Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 8:54:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Nobody taught me how to swim.

I learned by not drowning.  It's not rocket science.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 9:35:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
These women should have been arrested for child neglect putting small children in a pool without the ability to rescue them. I'd like to say I'd have a coke but I'd have grabbed a net or something with a pole. Only way I'd jump in is for a child or hot chick.
View Quote
No shit!

Hey, none of us can swim, but lets take the kids to the pool anyway. WTF?
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 9:56:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I was about 3 also when I was swimming.  Dad has a 8mm movie of me in a pool swimming away.

In Navy Boot Camp, we had to tread water for 10 minutes using our clothes as flotation.  Most of the black guys went straight to the bottom.
View Quote
I remember that day in Army basic.

"If you can swim, head for the deep end. If you can't come down to the shallow end."

All the black guys headed to the shallow end. All of them.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 9:57:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I was about 3 also when I was swimming.  Dad has a 8mm movie of me in a pool swimming away.

In Navy Boot Camp, we had to tread water for 10 minutes using our clothes as flotation.  Most of the black guys went straight to the bottom.
View Quote

"If you can swim, head for the deep end. If you can't, come down to the shallow end."

Link Posted: 4/14/2017 10:15:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It was 7' deep at max, just fucking walk out of it.  
View Quote
drownproofing...oops something learned at swimming lessons
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 10:17:23 PM EDT
[#6]
How the hell did he find a hotel with a deep end?

Midget?
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 10:27:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 10:36:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
How the hell did he find a hotel with a deep end?

Midget?
View Quote
No kidding. It's hard to even find a hotel pool that is over 6ft these days.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 10:48:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
For the life of me, I don't understand the aversion that (Some? Most?) black people have about learning how to swim. 

I learned to swim when I was 3 years old. WTF?!? 
View Quote
When i was at NCSU you were required to show basic swimming proficiency (at least be able to doggie paddle) to be eligible for a degree.  Moo-U wasn't going to let any graduates drown for not knowing how to keep their heads abpove water.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:05:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm amazed that a grown person couldn't at least doggy paddle 12 feet to the side of the pool? Is this common?
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:13:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm amazed that a grown person couldn't at least doggy paddle 12 feet to the side of the pool? Is this common?
View Quote
Panic and flapping around then climbing invisible ladders

Common, not sure happens, Yes.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:15:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I think this is pretty common from a thread on here last summer some black folks decided to take their kids to play on sandbars on a river none could swim. It was 6 teens dead from 2 families. Dropoff of 18ft.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:16:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I was assuming he was either drinking or high, but sounds like he was just trying to impress a girl.
View Quote
Your assumptions may still be right, but nonetheless, I'm sure he accomplished his overarching goal of influencing her decision.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:19:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yep.  Not trained as a lifeguard and the person in need of saving can drown the would be rescuer.  F*ck that.  Flotation ring or dog catcher pole FTW.  But these city people who went there have no sense.
View Quote
At one time I was a certified lifeguard.
We were trained to either sneak up behind them and wait until they just passed out and just went under before grabbing them from behind, or to punch them square in the nose to stun them before grabbing on to them.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:21:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
There is a near child-like ignorance in many stories like this.
Are their lives so sheltered that they don't even know the most basic elements of life?
Water over your head = drowning.
Maybe since the system takes care of so much of their lives, it's implied that this coverage is infinite???
Some lawyer will of course file a wrongful death lawsuit on behalf of the family...
View Quote
They really don't.  

A good friend is an ER physician and he has to tell women all the time that they are pregnant.  

You'd be very surprised to know there's a huge segment of the population that winds up preg and has no idea how that happened until it's explained.  Sometimes it takes repetition.  

He revealed candidly that he is deeply saddened by this, and I couldn't imagine how he could feel any other way.  

It's another puzzle piece that shows why things are as we find them.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:24:54 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a theory about why Black people don't like to swim: it's because in Africa the rivers are full of crocodiles. And living around and being prey of crocodiles over thousands of years they have a genetically embedded fear of water in their DNA.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:31:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
7' deep water?
Sheesh... pogo yourself off the bottom a few times towards shallower water then walk out.
View Quote
May I suggest that you look up the definition of the word "panic"
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:41:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have a theory about why Black people don't like to swim: it's because in Africa the rivers are full of crocodiles. And living around and being prey of crocodiles over thousands of years they have a genetically embedded fear of water in their DNA.
View Quote
Hippo's also don't wanna step in their territory.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:47:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Black guy that learned to swim later in life checking in I just wasn't really interested in learning when I was young, played basketball, football, golf and  even stunt flips off a exercise trampoline, had no real access to a pool.

Also saved a kid in a pool a couple of months after I learned.

Got my son some lessons, he was about 10 at the time I guess. Wouldn't put his head under the water at all on the first lesson.
Long story short, swims like a fish now, does back flips into the pool and other crazy stuff.

Why anyone would jump in a pool on the deep end and can't swim is beyond me. Stay shallow. Odd and against what's posted. I've seen a lot of white people that can't swim either.

As for the guy and why he didn't pogo out. Probably didn't have a breath and panicked
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:55:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
For the life of me, I don't understand the aversion that (Some? Most?) black people have about learning how to swim. 

View Quote
25 years in the Army, every damn drownproofing class we did, the non-swimmers would almost uniformly all be of a darker skin tone persuasion. I asked one of my buddies who fit into that category what the deal was, and he just gave me a dirty look and got into the pool. He went straight to the bottom, and stayed there, looking up at me with a "See? This is why..." expression on his face. Then, he walked over to the ladder, climbed it, and got out of the pool. Upon exiting, his sole comment was "Brothers don't float like you white boys...".

And, there is something to it--Bone density, lower fat content, and a higher density of flesh in general. Even a fat black guy doesn't float as well as an equally fat white guy.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 12:03:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
For some people.......

pool = life guard

Or, I'm gonna sue.  Of course, pvt pools do not = life guards.  But, you better have a high fence around it with a locked gate.

Aloha, Mark
View Quote
A 50 ft tall fence with LG's lived up around the perimeter wouldn't matter.  American juries are sob story suckers who can't wait to lay blame at the feet of anyone evil enough to be living above the poverty level.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 6:33:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
And, there is something to it--Bone density, lower fat content, and a higher density of flesh in general. Even a fat black guy doesn't float as well as an equally fat white guy.
View Quote
Jimmy "The Greek"... is that you?

Link Posted: 4/15/2017 6:40:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Former Ranger recently told me that there's not many blacks in the Rangers because many otherwise qualified black soldiers can't swim.
View Quote
At RASP, we had about 8 black dudes.  All of them failed day 1 for the 25 meter doggy paddle test.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 6:45:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
I learned to swim from my father when I was 3, so that may have something to do with it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 6:53:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Sharks.

They're why I only take showers and walk around mud puddles too.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:07:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

25 years in the Army, every damn drownproofing class we did, the non-swimmers would almost uniformly all be of a darker skin tone persuasion. I asked one of my buddies who fit into that category what the deal was, and he just gave me a dirty look and got into the pool. He went straight to the bottom, and stayed there, looking up at me with a "See? This is why..." expression on his face. Then, he walked over to the ladder, climbed it, and got out of the pool. Upon exiting, his sole comment was "Brothers don't float like you white boys...".

View Quote
Not being able to float is actually pretty common and not a racial thing.  I can't float either.  

Learned to swim when my dad threw me into a pool and hollered out, "swim boy, swim!"  Think I was around 7 or 8 years old.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:09:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I learned to swim from my father when I was 3, so that may have something to do with it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ouch!   What you did there, I see it 
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:13:32 AM EDT
[#28]
When we first started dating, my wife (23 yo at the time), who is white as white can be, didn't know how to swim. To me this was a foreign concept, as I spent my summers at the pool with my cousins growing up (grandma would buy us all pool memberships and take us at least 3 times per week).

I tried and tried to teach her, and she kept panicking and failing.

Then, one day, I made and epic, rookie, completely stupid mistake. I said: "If you learn to swim, we can get a cat".

Within 2 days she was paddling across the pool.   FUCK ME RUNNING.

We still don't have a cat, but she hasn't forgotten.

I'm sure she'd still drown if she fell into a lake or river or something. I'd like her to be good enough so that I could trust her to be alone at the pool. Don't know if that will ever happen or not.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:14:54 AM EDT
[#29]
*CLAP CLAP*   "STAY FLOAT!"   *CLAP CLAP*  "STAY FLOAT!"
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:23:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Are their lives so sheltered that they don't even know the most basic elements of life?
Maybe since the system takes care of so much of their lives, it's implied that this coverage is infinite???
Some lawyer will of course file a wrongful death lawsuit on behalf of the family...
View Quote
I think that is what happens.

Stupidity is protected due to infrastructure and coddling and calling 911. Many people never learn how to be responsible and take care of themselves and that actions have consequences because society coddles idiots and prevents many of the consequences.

And then one day the system that protects idiots fails and someone dies in 7 feet of pool water being only 5 feet from the side and surrounded by other people all waiting for someone else to do something about it.

Tragic that this is what large chunks of this country has become.

and those people vote. wanting more protections from their own irresponsible actions and from themselves, somebody has to do something, it's for the children.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:24:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Honestly I don't even understand how someone can't at least make it to the edge of a pool.

Fine, drop some people off a mile off shore, I get not being able to make it for some. But in a fucking hotel pool? Sink to the bottom and crawl across to the edge and push off the bottom.

It's a reality though. When I took my agility test for the police dept there were black guys there that were great athletes. As soon as they hit the water they turned into spastic retards. All the motions they made actually pushed them under. They would have stayed afloat longer if they had taken a deep breath and held still.

The guy with the long rescue stick was plucking them out of the pool like June bugs. It's so bad that many south Florida depts started dropping the swim test because they couldn't hire enough blacks.

This was south Florida too, water everywhere. The ocean is free....no excuses not to learn.

But honestly infants have more and better physical instincts to stay afloat.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:24:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
My guess is that they didn't throw him a ring or use the pole because they were too busy grabbing their phone and shooting video of him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would throw him a flotation ring or try to snare him with the dog catcher pole, but no way in hell am I going to jump into the water for anyone but family.
Yeah I wouldn't have gone in after him but it's odd no one threw him a ring or used the rod
My guess is that they didn't throw him a ring or use the pole because they were too busy grabbing their phone and shooting video of him.
I was about to post this.  Too many watchers  / amateur videographers and not enough actors in our society today.  One of the worst aspects of the cell phone culture.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:24:53 AM EDT
[#33]
All to impress a girl?
The power of the P
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:28:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
If you live in an urban environment or are not exposed to aquatic environs  learning to swim is not on your radar.

Your parents teach you to swim.

That dude probably could survive in a metropolis while some of you guys panic about a bum giving you the stink eye in Midtown or trying to cross 5th Ave at 4pm

That being said. WtF was he doing jumping in a pool with no skills.

And the other idiots with no clue...
View Quote
because there are no such things as public swimming pools in cities?

as with many things not just swimming, if your parents don't give 2 shits about you life starts out harder. Been that way since forever.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:30:34 AM EDT
[#35]
My baby didnt do nuffins!
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:30:53 AM EDT
[#36]
The grammar is killing me.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:40:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

"If you can swim, head for the deep end. If you can't come down to the shallow end."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My ex took a summer job at lifeguarding back in school.  Lifeguard instructor told her it was "racist" to say that young black boys were most rescues at the pool, but did not care because this might save a life.  Said something about their bodies were denser than other people.  No shit, she fished out two that summer. Same exact thing happened at different times...both got excited playing and did not realize they'd jumped in the deep end and sank.  Said both were just standing on the bottom when fished out. Both would have drowned if this non-PC info had not been mentioned in training.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:45:33 AM EDT
[#38]
when my little girl was 4 she would always ask if there were sharks in the pool before she would go in.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:51:25 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
sounds like the guy could swim circles around the kid in the story....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is a guy that goes to a gym I go to. 

Guy is 35/45yr missing a leg from 1/2 femur down. And swims well.
I see what you did there
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 8:17:12 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Stupidity is protected due to infrastructure and coddling and calling 911. Many people never learn how to be responsible and take care of themselves and that actions have consequences because society coddles idiots and prevents many of the consequences.

And then one day the system that protects idiots fails and someone dies in 7 feet of pool water being only 5 feet from the side and surrounded by other people all waiting for someone else to do something about it.

and those people vote. wanting more protections from their own irresponsible actions and from themselves, somebody has to do something, it's for the children.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

it is exactly what Mach said.  Our society protects people waaaay to much from the consequences of their poor decisions.  And, we do not teach people today any moral code of how to get along in society by being polite, helpful, all that Scout Law stuff.

If you insulate people from teh consequences of shitty decision-making, is it any surprise they keep on making shitty decisions?  Sometimes even life-ending ones?
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 8:17:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Honestly I don't even understand how someone can't at least make it to the edge of a pool.

Fine, drop some people off a mile off shore, I get not being able to make it for some. But in a fucking hotel pool? Sink to the bottom and crawl across to the edge and push off the bottom.

It's a reality though. When I took my agility test for the police dept there were black guys there that were great athletes. As soon as they hit the water they turned into spastic retards. All the motions they made actually pushed them under. They would have stayed afloat longer if they had taken a deep breath and held still.

The guy with the long rescue stick was plucking them out of the pool like June bugs. It's so bad that many south Florida depts started dropping the swim test because they couldn't hire enough blacks.

This was south Florida too, water everywhere. The ocean is free....no excuses not to learn.

But honestly infants have more and better physical instincts to stay afloat.
View Quote
You have never experienced panic before, have you?  It tends to override the brain's power to think and reason.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 8:22:03 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
What you did there...I see it.

Link Posted: 4/15/2017 8:28:09 AM EDT
[#43]
Sad, its surprising how many people cant swim.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 8:35:37 AM EDT
[#44]
He died doing what he loathed.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 8:41:15 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 8:49:25 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
According to SJW's the world over: Yes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can't fly. If I jump off the top of a hotel and splat on the concrete below is that the fault of the hotel?
According to SJW's the world over: Yes.
and 2/3 of the personal injury lawyers
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 12:01:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
Bah dum tizzzzz
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 12:27:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

At RASP, we had about 8 black dudes.  All of them failed day 1 for the 25 meter doggy paddle test.
View Quote
Watching any CWSC "water survival" test was always hilarious.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 12:47:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
That might make sense if that was the case, but it isn't. One of the books by P.H. Capstick had a section on the it and the natives' fatalism. All the village women go down to the river to wash and collect water, one of them is pulled under by a crocodile. Though one just died, they'll be back in the water the next day. C'est la vie.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 12:49:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
A black man who can't swim?

That's surprising 
View Quote

Jamacians are perplexed. Lots of black folks around the world are practically raised in the water, and make their livings in or on it.

I'd say the issue is uniquely American. Even then, the dating sites I've searched have many profiles with pics of black women in the water. Even a couple are boat owners.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top