Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:40:01 AM EDT
[#1]
You'll feel like crap for the first couple days, it'll pass once your body adjusts to not having all the sugar (carbs) you are used to.
add in some veggies, they are good you.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:40:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You know nothing about nutrition. Keto is a fad diet that you've clearly hopped on. Listen to the scientists and guys that really know what they are doing. No serious athlete does keto, there's a reason for that
View Quote
Ultra marathon runners (100 miles) have been breaking records using Keto.  

My observation is that keto tends to be a great at low end (aerobic)...but you lose top end power (anaerobic).   Others have different experiences, all depending on their ratios of macronutrients and overall intake.  I've lost 50lbs with it and I feel great.  Fats, carbs, protein affect people differently when it comes to insulin response and a million other things.

In other words, a proper diet is never a one size fits all solution.

OP...it will get better-much better.  Take a swig or two of pickle juice!
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:41:32 AM EDT
[#3]
This is not uncommon.

Start a supplement regimen:

250mg Magnesium Glycinate
50mg potassium twice daily
More salt than you think you can tolerate.
And of course, a gallon of water a day

I had some pretty scary cardiac issues a couple of weeks into my diet.  Electrolytes cleared it right up.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:43:00 AM EDT
[#4]
I've eaten low carb for going on 9 years now. It definitely gets better...what you're going through is somewhat normal. Some get these symptoms worse than others.  I felt it more in my head, super forgetful, kind of like living in a fog for 3 weeks.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:49:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It's easier for the body to get energy from sugar than fat. That's why the body will jump on the opportunity to use sugar when it's there.
View Quote
So one might say that SUGAR is the preferred energy source?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:50:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Science

"The low-carb guys go beyond what you can achieve with good genetics and extensive training," Volek said. "The high-carb runners were very healthy, and were awesome fat burners by conventional standards -- yet their peak fat burning is less than half that of endurance athletes eating low-carb diets. This shows that we have far underestimated how much fat humans can burn. There is a large reserve capacity that can only be tapped if carbs are restricted.
"So far, this has been a grassroots movement. Athletes on their own have been going against the grain, so to speak, and experiencing a lot of success. I think it's mainly taken off in the ultra-endurance world because the self-perceived benefits are so high there, but many other athletes competing in a variety of events and various sports teams are experimenting with carb restricting," Volek said.

Another key finding: Despite their low intake of carbs, these fat-burning athletes had normal muscle glycogen levels -- the storage form of carbohydrates -- at rest. They also broke down roughly the same level of glycogen as the high-carb runners during the long run, and synthesized the same amount of glycogen in their muscles during recovery as the high-carb athletes.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:51:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
a FAD?  LOL.

Seriously, if you're gonna just post links to try and make your arguments, you need to verify your sources.  There is a TON of science that supports a keto diet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know nothing about nutrition. Keto is a fad diet that you've clearly hopped on. Listen to the scientists and guys that really know what they are doing. No serious athlete does keto, there's a reason for that.

"The first reason being that carbohydrates are much more muscle sparing than fats during times of stress when glucose becomes a primary source of fuel (i.e. anaerobic exercise, injury, infection, etc). The muscle sparing effects of carbohydrates occur via several different mechanisms. When the body is in a low energy state, it may try to produce energy by converting amino acids to glucose. Carbohydrates prevent this since they can be easily broken down (and converted if need be) to glucose molecules. Carbohydrates then spare dietary protein from oxidation and these proteins can be stored rather than oxidized.Carbohydrates are also very muscle sparing during exercise. When one lifts heavy weights, the primary pathway that is used to produce ATP (cellular energy currency) is the anaerobic or glycolytic pathway (as the name implies this pathway operates in the absence of oxygen). The only substrate for this pathway is glucose, which can be obtained from dietary carbohydrates or by breaking down glycogen (the cell’s stored form of glucose)."

Dr Layne Norton

http://www.simplyshredded.com/layne-norton-the-most-effective-cutting-diet.html
a FAD?  LOL.

Seriously, if you're gonna just post links to try and make your arguments, you need to verify your sources.  There is a TON of science that supports a keto diet.
But, but his link was from a website called "simplyshredded"!  Who wouldn't take that as the gospel?  

No way in hell I'd visit a site like that but I'm sure there are all kinds of nice popups for Tapout shirts and flatbill hats.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:52:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
No.

The body burns sugar, then stores fat for later.. thus why you gain weight.  You cut sugar, you go straight to burning fat.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:52:32 AM EDT
[#9]
I've been going low carb for about a month now, down 9 lbs. Moving right along, my only issue is that I miss carbs.

At this rate I should hit my target in about 45-60 days. 
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:53:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Sure.  Which is why it's much more difficult to burn fat while you're ingesting sugar with every meal.  Easy and best are often very different things.  

More science.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:55:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You know nothing about nutrition. Keto is a fad diet that you've clearly hopped on. Listen to the scientists and guys that really know what they are doing. No serious athlete does keto, there's a reason for that.

"The first reason being that carbohydrates are much more muscle sparing than fats during times of stress when glucose becomes a primary source of fuel (i.e. anaerobic exercise, injury, infection, etc). The muscle sparing effects of carbohydrates occur via several different mechanisms. When the body is in a low energy state, it may try to produce energy by converting amino acids to glucose. Carbohydrates prevent this since they can be easily broken down (and converted if need be) to glucose molecules. Carbohydrates then spare dietary protein from oxidation and these proteins can be stored rather than oxidized.Carbohydrates are also very muscle sparing during exercise. When one lifts heavy weights, the primary pathway that is used to produce ATP (cellular energy currency) is the anaerobic or glycolytic pathway (as the name implies this pathway operates in the absence of oxygen). The only substrate for this pathway is glucose, which can be obtained from dietary carbohydrates or by breaking down glycogen (the cell’s stored form of glucose)."

Dr Layne Norton

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why would you do that? Carbs are the body's preferred source of energy and help keep muscle. If you are limiting calories keep it balanced. Hit your protein and fat goals and fill the rest with carbs. I'm down 25lbs in 2.5 months and I ate 300g of carbs yesterday.
Yeah. . . . . . . . . . no.  Please read the science in the Official Keto Thread.  

OP: you sound like you're on the unfortunate end of the keto flu spectrum.  For me, it was 4-5 days of low energy.

Actually, you might actually have the real flu. . . . . Or you may have been a candidate for a transition, rather than cold turkey.

In any case, not only does it get better-- EVERYTHING gets better.  

Jettison the diet coke and powerade.  Replace with chicken broth, or find another way to up your salt intake. Get a blood glucose/ketone meter, or start with ketostix for urine testing.

Dr Layne Norton

Weird, I've had way more energy since I started cutting carbs 3-4 years ago.

I do a lot of long, high intensity rides on the bike and was initially worried about the impact of low carbs, but was surprised that I actually got faster after a while.

Do a few endurance events a year and place pretty high most of the time. Took first in the solo division of a 72 mile hybrid road/mtb race a few months back (at 50 some of the competitors were over 20 years younger). So people can cut carbs and still be very serious athletes (not saying I'm one of those).  
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:56:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Weird, I've had way more energy since I started cutting carbs 3-4 years ago.

I do a lot of long, high intensity rides on the bike and was initially worried about the impact of low carbs, but was surprised that I actually got faster after a while.

Do a few endurance events a year and place pretty high most of the time. Took first in the solo division of a 72 mile hybrid road/mtb race a few months back (at 50 some of the competitors were over 20 years younger). So people can cut carbs and still be very serious athletes (not saying I'm one of those).  
View Quote
Clearly this is just a fad, and you have no idea what you're talking about.... I read it on simplyshredded.com
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:56:46 AM EDT
[#13]
I would add more vegies,...

Different artificial sweeteners work well in different things.  Sucralose for sweet tea, Splenda for cheesecake,.. etc.. etc..

Low Carb cheesecake from cheesecake factory is about 11g effective carbs.  You can cut it in half for a human sized piece of cheesecake too.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:59:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Yes about day 5 then after two weeks you don't want any carbs.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:00:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You are eating less than 20 grams of carbs a day?   That is not healthy.
View Quote
user name is ironic.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:01:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Carbs aren't an essential nutrient but there's plenty of evidence suggesting they are ideal to incorporate in to a diet for energy and to maintain muscle mass. If you don't care about muscle mass or having the best energy levels then by all means go keto.
View Quote
No,  there isn't.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:03:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Dr Layne Norton

View Quote
making shit up and quoting bad sources doesn't help your case.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:06:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Drink some pickle juice.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:10:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You are eating less than 20 grams of carbs a day?   That is not healthy.
View Quote
Bullshit.

I've been doing fewer than 10 per day on the vast majority of days since early January. Sometimes I might creep up to 20, but not often. I'm doing great by all typical measures of health.

Down about 44 pounds.
BP down.
Energy up.
Improved sleep.
No hunger.
Improved training endurance.

I never got keto flu. The missus got it for about 3 days.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:18:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Bullshit.

I've been doing fewer than 10 per day on the vast majority of days since early January. Sometimes I might creep up to 20, but not often. I'm doing great by all typical measures of health.
View Quote
Mind sharing your meal plans and/or recipes? Wife and I are struggling a bit to keep <20, but we both like vegetables
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:40:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Mind sharing your meal plans and/or recipes? Wife and I are struggling a bit to keep <20, but we both like vegetables
View Quote
Do you use MyFitnesspal.com that helps A LOT in tracking your calories and macros, also helps with finding food.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:45:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
making shit up and quoting bad sources doesn't help your case.
View Quote
Layne Norton is far from a bad source.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:49:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Facts say otherwise.   Anyone trashing keto is ignorant at best.  Some are just stupid, and others have an agenda.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:54:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Facts say otherwise.   Anyone trashing keto is ignorant at best.  Some are just stupid, and others have an agenda.
View Quote
What facts are you using to dispute Dr. Nortons research article?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:06:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
What research article?  I saw an opinion piece
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:08:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Do you use MyFitnesspal.com that helps A LOT in tracking your calories and macros, also helps with finding food.
View Quote
Not to sound all hipster and shit, but I used MFP before oakley or whoever bought them out, when it was free. now that they charge a fee to do anything beyond basic lookup, i gave them the bird and went elsewhere.

I do check nutrition info on google for veggies and the like, but was only going off a running total in my head. Got a simple macro tracker last night, opened my eyes a bit as to actually how few cals and fat I was eating - promptly changed that by eating 3 eggs with a small avocado, bumped me right up to closer where I needed to be. Ended up 200 cals below goal, but I was still off on fat by about 30g.

I'm checking out that cronometer.com website thing, see if it's worth the $6 a month sub or not. if the wife gets on board with using that, i can justify the yearly/monthly cost of using that.

Fat is the hardest for me to come across right now. We were doing fat bombs, and that seemed to be working really well. Then we ditched them, I started drinking liquor and diet sodas, and I started gaining weight. But now that I'm actually tracking macros, I'm finding I actually do need at least 1, maybe 2 fat bombs a day to hit my target. I cut out the diet drinks and liquor as well, save it for a weekend type thing.

So tonight I get to make a nice batch of fat bombs so I can hit my target. And maybe some sausage balls, because those are tasty
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:12:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Your body is use to using carbs as it's fuel. I assume you are on a high fat diet which is actually the bodies preferred fuel of choice. Being it's used to using carbs/sugar, the shaking and chills is probably hypoglycemic shock. Yes it will get better once your body switches to using fat as fuel, and it shouldn't take long. The body is smart.
View Quote
lol
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:15:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Not to sound all hipster and shit, but I used MFP before oakley or whoever bought them out, when it was free. now that they charge a fee to do anything beyond basic lookup, i gave them the bird and went elsewhere.

I do check nutrition info on google for veggies and the like, but was only going off a running total in my head. Got a simple macro tracker last night, opened my eyes a bit as to actually how few cals and fat I was eating - promptly changed that by eating 3 eggs with a small avocado, bumped me right up to closer where I needed to be. Ended up 200 cals below goal, but I was still off on fat by about 30g.

I'm checking out that cronometer.com website thing, see if it's worth the $6 a month sub or not. if the wife gets on board with using that, i can justify the yearly/monthly cost of using that.

Fat is the hardest for me to come across right now. We were doing fat bombs, and that seemed to be working really well. Then we ditched them, I started drinking liquor and diet sodas, and I started gaining weight. But now that I'm actually tracking macros, I'm finding I actually do need at least 1, maybe 2 fat bombs a day to hit my target. I cut out the diet drinks and liquor as well, save it for a weekend type thing.

So tonight I get to make a nice batch of fat bombs so I can hit my target. And maybe some sausage balls, because those are tasty
View Quote
What are in these fat bombs? 
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:21:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit.

Just to be clear, I'm counting net carbs, not total. So fiber gets taken out of the equation.

Also, I typically only eat once a day; which I've been doing for more than 15 years even when not doing a variant of HFLC. That makes it easier to keep carbs in check.

We rely heavily on eggs, fatty meats like St. Louis cut ribs, bacon, LOTS of leafy greens (we go through tons of spinach), sausage, salmon, buffalo wings when eating out, you get the picture. We eat a lot of salads with full fat dressing. If we stick to the basic ingredients without a lot of sauces, we get next to 0 net carbs. We shopped carefully for dressings that have extremely low carbs, like Ken's Bleu Cheese. We're so low on carbs that we don't hesitate to add onions and tomatoes to our salads. We also make frittatas regularly, incorporating a good mix of the above ingredients. Even avocados won't drive the carbs too high when you factor in the fiber content.

Sides and snacks tend to be where the hidden carbs are. The might sneak up on you in cheeses, too. But you can do fine if you find the right type. Pork rinds have become my best friend for snacks. Zero carb awesomeness. .
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:25:31 AM EDT
[#30]
The more you start to talk about and preach about your diet the better it gets.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:32:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I mean, Norton is a professional bodybuilder, professional powerlifter, and a PhD in Nutritional Sciences. But other than that yeah I'm sure he's pretty ignorant of how sports nutrition works.

*not a Keto advocate, no dog in the fight.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:34:06 AM EDT
[#32]
I dropped 35 pounds since Jan on the first diet in my life. Most of which happened in 3 months. No program, pills or weird diets. Went from 222 to 187. I think I am in my target range now but I dont really know what that is.
I may go down a few more pounds but essentially I am done. The outcome is I feel better and I have to buy all new pants/shorts.
I just ate less. The biggee was no more snacking, especially at night after dinner. Now I am use to eating less. On weekdays I eat a minor breakfast and lunch then a good dinner. On weekends I eat a hogging breakfast and dinner because I am so active. All good food. No more sweets , fast food, pop or doritos. Otherwise I eat everything I have my whole life.  My only snack type food (eaten with meals) is plain potato chips but a med sized bag lasts me and my wife a week. I know at this point I can occasionally have a piece of cake or pie but it freaks me out enough that I have not. The shining light in my plan is I have not altered my drinking one bit. 1-3 beers after work and more on weekends. NOT LITE BEER. Any tasty beer I want. Now that winter is over and exercise is picking up I find that I must eat more to feel "right" so I am definitely much more in tune with my body.
I dont plan on ever being fat again.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:34:40 AM EDT
[#33]
More salt, more water, give it 2 weeks.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:37:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I mean, Norton is a professional bodybuilder, professional powerlifter, and a PhD in Nutritional Sciences. But other than that yeah I'm sure he's pretty ignorant of how sports nutrition works.

View Quote
And there are people with just as, and more impressive histories, with much longer histories,  that disagree.  

And since few Arfcommers are pro body builders or can put in that level of activity,  the article is even less relevant.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:41:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Mostly coconut oil and butter if what my wife tells me is true lol. I like the chocolate/peanut butter one. Uses 100% cocoa and some PB, the rest is coconut oil, maybe some cream cheese, and butter. Very tasty, very filling.

Quoted:

Just to be clear, I'm counting net carbs, not total. So fiber gets taken out of the equation.

Also, I typically only eat once a day; which I've been doing for more than 15 years even when not doing a variant of HFLC. That makes it easier to keep carbs in check.

We rely heavily on eggs, fatty meats like St. Louis cut ribs, bacon, LOTS of leafy greens (we go through tons of spinach), sausage, salmon, you get the picture. We eat a lot of salads with full fat dressing. If we stick to the basic ingredients without a lot of sauces, we get next to 0 net carbs. We shopped carefully for dressings that have extremely low carbs, like Ken's Bleu Cheese. We're so low on carbs that we don't hesitate to add onions and tomatoes to our salads. We also make frittatas regularly, incorporating a good mix of the above ingredients. Even avocados won't drive the carbs too high when you factor in the fiber content.

Sides and snacks tend to be where the hidden carbs are. The might sneak up on you in cheeses, too. But you can do fine if you find the right type. Pork rinds have become my best friend for snacks. Zero carb awesomeness. .
We also do net carbs as well.  About the only way I find that you can eat some vegetables without going over limits.

I work a desk job, and get bored easily, so I find I need at least a lunch to keep me going. Otherwise I stare at the clock and just get hungrier

I'll pass this onto the wife, see if she'd be up for eating more pork. Thanks a bunch for the input
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:44:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
you can just google recipes. They are a concentrated way to get a shit ton of fat. My wife made 3 kinds, one coconut chocolate bomb that was shredded coconut soaked in butter and coconut oil, add some dark chocolate.

She also did a peanut butter one that has peanut butter, regular butter, and a little chocolate

my favorite are the ones she made out of butter, erethrol (or whatever that sweetener is called) and chips. tastes like a cookie and a spoon full kept me full for 4 hours.

as far as what you are in, i'm there now. I started a week ago. drink a ton of water, just eat pink salt on everything. Today is the first day I've gotten a headache, but I peed every 15 minutes for the first 3 days. I'm down 10 pounds and dropping fast. I'm sleeping better, no heart burn, and generally in a better mood too.

good luck!
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:44:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
It is an article, based on research, with 17 sources cited.

Regardless of the definition of research article, what exactly are you disputing about it and what facts do you have that refute it?

I'm not against keto diet, especially for the obese looking to lose weight, I think it is excellent for that.  However, carbs are not the devil and have some outstanding functions in regards to weight lifting.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:46:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
There's all sorts of recipes for them.

These are super simple.. I've made them numerous times.   http://www.butterisnotacarb.com/chocolate-fat-bombs/
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:48:27 AM EDT
[#39]
Whenever you eat super healthy as a shift in eating habbit you will get the sickness that comes with it, and if you go back you'll also get it.

It won't get easier, but at least you'll get over that threshold of not feeling well.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:53:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Youre fine, keep going.
go take a nap. once your body adjusts you gtg.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:56:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
How low carb are you going? Around 50 a day, or less than 20 a day?

Every time I've ever went below 20 a day I get constipated.
View Quote
I'm on a max of 20 carbs a day, but often go much lower.  The trick I've found is Amstel Xlight and/or Mich Ultra.  (2 and 2.6 carbs respectively)

I never experience the ill feelings, just the occasional desire for dessert

I've dropped more then 50 lbs and am getting close to my ideal weight...

feels great and my energy levels are good - except for the foot surgery I just had, which is frustrating me because I cannot get out and do stuff.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:58:46 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's easier for the body to get energy from sugar than fat. That's why the body will jump on the opportunity to use sugar when it's there.
It's not preferred. It's easier. Those are not synonyms. The easy way isn't always the best way.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:00:00 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Powerade Zero, and one Coke Zero/day.
View Quote
Nix that shit.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:23:03 AM EDT
[#44]
Keto, paleo, wahtevahhh diet = crossfit for people with no self control.
It's only cool if you tell everybody else how great it is.

I just go out of my way to eat high fat, high protein, low sugar, low carb.
I don't count calories and the only time I look at nutritional labels is if it's some processed, pre-packaged convenience food that I think might have some "hidden" carbs or sugar.
On the rare occasion we eat out I just go for a grilled meat entree and veggie sides but if there's rice or potatoes I don't freak out I just eat 'em in moderation.
When I'm outside grilling i've been known to have a few beers (no lite shit beer for me either).
About once a week I have a nice tumbler of rum on ice.
The way I track my calorie intake? I eat when I'm really hungry and I never eat until I feel full. That's it. I'm always a "little hungry".

I'm 47 and according to my last physical I'm in "phenomenal shape". At 6'2" I've been between 165# and 185# since the '80s.
I compete in BJJ tournaments, do Muay Thai (welterweight 170#) and train with our MMA fighters 6 hours a week in the gym.
On non-gym days I mountainbike and/or do a kettlebell routine.

Being slim and fit isn't fucking rocket surgery.
Don't eat shit you know is bad for you.
Eat a healthy, balanced diet and calories in should be equal to or less than calories expended for the day.
Do some exercise to tone what you have and keep your heart and lungs in shape.

Fuck these diets that require a phone app to track your macros or have you going through DT shakes.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:23:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
And there are people with just as, and more impressive histories, with much longer histories,  that disagree.  

And since few Arfcommers are pro body builders or can put in that level of activity,  the article is even less relevant.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't disagree with a lot of that. I've always leaned more towards Lyle McDonald personally. But either way Dr Norton has likely forgotten more about sports nutrition than anyone here will ever know.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:28:38 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Fuck these diets that require a phone app to track your macros or have you going through DT shakes.
View Quote
Everyone has different goals and reasons.

I track my workouts and macros so I can track progress and know exactly where I am at and can make changes as needed.  

My goal is to reach a 2x bw bench though and to do that I have to track carefully.  If your goals are to just remain healthy and active, no real reason you have to track things meticulously.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:36:56 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dr Norton is one of the leading sports nutritionists in the world and arguably THE leading protein synthesis expert. He's used his research to build himself into a world record power lifter and pro bodybuilder.

And it's not an opinion piece. It's never an opinion piece when a Doctor publishes a piece in his field, not to mention all the sources cited.

Keto diets were created for people with epilepsy. People jumped on board and it became a fad diet. There's no reason to do it unless you are a natural with very very low body fat and you are trying to get as lean as possible. Sub 10%. It's not viable. It's counter culture. It's like those vegan retards that eat nothing but carbs except not as bad because af least protein and fat are essential.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:39:58 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I track my workouts and macros so I can track progress and know exactly where I am at and can make changes as needed.  

My goal is to reach a 2x bw bench though and to do that I have to track carefully.  If your goals are to just remain healthy and active, no real reason you have to track things meticulously.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

I've tracked so I can become better tuned into the correlation between eating and activity versus results on the scale and clothes fitting. After a while, you know what you've had without checking. You can eyeball your intake and be almost spot on through experience. At first, I looked at it as a necessary tool to teach myself what the parameters were.

Now that I've got the feel for it, I don't sweat it so much. Once I'm at my target weight, I'll stop tracking and eat based on what I've learned while trying to get there.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:43:00 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
So I've been on low carbs since Sunday. Yesterday afternoon, I started having real bad body chills that was almost flu like.
I came home from work and I just went straight to bed. Also feeling nauseous, and I'm squirting like a goose too.
Please tell me this will pass. No more body chills, but I'm sweating like a hog now though.
View Quote

Yes it'll pass. I eat less than 50 grams every day and I have zero symptoms. You are probably dehydrated. Pound Powerade zero, Propel, chicken broth. You need sodium and electrolytes.

Really it's just 3-6 days initially. Fully adapted after 2-3 weeks.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:43:32 AM EDT
[#50]
It's so easy to track why wouldnt you? Otherwise you have no idea how many calories you are eating and what your macro breakdown is.

That's where people say o this diet didn't work. It didn't work because if you eat 5k calories a day of "healthy" food you are still going to stay fat.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top