[#1]
A black man who can't swim?

That's surprising 
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 5:33:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh well. 
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 5:35:31 PM EDT
[#3]
At least it wasn't all the little children that the non-swimmers brought with them who died.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 5:36:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I was assuming he was either drinking or high, but sounds like he was just trying to impress a girl.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 5:36:52 PM EDT
[#5]
For the life of me, I don't understand the aversion that (Some? Most?) black people have about learning how to swim. 

I learned to swim when I was 3 years old. WTF?!? 
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 5:37:12 PM EDT
[#6]
It was 7' deep at max, just fucking walk out of it.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 5:38:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

At least it wasn't all the little children that the non-swimmers brought with them who died.
View Quote
The only ones that could swim were the children LOL

"I was like, yo he's drowning"
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 5:38:10 PM EDT
[#8]
He won't do that again....
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 5:38:58 PM EDT
[#9]
For some people.......

pool = life guard

Or, I'm gonna sue.  Of course, pvt pools do not = life guards.  But, you better have a high fence around it with a locked gate.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 5:40:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Edited ~ medicmandan
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 5:41:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
For the life of me, I don't understand the aversion that (Some? Most?) black people have about learning how to swim. 

View Quote
It was funny because in the Virgin Islands we had all this beautiful water that you could see down pretty deep and see big fish or sharks coming a mile away. There are very few attacks the water is so clear, but all of the locals would only walk in up to their knees, lmao.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 5:42:18 PM EDT
[#12]
There is a near child-like ignorance in many stories like this.
Are their lives so sheltered that they don't even know the most basic elements of life?
Water over your head = drowning.
Maybe since the system takes care of so much of their lives, it's implied that this coverage is infinite???
Some lawyer will of course file a wrongful death lawsuit on behalf of the family...
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 5:42:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Coca Cola closed at 202 today.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 5:43:24 PM EDT
[#14]
I've witnessed certain people just panic and flap around in water that if they just stood up would go to their waist.

Very strange.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 5:48:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It was funny because in the Virgin Islands we had all this beautiful water that you could see down pretty deep and see big fish or sharks coming a mile away. There are very few attacks the water is so clear, but all of the locals would only walk in up to their knees, lmao.
View Quote
I know a woman from the Bahamas, same thing can't swim and no desire to take lessons.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 5:54:05 PM EDT
[#16]
We had a guy that couldn't swim think it would be a great idea to go to a public rock quarry swimming hole.  Even better, he went to the 40' cliff that everyone jumps off of and thought it would be a good idea to take his shoes off and try jumping in.

We found him several days later 53" deep right below where he jumped in.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:01:22 PM EDT
[#17]
7' deep water?
Sheesh... pogo yourself off the bottom a few times towards shallower water then walk out.

We go swimming to a big natural spring fed pool that is up to 30' deep (Balmorhea, Tx.).
I'm amazed at the people who don't know how to swim but will float on a Wal-Mart plastic lounger in 30' deep water, they're literally one Chinese sealed toy failure away from death.
It seems like every year there's at least one drowning (usually a drunk adult).
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:05:28 PM EDT
[#18]
There is a guy that goes to a gym I go to. 

Guy is 35/45yr missing a leg from 1/2 femur down. And swims well.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:08:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:12:25 PM EDT
[#20]
That makes perfect sense.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:15:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
sounds like the guy could swim circles around the kid in the story....
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:15:29 PM EDT
[#22]
The fact that no one tried to help makes me really sad for humanity.

People underestimate the likelihood of drowning.  If you're going to be around people in a body of water, yous should be CPR certified.

BTDT...
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:19:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
I was about 3 also when I was swimming.  Dad has a 8mm movie of me in a pool swimming away.

In Navy Boot Camp, we had to tread water for 10 minutes using our clothes as flotation.  Most of the black guys went straight to the bottom.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:19:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

People underestimate the likelihood of drowning.  If you're going to be around people in a body of water, yous should be CPR certified.

BTDT...
View Quote
One story I read said his friends did jump in to help, but almost drowned themselves in doing so.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:20:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:20:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

BTDT...
View Quote
Actually,  Humanity does prevail the world over, just in some places, it does not, ever.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:21:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:24:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see it. What you did there.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:26:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Darwin finally got one.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:28:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Something about looking before you leap.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:30:59 PM EDT
[#31]
If you live in an urban environment or are not exposed to aquatic environs  learning to swim is not on your radar.

Your parents teach you to swim.

That dude probably could survive in a metropolis while some of you guys panic about a bum giving you the stink eye in Midtown or trying to cross 5th Ave at 4pm

That being said. WtF was he doing jumping in a pool with no skills.

And the other idiots with no clue...
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:43:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Poor choices were made.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:45:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
'cuz no one ever got drowned BY the id10t flailing in the water before?  I'm not sure *I* would go in after a grown man too stupid not to drown himself and *HOPE* he wouldn't drown me too!

E.g. Gamble Rogers, RIP

ETA: apparently he *DID* try to drown the two who went in after him.....
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:48:45 PM EDT
[#34]
I would throw him a flotation ring or try to snare him with the dog catcher pole, but no way in hell am I going to jump into the water for anyone but family.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:51:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:55:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Yeah I wouldn't have gone in after him but it's odd no one threw him a ring or used the rod
View Quote
Tunnel vision.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 7:08:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Why would friends or family help him?
They just hit the jackpot!
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 7:12:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
http://www.syracuse.com/state/index.ssf/2017/04/2_non-swimmers_tried_to_save_buffalo_teen_from_hotel_drowning_as_others_sat_arou.html#comments

Yeah it was a young black guy, but not knowing how to swim isn't the same thing as hopping into deep water
Does sound like there were life rings and a rescue pole no one, including his idiot friends, bothered with. Some hotel guest did leap in and pull him out after it was too late.
View Quote
But...but...but...who would have taken a video of it if they'd stopped to help? 
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 7:17:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Stay Float.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 7:31:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

BTDT...
View Quote
Fuck that nonsense. That guy is liable to drown you as well panicking.  Life preserver or metal rod best you get from me.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 7:33:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Yeah I wouldn't have gone in after him but it's odd no one threw him a ring or used the rod
View Quote
Maybe he was on everyone's ignore list at the pool
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 7:47:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I can't fly. If I jump off the top of a hotel and splat on the concrete below is that the fault of the hotel?
View Quote
According to SJW's the world over: Yes.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 8:31:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 8:33:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 8:36:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Former Ranger recently told me that there's not many blacks in the Rangers because many otherwise qualified black soldiers can't swim.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 8:36:41 PM EDT
[#46]
These women should have been arrested for child neglect putting small children in a pool without the ability to rescue them. I'd like to say I'd have a coke but I'd have grabbed a net or something with a pole. Only way I'd jump in is for a child or hot chick.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 8:43:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would throw him a flotation ring or try to snare him with the dog catcher pole, but no way in hell am I going to jump into the water for anyone but family.
My guess is that they didn't throw him a ring or use the pole because they were too busy grabbing their phone and shooting video of him.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 8:46:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I was about 3 also when I was swimming.  Dad has a 8mm movie of me in a pool swimming away.

In Navy Boot Camp, we had to tread water for 10 minutes using our clothes as flotation.  Most of the black guys went straight to the bottom.
View Quote
A San Francisco high school graduation requirement included knowing how to swim.  My uncle never finished junior high but finished high school by attending school once a week for 27 months.   This was during WW II when all the boys (junior high up) went to the shipyard to learn a trade and fix ships for the Navy. His total high school education was 27 weeks and he didn't learn to swim until the Navy threw him into the water.  At least he learned to tread water and stay afloat.

I think the above in bold is proof that water is racist.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 8:50:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yep.  Not trained as a lifeguard and the person in need of saving can drown the would be rescuer.  F*ck that.  Flotation ring or dog catcher pole FTW.  But these city people who went there have no sense.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 8:51:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Actually,  Humanity does prevail the world over, just in some places, it does not, ever.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BTDT...
The chances of being killed by a panicky person who cannot swim and is himself drowning are pretty good.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top