BCM
User Panel

Dune Part 2 (Page 7 of 8)
Page / 8
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 7:59:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sq40:
Zendaya is almost playing Mary Jane from Spiderman again. Aloof, arrogant, detached.
View Quote

Probably just as the writer(s) and director wanted.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:45:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 6:49:43 PM EDT
[#3]
late to the party, really enjoyed it.
the worm riding was awesome.

Link Posted: 3/17/2024 8:36:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 8:48:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By elcope:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/18/2024 12:46:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Some notable commentary about the new Dune movies:

https://rumble.com/v4josll-dune-dispensing-crimson-red-pills.html

https://rumble.com/v4jts80-dune-crimson-red-pills-rejected-by-hollywood.html
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 12:48:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By CB1:
late to the party, really enjoyed it.
the worm riding was awesome.

View Quote

I wonder how they get off of the worm without dying....and if they do survive, how long do they lay motionless in the sand before trying to get up without attracting a worm?
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 2:42:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By dorobuta:

I wonder how they get off of the worm without dying....and if they do survive, how long do they lay motionless in the sand before trying to get up without attracting a worm?
View Quote

They wait for the worms to get tired and start "sulking" and then hop off. The worm eventually gains its energy back and burrows down back in the sand.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 3:17:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I wonder... Was this a Dune reference?

Fight Club (3/5) Movie CLIP - Chemical Burn (1999) HD

His hand certainly wasn't undamaged afterward.

Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy - Gom Jabbar
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 3:21:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Yep, good movie.

We watched UI a couple of days before II to get caught up II picked up right where I left off. Well done. Looking forward to III.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 3:23:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JDennis] [#11]
I haven't seen the first one yet.

Guess I should start there....
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 3:24:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JDennis] [#12]
Dupe
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 10:56:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 11:26:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Snozberry:
Just watched Dune pt2 on IMAX and came away from it with mixed feelings.

On one hand there is no questioning the technical aspects of the movie. Cinematography, special effects, soundtrack and the acting are all top notch. If this movie doesn't recieve an aware for that alone, it will be a travesty. On the other, it's the editing and plot choices that give this movie something less than four stars. Some you'll notice and others you won't unless you have the book(s) somewhere in your garage and have seen the 80s movie a number of times.

**Spoilers**

The first, most jarring aspect of the movie is the chemistery between the main characters of Zendaya (Chani) and Chalamet (Paul). Frankly it's shit, primarily due to Zendaya's uncharismatic passive-aggressive attitude toward her relationship with Paul, and it's only made worse with the plot choice to have her factionalized into the anti-white man colonizer camp as opposed to supporting her mate as the would-be messiah. Yes, the more I think on the matter, the more I really do believe that this was a girl-power concession, because the ending radically changes the arc of the canon material. The 80s Chani wasn't a jilteted lover. She was a partner in crime iirc and fully bought into Paul's messiah position as the plot progressed. Moreover, she knew and was okay with the fact that she was always Pauls real lover while the Empress was a paper concubine. I suspected the Zendaya/Chalamet pairing would be shit in the first movie but was hoping they could turn that around. Nope, she's still completely unlikable here as well.

She's no Sean Young in her prime, that's for sure.

Now don't get me wrong-- The 80s material doesn't age well, but the more I compared the two, the more I began to wonder what the hell was Dune Pt2 doing with that 2 hours and 46 minutes of run time versus the 80s movie that clocking in 2:17? For all it's expositional flaws, the 80s movie was paced far better than Pt2 and managed its plot material much better in my opinion. And lets be clear-- The fault specifically lies with Pt2. Pt1 was damn near a master piece. The fall of house Atraties was a masterwork on the topic. The poltical tug of war between the houses, throne, spice guild and sisterhood could have used a bit more attention, but overall, it was great stuff. Part 2 meander needlessly for far too long in the desert. Whereas the 80s material comfortably captured Pauls doubt, installation as a fremin and rise to messiah in the space of two hours, Pt2 squandered its time to the point where some very obvious editing had to be done so that they could squeeze Pauls sudden rise to messiah and sacking of the emperor in a half hour. Compared to the awesomeness of the fall of house atraties, the counter offensive against the emperor felt far less epic and absolutely sandwiched in for run time. I guranatee they could have mined that half hour by cutting out the various scenes of people camping in the desert over and over.

And dem nuclear missiles. LOL.

On the pacing, the decision not to have Aliyah born in this timeframe didn't strike me as bad as I though it as going to be. Originally, having the slightly crazy child kill off baron harkonnen with her super powers was a great bit of fun in the source material and helped illustrate Pauls time amongst the fremin, but on the other, watching mom just mumble to herself and make plans with the girl in her womb was just as wtf diabolical. That said, it means movie one and two happened inside 8 months, whereas the 80s material takes at least three years to get Paul to be a messiah. On that same note, somebody else already noted that Paul seems like a normal person with a cult following. Aside from the voice, there was no Messiah moment or something indicating he was THE ONE. "Oh I know shit about your family" isn't enough IMO. In the 80s material, he made it RAIN. He split Fey open with his voice. The pacing of his rise to sainthood was a constant curve with examples shown, not a sudden, vertical wall of plot to get him there. This Paul seems... Average.

In the end, i'm left conflicted. Part 1 seemed to use its long run time to greater effect while part 2 squandered it on unimportant scenes, resulting in the obvious need for editing down in time. The problem was they chose absolutely the wrong things to trim. Maybe when viewed ogther the whole will make up for the sum of its parts- especially a directors cut version -but that won't fix Zendaya's wholely unlikeable personality and the plot choices they made with her.
View Quote

I'll say it again. I almost feel sorry for Zendaya.  She played Chani exactly the way Villeneuve wanted her to and she's getting killed for it.  Villeneuve decided rather than have Paul's self-doubts expressed through internal monologue, they would be verbalized by Chani.  

And I can see why.  Internal monologues always suck.  But this turns Chani into a harping bitch.  Could Zendaya played a Chani that was more positive and closer to the book?   We'll never know.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 11:36:35 PM EDT
[#15]
My son and DIL went to see it last Saturday and they did not like it

Link Posted: 3/18/2024 11:38:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Fushaw:

They wait for the worms to get tired and start "sulking" and then hop off. The worm eventually gains its energy back and burrows down back in the sand.
View Quote
So, how do they know how far the worms will go in the first place...or even which direction?
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 11:42:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Jason280:
So, how do they know how far the worms will go in the first place...or even which direction?
View Quote

I think the hooks they use tell the worms to go left or right.

That said even if such a thing could exist. I doubt it. If you were riding it like it is shown in the movies then it would probably just submerge. I don't see much reason for the worms to do what any human would tell them. Barring some sort of telepathy. Or the humans having something the worms want.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 11:45:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Hesperus:

That said even if such a thing could exist. I doubt it. If you were riding it like it is shown in the movies then it would probably just submerge. I don't see much reason for the worms to do what any human would tell them. Barring some sort of telepathy. Or the humans having something the worms want.
View Quote

Watching the movie closer, it looks like they hook on and open air vents/breathing holes and the worm appears to not want to submerge with those vents/holes open since they'll get sand in them. That's just speculation based on the fact that they zoomed in on those vents/holes a couple times.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 11:45:42 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

The way they hook into the scales causes painful irritation in the worm, so it rotates in a way that the exposed scales are farthest away from the sand.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 11:46:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PolarBear416] [#20]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Explained in the book but not in the movie:

The hooks pull open a segment, which would let sand underneath, irritating the worm. So the worm will rotate to keep the open part above the sand (so they don't submerge). They can turn the worm by pulling more on the left or right, causing the worm to turn/rotate to keep the most open section at the top.

ETA beat
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 11:50:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PolarBear416] [#21]
I liked the movie but think they raced through the beat down of the emperor a little too quickly. Should have had more reaction and surprise by the bad guys about the worms entering the city, the number of Fremen, etc

Instead they cut it down to the minimum probably for time.

That's my only complaint.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 11:56:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MRW] [#22]
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 10:28:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By JLH3:
I'll say it again. I almost feel sorry for Zendaya.  She played Chani exactly the way Villeneuve wanted her to and she's getting killed for it.  
View Quote

Like Emily Blunt in Sicario
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 10:29:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Saw it Sunday and enjoyed it.

Link Posted: 3/19/2024 10:53:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Joe731:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Joe731:
I'll say it again. I almost feel sorry for Zendaya.  She played Chani exactly the way Villeneuve wanted her to and she's getting killed for it.  

Good comparison.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 1:15:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By R_S:

View Quote

Good you brought Black Pigeon to the thread. Rumble links are tough here. Fortunately, Youtube has not erased the same videos, yet, so I'll link:

DUNE: Dispensing CRIMSON RED PILLS

DUNE: CRIMSON RED PILLS Rejected by Hollywood

Link Posted: 3/20/2024 10:57:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Sajer:
Saw it Sunday and enjoyed it.

View Quote

Ditto. I've loved Dune for decades. I recently re-read the entire first six books.

It was good. I thought the changes to Chani's character were ok. She's been changed to reflect the audience's skepticism over Paul's apotheosis. It worked for me. Obviously she'll discover she's pregnant in part 3 and come back to Paul and they'll reconcile, and she'll become a supporter, if reluctantly, at least until the birth.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 11:19:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ArmyInfantryVet] [#28]
Originally Posted By MRW:
the hooks lift the segment of the worm apart from the segment underneath it, which allows sand to get in a tender area.  The worm rolls over to put this part straight up in the air to get the sand out, or at least not drive more in. the worm will not dive under with a "flap" open to sand, and will move rapidly along the surface to "air it out", much like an oyster does not like grit inside its shell. With various hooks and techniques, you can steer them around.

super beat
View Quote

Yes sir. It pulls back the worm segments; exposing the delicate innards. The worm's rolling and turning to keep sand out is how they are steered.

Or like you said exactly.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 11:26:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Flysc:

Good you brought Black Pigeon to the thread. Rumble links are tough here. Fortunately, Youtube has not erased the same videos, yet, so I'll link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNomdgI-_Qs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gkKRtHX3a0

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Flysc:
Originally Posted By R_S:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNomdgI-_Qs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gkKRtHX3a0

I didn’t watch the videos, I assume they touched on the anti-abortion message in the movie?
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:49:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Just seated for IMAX.  I made the mistake of booking the lower section.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:07:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By FishKepr:
Just seated for IMAX.  I made the mistake of booking the lower section.  
View Quote

Enjoy.

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:09:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By ramairthree:

They didn’t bother because guild navigators don’t f-ing fold space.
The engines do.
The Navigator just picks the jump coordinates from viewing how the futures work out with the coordinates.

On, but the way, in the novel they also didn’t have wrist things turning voices into weapons.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ramairthree:
Originally Posted By killstick_engaged:

Looking forward to taking the wife to dunc 2, she liked the first one and also enjoyed 1980s Dune

The original will always have my respect for having the brass balls to try and depict a guild navigator folding space with 1980s film technology. Dunc didn't even bother. They're on Kaladan. Now they're on Arrakis. Things just happen

They didn’t bother because guild navigators don’t f-ing fold space.
The engines do.
The Navigator just picks the jump coordinates from viewing how the futures work out with the coordinates.

On, but the way, in the novel they also didn’t have wrist things turning voices into weapons.

Yeah, no weirding modules
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:34:51 AM EDT
[#33]
View Quote

We got lucky.  I checked the seating chart and no one had booked the disabled row so we moved there.  Had no intention of staring up Christopher Walker’s nostrils.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:32:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Princess Irulan>Chani
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 7:46:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By cyclone:
Princess Irulan>Chani
View Quote

Dune (1984) Princess Irulan was hotter. (Virginia Madsen)
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:51:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FredMan] [#36]

View All Quotes

The hooks lift the segment edge. The worm then tries to roll that lifted edge segment up to keep sand from getting on his sensitive skin under the hard segment shell.

The worm doesn’t want to go under because that will just get sand in there.
Using two hooks the rider can control how the worm rotates and turns, to steer it.

And yeah, they ride it until it’s tired and hop off.

In the book they talk about the southern desert being 11 or 12 worm rides long, because it’s so far.

The Fremen have secretly mastered a way to ride sandworms across the desert.[20] First, a worm is lured by the vibrations of a thumper device. When it surfaces, the lead worm-rider runs alongside it and snares one of its ring-segments with a special "maker hook". The hook is used to pry open the segment, exposing the soft inner tissue to the abrasive sand. To avoid irritation, the worm will rotate its body so the exposed flesh faces upwards, lifting the rider with it. Other Fremen may then plant additional hooks for steering, or act as "beaters", hitting the worm's tail to make it increase speed. A worm can be ridden for several hundred kilometers and for about half a day, at which point it will become exhausted and sit on the open desert until the hooks are released, whereupon it will burrow back down to rest. Worm-riding is used as a coming-of-age ritual among the Fremen
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:05:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Watched it with the missus, who didn't really like Part One, but really enjoyed this release. Maybe because we actually saw it in theater. Holy..  so awesome. Worth the price of admission just to watch the Harkonnen door gunner scenes.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:08:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Fushaw:
I'm late because I was on vacation but just got back from the movie.

Am I the only one who was a little disappointed when the 2nd movie didn't end with the quote from the very end of the first book?

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

They will probably cut it out. Next movie is Dune Messiah.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:15:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Muad:

Yeah man, you did an awesome job of spelling those points out.

Chani's character almost ruins the movie for me...
View Quote

As others have said, Chani was my least favorite part of the movie. I was also confused that it felt like it happened over a few months instead of 4ish years.

I was also expecting Paul to start saying "I dun wan it. She's my queen."

I was hoping for a LOTR ROTK, but..

Still, it was a very good movie.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:18:46 PM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

The hooks open up their skin, the sand irritates the dermas underneath so they rotate away from the sand. That steers the worms. They have energy for a few hundred kilometers, then they get tired.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:21:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Naffenea:

As others have said, Chani was my least favorite part of the movie. I was also confused that it felt like it happened over a few months instead of 4ish years.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Muad:

Yeah man, you did an awesome job of spelling those points out.

Chani's character almost ruins the movie for me...

That was pretty much my takeaway
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:28:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Scalped] [#42]
Does anyone know what scenes were cut with Tim Blake Nelson? I had his face on imdb, and I was asking my wife while driving if that was platoon leader (I just said "the dude") who led his Sardaukars into the fray when the fort door opened? I kept thinking, yeah, he did look a little older lol
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:50:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Tina Guo - DUNE Official Music Video
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:03:40 PM EDT
[#44]

Lol at this.

Lady Jessica's closing words at the end of the novel are some of the most memorable in science fiction.

But not in line with today's gurrll power ideals.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:12:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By cyclone:
Princess Irulan>Chani
View Quote

Both are decent, neither is really hot.

There is small breasted fat chick in Florence Pugh looking to burst out.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 2:23:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Awesome.

Hate that they thought viewers were so dumb they needed to turn Chani into the lecturing woman splaining Karen that's seemingly ever present today, but still awesome.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 5:41:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Bump for mobile... and the weekend.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 5:52:14 PM EDT
[#48]

View Quote

It more than felt like it.
In the book his sister was born, he and Chani had a kid, that kid was slaughtered in a raid, etc.

They really did make the timeline a few months instead of a few years.

It’s really frustrating.

Visually and in every other way, it made Dune real.

Characterization, timeline, etc. was ruinous.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 6:02:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Read the book as a kid, and didn't really get it.

Read it again a few years ago, and I was amazed. It's such a layered, intricate story with allusions to our world while still being fresh and different. I loved it.

I could nitpick various details, but I won't. It's been done. Though not perfect in every way, I thought this film was awesome. The visuals and the cinematography are spot on. I can't wait to see it again.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:36:49 AM EDT
[#50]

I'll say it again. I almost feel sorry for Zendaya.  She played Chani exactly the way Villeneuve wanted her to and she's getting killed for it.  Villeneuve decided rather than have Paul's self-doubts expressed through internal monologue, they would be verbalized by Chani.  

And I can see why.  Internal monologues always suck.  But this turns Chani into a harping bitch.  Could Zendaya played a Chani that was more positive and closer to the book?   We'll never know.
View Quote

Internal monologues suck, but there were so many better ways to do it than turn chani into an anti-colonist indepent girl power protestor. The visions were the right way to go imo. Subtract a few desert camping scenes, make his visions more graphic. Express self doubt in person to person dialogue, and youre there. As it is, bitch chani completely changes how the second book plays out. We're straying into fanfiction now.
Page / 8
Dune Part 2 (Page 7 of 8)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top