Site Notices
Page / 89
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 1:25:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
he simply forced a hard fork to get the money back -- retroactively --
View Quote
You bragged up in that thread from last year about having read the whitepapers, etc.

You're really gonna come in here with that bullshit?  Tells me you don't have the slightest clue about decentraliztion.

And to be clear, this has nothing to do with Ethereum or other project for that matter.

The only thing the devs can do for any of these projects, is write code, compile it, and offer it up to the community as binaries (or let the community compile it themselves -- it is open source, afterall).

From there, it's up to the miners and users to choose to run said binaries, or not.

Nobody can force anybody to do anything.

So please, let's stop with the butthurt FUD.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 1:41:08 PM EDT
[#2]
@SimonPhoto

Since you seem to be the most knowledgeable here of how it works,
how would you explain the concept to someone who doesn't know anything about it?

A coworker is extremely skeptical, and thinks the creator can rig the system.

Can you dumb it down, because I don't know enough about the inner workings to explain it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 5:14:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I have e mental hangup with BTC that makes me not want to buy any since I don't want to pay for an entire coin/unit. On the other hand, I don't want to get any if I can't have a whole bitcoin.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 6:24:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
@SimonPhoto

how would you explain the concept to someone who doesn't know anything about it?

Can you dumb it down, because I don't know enough about the inner workings to explain it.
View Quote
The Wikipedia article is a good place to start these days.

Bitcoin isn't a piece of software like you normally think about it - it's a protocol. More than 50% of miners have to agree to any change made to the algorithm that creates new coins, else they will end up mining on a different "fork" of the blockchain. This consensus-based approach is most of what made Bitcoin special when it came out; it was the first large-scale deployment of a system that solved the Byzantine Generals' Problem, which in short means that there is no "central authority" in the Bitcoin network.

Satoshi Nakamoto is the presumed pseudonym of the creator of Bitcoin. No one is even sure if Satoshi is/was one person or a group of people. Even if he were to pop up today, he would have no more technical ability to change how Bitcoin works than I do, because of the novel consensus model above.

As for the protocol itself, the best way to think of it is as a bunch of actors whose interests are balanced against each other:
* people making transactions want to use the lowest possible fee; miners want to make as much money as possible from fees. There are a limited number of transactions per block, therefore those with the highest fees get included first.
* a block is found whenever a miner finds a value for which the hash is a number less than a certain value. That value is reset every so often (as specified in the protocol), so as more people with more powerful computers join in mining, it gets just hard enough to find a block that one is only found every ten minutes (on average).

Finally, the "blockchain" itself is a list of all transactions that have ever taken place on the network. It's impossible to hide a transaction, as the act of transacting makes it public. This makes it completely impossible for someone to deny or reverse a transaction.

There are theoretical attacks that are possible against Bitcoin. One, that was once successful, is to create a large number of transactions for very small amounts (e.g. "dust"), thereby filling up the available space for transactions and bringing things to a halt. This was solved years ago by establishing a minimum transaction size, which makes it economically infeasible to do again. Another is a "51% attack", where an individual actor controls over 50% of the mining power on the network. This is a valid threat, but requires either a cartel of miners (which has thus far proven to be impossible to assemble) or something like the NSA deciding to throw billions - with a "b" - of dollars of computing power against the network to overwhelm it. The more miners there are in the world and the better their equipment is, the higher the barrier is to making this happen. What's more, the cost to execute a 51% attack is significantly more than could be gained by compromising the entire network.

As for breaking the cryptography itself, first of all, if you are able to do so then you'd make a lot more money hacking banks; they use the same algorithms. Second, Bitcoin uses two unrelated hash algorithms to protect transactions (SHA256 and RIPEMD-160). Both of these would have to be broken before the Bitcoin network can be compromised.

There is obviously more to it, and I've skimmed over some details in this description, but I tried to hit all the high points and counter the typical arguments from ignorance. Let me know if I can go into more detail about anything.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 6:27:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have e mental hangup with BTC that makes me not want to buy any since I don't want to pay for an entire coin/unit. On the other hand, I don't want to get any if I can't have a whole bitcoin.
View Quote
Why not buy a milliBit (mBTC) instead?

... or maybe 10,000 satoshis?
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:23:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I knew ol' Josh would show up in here with his Ethereum butthurt.  It's okay Josh, you can still make money.  But instead you'll continuing holding on to those bags of LTC.  LOL

You want to stalk about a shitcoin now?  Let's talk about LTC.  Charlie Lee (you do know how he is, right?!) is one of the biggest pump 'n dumpers there is.

The fact that he works for Coinbase and Coinbase actually listed that piece of crap is just shameful.  Can you say conflict of interest?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETH is a shitcoin run by people who have no business anywhere near something like it.

Why in the fuck coinbase bought in I cannot fathom.
I knew ol' Josh would show up in here with his Ethereum butthurt.  It's okay Josh, you can still make money.  But instead you'll continuing holding on to those bags of LTC.  LOL

You want to stalk about a shitcoin now?  Let's talk about LTC.  Charlie Lee (you do know how he is, right?!) is one of the biggest pump 'n dumpers there is.

The fact that he works for Coinbase and Coinbase actually listed that piece of crap is just shameful.  Can you say conflict of interest?
How much premining was done with LTC?
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:24:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You bragged up in that thread from last year about having read the whitepapers, etc.

You're really gonna come in here with that bullshit?  Tells me you don't have the slightest clue about decentraliztion.

And to be clear, this has nothing to do with Ethereum or other project for that matter.

The only thing the devs can do for any of these projects, is write code, compile it, and offer it up to the community as binaries (or let the community compile it themselves -- it is open source, afterall).

From there, it's up to the miners and users to choose to run said binaries, or not.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
he simply forced a hard fork to get the money back -- retroactively --

Not fud. You're a well known shill with financial interests here.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:08:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks like it will exceed $2,000/BTC tonight.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:23:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Bitcoin isn't a piece of software like you normally think about it - it's a protocol. More than 50% of miners have to agree to any change made to the algorithm that creates new coins, else they will end up mining on a different "fork" of the blockchain. This consensus-based approach is most of what made Bitcoin special when it came out; it was the first large-scale deployment of a system that solved the Byzantine Generals' Problem, which in short means that there is no "central authority" in the Bitcoin network.

Satoshi Nakamoto is the presumed pseudonym of the creator of Bitcoin. No one is even sure if Satoshi is/was one person or a group of people. Even if he were to pop up today, he would have no more technical ability to change how Bitcoin works than I do, because of the novel consensus model above.

As for the protocol itself, the best way to think of it is as a bunch of actors whose interests are balanced against each other:
* people making transactions want to use the lowest possible fee; miners want to make as much money as possible from fees. There are a limited number of transactions per block, therefore those with the highest fees get included first.
* a block is found whenever a miner finds a value for which the hash is a number less than a certain value. That value is reset every so often (as specified in the protocol), so as more people with more powerful computers join in mining, it gets just hard enough to find a block that one is only found every ten minutes (on average).

Finally, the "blockchain" itself is a list of all transactions that have ever taken place on the network. It's impossible to hide a transaction, as the act of transacting makes it public. This makes it completely impossible for someone to deny or reverse a transaction.

There are theoretical attacks that are possible against Bitcoin. One, that was once successful, is to create a large number of transactions for very small amounts (e.g. "dust"), thereby filling up the available space for transactions and bringing things to a halt. This was solved years ago by establishing a minimum transaction size, which makes it economically infeasible to do again. Another is a "51% attack", where an individual actor controls over 50% of the mining power on the network. This is a valid threat, but requires either a cartel of miners (which has thus far proven to be impossible to assemble) or something like the NSA deciding to throw billions - with a "b" - of dollars of computing power against the network to overwhelm it. The more miners there are in the world and the better their equipment is, the higher the barrier is to making this happen. What's more, the cost to execute a 51% attack is significantly more than could be gained by compromising the entire network.

As for breaking the cryptography itself, first of all, if you are able to do so then you'd make a lot more money hacking banks; they use the same algorithms. Second, Bitcoin uses two unrelated hash algorithms to protect transactions (SHA256 and RIPEMD-160). Both of these would have to be broken before the Bitcoin network can be compromised.

There is obviously more to it, and I've skimmed over some details in this description, but I tried to hit all the high points and counter the typical arguments from ignorance. Let me know if I can go into more detail about anything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@SimonPhoto

After reading the wiki it doesn't sound like these things are safe anywhere at all. if a person were to buy say bitcoins what is the best way to keep them secure ? most general cpu users do not have the skills to fend off hackers who want their coins.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:25:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

After reading the wiki it doesn't sound like these things are safe anywhere at all. if a person were to buy say bitcoins what is the best way to keep them secure ? most general cpu users do not have the skills to fend off hackers who want their coins.
View Quote
Trezor or Ledger Nano hardware wallets
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:37:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Assuming you have about what you would normally keep in PayPal, leave them in Coinbase. The next step in complexity would be a "Coinbase Vault", which is basically a plain 'ole paper wallet.

> most general cpu users

Out of curiosity, what do you think a CPU is?
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 1:10:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Assuming you have about what you would normally keep in PayPal, leave them in Coinbase. The next step in complexity would be a "Coinbase Vault", which is basically a plain 'ole paper wallet.

> most general cpu users

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

> most general cpu users

CPu is the processor but what most people mean when they say cpu is your computer.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 7:20:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Not fud. You're a well known shill with financial interests here.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/20/2017 8:04:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

CPu is the processor but what most people mean when they say cpu is your computer.
View Quote
I have literally never heard someone say CPU when referring to their computer as a whole.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 12:24:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have literally never heard someone say CPU when referring to their computer as a whole.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've heard Boomers call a desktop tower the "CPU", but I've never heard it used to refer to a computer in general. That's why I asked.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 10:37:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Bitcoin's over 2k now.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 10:40:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Bitcoin's over 2k now.
View Quote
Is this the part we laugh at everyone who said "Too late to buy it now that it's at $1800"?
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 10:47:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Is this the part we laugh at everyone who said "Too late to buy it now that it's at $1800"?
View Quote
Yeah. But that's been going on since the beginning.

Bitcoin will never match fiat
Bitcoin will never pass silver
Bitcoin will never hit $1000
Bitcoin will never pass gold
Bitcoin will never hit $2000
>we are here

I was tracking from early days, but made a mistake and didn't get in BTC till near 1k. Won't make that mistake with Ethereum.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 12:52:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 6:47:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yeah. But that's been going on since the beginning.

Bitcoin will never match fiat
Bitcoin will never pass silver
Bitcoin will never hit $1000
Bitcoin will never pass gold
Bitcoin will never hit $2000
>we are here

I was tracking from early days, but made a mistake and didn't get in BTC till near 1k. Won't make that mistake with Ethereum.
View Quote
I just wish I had a way to actually buy some. Coinbase is garbage and circle doesn't accept my card.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 7:01:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I just wish I had a way to actually buy some. Coinbase is garbage and circle doesn't accept my card.
View Quote
Why exactly doesn't Coinbase work?
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 7:09:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Why exactly doesn't Coinbase work?
View Quote
I gave up after several failed attempts to upload my ID ("blocked for 24 hours!") and several failed attempts to connect my credit card ("Your CCV number is wrong!").
There appears to be no customer support network whatsoever. I blew them off after three days.

Edit to add: The above are the error messages at coinbase.
If it is this hard to actually buy some, how am I possibly supposed to spend any? I just wanted to buy some jerky and have a few units of a potential future currency.

@woodsie
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 8:34:09 AM EDT
[#23]
The solution is simple.  Those who believe that bitcoin is going to increase in value should buy it.

Those who believe it is going to crash, should short it.

Many things have been used as money, from shiny pebbles to cigarettes to huge stone coins.  Even Czarist rubles were used in the Soviet Union for a while in preference to rubles issued by the Soviet gov't.  (So much for the theory of the superiority of fiat).

So, with all of the advantages that bitcoin offers over shiny pebbles, cigarettes, huge stone coins, and obsolete currency, why does any one think it won't survive?
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 1:54:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I gave up after several failed attempts to upload my ID ("blocked for 24 hours!") and several failed attempts to connect my credit card ("Your CCV number is wrong!").
There appears to be no customer support network whatsoever. I blew them off after three days.

If it is this hard to actually buy some, how am I possibly supposed to spend any? I just wanted to buy some jerky and have a few units of a potential future currency.

@woodsie
View Quote
Don't know what to tell you.  I had an easy time signing up, buying, selling, and spending via Coinbase.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 2:10:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

@woodsie
View Quote
Coinbase and itbit were both seamless for me. Try itbit
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 2:36:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've hear plenty that do.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 3:04:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Bought into Digibyte the other day. Holding on to it for long term.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 7:41:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

@woodsie
View Quote
Although I do have a functioning Coinbase acct, I agree that the process needs to get much more user-friendly before BTC will ever be commonplace.

I understand the security concerns, but it IS a hassle to establish a method to get some cryptocurrency.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 7:47:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Although I do have a functioning Coinbase acct, I agree that the process needs to get much more user-friendly before BTC will ever be commonplace.

I understand the security concerns, but it IS a hassle to establish a method to get some cryptocurrency.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@woodsie

The only reason I have a cell phone is because I wanted to trade bitcoin.

Yes, it can be a bit of a hassle for some of us.  It took me a long time and a lot of study before I took the plunge.  Now, I am glad that I did.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 9:21:18 AM EDT
[#30]
This may be the only time that Arfcom has ever MADE me money, lol. Bought 1 ETH using coinbase and I'm actually up about $50.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 9:38:56 AM EDT
[#31]
I'll keep investing in bourbon. Too lazy for bitcoin
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 12:02:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
This may be the only time that Arfcom has ever MADE me money, lol. Bought 1 ETH using coinbase and I'm actually up about $50.
View Quote
I bought 2 for the hell of it because of this thread.

Paid $90 each. They're up to $174 now.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 12:04:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Watch Granpda Topple An Empire By Changing 1 To 0 | Rick And Morty Season 3 (2017)
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 12:23:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where did you buy?

Kraken is apparently being swamped, it times out constantly.

Coinbase seems to suck and says I exceeded attempts to add accounts on the first try.

Gemini is now taking a week to approve my account.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 12:25:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Where did you buy?

Kraken is apparently being swamped, it times out constantly.

Coinbase seems to suck and says I exceeded attempts to add accounts on the first try.

Gemini is now taking a week to approve my account.
View Quote
I already had a Coinbase account (for BTC), so it was easy.

I agree that establishing an account seems unnecessarily difficult.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 12:40:41 PM EDT
[#36]
$2269 now.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 12:42:47 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm thinking a big dip in both is coming, people will want to do.skme profit taking
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 12:44:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Dump your Bitcoin for Dogecoins!
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 12:45:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Not just a dip, but a crash. It's my fault. I sold some gold and bought some btc
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 12:46:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Why the fuck is bitstamp so jacked up?  I've been waiting a week for account verification.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 12:54:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'm thinking a big dip in both is coming, people will want to do.skme profit taking
View Quote
I would normally agree but I said those words when Eth hit 40.00USD.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 12:57:05 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm starting to get anxious about the price of Bitcoin - it's going up too fast to be sustainable, and therefore there will be a correction in the near future.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 1:07:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I would normally agree but I said those words when Eth hit 40.00USD.
View Quote

This was the run-up for the new project partner announcement, I didn't expect too many to want to cash out ahead of the reveal. Now that it's been made public, no reason not to cash out some gains.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 3:43:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I messed around with the idea when it was $87, should have know that price was a sign to fo. Then I fent at $117
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 4:06:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Anyone seeing what is going on with the block chain? Some angry people out their in Internet land.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 4:13:09 PM EDT
[#46]
All your Bitcoin mine
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 4:13:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 4:13:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Anyone seeing what is going on with the block chain? Some angry people out their in Internet land.
View Quote
Got a link?

Never mind, you already posted it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 4:15:42 PM EDT
[#49]
I feel fairly confident that Rick would love crypto currency.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 4:18:47 PM EDT
[#50]
$100 of BTC in 2010 equals $75 Million now. 

LINK
Page / 89
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top