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Copperheads are beautiful sneks.

If you have large rocks they like the morning sun / heat.
I have never seen a piece of tin laying on the ground that did not have a snek under it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:06:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By hoodonit00:
Between this and the bobcat I've come to the conclusion that I'm a dead man walking in the woods.
View Quote

I don't go into the woods often, but when I do I make enough noise so that most critters move on before I get to them.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:06:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Muricha] [#32]
That’s about the same image I saw when pulling weeds and got stung. I’ve always been careful where I put my hands growing up in E. Texas. If I’m grabbing items on the ground now I usually beat the ground around it pretty good before reaching. A copperhead sting is a joke compared to a cottonmouth or rattler envenomation.
View Quote

My farm is flush with copperheads. They are not aggressive.

I never heard of a ‘sting’ but a bite to my fist knuckle put me in the hospital for 5 days.
They wanted to debreed my hand and arm up to my elbow.
(stuck my hand in an old woodpile at night while enjoying the fire pit.)

When young I farm labored for an old man that lost his leg from a bite.
(Probably happened in the 30s or 40s.)
When young a local neighbor died while logging from a strike to the neck.
(He was bent over trying to get a chain under a pull log.)

I worked tobacco fields for most of the farmers in my area. We would cut the tobacco and then lean two full ‘sticks’ together to be harvested the next day. It gets mighty warm under those cut stalks. When handing them up to the guy on the wagon we would often find allot of snakes under the big green leaves.

For reference (you can imagine how many we would see).

Attachment Attached File

The majority were copperheads.
We treated them like our sharp tobacco knives. We knew they would hurt us but if we were cognizant of that they were nothing more than a scare. Part of the job if you wanted the work.

Funny story. The Electric Utility arrived with a crew one hot summer morning to clear the line right of way.
While they were gearing up I told them that brush was a particular favorite for copper heads. They laughed and said they see them all the time and were more worried about timber rattlers. I wished them a good day and went to work.
That evening I rode out to see their work. I was confused as no brush had been cut.

About a month later a helicopter showed up to spray the right of way. I can only guess the reason but I’m pretty sure it was due to copperheads.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:07:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Attachment Attached File
could just barely see him when I picked up a piece of sheet metal
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:17:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Well, I’m a dead man!
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:19:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Wow, as soon as you guys said just to the left of where I highlighted I saw it immediately.  I could not see it at first.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:23:09 AM EDT
[#36]
I've got a pic like that of the biggest rattler I've ever seen. It was about a foot or so off the trail and people were walking past it completely oblivious to how close the were. Damned thing was the size of a freaking log!
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:23:37 AM EDT
[#37]
View Quote

Somehow I got this one waaaaay faster than the bobcat photo.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:24:01 AM EDT
[#38]
I truly found it in less than 10 seconds.

Ex Fort Benning Infantry School Instructor here, if a trainee got snake bit we were in a world of shit.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:28:41 AM EDT
[#39]

Look juuuuust to the left of where you traced out
View All Quotes

I'm sooooooo glad I don't live where those do.  It took me till your post to see the damn thing!  I'd have stepped on it and got popped.

When I lived in the Mobile, AL area for a couple years some of the guys I met offered to take me deer hunting.  I'm an avid deer hunter but I declined every time and snakes were the reason why.  I'd love to go shoot a huge TX buck but I don't think I can get past all the snakes there either.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:36:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Too easy! I simply figure out where I'd be putting my foot if I were walking through there, and that's exactly where the snake is! Of course I wouldn't have seen it first.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:44:08 AM EDT
[#41]
You people with the 'find shit in the photo' really piss me off because I can never find it!
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:57:35 AM EDT
[#42]

View All Quotes

He was: Neomonk21
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:11:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Crypsis at its finest!
Nature rawks.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:15:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Choot it!
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:22:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jm0502] [#45]
heres another one.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:29:40 PM EDT
[#46]
another tough one

I wouldn't make it very far in the woods
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:35:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By bmarshall1:
I always thought something in the snake family would make an excellent camo pattern, has anyone ever tried to replicate any patterns?
View Quote
Check out the rattle can AR thread. There's a few awesome copperhead camo rifles.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:40:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Merlin:

https://i.imgur.com/OhKfTt1.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/tgyre2X.jpg?1

Obligatory scenic pic:

https://i.imgur.com/pK5LWHP.jpg

View Quote

Nice place!

We got this fat arse from the shelter shortly after my bite. He’s caught hundreds of rodents, squirrels, and rabbits. He’s a killing machine. He’s gotten lazy, however, and likes laying in bed all day as opposed to hunting. He was near wild when we got him. He’s a ham now and near retirement.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:43:44 PM EDT
[#49]
View Quote

This?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:44:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By sh768:
another tough one

I wouldn't make it very far in the woods
View Quote

One o'clock from center of pic, just below the bright green and dull red leaves.
Page / 4
Top Top