Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:18:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Doable in parts of AZ for sure. If you ease up on the 10 acre requirement it gets very very doable.

This is pretty deep in the forest so winter travel might be a bitch, but this one caught my eye a few months ago.

Off grid, 3 acres against national forest, heavily treed mountain cabin, pretty typical of the area priced to reflect being off-grid and the winter travel issue.

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:29:34 PM EDT
[#2]
$175k got us 17 acres with a nice double wide, 8-stall barn, and a couple other small out buildings, well water, on a ridge, about 4 acres grass and the rest is hills and trees less than an hour outside Charleston, WV. We've got a couple dozen goats, loads of ducks, geese, chickens. Buy beef from our neighbor, who raises them. Frickin LOVE it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:30:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FMJshooter] [#3]
Take out a million dollar loan and start a ranch. You'll make atleast 1k a year from selling animals so it all pencils out.

Seriously if you want to do it on a budget and not be poor buy a trash lot with like 1/4 acre of buildable land and let the rest be wild.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:39:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I have 40.2 acres with an 1800 sqft house built in 1906 and 80x180, 42x46, 20x45, and 15x25 outbuildings.

330k a couple years ago. It can be done if you're really looking. If you're looking for yuppie country living, 10 minutes from a grocery store and neighbors you can see, it probably can't.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:40:39 PM EDT
[#5]
It is very possible currently OP.   Take your time.   Look at demographics.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:41:42 PM EDT
[#6]
OP's not saying where he's from so northern Wisconsin is full.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:51:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bgrhammer] [#7]
It's possible,  but you must be realistic, and understand that any discount comes with future headaches and sweat equity.

I'm dealing with it right now.  We had a bad freeze in January,  and between work and weather I've been poking around the edges trying to do this restoration of hotel services. Today was a come to Jesus Moment.  

Apparently there has been a small leak inside the wall for some time. I've got probably 8 sqft of subfloor and who knows how many studs and joist to cripple. The floor always felt bouncy. Now I know why. Now that the water is diverted,  and I've had it isolated at the road and house since January, maybe things will start to dry out under my post and beam house. Now I get to employ a father's day gift I got my dad years ago. A Fein obsolating saw, I've used these professionally years ago when they came out. Way more handy than a saws-all. They both have their place. One is a a scalpe, the other is an axe+. After today,  I should be able
to start making moves and start nickle and diming it from up above out of the mud.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:54:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Papposilenus:
Are you in the Methamphetamine Production or Catalytic Converter Redistribution industries?

lots of openings with serious growth potential and something of a "retirement" plan.

lots of openings around these parts

View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:45:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By -Sabot42-:
You and everybody else.  Good luck.  Our budget starts at 1M for this same project
View Quote

I'm in flood irrigated land near a big city with jobs for the both of us, with less than 10 acres, nicely cross fenced.  We did not spend the OP's budget. Less than a million though.

But then it's NM.  Kind of a shithole in some respects.  Our county is pretty nice, but surrounded by authoritarian assholes that want to tell everyone else what to do.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:49:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Hi neighbor, come on in.  Northern AR or Southern MO.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:06:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Skopsko07734:
Here's a couple in Florida near me.  Both have creeks and the area is very conservative.  There are four military bases nearby, five if you count NAS Pensacola.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/15-Lacey-Ln-A-1-Crestview-FL-32536/341703924_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/27-Retreat-Inlt-Baker-FL-32531/347842867_zpid/

View Quote

First one is nothing but swamp water.      The second is sorta interesting.   I wish it was a couple hours closer.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:12:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Lou_Daks:
$450k and 10+ nice acres?  Does OP own a good tent?
View Quote

Dude, if he’s okay with hauling water down ten miles of rough 4x4 trail and no electricity, he’s got a chance.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:17:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By wakeboarder:
Idaho or Mississippi
View Quote

Have you been to Idaho in the last 5 years?

You're not getting that for less than at least 600k.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:21:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By miseses:
Easily doable in rural arizona.  I spent 40k on the house (built it myself), 40k on utilities, 40k on land (~5 acres).  All 2023 prices.  Get desert land with a well share, haul in a prefab or build a tiny home.  Find someplace with minimal to no building codes.

There's people around me that have done 10 acres including the house for more like 60k but at that point you won't be near a job and you'll be really scrappy in finding recycled materials.
View Quote

Never do a shared well.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:35:15 PM EDT
[#15]
You’re most likely going to be clearing most of the land yourself at that price point.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:35:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By 2A1912:
What are some good cities to start research on?
View Quote

Cities and land?

As far as WV goes, I’d go with Pocahontas County.

Kentucky, perhaps eastern part of the State? Anything North or Central is top $ and you’re not getting any land.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:47:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mousehunter] [#17]
Where I am at, you can look at $200k for 10 acres or so (if you can find that).  Pop on a double wide and you are in business.  I am about 1/2 way between San Antonio and Houston.

People have different definition of what a tree is.  I am in an area considered a Post Oak Savanna.  It is nice and green right now - and will stay that way till about late June probably.  Then the grass will get crispy.  You have trees, mostly Live Oak and Post Oak, but a decent mix of others (generally smaller than Live Oaks) - but only where it was not cleared for farming.  If it was cleared for farming ever, then it is either still cleared, or has Mesquite and various other brush on it - probably not in "tree" sizes.  At best we have rolling hills - stuff less than 50' of elevation change over a 1/4 mile (with hilltops probably every 1/2 mile or so - abet I am on an escarpment, so I have a good long view downhill to the west and north - 20 miles in those directions, abet I am only about 200' above those plains).
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:54:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Easy to do in Deep East Texas or Far West Texas.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:01:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By HBIII:

You really can’t take the California out of them I see.
View Quote

Cali is good people, I'd go to war with him any day, and I met him once.

So, not all people from California are crap, but I'm from Washington so what do I know?
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:09:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Not Nebraska.

Not heavily widespread woods
No mountains
Probably could find 10 acres in these areas
10 acres close to populated areas - probably not
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:09:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By -Sabot42-:
You and everybody else.  Good luck.  Our budget starts at 1M for this same project
View Quote

Arkansas welcomes you.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:09:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rfoxtrot] [#22]
Originally Posted By zukguy:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By zukguy:
Originally Posted By wakeboarder:
Idaho or Mississippi

Probably more. He still wants to be next to work too? How do you feel about mining, interagency fire work, and can you stand to be more than 2 hours from a Costco? Outherwise your dreaming with that number.

You could pull of something in Custer county and work at INL. If you're willing to be scabby on the house. That is literally the only Idaho option that would even get close to that 450k number and provide any real income. There's some mining and other stuff near Lemhi county. But you're gonna be way out in the sticks to get to your budget number.... Maybe around Leesburg??? lol.

Hate to be that guy, but your budget is way too low to pull that off. Nevada somewhere in the north middle may be your only salvation here bud. Welcome to reality of Idaho in 2024.

For the doom crew and the crash is next Monday crew, home and land prices are even higher than last year around here. If interest rates even drop a C hair, it's gonna be wild.

Shitty old small houses north of the bitterroot in Montana go for 300k+ with out land. Your about 5 years to late Hoss...

Your gonna have to get way way out to get cheap land I. The intermountain west these days. 450k ain't shit near mountains unless your in a real shit location these days. Budget $225 a foot for the footage on the dwelling.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:10:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Easily doable in rural arizona.  I spent 40k on the house (built it myself), 40k on utilities, 40k on land (~5 acres).  All 2023 prices.  Get desert land with a well share, haul in a prefab or build a tiny home.  Find someplace with minimal to no building codes.

There's people around me that have done 10 acres including the house for more like 60k but at that point you won't be near a job and you'll be really scrappy in finding recycled materials.
View Quote

Trees?
Mountains?
Close to population?
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:55:38 AM EDT
[#24]
I think I found you the property OP well within your budget .

Hell with work close by live off the land

https://www.landsearch.com/properties/cadotte-creek-rd-wolf-creek-mt-59648/3150681
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:13:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:23:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Could buy 10 acres in nowhere Eastern WA and roll a trailer or a tiny house for that
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:29:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By CJ7365:

Dam dude, you not stuck in traffic on the I-5, chill the fuck out.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CJ7365:
Originally Posted By CaliContractor:
Originally Posted By MtnMusic:
Not Idaho

Thanks to all the fucking Californians pouring in...

Ah, did I hurt your feelz? Fuck off

Dam dude, you not stuck in traffic on the I-5, chill the fuck out.

Californians are only considered chilled out here if whenever someone takes a giant shit on them, they just take a garden hose and wash it off, and say thank you sir may I have another?
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:32:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Master_Shake] [#28]
I found my dream home in Western WA for under 400k but the owner wanted extra for the car and tarp.

The bank said I wasnt prequalified for the additional tarp so last minute negotiations fell through. Owner said "I know what I've got" and that was it.

https://www.redfin.com/WA/Port-Townsend/11501-State-Route-20-98368/home/189788530

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:00:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Skopsko07734] [#29]
Originally Posted By BillofRights:

First one is nothing but swamp water.      The second is sorta interesting.   I wish it was a couple hours clo
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BillofRights:
Originally Posted By Skopsko07734:
Here's a couple in Florida near me.  Both have creeks and the area is very conservative.  There are four military bases nearby, five if you count NAS Pensacola.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/15-Lacey-Ln-A-1-Crestview-FL-32536/341703924_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/27-Retreat-Inlt-Baker-FL-32531/347842867_zpid/

First one is nothing but swamp water.      The second is sorta interesting.   I wish it was a couple hours clo

The first link is not swamp water however it is in a flood zone with no structures being permitted so good catch on that being a problem, thanks.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:32:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By ranging-by-zipcode:
I think I found you the property OP well within your budget .

Hell with work close by live off the land

https://www.landsearch.com/properties/cadotte-creek-rd-wolf-creek-mt-59648/3150681
View Quote

Damn.  I love that area.  Maybe I'd have a shot, If I could convince the Wife that Grizzlies make great neighbors.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:07:04 AM EDT
[#31]
I had OP set up until he mentioned mountains.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:15:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Could find something in central MO, I'm sure.  And we have good gun laws and stuff.

14.7 Acres of Recreational Land with Home for Sale $265,000 14.7 acres
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:26:13 AM EDT
[#33]
250k house and 200k = 20k/acre.

It's doable yes. Comfortable house 1500 sq ft , probably less.

If you have to put in a well / septic / power , then it would be really tight.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:27:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Probablynotacop:
Is that even possible?
View Quote

Yep.  It was for us.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:39:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By lockinload:

The term "city" is a problem.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lockinload:
What are some good cities to start research on?

The term "city" is a problem.

Yes, that word is gross.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:45:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Notcalifornialegal:
Southeast Kansas if you want trees.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/0-S-15th-St-Independence-KS-67301/2054758226_zpid/
View Quote

I absolutely love living in rural southeast Kansas. It is such a hidden gem.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:47:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Not Utah anymore.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:58:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Off-the-Grid:
Try to find a Democrat's house and go squat on it.
View Quote

It’s funny cause it’s true.

Maybe southern IN outside of Columbus or down closer to Louisville?

I’ve got 78 acres of hilly woods and I keep getting cold calls offering $150k. You’re about a 20 min drive to the Cummins (and other heavy equipment) factory outside of Columbus, IN. Or go closer to Nashville up SR 135 and you’re still close-ish to Columbus or Nashville. People down there commute to Indy or the south side. Franklin, Whiteland and Greenwood have a ton of businesses.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:59:50 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Red-Stater:

View Quote

I've only driven through, but was stunned at how much I liked it.  Thought it was beautiful.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:01:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Glck1911:

I've only driven through, but was stunned at how much I liked it.  Thought it was beautiful.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Red-Stater:

Great hunting and fishing, too!
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:04:00 AM EDT
[#41]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MtnMusic:
Not Idaho

Thanks to all the fucking Californians pouring in...

Ah, did I hurt your feelz? Fuck off

It's in a name!!!
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:04:23 AM EDT
[#42]

View Quote

40K for a house?  Let's see a pic or two.  In my area, you can still buy a small 2 bed/1 bath 50 year old house for $150Kish.  You might be able to buy 10 acres for $50K, definately $100K.  A small (fruagally built) new house on 10 acres would be doable in rural MO.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:11:35 AM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

Most people who bitch about Kansas have only experienced it from the Interstate while passing through. To truly appreciate it you have to get off the interstate and explore the back roads and little towns.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:33:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AzzFaceKillah] [#44]
I'm glad I don't live where some of you do. This is 53 acres of woodland, no house but that's easily fixed here as well. 175k asking price. One mile from Florida line, within in an hour of two decent sized cities and several small towns (populations of 20-40k) within a 20-30 minute drive. You'd own both sides of the road and could easily control who if anyone becomes your closest neighbor.

Several other properties like that here, that one just jumped out at me cause I'd like to have it myself. I already have a piece of land about the same size with two homes, pond and irrigation system for farming and my property taxes are about $450 a year.

Two rivers and Lake Seminole maybe 1-2 miles away and looks like the property may have a small creek on it as well. Shit now I'm getting tempted

" />
" />
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:42:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BayEagle] [#45]
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:50:54 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:00:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Lou_Daks:
$450k and 10+ nice acres?  Does OP own a good tent?
View Quote

Or can a wikiup or hogan be built w/out HOA penalties?

Hokka-Hey!
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:10:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Budget is 450k
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:14:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Easy in most areas if you're at least an hour away from mid-sized cities.  If you up it to two hours away you could get a lot more than 10 acres.
It's cheap mainly because your job options are limited by being so remote.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:28:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Pick up something like this: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9999-Brices-Creek-Rd-Flat-Lick-KY-40935/346264917_zpid/

Then call @canoeguy and get a cabin thrown up
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top