BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:45:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Carbs aren't an essential nutrient but there's plenty of evidence suggesting they are ideal to incorporate in to a diet for energy and to maintain muscle mass. If you don't care about muscle mass or having the best energy levels then by all means go keto.
View Quote
I'd be willing to bet I can squat and deadlift more than you, and I've been on keto for 4 months. Post it up bro.

OH yeah, and I did a 5 mile trail run on Sunday.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:47:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

lol
View Quote
Why lol??
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:49:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I gave up sugar and carbs and have lost 12 pounds in about 8 days.  Other than that I've been eating what I want. Have been doing lots of kale and veggies in chicken or beef broth.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:53:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yes it'll pass. I eat less than 50 grams every day and I have zero symptoms. You are probably dehydrated. Pound Powerade zero, Propel, chicken broth. You need sodium and electrolytes.

Really it's just 3-6 days initially. Fully adapted after 2-3 weeks.
View Quote
I ordered this electrolyte: 
Amazon Product
  • Helps restore lost (through sweating) and utilized (through use) electrolytes helping promote a quicker recovery
  • Combines 100 mg of vitamin C with electrolytes (calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium, chloride, zinc, and chromium)
  • Made without gluten and GMOs

Feeling better today. Have a throbbing headache and body chills are gone--I'm just sweating like a hog now.
Guys at work want me to go to Hibachi Express with them.
Instead of rice, I can get extra veggies with my steak teriyaki. 
Only had water and one coffee so far today too.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:54:45 AM EDT
[#5]
All these Pro Carb posters in here need to realize one thing. You eat carbs in any amount higher than what is found in leafy green veggies you ARE prediabetic or diabetic. Until you check your A1C levels you can promote your carbs all you want. Sorry. Humans weren't designed to eat carbs in any other situation EXCEPT to gain weight for winter. And those carbs were in fruits. They weren't in grass (grains) that humans didn't eat because we aren't herbivores. But you guys continue to live in your fantasy land while ignoring the insane amounts of diabetic people and fat people across the world that didn't exist before we started eating carbs.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:58:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Dr Norton is one of the leading sports nutritionists in the world and arguably THE leading protein synthesis expert. He's used his research to build himself into a world record power lifter and pro bodybuilder.

And it's not an opinion piece. It's never an opinion piece when a Doctor publishes a piece in his field, not to mention all the sources cited.

Keto diets were created for people with epilepsy. People jumped on board and it became a fad diet. There's no reason to do it unless you are a natural with very very low body fat and you are trying to get as lean as possible. Sub 10%. It's not viable. It's counter culture. It's like those vegan retards that eat nothing but carbs except not as bad because af least protein and fat are essential.
View Quote
LOL! What is your basis for saying there's no reason to do it? How about cutting fat while maintaining or even gaining strength beyond beginner numbers? That seems like a pretty good reason to me. You don't need to be sub-10% BF to experience that.

How is it not viable? Who cares if it's counter culture?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:59:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I gave up sugar and carbs and have lost 12 pounds in about 8 days.  Other than that I've been eating what I want. Have been doing lots of kale and veggies in chicken or beef broth.
View Quote
Initial weight loss upon cutting out carbohydrates is completely normal, but it is water weight associated with glycogen depletion, not to be confused with fat loss (among other things like less food in the digestive tract, sodium fluctuations, etc). I generally see a shift of about 6lb, but anywhere from 4-12 pounds is pretty normal depending on the individual. This isn't to say that some isn't fat, just that not all (or even most) of that weight is fat. Switch back over and you'll see several pounds come right back, which wasn't fat either.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:01:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Eggs, cheese, pork rind, bacon, sausage, coffee, Powerade Zero, and one Coke Zero/day.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tell us more about your diet.
Eggs, cheese, pork rind, bacon, sausage, coffee, Powerade Zero, and one Coke Zero/day.
Stop drinking chemical crap. Water only, about a gallon a day. Once your body switches from burning carbs to burning fat, you will start feeling better. I do find I am more irritable at times on low carbs.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:01:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
All these Pro Carb posters in here need to realize one thing. You eat carbs in any amount higher than what is found in leafy green veggies you ARE prediabetic or diabetic. Until you check your A1C levels you can promote your carbs all you want. Sorry. Humans weren't designed to eat carbs in any other situation EXCEPT to gain weight for winter. And those carbs were in fruits. They weren't in grass (grains) that humans didn't eat because we aren't herbivores. But you guys continue to live in your fantasy land while ignoring the insane amounts of diabetic people and fat people across the world that didn't exist before we started eating carbs.
View Quote
I can lay no claim to what humans were designed for in regards to their diet, I am not God.

However, I can point you to research that carbs are used for anabolic reasons.  It seems everyone only cares about the catabolic aspect, and disregards the anabolic side of the insulin response. 

And to the last point, plenty of Asian cultures have survived and stayed trim on heavy carb diets.  Well, until recently, but the reason for that is not pertinent to this discussion.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:04:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Initial weight loss upon cutting out carbohydrates is completely normal, but it is water weight associated with glycogen depletion, not to be confused with fat loss (among other things like less food in the digestive tract, sodium fluctuations, etc). I generally see a shift of about 6lb, but anywhere from 4-12 pounds is pretty normal depending on the individual. This isn't to say that some isn't fat, just that not all (or even most) of that weight is fat. Switch back over and you'll see several pounds come right back, which wasn't fat either.
View Quote
This brings up something that should be pointed out, make sure you stay hydrated when making the switch.  

Most people fail at this aspect when new to keto. 
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:13:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Get some green veggies in you. Avocados, lettuce (not iceberg), spinach are your friend.
View Quote
What's the downside to iceberg? 
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:15:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What's the downside to iceberg? 
View Quote
There's nothing wrong with iceberg lettuce.

There's also nothing right with it either. It is devoid of any nutritional value. It's like celery without the fiber.
Still, it's not going to hurt you.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:43:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

There's also nothing right with it either. It is devoid of any nutritional value. It's like celery without the fiber.
View Quote
I've been eating a buttload of iceberg and cabbage. I usually fry up some bacon and jalapenos to put with it. I put some blue cheese dressing on the lettuce. The cabbage gets fried up with the bacon and I usually add some curry powder and greek yogurt to it. 

I find it's easier to keep carb intake down than it is to keep protein intake down. 

I'm trying to keep my carb intake under 28g per day. I'm doing 80% fat, 5% carbs, & 15% protein. I'm also keeping total calories at about 50% of what my BMI indicates as 'required'. 
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:47:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Dr Norton is one of the leading sports nutritionists in the world and arguably THE leading protein synthesis expert. He's used his research to build himself into a world record power lifter and pro bodybuilder.

And it's not an opinion piece. It's never an opinion piece when a Doctor publishes a piece in his field, not to mention all the sources cited.

Keto diets were created for people with epilepsy. No they weren't. Fasting was discovered to have drastic effects on seizures, and keto was known to have allowed people to mimic the effects of fasting, while still getting the necessary nutrients for life.  The seizure testing at John's Hopkins 100 years ago that you're speaking (wrongly)  about were horrible concoctions of individual ingredients and chemicals bearing no resemblance to the modern Keto diet.  What actually brought it to modern times was Banting's paper.  Continually being wrong doesn't help any of your other cases. People jumped on board and it became a fad diet. There's no reason to do it unless you are a natural with very very low body fat and you are trying to get as lean as possible. Sub 10%. It's not viable. It's counter culture. It's like those vegan retards that eat nothing but carbs except not as bad because af least protein and fat are essential.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:49:24 PM EDT
[#15]
You have keto flu. Congrats. Your diet is working.

It will leave in a few days.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:49:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've been eating a buttload of iceberg and cabbage. I usually fry up some bacon and jalapenos to put with it. I put some blue cheese dressing on the lettuce. The cabbage gets fried up with the bacon and I usually add some curry powder and greek yogurt to it. 

I find it's easier to keep carb intake down than it is to keep protein intake down. 

I'm trying to keep my carb intake under 28g per day. I'm doing 80% fat, 5% carbs, & 15% protein. I'm also keeping total calories at about 50% of what my BMI indicates as 'required'
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm trying to keep my carb intake under 28g per day. I'm doing 80% fat, 5% carbs, & 15% protein. I'm also keeping total calories at about 50% of what my BMI indicates as 'required'
Ive found I can't get anywhere close to the dietary caloric intake the charts say I'm supposed to have. I'running on internal fat all day. As far as I can tell, I'm still getting all of my caloric requirements. I just get them internally. Some days I eat a lot, others I eat a little, and sometimes I don't eat. I still don't get hungry. I'm still getting my calories from somewhere. Just not diet.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:55:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Carbs aren't an essential nutrient but there's plenty of evidence suggesting they are ideal to incorporate in to a diet for energy and to maintain muscle mass. If you don't care about muscle mass or having the best energy levels then by all means go keto.
View Quote
I've been on keto for 8 weeks and I've added 150lbs to my squat.

You don't know what you're talking about. Ketones are the body's primary muscle sparing signal, eating a deficit on glucose signals famine.

For 99.9% of human history people called this fad diet "winter". Carbohydrates are only available in quantity seasonally in nature. Eating a harvest diet cradle to grave is a fad and it's working out really well, just look at people.

OP, iodized lite salt.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:01:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I'd be willing to bet I can squat and deadlift more than you, and I've been on keto for 4 months. Post it up bro.

View Quote
Unless you just started training 6 months ago, I'd be willing to bet the majority of your strength came from before the diet.

That is not to knock keto; I think it has its place depending on body type/goals. Just saying this isn't a valid defense of it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:06:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Concerning the statements of "Carbs are a necessity" or "you NEED carbs".  I put those statements in the same category as:

" Ya know,  if you file down the firing pin, your AR will go full auto"
or
" Just rack that shotgun and bad guys will shit themselves".  

OP.  Sounds like you have Keto Flu.  It will pass just tough it out.  And dump that diet soda shit.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:08:44 PM EDT
[#20]
I love the confirmation bias and correlation = causation when it comes to diets.
I eat A and can do X, therefore my ability to do X is because I eat A.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:15:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I love the confirmation bias and correlation = causation when it comes to diets.
I eat A and can do X, therefore my ability to do X is because I eat A.
View Quote
Most of those responses tend to be posted after unfounded statements that doing keto will make you unhealthy and weak. So, its not confirmation bias. It's personal experience used as evidence against the unsubstantiated claims about the alleged negative impacts.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:50:55 PM EDT
[#22]
OP, I am going through the same thing again ( )as a moment of weakness left me out of Ketosis for the last couple weeks. (New Orleans )

You'll get through it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:58:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I can lay no claim to what humans were designed for in regards to their diet, I am not God.

However, I can point you to research that carbs are used for anabolic reasons.  It seems everyone only cares about the catabolic aspect, and disregards the anabolic side of the insulin response. 

And to the last point, plenty of Asian cultures have survived and stayed trim on heavy carb diets.  Well, until recently, but the reason for that is not pertinent to this discussion.  
View Quote
I am not God either, but I certainly know that humans weren't making bread and eating cereal and fucking candy bars or loading up on pasta 5k years ago and I imagine that they were a hell of a lot healthier than someone who does. And don't give me the nonsense about us living longer now. The only reason we live longer now is our medical advances.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:11:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I am not God either, but I certainly know that humans weren't making bread and eating cereal and fucking candy bars or loading up on pasta 5k years ago and I imagine that they were a hell of a lot healthier than someone who does. And don't give me the nonsense about us living longer now. The only reason we live longer now is our medical advances.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not only that, but the fruit available to us before modern science helped us develop monsterous super fruits was barely capable of providing any sugar at all. In addition to being available only seasonally, it was small and didn't provide anywhere close to the sugar content of modern fruit.

Here's What Fruits And Vegetables Looked Like Before We Domesticated Them

I was pretty shocked by what corn and peaches looked like wild.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:23:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That doesn't make it ideal. Bro science isn't real science. As I already posted, the science says you are better off with carbs. I don't give a shit what you squat and deadlift. No pro power lifter is doing keto. None. Here's more info from another PHD. Why does everyone want to ignore science and the industry experts when it comes to nutrition? Keto, vegan, Atkins, it's all fad diets.

https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/ugly-truth-about-ketogenic-diets

"Low carbohydrate ketogenic diets decrease the ability to perform high intensity work, due to decreased glycogen muscle stores and the lower activity of glycolytic enzymes, which is evidenced by a lower lactic acid concentration and a maximal work load during the last 15 minutes of the high intensity stage of the exercise protocol."
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:24:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Scientific evidence says you're wrong... very wrong.
View Quote
I try to stick below 25. I struggle with it because I freaking love chips. But other than the occasional splurge that's about where I stay. I dropped a few spare pounds pretty quick (I'm fairly athletic in build as it is) and now I pretty much maintain
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:26:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm not sure what any of this has to do with what I stated.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:28:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
The Greeks mention baked bread products as far back as A.D.170.

Actually we don't live much (if any) longer now than we did a thousand years ago.
The difference in "life expectancy" between now and then is primarily due to infant and child mortality rates dropping significantly, there's also the dirty little secret of high infanticide rates (post-birth abortion so to speak) that our ancestors practiced pretty regularly.
If we factored in current abortion rates to modern life expectancy numbers we'd be right back to averaging what we were a thousand years ago.
Once humans made it to 10 years old or so we've always had a good run of it up into our 80's to 100 or so.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:34:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
Christ dude, eat a fucking vegetable.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:43:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Keto diets were created for people with epilepsy. People jumped on board and it became a fad diet. There's no reason to do it unless you are a natural with very very low body fat and you are trying to get as lean as possible. Sub 10%. It's not viable. It's counter culture. It's like those vegan retards that eat nothing but carbs except not as bad because af least protein and fat are essential.
View Quote
Thanks for shutting that guy up with that bitch slap.  This is the problem with Keto, it's like a cult, or like crossfit.  It's morphed into a social identity where people think they've taken the red pill and know better than everyone else (which of course appeals in particular to egotistical people), and have to virtue signal loudly all the time.  The truth is a lot more gray than they would believe, but they are so intent on starting with their conclusion and trying to fit the evidence to it (the opposite of scholarly activity), they dismiss anything and everything else.  It's pathetic.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:53:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That doesn't make it ideal. Bro science isn't real science. As I already posted, the science says you are better off with carbs. I don't give a shit what you squat and deadlift. No pro power lifter is doing keto. None. Here's more info from another PHD. Why does everyone want to ignore science and the industry experts when it comes to nutrition? Keto, vegan, Atkins, it's all fad diets.

"Low carbohydrate ketogenic diets decrease the ability to perform high intensity work, due to decreased glycogen muscle stores and the lower activity of glycolytic enzymes, which is evidenced by a lower lactic acid concentration and a maximal work load during the last 15 minutes of the high intensity stage of the exercise protocol."
View Quote
You dont have to eat carbs every day to do a glycogen Refeed. A few bowls of plain oatmeala week would do it depending on activity level.

Keto can be a very successful diet for you average couch potato because the two primary sources for calories in the American diet are sweetened grain based desserts and yeast breads.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:54:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Thanks for shutting that guy up with that bitch slap.  This is the problem with Keto, it's like a cult, or like crossfit.  It's morphed into a social identity where people think they've taken the red pill and know better than everyone else (which of course appeals in particular to egotistical people), and have to virtue signal loudly all the time.  The truth is a lot more gray than they would believe, but they are so intent on starting with their conclusion and trying to fit the evidence to it (the opposite of scholarly activity), they dismiss anything and everything else.  It's pathetic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is a way of eliminating/controlling addictive behavior. Same as AA with alcoholics can't drink one drop or Dave Ramsey with Credit Card debt.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:58:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I try to stay out of GD nutrition and fitness threads because it's always so backwards from what science and the professionals say. I understand the appeal of wanting to jump on something trendy but damn, it gets bad here.

I have the same issue with vegan cyclists and a trend that's growing to basically eat nothing but carbs. These guys will make a raspberry smoothie and pour a cup of sugar in it. They are all super thin of course so they therefore think it's the best option. Many of them leave out the fact that they are on testosterone because their hormone levels are so jacked from lack of fat but hey, let's leave out the stuff that doesn't fit your narrative right?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:00:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Started keto April 1. Down 23lb as of this morning. Feel great. Lots of water. I refill 3-4 liter bottles every night for the next day. Morning coffee is black. (or butter coffee  mmmmmm)

Pickle juice is def a great sodium booster. Now I just say it's part of my diet, instead of being that weird ass who drinks pickle juice

The loosey gooseys go away.

This website has some awesome recipes. The raspberry bark and peanut butter fudge fat bombs are awesome. Dorketos (doritos subs) weren't bad either
42 keto recipes

Being single, most recipes last a few days, so finding ones I like is sometimes a PITA.
The pork rind tacos recipe (more like a gordita / pancake) was also awesome, and reheated well.

One of my go to quick meals is this:
Sausage browned and crumbled(jimmy deans natural sausage ground)
add some onion while browning and a clove of garlic or 2
add some kerrygold butter (2tblspn) and some diced up cabbage (1cup?) and let that wilt a bit
fry 2 eggs or however you like em to top.

breakdown:
eggs                                      14 fat  2 carbs
sausage                                  34 fat  0 carbs
onion and garlic (1/3 c onion)               5 carbs
cabbage (1cup)                                  4 carbs
butter                                    23 fat

total :
71g fat and 11 carbs

Usually fills me up and I don't get hungry again till 5pm or so. Then I can pop 1-2 fat bombs (the raspberry ones are about 23g fat/3carbs ea)for dinner and be where I want to be for my intake for the day.
Maybe a snack of a few slices of bacon in between

For the sugar substitute, use Erythritol itstead of some other substitutes you may seen suggested in recipes,
   "In the body, most erythritol is absorbed into the bloodstream in the small intestine, and then for the most part excreted unchanged in the urine. About 10% enters the colon. Because 90% of erythritol is absorbed before it enters the large intestine, it does not normally cause laxative effects, as are often experienced after consumption of other sugar alcohols (such as xylitol and maltitol),[9]
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:06:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not trying to start anything, but to be honest, thenuge came into a low carb diet thread and talked about how it was wrong, so ...
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:13:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Not trying to start anything, but to be honest, thenuge came into a low carb diet thread and talked about how it was wrong, so ...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.

This thread was not a gathering of non-believers being invaded by prosthelytizing keto disciples.

It is a keto thread. OP asked a very specific question about keto, which he is already doing. Nobody asked about the merits of keto, yet here come all the detractors to talk about how much it sucks.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:17:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Been doing the Keto diet for just under 5 months. Down 80 pounds went from 46inch pants to 36 and 3xl shirt to a large.   The diet works if you stick to it and don't cheat at all. 
First couple weeks were rough for me. I kept my carbs under 20 a day for the first couple months and my body got used to it. 
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:19:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Exactly.

This thread was not a gathering of non-believers being invaded by prosthelytizing keto disciples.

It is a keto thread. OP asked a very specific question about keto, which he is already doing. Nobody asked about the merits of keto, yet here come all the detractors to talk about how much it sucks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.

Except that the OP never mentioned keto. At all. Just that he was doing low carb and was tired. So I dunno, maybe eat some more carbs? There is an official keto thread too. Pretty sure OP would post there if it was specifically about keto.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:21:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
There are many PHDs on both sides of the carb issue. There's also a lot of studies that support the keto argument, and the balance is shifting rapidly away from low fat/high carb.

Keto is a tool, it isn't the only way to get results, but it gets results. For people with insulin resistance and/or metabolic disorders it addresses directly it gets seemingly miraculous results and those people are naturally going to be excited about it. I can get lean and strong on pretty much any diet that's halfway balanced with enough effort, but I've never gotten the results I've gotten on Keto any other way.

My wife, OTOH, struggled beyond belief until she found keto, she was gaining weight on what should have been a deep caloric deficit and her health was deteriorating rapidly. For her, it was a life-changing discovery, and having a thin, happy, healthy, energetic wife was for me too.

Some people will never open the pathway to burn bodyfat without forcing the issue by completely depleting glucose at some point, some people will develop insulin resistance even when active and thin on continuous glucose, others don't.

As for the powerlifting argument, well sure, you'd want to carb up for that, just like you'd carb up right before a physique. OTOH the couple who hold the record for CA to HI in a rowboat did it entirely on keto, and finished WEEKS faster than anyone else has, and there are many athletes that utilize keto whether they carb load for competition or not.

What works for people on gear and HGH, actively managing insulin and so on, professional anything really these days, isn't really relevant to everybody else, and that's been a huge problem in fitness science for decades now.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:21:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Get some electrolytes in you. The keto/atkins flu has been linked to not enough electrolytes, which causes the funky feeling.

Drink a fuck ton of water, then drink some more (don't forget to increase your salt intake).

Get some green veggies in you. Avocados, lettuce (not iceberg), spinach are your friend.
View Quote
Most of the electrolyte/sports drinks have an inordinate amount of carbs too.  Put himilayan pink salt on your food and/or mix regular salt with water.  Take a magnesium supplement as well.

This combo worked for us when we started.  It gets better and you soon forget the crummy feeling at the start once the weight starts to disappear.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:25:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Except that the OP never mentioned keto. At all. Just that he was doing low carb and was tired. So I dunno, maybe eat some more carbs? There is an official keto thread too. Pretty sure OP would post there if it was specifically about keto.
View Quote
He posted from the middle of his keto flu what everyone who's ever done keto knows is what keto flu feels like.

In a week or two we all know he'll feel better than he has probably in decades.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:28:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Exactly.

View Quote
exactly.  These idiots are wading into threads where people have lived it.  I've been told by anti Keto people " i don't care if you've lost 125lbs, gotten off all meds, and improved every health marker, I've been fit all my life, so i know Keto doesn't work".

The list of Pro Athletes,  MDs, and PHDs I followed is much more impressive and accomplished than any they've listed.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:37:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
Bro Science isn't real science, and then you link T-nation? Seriously, that's retarded logic right there. Again, post up your lifts. I'm not a pro powerlifter, nor do I claim to be, nor do I want to be. I think most powerlifters are fat and unhealthy. I guess you are a cyclist? Yeah, for you, do whatever you want. But when I look at my family tree, and every single person in my family struggles with being overweight or obese- think maybe a change is in order?

Keto is just a "fad diet" that's been around for over 100 years. Atkins is over 40 years old too. What's your area of expertise in this issue? Or do you just google search stuff to try and justify your position.
Your body can improve it's ability to use fat for energy.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:40:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

You dont have to eat carbs every day to do a glycogen Refeed. A few bowls of plain oatmeala week would do it depending on activity level.

Keto can be a very successful diet for you average couch potato because the two primary sources for calories in the American diet are sweetened grain based desserts and yeast breads.
View Quote
I think this is the real reason ketogenic diets 'work'. No carbs take out the biggest source of calories for the average obese American.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:49:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I think this is the real reason ketogenic diets 'work'. No carbs take out the biggest source of calories for the average obese American.
View Quote
Well, this definately helps.  However, imo the biggest reason is because of how physically and mentally satisfying fats and protein are.  Carbs seem to be fillers, but dont hold you over too long.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:50:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
Fat is over double the caloric density of carbs.   The reason it works is based in hormones,  specifically insulin,  but a few others as well.

High insulin levels are good for bulking.  Low insulin levels are good for cutting. That's why undiagnosed type 1 diabetics generally have extreme weight loss despite caloric intake.  They make no insulin.   And why most type 2 diabetics are fat. Because they make too much insulin as a result of insulin resistance, that happened due excessive need.  From consuming too many carbs.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 4:36:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
And why most type 2 diabetics are fat. Because they make too much insulin as a result of insulin resistance, that happened due excessive need.  From consuming too many carbs.  
View Quote
It has been a while but I remember reading that type 2 problem was the absence of the initial insulin spike.  The resulting absence of an energy spike led to over consumption, which led to fatty acids that cause insulin resistance.  

Especially true with refined carbs that are energy dense and easy to over consume.

This is why drugs that restore the insulin spike result in weight loss in type 2 diabetics.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 4:42:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
The irony of all this is that the very worst diets, the ones responsible for the plethora of modern ills - are the ones most recommended as "healty" by the medical community, starting with the fake fat/hydrogenated oil scam that started in the early 1900's, to the "eat all the smartwell cookies you want" low fat fad of the '90's. 

A "carb" (I hate referring to food in baby talk by the way) is nothing more than an energy constitute. There is food that has "carbs" but also has vitamins as well, but the actual carbohydrate, whether it be a simple sugar, or a starch (which is just a chain of simple sugars) is not a nutrient.

Fats ARE a nutrient, as is cholesterol. They are a precursor to things like hormones, cell membranes, and the brain and nervous system. As a matter of fact, your body actually makes its own cholesterol and it's regulated by something called "feedback inhibition".

The inflammation pathway, which is controlled by 2 or so different prostaglandins, is controlled by fatty acids as well.

Our diet is rich in omega 6, not so much in omega 3. There are also triglycerides of various chain lengths that are important and affect cardiovascular health among other things.

Tldl: fat is useful for more than just energy, carbohydrates not so much.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 4:47:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
It has been a while but I remember reading that type 2 problem was the absence of the initial insulin spike.  The resulting absence of an energy spike led to over consumption, which led to fatty acids that cause insulin resistance.  

Especially true with refined carbs that are energy dense and easy to over consume.

This is why drugs that restore the insulin spike result in weight loss in type 2 diabetics.
View Quote
no.  Simple hyperinsulinemia.  Base insulin levels often higher than the spike in normal people.  I've seen my numbers in the lab.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 5:08:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
They ate more than just heavy carbs. 

What they didn't eat was fake fats. And "recently" is very pertainent to this discussion. There is obviously something different between? recent  and past diets. 

Another problem with your statement is the premise. You are only assuming all Asian cultures lived a long healthy life. 

On the contrary, in ancient China, the climate in the central plains was warmer and moister than today. They changed from hunter gatherer to agriculture, their primary source of food was millet, which accounted for half their caloric intake. Their diet was suppliments by wild plants and domesticated animals including dogs and pigs and stuff.

"In a typical graveyard almost 19 percent of the dead were under 15 years of age, and 54% had died between the ages of 20 and 40"

Page 22 of "China a history. Volume 1. From Neolithic Cultures through the Great Qing Empire.

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top