Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 5/5/2017 6:59:04 PM EDT
Attachment Attached File

So, I'm marrying FW_wife very shortly, and had a crazy idea for a party gift - 80% lowers.  Since the cheapest I can get plastic 80% lowers from EP Armory is around $40/ea shipped, that's way too expensive.  Boris' Fruity Ghost offered a solution, but sample has found mold making a bit more difficult than the very experienced Boris let on.  So, I took the easy way out, and ordered a 5x pour kit and mold from AR15Mold.com.

If you order the refills from AR15Mold.com, you're paying about $25 per homemade plastic lower, albeit you get some small metal reinforcement in the rear of the receiver.  However, in the Fruity Ghost thread and the previous AR15Mold.com thread, the chemical composition of AR15Mold.com's formula was sussed out, meaning I might be able to cast lowers for as little as $3 in materials, while 80% lowers might run me 2-3 times that.  That's 4x the number of 80% for every EP Armory 80%.

We're only 20 days out from the wedding, so I don't know that I'll be able to cast enough 80% lowers for all the guests.  However, what do guests at a wedding wanna do?  They wanna drink.  And they wanna eat.  We're past Easter, so chocolate bunny rabbits are hardly to be found, unless w/o their ears.  But I have a virgin mold, and a wedding coming up, so why not chocolate 80% lowers?

Taking the Sinister and picking up dinner for FW_wife, so gotta run before I post pics of unboxing the mold, but I'll put them up later.

Rear takedown pin detent channel pin removed:

Attachment Attached File

The front takedown pin detent channel pin:

Attachment Attached File

Safety detent channel pin:

Attachment Attached File

Hammer pin coming out:

Attachment Attached File

All external metal pins out, right side of the mold with the front of the lower to the right.

Attachment Attached File

@sample has worked pretty extensively on the Fruity Ghost project, and has pointed out several times to me that it's very difficult to think in negative space.  When you see pics of the open mold in the following posts, you'll be able to see how the lower fits in there, but it's difficult to figure out how all the internal voids of our AR are formed.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 7:07:30 PM EDT
[#1]
If you spoon out the FCG as you eat it. Does it become a firearm?

In Ma, NY, and Ca. I'm sure this is a felony.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 7:18:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Congrats dude

Also remember to melt the chocolate on a double boiler, or use a big glass bowl on top of a pot of simmering water.  Depending on the mold material, I'd consider warming it up to 100f or so (put in a ziplock and run under a hot tap or the like) so the chocolate stays molten enough to flow smoothly through the mold.  I'd probably spray the mold with a light dusting of PAM or similar to work as a release agent as well.  Otherwise you might be chipping chocolate out of it later.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 8:54:41 PM EDT
[#3]
You think PAM is safe to use on that mold, or should I use butter?
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 8:57:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got dinner in the oven right now. An 80% chocolate lower for dessert sounds awesome.

I think you have a great idea, and it will be fun as hell at the wedding.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 10:24:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Apparently you're supposed to remove the bolts first.  They're 7/16":

Attachment Attached File

The front take down pin - says to remove by prying it out w/ a screwdriver, but it took pliers to pull it out:

Attachment Attached File

Left side of the mold.  You'll note the clever buffer pin retainer detent channel pin that locks the buffer tube channel mold in place.  Why is that steel rod poking through the triggerguard?

Attachment Attached File

With the pistol grip screw in place, that perfectly forms the threads for the pistol grip screw - b/c it's a screw.

Attachment Attached File

Right side of the lower w/ the takedown and safety detent pin channel pins in place:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 10:27:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Terminator movie potential there where the terminator grabs the AR and bites a big chunk of it out.  

Spew!  Ach! milch shockolade!  
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 11:40:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm just waiting for your next topic to be; how to make a lower from the tree you've been meaning to cut down anyway...

In for interest.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 11:45:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:  I'm just waiting for your next topic to be; how to make a lower from the tree you've been meaning to cut down anyway...

In for interest.
View Quote
Where have you been?  That was done ages ago...

AR lower - from wood!

Sadly, they're down @ the moment.
 Back up:

Lemme find another link...

Here's a Google cache of the page, but of course all the pics are on Weaponeer.  Hope we come back up soon...

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:jGWGIKb3Vj4J:www.weaponeer.net/forum/forum_posts.asp%3FTID%3D8035%26PN%3D1%26TPN%3D2+&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Seriously, an insane Alaskan was really bored one not-summer, and milled an AR lower from a 0% block of pine.  He got 3 shots off before it jammed b/c the front takedown lugs had broken off.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 11:52:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You think PAM is safe to use on that mold, or should I use butter?
View Quote
PAM won't hurt that mold. You're also gonna want to set the filled mold in the freezer for a while to solidify good before you try to un-mold it. 

I'm guessing you're looking at 1 1/2 to 2 hours for each chocolate lower. Start to finish. 
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 12:08:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Where have you been?  That was done ages ago...

AR lower - from wood!

Sadly, they're down @ the moment.  Lemme find another link...

Here's a Google cache of the page, but of course all the pics are on Weaponeer.  Hope we come back up soon...

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:jGWGIKb3Vj4J:www.weaponeer.net/forum/forum_posts.asp%3FTID%3D8035%26PN%3D1%26TPN%3D2+&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Seriously, an insane Alaskan was really bored one not-summer, and milled an AR lower from a 0% block of pine.  He got 3 shots off before it jammed b/c the front takedown lugs had broken off.
View Quote
LMAO, While I already knew it had to have been tried, I'm somehow not surprised you knew exactly where to look to show it. Pine is too knotty, a nice Mahogany or Red Oak might have been a better choice. hahaha
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 12:15:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, he could've chosen a better wood, but he was just practicing w/ his mill before his 80% lowers arrived.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 12:33:07 AM EDT
[#12]
So - I'm no chef.  Am I literally just melting lots of Hershey chocolate bars, and then just pouring it in?  Or do I have to mix something together?

If I get the chocolate too hot, will it separate?

I'm thinking on the production versions, I'll leave the magwell block out, so the magwell will be solid - that will prevent us from having to knock it out.  But I'm going to do the 1st one w/ it in there, and if we have to, we'll eat it out.  (yes, this is full of jokes)

I'm also wondering about Rice Krispies.  On one pour, I'd like to have Rice Krispies in there to make it crunchy.  I know sample wants me to put pecans in it, but that's only b/c I hate pecans.  I could see putting peanuts in it.  I wonder if I could freeze some peanut butter in a magazine, then knock it out & use peanut butter as the magwell block?  I've got a flush fit 5 round ProMag...  (Chocolate treats!  Now w/ trace amounts of lead!)

If a child @ the wedding chokes on the chocolate, have I violated Texas law by allowing a minor to injure himself w/ a firearm?  Should we keep toothpicks away from it lest someone make a machinegun?

If we put an arm brace on it and someone shoulders it, do we have to preserve the evidence or can we still eat it?

Do I have to engrave a serial number before anyone else can have a bite?

Should I mail one to Tech Branch and wish them a Merry Christmas, or ask them if it's a firearm?
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 12:43:54 AM EDT
[#13]
If that mold is Delrin Pam shouldn't affect it. I would put the mold in the refrigerator for a bit before you pour the chocolate and for several hours after you pour. Hersey bars will work just fine but you can also buy chocolate that is specifically for melting to make chocolate candies, my wife uses it to make almond joy candies. I made her some candy molds from teflon.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 12:46:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Google double boiler before you start melting.  You're gonna want to tap on the mold to knock out the air bubbles as it cools.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 1:04:02 AM EDT
[#15]
OST
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 1:22:50 AM EDT
[#16]
https://www.righttobear.com/AR15-80-Lower-Receiver-Cerro-Forge-W-Safet-p/80raw.htm?CartID=1

too lazy to hot link
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 1:26:42 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm surprised that there isn't already Chocolate AR15 lowers being sold online.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 10:50:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:  https://www.righttobear.com/AR15-80-Lower-Receiver-Cerro-Forge-W-Safet-p/80raw.htm?CartID=1

too lazy to hot link
View Quote
http://www.righttobear.com/AR15-80-Lower-Receiver-Cerro-Forge-W-Safet-p/80raw.htm

$32 is a great price on a 80%, but I think mine will taste better.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 11:01:38 AM EDT
[#20]
This is a great wedding gift idea.
Tag for the results.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 12:12:33 AM EDT
[#21]
What would the best liquid to use to determine the internal volume of the mold w/o the FCS pocket block in it?  FW_wife suggested vegetable oil.  Maybe ice cream?  Make an AR smoothie?

Might could make an ice cream AR as well...
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 12:18:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Might could make an ice cream AR as well...
View Quote
Ice cream melts too quick.

BTW, liqour filled AR lowers FTW!
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 12:20:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Corn syrup.  Fairly viscous but still easy to measure.  Plus it'll give you a feel for pouring chocolate, since they are fairly similar pour wise.  Edit:  Plus it cleans with hot water.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 12:28:32 AM EDT
[#24]
I want one!
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 12:47:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Well, I used vegetable oil.  Took lots of pics, which I won't get up tonight.  Washed it down with soap and hot water.  Turns out I did far more work than I needed to, but good practice and good pics of the various parts and how they fit.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 12:51:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Right side of the mold:

Attachment Attached File

Our measuring medium - vegetable oil.  The odd looking part is the reinforcing metal supplied w/ the kit, available for $6 ea from AR15Mold.com.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Our measuring cup is not precise enough to measure the volume of the steel insert:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 10:52:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Attachment Attached File

2 & 1/4 lbs of milk chocolate.  Minus a little nibble.  Quality control, you know.

So - legal question.  If I make a complete chocolate lower, and give it to an FFL - and they eat it, what will the disposition be in their records?  Eaten?
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 10:59:46 PM EDT
[#28]
No $200 tax stamp for this but the diabetes can catch you:

Link Posted: 5/14/2017 10:59:58 PM EDT
[#29]
In
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 11:08:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 11:31:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Well, I used vegetable oil.  Took lots of pics, which I won't get up tonight.  Washed it down with soap and hot water.  Turns out I did far more work than I needed to, but good practice and good pics of the various parts and how they fit.
View Quote
Shouldn't need more than a slight surface film, but hey that'll do too.

Just remember that you can mix rice krispies, coconut, etc into the chocolate for reinforcing the lower. 
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 11:33:42 PM EDT
[#32]
View Quote
What is that, 9mm
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 11:39:06 PM EDT
[#33]
OST!
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 11:43:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:  Shouldn't need more than a slight surface film, but hey that'll do too.

Just remember that you can mix rice krispies, coconut, etc into the chocolate for reinforcing the lower. 
View Quote
Used the vegetable oil to measure the volume of the mold.

Folks were talking about double boilers earlier, but I don't really want 212 degree chocolate sloshing around.  Can't I just melt part of our 2 lb block on low heat in a pan, then pour it through the funnel?

To keep it from sticking to the mold, do I use PAM, or vegetable oil, or my favorite, to my cholesterol's lament, butter?  

Started putting up pics from the other night from my phone, but that will drive you nuts.  Finally got them off my phone.  Give me a few minutes, let me see what I can get up.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 11:48:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Right side of the mold, again:

Attachment Attached File

Left side of the mold, showing the very finicky and weak lower LRBHO void parts.

Attachment Attached File

Turns out to put the thing together, you want the inserts on the left side:

Attachment Attached File

7/8" bolts:

Attachment Attached File

We're ready to pour 2 cups of vegetable oil in this thing...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 11:51:31 PM EDT
[#36]
A good pic of the rear take-down detent pin channel pin:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Our funnel - should probably get a proper small funnel before I go pouring hot chocolate:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Because I spilled vegetable oil all over the place...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 11:55:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Poured about 5 oz of vegetable oil in there:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The mess:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 11:58:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Taping to test the volume of the 80% lower:

Attachment Attached File

Good shot of the mag catch well - I keep forgetting that's removeable from the mold:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Or we could just submerge the parts we need the volumes for, and measure the change.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 12:03:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Another shot of the FCS well block submerged:

Attachment Attached File

The magwell block - right around 1/2 cup.  It wouldn't submerge completely, so a little bit more.

Attachment Attached File

Everything out and drying, after the soapy water bath.  Very nearly lost the mag catch well block down the disposal.  There are some pieces even smaller - for which you will need the paper clip.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

And, as you can see, the only things I needed to measure the volume of was the magwell insert & the FCS well insert.  Why?  B/c AR15Mold.com gave me the frickin volume of the mold right on the epoxy mix containers.  6 oz.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 12:33:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Gotta tag this to see how they come out.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 1:56:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Used the vegetable oil to measure the volume of the mold.

Folks were talking about double boilers earlier, but I don't really want 212 degree chocolate sloshing around.  Can't I just melt part of our 2 lb block on low heat in a pan, then pour it through the funnel?

To keep it from sticking to the mold, do I use PAM, or vegetable oil, or my favorite, to my cholesterol's lament, butter?  

Started putting up pics from the other night from my phone, but that will drive you nuts.  Finally got them off my phone.  Give me a few minutes, let me see what I can get up.
View Quote
Oooooh, I'm dumb I thought it was for your release agent.  And doing that could likely scorch the chocolate.  Just put a bowl on top of a pot of simmering water.  That'll do it.  So long as the bowl is oversized, there isn't any sloshing.  That or break the chocolate up and stick that in a mason jar in a pot of water.  Key is gently heating the chocolate otherwise it'll get weird.

Could always get some of the confectioner's dipping chips from Walmart.  Some of them (Wilton brand especially) are designed to be nuked in the bag and have it work as a pastry bag...ish.

Fuck, I know way too much random shit.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 5:07:41 AM EDT
[#42]
Be very careful when heating the chocolate over the double boiler.  A drop of water can spoil the whole bunch.  It causes the oil to separate out of the chocolate.
Heating chocolate in a pan will be a disaster.  It heats too fast, inconsistently and will scorch / separate.  You'll have a nasty burnt almost powdered sludge stuff with oil floating around on top.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 5:17:05 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
http://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/84655/20170514-215042-208639.JPG

2 & 1/4 lbs of milk chocolate.  Minus a little nibble.  Quality control, you know.

So - legal question.  If I make a complete chocolate lower, and give it to an FFL - and they eat it, what will the disposition be in their records?  Eaten?
View Quote
You're going to need a compound chocolate / chocolate for coating. The bloom you see there is the chocolate that has melted and is no longer emulsified. Tempering the chocolate isn't an easy thing to do either. Also chocolate that isn't tempered will stick like hell to the molds and you probably won't be able to get it out and also they will look ugly like that chocolate you have there.. not a shiny chocolate bar.
Get something like this 
Amazon Product
  • 5 KG BOX
  • This item is perishable and requires expedited shipping and handling. Expedited charges will be calculated at check out.

Though this stuff is a little soft it's the only one I found on amazon that I've used. Good luck I hope it works out. 

Also just to add that chocolate I posted there doesn't need to be tempered and should flow nicer than regular chocolate. It will harden and be shiny and have a nice snap to it and also that stuff taste pretty good.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 5:29:50 AM EDT
[#44]
I not a confectioner, but I have played with chocolate a bit. First, you'll be sorry if you don't use a double boiler. Your chocolate will 'break' and the oils will separate from the solids. Once that happens it's ruined. A single drop of water will ruin a batch of chocolate.

You have to 'temper' chocolate and pay close attention to it's temperature. Tempering chocolate

Another thing I'd do differently is use a large syringe to inject the molten chocolate into the mold. Trying to pour solidifying melted chocolate through a funnel and hose contraption like you showed is almost laughable. It won't make it through the tube before it sets up and you'll have a tube full of hardened chocolate.

You want 'injection molding' so you can fill the mold before it begins to seize and gets too viscous to pour. 150ml Syringe

Keep us posted. 
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 5:35:52 AM EDT
[#45]
In.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 9:21:25 AM EDT
[#46]
Who knew that chocolate guns would be so complex?  Since I've already got that hunk, I'll try it.  Will improvise a double boiler.  Will vegetable oil keep it from sticking to the mold, or should I use Pam, or?  Thanks for all the help, folks.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 9:26:27 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Congrats dude

Also remember to melt the chocolate on a double boiler, or use a big glass bowl on top of a pot of simmering water.  Depending on the mold material, I'd consider warming it up to 100f or so (put in a ziplock and run under a hot tap or the like) so the chocolate stays molten enough to flow smoothly through the mold.  I'd probably spray the mold with a light dusting of PAM or similar to work as a release agent as well.  Otherwise you might be chipping chocolate out of it later.
View Quote
I'm thinking powdered sugar myself.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 9:27:23 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I not a confectioner, but I have played with chocolate a bit. First, you'll be sorry if you don't use a double boiler. Your chocolate will 'break' and the oils will separate from the solids. Once that happens it's ruined. A single drop of water will ruin a batch of chocolate.

You have to 'temper' chocolate and pay close attention to it's temperature. Tempering chocolate

Another thing I'd do differently is use a large syringe to inject the molten chocolate into the mold. Trying to pour solidifying melted chocolate through a funnel and hose contraption like you showed is almost laughable. It won't make it through the tube before it sets up and you'll have a tube full of hardened chocolate.

You want 'injection molding' so you can fill the mold before it begins to seize and gets too viscous to pour. 150ml Syringe

Keep us posted. 
View Quote
Alton Brown uses a heating pad and a stainless steel bowl to melt chocolate. Gives better control.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 9:29:28 AM EDT
[#49]
You might need to have the mold heated so that the chocolate will stay viscous enough to flow into the details and settle out air bubbles before solidifying.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 9:58:39 AM EDT
[#50]
Will live w/ air bubbles.  That's a problem w/ the actual epoxy as well.  I'm not gonna fire it - well, I might w/ Sample's .22" LR upper.  

Probably as a single shot, and not before the wedding.  That 2 lb hunk of chocolate isn't easy to break.  I have a drop in trigger, throw the chocolate lower into the Hera thumbhole stock to give it some support, take it to an outdoor rifle range this winter...  Anyone know of a .22" LR brand that uses lead-free primers?  Leave the magazine well solid...

Back to the issues @ hand.  I can wrap the mold in a couple of plastic zip lock bags, tops open, and put it into a pot of warm water oil to keep the chocolate from setting up too fast.

So, to list our issues:

1 - a single drop of water will spoil the soup.  So, let's leave out the water.  Let's use vegetable oil as the medium in our double boiler - on a gas stove - this could be fun.  

2 - Need a better funnel - no problem, will take the mold to the grocery store, get a proper funnel that fits.

3 - Need something to keep the chocolate from sticking to the mold - Pam, vegetable oil, butter...?

4 - Will test 1st w/ this chocolate hunk, but I got it, there are better chocolates to use.  Let's see how this does the 1st go round.

5 - Will keep the mold warm by putting it in plastic bags inside a pan of warm oil.

To list knowns:

1 - a pretty good idea what our volume is - 5-6 oz to make an actual gun, another 4 oz for the mag well insert, 1 & 1/2 oz for the FCS well insert, so say 12 oz for a 0%, 7.5 oz for an 80%.

2 - I'm skipping most of the detent holes.  Since we're putting the mold into a plastic bag anyway, rather than plug the holes w/ duct tape, I'll just duct tape the inner bag tightly around the mold w/ duct tape.  Any leakage will just go into the bag.  And then the Sinister and his sisters have something to lick up.  Hmm, wonder if we could do a frosting lower...  

3 - freezer close @ hand, so once it's poured and the stopper put in, out of the pot, into the freezer.  Maybe shake it a few times, see if it needs topping off.

$2 margaritas tonight, so not much will get done today.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Top Top