Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 52
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:55:19 AM EDT
[#1]
WTF.  Did anyone catch the news conference this morning and the news reporter from south of the border that asked the question what was being done to help the families of those brave men that died in the service of the country.  I guess filling potholes now is some grand service to the country. So are they going to get a Ecuadorian or Honduran flag draped coffin ceremony?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:01:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ridinshotgun:
WTF.  Did anyone catch the news conference this morning and the news reporter from south of the border that asked the question what was being done to help the families of those brave men that died in the service of the country.  I guess filling potholes now is some grand service to the country. So are they going to get a Ecuadorian or Honduran flag draped coffin ceremony?
View Quote

They should be buried in Arlington National Cemetery.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:26:45 AM EDT
[#3]
48°F
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:39:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By SamBoga:
How did the ship leave the dock in the first place with such obvious defects?
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:42:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Agencies arrive in Baltimore to assess damage from Key Bridge collapse

Agencies arrive in Baltimore to assess damage from Key Bridge collapse
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:51:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: realwar] [#6]
Largest Crane On Eastern Seaboard Arrives

Largest Crane On Eastern Seaboard Arrives To Clean Up Baltimore's Collapsed Francis Scott Key Bridge

Aerial video: Cranes working on wreckage of Baltimore bridge collapse
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:54:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Live shot

LIVE: View of Wreck of Baltimore Bridge (March 29)
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:00:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Were the workers here legally or illegally? It seems germane if the Maryland DOT is hiring illegals for road work. I'm not suggesting they caused the accident, but it would be helpful to know if government contractors are violating the law.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:12:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bgenlvtex] [#9]
Originally Posted By atavistic:
Were the workers here legally or illegally? It seems germane if the Maryland DOT is hiring illegals for road work. I'm not suggesting they caused the accident, but it would be helpful to know if government contractors are violating the law.
View Quote

The government is not just encouraging illegal immigration, they are assisting illegal immigration to such a degree that they are flying illegals from around the world, paying them indirectly (and in some cases directly) with your tax dollars to do so.

I don't know where or how knowing the status of these people is helpful beyond curiosity sake and/or serving as a distraction.

The Federal Government enforces or disregards "law" of all kinds with casual disregard, any and every time they want to, and if you question it effectively they will punish you (again with your own money) and/or imprison you at their discretion.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:13:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By realwar:
Largest Crane On Eastern Seaboard Arrives

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6QhS8QGfNI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46RXwk9o0eg
View Quote

Wonder if that’s the one I saw heading down the C&D canal in Chesapeake City late Wednesday night.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:14:08 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

They were not DOT employees, the work was contracted out. I wonder if MD law has anything to say about contractors and illegal employment?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:17:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Wobblin-Goblin:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Wobblin-Goblin:
Originally Posted By ridinshotgun:

10% discount at Lowes
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:20:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By midmo:

10% discount at Lowes
View Quote

Biden once took a train over that bridge its vital to the nation.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:22:26 PM EDT
[#14]
They said the largest crane there can pick up a max of 1,000 tons. The piece of bridge laying on the ship they say weighs around 3,000 tons, so they are going to have to chop it up with torches and remove it piece by piece.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:26:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: realwar] [#15]
Federal funding approved for Key Bridge Collapse

Federal funding approved for Key Bridge Collapse

Eastern Shore's largest crane cleans up collapsed Baltimore Key Bridge
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:35:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dboy11] [#16]
They said the largest crane there can pick up a max of 1,000 tons. The piece of bridge laying on the ship they say weighs around 3,000 tons, so they are going to have to chop it up with torches and remove it piece by piece.
View Quote

There are multiple other cranes in the 300-600 ton range inbound as well
Equipment is literally coming in from all over the world

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:38:26 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

Det cord cutting charges seem like they would be more efficient/faster??
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:41:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ArmyInfantryVet] [#18]
View Quote

I figure the roadway sections will be the biggest pain in the ass part to move. I think the bridge truss system would weigh much less than the roadway sections. Plus the roadway is several materials all together, where as the truss neywork is just steel.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:46:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Dboy11:
They are planning on the port being operational in 6 weeks

Equipment is still inbound from all over the world for the effort

Virginia ports started unloading vessels due to Baltimore last night.

One of the bigger issues is a massive quantity of bulk agricultural products come into Baltimore and it’s the beginning of the planting season

The weather has put a damper on towing stuff to the site, a few guys have lost some barges from tow ropes breaking, usual stuff

Not sure about the New York side, but the Virginia ports have stepped up everything they can.  It makes me proud to see what everyone is doing.  

Maryland is doing a great job getting things in place.  

Again, makes me proud to live in this great country.  Keep crushing it.
View Quote

What's happening at the Richmond Marine terminal? They could probably use a shot in the arm.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:52:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Once freed from all of the steel trusses I assume the ship will be pushed/pulled to a nearby terminal. Would the pier she came from be an option or will she go elsewhere due to the damage?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:54:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dboy11] [#21]
Originally Posted By LoBrau:

What's happening at the Richmond Marine terminal? They could probably use a shot in the arm.
View Quote

Most stuff that goes there comes from VIG or NIT and is put on barges and pushed there .

I haven’t been there in a bit but we worked on a bunch of expansion last year there

NNMT is going to take the brunt of the overflow RORO stuff,  but they will have issues with rail going out of there .

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:55:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By pavil58ar:
Once freed from all of the steel trusses I assume the ship will be pushed/pulled to a nearby terminal. Would the pier she came from be an option or will she go elsewhere due to the damage?
View Quote

I would think they would offload it back at the terminal. Then tug it back into open water and send it off to get fixed somewhere.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:58:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By pavil58ar:
View Quote

Just a guess, but they'll probably tow her to one of the ports upstream to unload her before sending her to wherever she goes from there -- shipyard to be fixed, or scrapyard to be taken apart, depending on how fixable she is. It's possible they'll have one of the cranes unload her where she is onto another ship (or barges), and then tow her directly to wherever she goes next. They aren't doing much of anything until they get the bridge off her, though.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:00:46 PM EDT
[#24]

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:14:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By G-lock:

View All Quotes

It would also seem safer to me.  When you have that much material mangled like that, it can be hard to predict what will happen when you cut a piece….even more so when a significant portion is underwater and can’t be seen.  Using cutting charges would let the workers be away from the mess when a section is “cut” away.

I also don’t do this type of work, so I’m just guessing here.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:15:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By DarkStar:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GJ2K1VXXMAACdiQ?format=jpg&name=medium

View Quote

It took 5 years to build it in the 70s, FWIW. Given that this will require removal of wreckage and probably a complete redesign of the busted bridge piers, it's not too surprising.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:42:48 PM EDT
[#27]
View Quote
There are cranes that can lift more. I heard the core of engineers can't do more than 1000 tons. The  crane that lifted that car carrier that capsized in Sc can do 7500 tons. I wonder if they clear a section of bridge then that barge super crane can waddle over sections of the bridge and lift them up and then move them out of the way outside the channel.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:55:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By fox2008:

It would also seem safer to me.  When you have that much material mangled like that, it can be hard to predict what will happen when you cut a piece….even more so when a significant portion is underwater and can’t be seen.  Using cutting charges would let the workers be away from the mess when a section is “cut” away.

View All Quotes

That’s what I was thinking..
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:01:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Sailboat:
There are cranes that can lift more. I heard the core of engineers can't do more than 1000 tons. The  crane that lifted that car carrier that capsized in Sc can do 7500 tons. I wonder if they clear a section of bridge then that barge super crane can waddle over sections of the bridge and lift them up and then move them out of the way outside the channel.
View All Quotes

The company I worked for had designed the largest revolving cranes in the world at 7700 MT capacity each, they were sold as a pair and do combined lifts. But they look to be operating over in the North Sea. Since I got out of it there are twin 10,000 MT cranes out there also in the North Sea.

We designed the crane that lifted Sully's plane out of the water but it only has a 500 MT capacity.

I worked on some 5000 MT cranes but I'm not sure where they are currently operating. Likely Asia.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:13:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By cranberry1:

If the roadway is a problem than that will slow things up by a lot it's going to require a lot of divers

I'm sure lots of salvage divers on the east coast will be on standby .
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Msgathof:

That debris is going to compromise the draft of the channel, it will need to be removed.

If the roadway is a problem than that will slow things up by a lot it's going to require a lot of divers

The roadbed may not be an immediate issue if they can remove the trusses. Channel bottoms tend to be soft, hence the need for regular dredging. It may have sunk into the mud deep enough to be below the subsurface. Anything sticking out of the mud can be lopped off. Clear the channel first, then the remainder as it is convenient/ necessary. Parts of it may never be removed unless economically advantageous.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:16:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By WoodHeat:

A ship that size, that draws about 40', doesn't fall off that quickly in a 3 knot crosswind. People seem to think that the waterline is where the ship stops, and that the underwater portion of the vessel offers no resistance

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WoodHeat:
Originally Posted By Subpar:
Originally Posted By Piratepast40:
Looking for another plausible explanation for the bow swinging to starboard.  Could have been that they were turing the rudder to port when they lost power.  Once power was regained, the rudder went full left as the steering pumps or accumulator regained effectiveness.  When the engine was revered, water flow would have been against the rudder pushing the bow to starboard.  They were correcting at the helm, and the shift to starboard stopped, just before they hit the bridge.

Plausible theory or dumb idea?

3 knot crosswind blew it the fuck sideways.

If you don't believe that you don't understand physics, so the experts say.

A ship that size, that draws about 40', doesn't fall off that quickly in a 3 knot crosswind. People seem to think that the waterline is where the ship stops, and that the underwater portion of the vessel offers no resistance

You know that wind and water always conspire against efforts of navigation.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:23:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sailboat] [#32]
Originally Posted By APPARITION:

The company I worked for had designed the largest revolving cranes in the world at 7700 MT capacity each, they were sold as a pair and do combined lifts. But they look to be operating over in the North Sea. Since I got out of it there are twin 10,000 MT cranes out there also in the North Sea.

We designed the crane that lifted Sully's plane out of the water but it only has a 500 MT capacity.

I worked on some 5000 MT cranes but I'm not sure where they are currently operating. Likely Asia.
View All Quotes

This?
Big crane

I don't know if it would work. Looks cool.
especially when it runs aground:

VersaBar 10000 Solo Los valientes (VB-10,000)

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:25:40 PM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes

On the one hand, yes. Something with that much size and mass, is probably like a widowmaker in felling. Could move in dangerous ways, when the load on one section is moved/removed.

But I have zero experience with this, and don’t know what kind of material thicknesses they can work on, especially with sections underwater.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:27:15 PM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes

As someone else mentioned, there are airbag systems that can be used to get massive weights off the bottom, so they can be towed/moved.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:38:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DK-Prof] [#35]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:38:39 PM EDT
[#36]
This?
Big crane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H66Y_08oI8g

View All Quotes

This?
Big crane

No, we did revolving cranes

#2 and #3 on this list were designed before me but by my coworkers. The one above is the #2. It has steel pins that are 7 feet in diameter. 24 miles of wire rope on each crane IIRC.
https://www.marineinsight.com/types-of-ships/5-massive-crane-ships-operating-at-the-sea/
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:40:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:
I know nothing about this kind of recovery/cleanup stuff - but I would imagine that the best approach would be to FIRST use cranes and airbags and whatever else to get wreckage and debris out of the main channel as quickly as possible (maybe just dumping it on either side) and THEN clean up and remove all of that at a more leisurely pace later.  With such an approach, I imagine the port could probably re-open to operations within three to four weeks.

Obviously, building a new bridge will take years, but I imagine the port can be operating again relatively quickly.

That said, I would not be surprised if I am completely wrong, and it takes much longer.  
View Quote

I was thinking what you're thinking. Get the stuff out of the channel; float it, drag it, lift it or all of the above. Clean it up from outside the channel.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:40:12 PM EDT
[#38]
View All Quotes

This?
Big crane

No, we did revolving cranes

https://scontent.ffcm1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/225583165_4437011793018379_7304473069088504641_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5f2048&_nc_ohc=98vb6Gl7QTkAX8M3ZnZ&_nc_ht=scontent.ffcm1-2.fna&oh=00_AfACFz_spaaN4ns-cp6tV3rNYZHjXj_NYyZf9ePD3lgQRQ&oe=660BEF67

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/40/SSCVThialf.jpg

#2 and #3 on this list were designed before me but by my coworkers. The one above is the #2. It has steel pins that are 7 feet in diameter. 24 miles of wire rope on each crane IIRC.
https://www.marineinsight.com/types-of-ships/5-massive-crane-ships-operating-at-the-sea/

wow
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:52:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By shooter_gregg:
The roadbed may not be an immediate issue if they can remove the trusses. Channel bottoms tend to be soft, hence the need for regular dredging. It may have sunk into the mud deep enough to be below the subsurface. Anything sticking out of the mud can be lopped off. Clear the channel first, then the remainder as it is convenient/ necessary. Parts of it may never be removed unless economically advantageous.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Msgathof:

That debris is going to compromise the draft of the channel, it will need to be removed.

Sounds like an exciting way for a dredge to unexpectedly find old bridge parts in a couple years.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:55:40 PM EDT
[#40]

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:56:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By LoBrau:

Sounds like an exciting way for a dredge to unexpectedly find old bridge parts in a couple years.
View Quote

Like running over a paper clip with a vacuum cleaner?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:11:24 PM EDT
[#42]

View All Quotes

but think of the local marine life.  probably not a fun day if people start popping off detcord in the water nearby.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:16:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By DarkStar:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GJ2K1VXXMAACdiQ?format=jpg&name=medium

View Quote

I am not a bridge builder/engineer but that time frame is just made up doomerism.  Probably mentioned to aid in 10% to special people.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:18:46 PM EDT
[#44]
View Quote

Seems like leaving road surface section would impact future dredging.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:27:33 PM EDT
[#45]
An interesting point ;
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:30:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:32:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Heineken] [#47]
View Quote

Lol.  All they do is get an itin number and find a job as a "individual contractor".

Companies at the top hire a contractor who hires contractors.  The company at the top and the buyer of services just play dumb.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:42:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brass] [#48]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:45:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Is that why my Temu stuff is late?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:59:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Maryland Gov. Wes Moore Laid Out The State's Priorities For Key Bridge Clean Up

Maryland Gov. Wes Moore Laid Out The State's Priorities For Key Bridge Clean Up
Page / 52
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top