BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 53
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 4:08:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By subcomunic8r:

They were not DOT employees, the work was contracted out. I wonder if MD law has anything to say about contractors and illegal employment?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By subcomunic8r:
Originally Posted By atavistic:
Were the workers here legally or illegally? It seems germane if the Maryland DOT is hiring illegals for road work. I'm not suggesting they caused the accident, but it would be helpful to know if government contractors are violating the law.

They were not DOT employees, the work was contracted out. I wonder if MD law has anything to say about contractors and illegal employment?

Federal law does.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 5:01:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Jack_Of_Some_Trades:
but think of the local marine life.  probably not a fun day if people start popping off detcord in the water nearby.  
View Quote

Probably not a lot of marine life in Baltimore Harbor.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 5:12:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By GunLvrPHD:

View All Quotes
but think of the local marine life.  probably not a fun day if people start popping off detcord in the water nearby.  

There is BUT the area and river around the east (?) side of Key bridge was heavily polluted from a paint manufacturing plant. There was a warning to NOT eat any fish or seafood taken from that area. I'm confident a lot of the silt on the river bed there is quite toxic.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 5:22:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 5:28:20 PM EDT
[#5]

View Quote

That’s why John Kelly used to set off a small charge right before, to scare the fish out of the area.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 5:30:35 PM EDT
[#6]

View Quote

Yeah not really. One of the guys on my boat fished Curtis Creek every single day we were in the yard and didn’t catch shit. You get lower in the Chesapeake and they’re all about the cobia and stripers though. Might be some good ones in the deep channel making the steel structure their new home though
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 5:43:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AmericanPeople] [#7]
Originally Posted By bgenlvtex:
I don't know where or how knowing the status of these people is helpful beyond curiosity sake and/or serving as a distraction.
View Quote

1)  They are here illegally...violating our immigration laws.

2)  They negatively impact the medical care available to US citizens by using the emergency room and other medical care resources.

3)  They negatively impact the school system by enrolling their crotch fruit in our schools...thus "stealing" part of my property taxes.

4)  They contribute to crime including vehicle crashes, murders and probably rapes, burglaries etc.

5)  They are undermining out voting process.

6)  They probably live somewhere so adversely affect the housing market.

7)  Like in this case, they take away tens of millions of jobs from Americans.

8)  They appear to be getting substantial financial aid.  Whether that is from taxes, commie humanitarian organizations or both but either way it is still a "theft" of our taxes or resources that can go to Americans.

Deport all 50-70 million illegals
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 5:47:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Random question came to mind - why is the east coast often referred to as the eastern seaboard while I have never heard of the West coast referred to as the western seaboard?  Is it due to the bathemetry, perhaps the relative shallowness of the waters off the east coast?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 5:50:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 5:51:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:

2)  They negatively impact the medical care available to US citizens by using the emergency room and other medical care resources.

3)  They negatively impact the school system by enrolling their crotch fruit in our schools...thus "stealing" part of my property taxes.

4)  They contribute to crime including vehicle crashes, murders and probably rapes, burglaries etc.

View Quote
Agree  1000% Get rid of them
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 5:53:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Cataly5t:
Random question came to mind - why is the east coast often referred to as the eastern seaboard while I have never heard of the West coast referred to as the western seaboard?  Is it due to the bathemetry, perhaps the relative shallowness of the waters off the east coast?
View Quote

"Seaboard" is a term used by white European settlers on the east coast area.   By the time people got to the west coast they had slung off the Euroweenie language.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 6:05:11 PM EDT
[#12]

"Seaboard" is a term used by white European settlers on the east coast area.   By the time people got to the west coast they had slung off the Euroweenie language.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Cataly5t:

Lol!  Looks at state, understands why so angry
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 6:06:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brass] [#13]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 6:23:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Company that re-floated ship in 2008 salvaging Key Bridge site

Company that re-floated ship in 2008 salvaging Key Bridge site

The company that will oversee the removal of the ship that struck and collapsed the Francis Scott Key Bridge has prior experience in the Baltimore harbor, 11 News Investigates has learned.  After a 700-foot container ship dubbed the MV Sea Witch sank in the Patapsco River in 2003, salvage firm Resolve Marine was tasked with re-floating the ship, removing it and dismantling it.  

The Port of Baltimore is one of the busiest in the nation, and clearing the channel and re-opening the port can only happen once the ship is removed. Parts of the Key Bridge currently rest on top of the Dali cargo ship, pinning it against the Patapsco riverbed.

https://resolvemarine.com/

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 6:53:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By brass:

Wasn't Baltimore ranked near Boston Harbor for most polluted Harbors back 30 years ago?   I know Boston had the Chlorine production factories discharging into the harbor and their combined sewer/runoff dumped untreated sewage into the harbor when it rained, not sure if Baltimore had a similar setup and factories just dumping water into the harbor so there weren't really any fish to catch and the scavengers of the water that were there had essentially toxic meat and there were signs not to eat anything caught.   That didn't stop the people from the orient who would catch and eat anything.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By KELBEAST:

Yeah not really. One of the guys on my boat fished Curtis Creek every single day we were in the yard and didn't catch shit. You get lower in the Chesapeake and they're all about the cobia and stripers though. Might be some good ones in the deep channel making the steel structure their new home though

Wasn't Baltimore ranked near Boston Harbor for most polluted Harbors back 30 years ago?   I know Boston had the Chlorine production factories discharging into the harbor and their combined sewer/runoff dumped untreated sewage into the harbor when it rained, not sure if Baltimore had a similar setup and factories just dumping water into the harbor so there weren't really any fish to catch and the scavengers of the water that were there had essentially toxic meat and there were signs not to eat anything caught.   That didn't stop the people from the orient who would catch and eat anything.

The rule back in the 80s was never to eat lobster in a restaurant in Boston. I used to run all over that filthy harbor in a little runabout and it was all I could do to avoid the lobster traps that were everywhere. Disgusting. I went along one time with a buddy from TN that wanted to fish the Charles river. He pulled up huge catfish but they were covered in lesions. He got over the urge to fish in Boston.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:18:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KELBEAST] [#16]

View Quote

I don’t know about that, I’m from the West Virginia part of Maryland. I can tell you that I’ve been to a lot of places in the planet, and Boston had the WORST potable water I’ve ever seen. Only place (and that includes 3rd world countries) where the potable water shore connection on the pier flowed brown for 5-10 minutes before finally turning clear enough to hook up to the ship
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:32:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bgenlvtex] [#17]

8)  They appear to be getting substantial financial aid.  Whether that is from taxes, commie humanitarian organizations or both but either way it is still a "theft" of our taxes or resources that can go to Americans.

View All Quotes
I don't know where or how knowing the status of these people is helpful beyond curiosity sake and/or serving as a distraction.

I'm with you 100%.

The Federal Government is responsible for them being here, they say, "Fuck you and your laws"

"Deport" the Federal Government,  all of them .
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:36:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By eolian:

Biden once took a train over that bridge its vital to the nation.
View Quote

Once?  Said he did it numerous times.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:38:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Poodleshooter:

It took 5 years to build it in the 70s, FWIW. Given that this will require removal of wreckage and probably a complete redesign of the busted bridge piers, it's not too surprising.
View Quote

Build a tunnel instead?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:39:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By dirtyboy:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By eolian:

Biden once took a train over that bridge its vital to the nation.

I'm really hoping that someone in the press pool asks if the railway across the bridge is going to be prioritized so KJP can fill us in.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:44:18 PM EDT
[#21]
What was in the containers? Shit from China? Or shit from the US?

Seems like they wouldn't stop in the US and not unload them all? Or is that not how any of this works
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:46:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By BobbyHill:

Seems like they wouldn't stop in the US and not unload them all? Or is that not how any of this works
View Quote

Generally speaking, a container ship will be loading and discharging at every port. Kind of like a bus making stops. Some get on, some get off.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:52:17 PM EDT
[#23]

Build a tunnel instead?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Poodleshooter:

It took 5 years to build it in the 70s, FWIW. Given that this will require removal of wreckage and probably a complete redesign of the busted bridge piers, it's not too surprising.

Build a tunnel instead?

Hazardous materials are generally not allowed in tunnels.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:56:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Tunnel and Next bridge to the NW  (I-895) are getting hammered in one direction  Rest of it looks orange and red intermittently everywhere from the live traffic map.  It's 6pm there, I don't know when their peak is, I'd assume 4pm-6pm EST.

https://i.imgur.com/sFESR60.png

https://i.imgur.com/kxdl2Tt.png

View Quote

Normal but also holiday weekend.  Traffic starts building around 2pm on normal days.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:57:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LurchAddams] [#25]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:58:03 PM EDT
[#26]

I'm really hoping that someone in the press pool asks if the railway across the bridge is going to be prioritized so KJP can fill us in.
View Quote

Make it a light rail project and the price will quadruple, planning will take 20 years, and the final design won't meet Coast Guard specs for marine traffic.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:00:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By LurchAddams:
Indian crew is still onboard the ship.  
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/2024/03/29/dali-ship-crew-baltimore-bridge-collapse/
View Quote

I'm guessing that's for their own safety.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:03:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By WoodHeat:

Generally speaking, a container ship will be loading and discharging at every port. Kind of like a bus making stops. Some get on, some get off.
View Quote

Interesting. And that makes sense. I never really thought about it until now.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:04:04 PM EDT
[#29]

Build a tunnel instead?
View Quote

I’m on 2 tunnel projects right now.  It will cost more and take longer LOL
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:09:30 PM EDT
[#30]

View All Quotes

My company (freight forwarder) has a container on the Dali. Export box that loaded at Norfolk, the previous port call.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:12:52 PM EDT
[#31]

View Quote
It was loaded or topped off in Baltimore and was heading to Sri Lanka, that island nation just south of India.

So probably raw materials for agriculture, 'craft' or clothing industry and goods from the US or possibly other prior stops.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:19:33 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

Illegals counted in the census account for 23 of the Democratic seats currently in the House. This years surge will get them 5-7 more. That's why the Democrats want open borders and "sanctuary" cities - Those illegals get them seats and power.

Without illegals in sanctuary cities, there would be a strong Republican majority in the House and the Democrats know it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:37:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LoBrau] [#33]
Originally Posted By Dboy11:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dboy11:

Build a tunnel instead?

Doesn't help when they hit a fucking anchor 60ft under the bottom of the bay and stop work for god knows how long.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:46:08 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

Maybe on the above water pieces??  Is det cord that loud, all I've been around were short chunks used to breach doors.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:47:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brass] [#35]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:27:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dboy11] [#36]
Originally Posted By LoBrau:

Doesn't help when they hit a fucking anchor 60ft under the bottom of the bay and stop work for god knows how long.
View Quote

LOL ol girl should be up and running and shortly! Jet grout is going in hard right now!

The other one is about to start the switcharoo

Things are about to get crazy with those projects.  This bridge is taking most of the marine resources away from them
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:53:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brass] [#37]
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:56:33 PM EDT
[#38]

I think they'd be able to drag the deck and truss out of the channel for later removal once they get the ship free.  I didn't realize it was pushed to the bottom of the channel by the weight of the bridge, but it explains why it hasn't moved, in addition to port anchor, anyway.

View Quote

Ooo ya she sitting on the bottom good.  I think I’m heading there Sunday so I can report back then

It’s either that or I’m going to play truck driver and go pickup equipment where some of my other can’t get to because of badging.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:19:28 PM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

Deport them to places they very much don't want to go.  Places that are very difficult to leave.

Desolation Island would be an appropriate place given the seriousness of their crimes.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:22:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By LurchAddams:
Indian crew is still onboard the ship.  
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/2024/03/29/dali-ship-crew-baltimore-bridge-collapse/
View Quote

Link has HIV

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:29:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Giant chains to bridge thej to a couple aircraft carriers
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:05:38 PM EDT
[#42]

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:38:34 PM EDT
[#43]
When a ship experiences a full blackout, you immediately lose all steering.
The bigger problem is the rudder is locked whenever it was when the power went out.

Ships never move in a straight line. Attached is a picture of a ship course recorder. Notice how the heading is not a straight line.

The best helmsmen will steer a ship in a a tight sine wave.
A few degrees port rudder.
Hold
Back to zero degrees rudder
Hold
A few degrees to port
Hold

But truly exceptional helmsmen are rare. Most will over correct on one side of the course line or another. They will have periods of looser waves and tighter waves.

The best case scenario is if the power failure happens when the helmsman is holding at zero degrees rudder. But even then the ship will be pushed off course by the wind (and current)

So in fact the best scenario is if you lose power during the point in the sine curve when the helm is turned slightly into the prevailing wind (and current)

Now some ships are designed to return the rudder to centerline in the event of a power failure but this feature is not universal because they add complexity and cost into the system.

And even if it the rudder was returned to zero, centerline is not optimal (a slight heading into the prevailing conditions is and no steering failure systems are designed for that).

We don’t where the Dali’s rudder was at the time of the blackout (NTSB will examine the course recorder charts) but chances are it wasn’t centered at the exact moment of the blackout.

Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:20:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Tomac:
I don't have enough solid/credible info to decide the cause just yet, so will wait before coming to my own conclusion.
However, I do find it interesting that the ship just happened to impact the most strategic point of the bridge.
View Quote
There are only two main truss pillars for that bridge. One on each side of the ship channel.

Those two truss pillars are the ONLY part of the bridge that a ship can hit.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 2:05:04 AM EDT
[#45]
My Danish ship captain friend living here in Pattaya sent me this video in which a ship engineer expert gives his explanation of what happened, and my friend agrees with this experts opinion.
Expert Ships Engineer Reacts to Baltimore Bridge Crash

Link Posted: 3/30/2024 2:21:22 AM EDT
[#46]

I think they'd be able to drag the deck and truss out of the channel for later removal once they get the ship free.  I didn't realize it was pushed to the bottom of the channel by the weight of the bridge, but it explains why it hasn't moved, in addition to port anchor, anyway.

View Quote

She's noticably down by the bow.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 4:27:44 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 7:43:20 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By MADMAXXX:
My Danish ship captain friend living here in Pattaya sent me this video in which a ship engineer expert gives his explanation of what happened, and my friend agrees with this experts opinion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEzDh4RwpaM

View Quote

Interesting.

So the pilot did the instinctual thing going into reverse, but maybe not the right thing in this case.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 7:47:34 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Sebastian_MacMaine:
https://i.imgur.com/b93Fyfy.jpeg
View Quote

Not sure what's going on here.  Is there a suggestion that illegal workers filling pot holes on the bridge somehow caused the ship to crash into the bridge?
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 8:40:02 AM EDT
[#50]
The first photo you posted where it looked like the bow of the ship almost hit the bumper shows how a telephoto lens compresses depth perception.

It's common on arfcom to be completely unaware of camera angle and telephoto lenses presenting distorted perceptions.

Photos in this post make it clear that the ship is pretty far away.

Also, I have no idea what those bumpers were actually supposed to accomplish. Pinball bumpers serve no purpose against marine traffic.
Page / 53
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top