User Panel

Dune Part 2 (Page 8 of 8)
Page / 8
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:45:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Snozberry] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Hesperus:

I think the hooks they use tell the worms to go left or right.

That said even if such a thing could exist. I doubt it. If you were riding it like it is shown in the movies then it would probably just submerge. I don't see much reason for the worms to do what any human would tell them. Barring some sort of telepathy. Or the humans having something the worms want.
View Quote

By exposing the sensitive inner membrain of the worm, it remains upright and surfaced to avoid sand irritants per the source material.  This is how you steer as well, though you have to infer A LOT from this movie without the benefit of side notes. I also see it got answered fove times now, lol.

That said, i think they went a little too grandiose with the visuals. It looks like a high casulty method of transport if taken at face value and both my wife and i were wonder how the fuck they got jessicas basket up there. Riding look goddamn awesome as long as you threw away the logistics. 80s dune worms disturbed the sand much less and was vastly more feasible as transport.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:54:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Snozberry:

By exposing the sensitive inner membrain of the worm, it remains upright and surfaced to avoid sand irritants per the source material.  This is how you steer as well, though you have to infer A LOT from this movie without the benefit of side notes. I also see it got answered fove times now, lol.

That said, i think they went a little too grandiose with the visuals. It looks like a high casulty method of transport if taken at face value and both my wife and i were wonder how the fuck they got jessicas basket up there. Riding look goddamn awesome as long as you threw away the logistics. 80s dune worms disturbed the sand much less and was vastly more feasible as transport.
View Quote

There is a reason they don’t show everyone loading up on the worms.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 3:16:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By FishKepr:
Just seated for IMAX.  I made the mistake of booking the lower section.  
View Quote

I actually booked early for an Imax and got great seats. I'd seen Part One in a regular theater a couple of years ago and was  absolutely blown away by the film. So much so, i bought a copy right after. I don't know if this Imax format was just too much or what, but Part Two was just not as enjoyable. Still not sure if it was the format or the film itself.

I plan to check out this second movie in a normal theater.

BTW,  im a big Dune fan. Books and the films.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 3:17:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By _DR:

Dune (1984) Princess Irulan was hotter. (Virginia Madsen)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By _DR:
Originally Posted By cyclone:
Princess Irulan>Chani

Dune (1984) Princess Irulan was hotter. (Virginia Madsen)

Virginia Madsen was absolutely stunning in her prime.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 7:14:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: thezentree] [#5]
Originally Posted By Snozberry:
Just watched Dune pt2 on IMAX and came away from it with mixed feelings.

On one hand there is no questioning the technical aspects of the movie. Cinematography, special effects, soundtrack and the acting are all top notch. If this movie doesn't recieve an aware for that alone, it will be a travesty. On the other, it's the editing and plot choices that give this movie something less than four stars. Some you'll notice and others you won't unless you have the book(s) somewhere in your garage and have seen the 80s movie a number of times.

**Spoilers**

The first, most jarring aspect of the movie is the chemistery between the main characters of Zendaya (Chani) and Chalamet (Paul). Frankly it's shit, primarily due to Zendaya's uncharismatic passive-aggressive attitude toward her relationship with Paul, and it's only made worse with the plot choice to have her factionalized into the anti-white man colonizer camp as opposed to supporting her mate as the would-be messiah. Yes, the more I think on the matter, the more I really do believe that this was a girl-power concession, because the ending radically changes the arc of the canon material. The 80s Chani wasn't a jilteted lover. She was a partner in crime iirc and fully bought into Paul's messiah position as the plot progressed. Moreover, she knew and was okay with the fact that she was always Pauls real lover while the Empress was a paper concubine. I suspected the Zendaya/Chalamet pairing would be shit in the first movie but was hoping they could turn that around. Nope, she's still completely unlikable here as well.

She's no Sean Young in her prime, that's for sure.

Now don't get me wrong-- The 80s material doesn't age well, but the more I compared the two, the more I began to wonder what the hell was Dune Pt2 doing with that 2 hours and 46 minutes of run time versus the 80s movie that clocking in 2:17? For all it's expositional flaws, the 80s movie was paced far better than Pt2 and managed its plot material much better in my opinion. And lets be clear-- The fault specifically lies with Pt2. Pt1 was damn near a master piece. The fall of house Atraties was a masterwork on the topic. The poltical tug of war between the houses, throne, spice guild and sisterhood could have used a bit more attention, but overall, it was great stuff. Part 2 meander needlessly for far too long in the desert. Whereas the 80s material comfortably captured Pauls doubt, installation as a fremin and rise to messiah in the space of two hours, Pt2 squandered its time to the point where some very obvious editing had to be done so that they could squeeze Pauls sudden rise to messiah and sacking of the emperor in a half hour. Compared to the awesomeness of the fall of house atraties, the counter offensive against the emperor felt far less epic and absolutely sandwiched in for run time. I guranatee they could have mined that half hour by cutting out the various scenes of people camping in the desert over and over.

And dem nuclear missiles. LOL.

On the pacing, the decision not to have Aliyah born in this timeframe didn't strike me as bad as I though it as going to be. Originally, having the slightly crazy child kill off baron harkonnen with her super powers was a great bit of fun in the source material and helped illustrate Pauls time amongst the fremin, but on the other, watching mom just mumble to herself and make plans with the girl in her womb was just as wtf diabolical. That said, it means movie one and two happened inside 8 months, whereas the 80s material takes at least three years to get Paul to be a messiah. On that same note, somebody else already noted that Paul seems like a normal person with a cult following. Aside from the voice, there was no Messiah moment or something indicating he was THE ONE. "Oh I know shit about your family" isn't enough IMO. In the 80s material, he made it RAIN. He split Fey open with his voice. The pacing of his rise to sainthood was a constant curve with examples shown, not a sudden, vertical wall of plot to get him there. This Paul seems... Average.

In the end, i'm left conflicted. Part 1 seemed to use its long run time to greater effect while part 2 squandered it on unimportant scenes, resulting in the obvious need for editing down in time. The problem was they chose absolutely the wrong things to trim. Maybe when viewed ogther the whole will make up for the sum of its parts- especially a directors cut version -but that won't fix Zendaya's wholely unlikeable personality and the plot choices they made with her.
View Quote

Thank you for putting into words exactly what I didn’t like about the movie but couldn’t put my finger on.

Part 2 was still good but it did not meet the high expectations that Part 1 set.

Link Posted: 3/30/2024 5:27:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I had to step out briefly. How was Halleck allowed to remain on Arrakis? Something about Halleck making an agreement with someone to mine spice?
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 5:29:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Scalped:
I had to step out briefly. How was Halleck allowed to remain on Arrakis? Something about Halleck making an agreement with someone to mine spice?
View Quote

The way I interpreted that is that he escaped the Harkonnens and was mining spice on the sly and selling it on the black market.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 5:39:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Loved the movie, but Christopher Walken was the wrong cast for emperor .
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:40:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Jacon:
View Quote

CW is like Samuel L., Jeff Goldblum, etc.

They have a persona, if you want that persona that’s what you get.

If that persona is not right for the role, well, that’s what you get.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 5:05:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By gearjammer351:

The way I interpreted that is that he escaped the Harkonnens and was mining spice on the sly and selling it on the black market.
View Quote

That’s the way it was described in the book.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 5:14:01 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

I reckon he was a good choice, his character came across perfectly as the opposite of Paul Atreides in that he was a leader who wasn't, which is why the other houses didn't recognize Pauls claim to the throne as it would mean losing the perks of having a boss who was a pushover.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 5:18:17 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

He was on the run and joined up with some smugglers. The Smugglers aren't on the side of whatever house rules Arrakis. The Navigator Guild allows the smugglers to mine Spice on the sly because it gives a cheaper, alternate source of Melange for them to acquire.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 7:16:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By FredMan:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FredMan:

😎👍

I read the book, but just long enough ago that I don't remember a lot of details.

Usually, that's a good thing with a film adaptation, as it angers me less.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 10:05:53 PM EDT
[#14]

View All Quotes

Ah, that makes sense.

Also, the limited popcorn bucket is selling for $200

https://www.ebay.com/itm/395289149443?itmmeta=01HTE8SBP1NRY39TME7YFFEJNB&hash=item5c0911c003:g:U1gAAOSwfGNl~lSm&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAA0Fjhqi%2BGRz78WQwGs6t7WjZqwUYmDv5WIqmirTByDjkU0%2BuDbEykFa5JJojGpVJvTVJvYGeeOFViKGuz1hLC%2BDkPF6Wn%2BN2bAA4MJdDQHwDSd8R%2Fh5UimFHMKcg%2BmoEjZJlVASn3ONGxsvtBrzk%2FcyBmhPWaDvIPOxIVCFX%2FrWMhwgujW5cm68LZ0HkJPpL86X9F1fJfO6WORLZEZuk0gFtUG1X6De%2Fpl%2BlGH4OnXL3GI7NzYtPVZ5MOoxaZq7fyjTHJH8S0kc9WDG19uT6upZA%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR4q75cjTYw
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 10:08:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By ramairthree:

CW is like Samuel L., Jeff Goldblum, etc.

They have a persona, if you want that persona that’s what you get.

If that persona is not right for the role, well, that’s what you get.
View Quote

I was expecting Poltergeist CW, but we got comedy-mafia CW instead. He can still out-class many younger actors (check his Prime series), so I think he did ok in this one.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 10:28:08 PM EDT
[#16]
I love Walken, but it wasn't a powerful role and they could have cast any good actor that didn't make me think Dune needed more cowbell. My only other gripe was Stilgar almost became comedic role with his giddiness over Paul Atreides being proven to be the Mahdi. Minor gripes, though.

Cinematically, one of the best movies I've ever seen. Denis Villeneuve has done fantastic adaptations of Blade Runner and Dune. He needs to re-do Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit now.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 10:45:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Dumak:
It was okay.

Lots of wasted time of Chani making angry girl faces that could have been used to expand on the lore.

Walken was a horrible emperor.

Part 1 was the better film.

View Quote
Agreed.

They deviated too much from the original and better story line.

I realize that they need to fit it all in a 2:45 movie but they picked the wrong things to cut.

Link Posted: 4/1/2024 10:51:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Is the Ornithopter Harkonnen tech that's just reused on Arrakis? Or are they like the Kalashnikov air asset variant that all Houses use? Technically, this is a Dune Part One question, but after re-watching some clips on Youtube, I'm going down the rabbit hole. Freakin' love how they put door gunners in Part Two.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 11:27:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Is the Ornithopter Harkonnen tech that's just reused on Arrakis? Or are they like the Kalashnikov air asset variant that all Houses use? Technically, this is a Dune Part One question, but after re-watching some clips on Youtube, I'm going down the rabbit hole. Freakin' love how they put door gunners in Part Two.
View Quote

It’s just kind of a helicopter thing. Most houses us them.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 12:46:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cayman_shen] [#20]
Walken was wrong. His space New Yawk accent was jarring. Zendaya had moments, but again her delivery felt "American tomboy, 2024." Which pains me because I find her ridiculously attractive. Nothing about those two felt otherworldly.

Paul's transformation felt rushed, as though some bits were on the cutting room floor.

Losing the last lines of the novel was a travesty. That is one of the all time great conclusions to a story, and to not have Jessica speak them to Chani utterly bummed me out.

Beyond those gripes, I adored the movie, even with some major changes from the book (which might be my all time favorite novel, and I read a LOT).  Unfortunately, the books go off the rails pretty quickly after the original, so ending part 2 of the film where it did made it feel less self-contained. It felt like a cliffhanger, whereas the book felt like it ended on a more conclusive note. (Albeit with lots left to explore.)

Still, DV has made by far the best adaptation yet, and it's not perfect, but it's frustratingly close. Obviously concessions must be made when adapting a book to film. There are some I can live with,  and some that I think were mis-steps, but at no point did I feel the novel had been done a disservice. Nice to have meaty, thoughtful, grown up genre options in the cinema again at any rate.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 1:11:02 PM EDT
[#21]
I didn’t like the previous one but this one was really good
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 5:39:26 PM EDT
[#22]
I hope it isn't 3 years until Part 3.

I started rereading "Dune" again.  Gonna have to read the other "dune" books, since I've only read the original.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 5:56:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Watched it free on the Superbox, pretty good movie but Chani could have been less ugly.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 1:45:15 PM EDT
[#24]
One more thing before this drops into archives.

Honest Trailers | Dune: Part Two

I heard no stories of anyone freaking out in theaters on large doses of psychedelics. I suppose people are more able to handle their spice these days.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 1:47:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Prae] [#25]
View Quote
Halfway through it now and yes you're 100% correct.    I'd have like to seen Donald Sutherland or the Gerald Butler dude.  Better yet maybe Gary Oldman.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 1:55:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Watched Part 2 over the weekend with the wife. Some great visuals and cinematography,  but holy hell was it soooooo drawn out. 2 minutes of story and action and then 15mins of Zendaya and Timotee being over-dramatic. Could have been an hour and a half if it wasn't so broody.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:03:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Sixgunner45:
I hope it isn't 3 years until Part 3.

I started rereading "Dune" again.  Gonna have to read the other "dune" books, since I've only read the original.
View Quote

My opinion is what you paid for it...

I wouldn't bother. The first book has all the magic, and the rest didn't engage me the same way. I gave up after a couple of them.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:06:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Well there were a lot of voiceovers in the 84 version that Villenueve wanted to avoid, so Chani, Stilgar and Jessica expressed what the voice overs described.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:07:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Prae:
Better yet maybe Gary Oldman.
View Quote

Jean-Baptiste Emmanuel Zorg
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 3:16:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Halfway through it now and yes you're 100% correct.    I'd have like to seen Donald Sutherland or the Gerald Butler dude.  Better yet maybe Gary Oldman.
View All Quotes

Good call.

Ed Harris is another I think could've been good. I'm watching 'Westworld' now, and he's good at the intense stuff. That emperor should be intimidating.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 3:37:41 PM EDT
[#31]
They need to stop now. Continuing with Dune into the later books is a bad idea.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:31:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Loved the movie, but Christopher Walken was the wrong cast for emperor.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:41:32 PM EDT
[#33]
finally saw it.  glad i caught it in the theater.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:49:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Wineraner:

His homeworld, where his palace is, and where he gets his Sardaukar, is Salusa Secundus, right? And where he toddles off into exile with Count Fenring at the end of the book.  Kind of glad they trimmed his character from the movie, though it gives evidence for how seriously everyone involved with the breeding program took the work.

Not that the book really goes into detail about any conversations Irulan has with him, that aren't in the epigram/diary entries that lead off each chapter.

Lastly, what's with the Redditor-like tone?  Everything OK?
View Quote
Salusa Secundus was the original Corrino homeworld.   It was nuked at some point in the past and turned into a prison planet (officially) and the Emperor and his family live on Kaitain, a paradise world.  The scenes with the Emperor on his world were on Kaitain

Page / 8
Next Page Arrow Left
Dune Part 2 (Page 8 of 8)
Top Top