Page / 17
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 4:50:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Woohoo!
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 5:22:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 5:35:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Something needs to be done to make the upper receiver look more worn or something its the only part that kinda seems out of place.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 5:41:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Something needs to be done to make the upper receiver look more worn or something its the only part that kinda seems out of place.
View Quote
Yeah I know....I was just thinking of how I'd do it but am not too sure
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 5:45:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sandpaper, Dremel and/or driveway.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 5:45:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hit it with a scotch brite pad, Brillo, or steel wool or something like that then hit it with some paint to make it look "distressed".

Adam Savage's One Day Builds: Custom NERF Rifle
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 5:49:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Hmmmmmmm

Sandpaper->paint->driveway->sandpaper->paint->driveway a few times probably won't hurt anything
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 6:20:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:10:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
                           http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/pakAAOSwaNBUc3w-/s-l300.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hmmmmmmm

Sandpaper->paint->driveway->sandpaper->paint->driveway a few times probably won't hurt anything
                           http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/pakAAOSwaNBUc3w-/s-l300.jpg

I can just do real blood
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:48:07 PM EDT
[#10]
The post-apocalyptic patio table was a nice detail for the pictures.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:59:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The post-apocalyptic patio table was a nice detail for the pictures.
View Quote
Classy as fuck ain't it? on a serious note the lighting there allows me to get the highest resolution pics plus I can prop it up easy enough

This is how far I got today. Couldn't find my box of shelving crap so it may not get the OG keymod but did make a muzzle cone and stripped the majority of the anodising off of the upper. Anything yall know of that I can use to get it about the same color as the lower? Don't want to leave it stripped and really like that grey with an almost green tint

The cone is a bit lopsided but its straight enough

I think I'm gonna go pick up some copper tubing for the spacer between the FS and the muzzle cone since I have no shoulder. Currently it's some fuel line but it's a bit too loose plus because copper
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:01:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How about cutting off the carry handle and welding a rail onto it?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:09:01 PM EDT
[#13]
I think it would look cool if you chopped the carry handle off and just left it as the rear sight

See my bad MS paint mock up
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:14:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I think it would look cool if you chopped the carry handle off and just left it as the rear sight
View Quote
Like this?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:15:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Indeed
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:18:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Indeed
View All Quotes
Maybe....not sure how well it'd look like since it's an A1
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:20:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Maybe....not sure how well it'd look like since it's an A1
View Quote
Did you not see my beautiful mock up?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:27:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:Anything yall know of that I can use to get it about the same color as the lower? Don't want to leave it stripped and really like that grey with an almost green tint
http://i.imgur.com/jXie9zU.jpg
View Quote
Probably if you use some 1" steel pipe, cut it in half, weld a charging handle channel on the top, cut out a little bit for the cam pin, drill a gas tube hole, and weld some takedown pin lugs on the bottom, you'd match the lower almost perfectly.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:50:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Probably if you use some 1" steel pipe, cut it in half, weld a charging handle channel on the top, cut out a little bit for the cam pin, drill a gas tube hole, and weld some takedown pin lugs on the bottom, you'd match the lower almost perfectly.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:Anything yall know of that I can use to get it about the same color as the lower? Don't want to leave it stripped and really like that grey with an almost green tint
http://i.imgur.com/jXie9zU.jpg
Ughhhhh I need to buy a damn mill and lathe already
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:57:13 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm loving the overall look of it, but the spark plug is stupid and pointless IMO.  Keep up the good work otherwise.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:08:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm loving the overall look of it, but the spark plug is stupid and pointless IMO.  Keep up the good work otherwise.
View Quote
Thanks! I thought it was a clever way to plug the FA but I do think it looks silly and I will break it soon enough... however I'm gonna keep it until then
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 6:26:01 AM EDT
[#22]
I LOVE IT!

Aluma black is what I used on my upper to get some color back in spots. Did the same to my lower and it turned it kinda brown...

Oh, and I got that red dot sighted in. Holds a 2" group at 100 yards!
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:26:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I LOVE IT!

Aluma black is what I used on my upper to get some color back in spots. Did the same to my lower and it turned it kinda brown...

Oh, and I got that red dot sighted in. Holds a 2" group at 100 yards!
View Quote
Thanks man! Good to hear on the red dot ordered me some aluma black via prime since no one apparently carries it here according to Google, where'd you find it locally?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:50:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Just a friend that makes custom rifles that had some laying around his machine shop.

I'm working from home today, think I'll go take a walk around the farm and try and get my build a kill under its belt.   Groundhogs must die!
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:04:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Just a friend that makes custom rifles that had some laying around his machine shop.

I'm working from home today, think I'll go take a walk around the farm and try and get my build a kill under its belt.   Groundhogs must die!
View Quote
Baptism by blood...I like it
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:12:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Im not liking the spark plug either.  Think you should change it to a socket head or giant allen wrench 
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:23:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Have you seen the gun you can build in fewer than 3 hours for less than $10??

Check this out:  Mark Serbu's "GB22" pistol (shown at SHOT show):

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_49/476092_My-Knock-off-of-Serbu-s-GB22--Simple-Homemade-Gun-.html

It could also be built in .380, 45ACP, etc.  it's quite apocalyptic!
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:33:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Success! didn't take long. LOL

Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:36:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Steel is real.  Polish it and send it to Turnbull for color case hardening.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:47:30 AM EDT
[#30]
I'd hit the upper with Rustoleum rusty metal primer. It would give that "industrial-chic" look. The world is run by equipment painted with rusty metal primer. 
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:48:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Cool build.

If that forward assist/spark plug could produce a spark that you could light a fat cigar off of now we have potential for a book/movie character.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:54:03 AM EDT
[#32]
so much awesome!!!
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:57:28 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I don't think the $3000 ornate AR guys want to mess with something like this

Quoted:
Success! didn't take long. LOL

http://i.imgur.com/t40QicT.jpg
Ain't that the truth

Quoted:
Have you seen the gun you can build in fewer than 3 hours for less than $10??

Check this out:  Mark Serbu's "GB22" pistol (shown at SHOT show):

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_49/476092_My-Knock-off-of-Serbu-s-GB22--Simple-Homemade-Gun-.html

It could also be built in .380, 45ACP, etc.  it's quite apocalyptic!
That's pretty cool! I was considering doing a scrap metal glock but that'd be a lot easier
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:00:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:02:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
so much awesome!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
so much awesome!!!
Thanks

Quoted:
Cool build.

If that forward assist/spark plug could produce a spark that you could light a fat cigar off of now we have potential for a book/movie character.
that'd be some straight up over the top Bond character type shit

Quoted:
I'd hit the upper with Rustoleum rusty metal primer. It would give that "industrial-chic" look. The world is run by equipment painted with rusty metal primer. 
I just got out of my first lecture and about to head to home depot, I'll see if they've got it
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:03:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Wicked.
View Quote
Thanks man! It's getting there
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:17:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Thanks! I thought it was a clever way to plug the FA but I do think it looks silly and I will break it soon enough... however I'm gonna keep it until then
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A turbo button seems very fallout

Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:47:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/Au8AAOSwHnFVu6vz/s-l300.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/Au8AAOSwHnFVu6vz/s-l300.jpg
I was thinking that....when the time comes and assuming I can get it out I'm thinking of finding a smooth FA and just painting it bright red like that
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:41:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:  That's pretty cool! I was considering doing a scrap metal glock but that'd be a lot easier
View Quote
Following the 80% Glock thread, the challenges of the Iron Glock become abundantly clear.  It might be easier to convert the SIG 320 to Glock mags and custom print a grip frame than weld a Glock together.

I did finally learn an actual use for the forward assist - it functions as a temporary BHO on a Lyndon.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:49:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Following the 80% Glock thread, the challenges of the Iron Glock become abundantly clear.  It might be easier to convert the SIG 320 to Glock mags and custom print a grip frame than weld a Glock together.

I did finally learn an actual use for the forward assist - it functions as a temporary BHO on a Lyndon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  That's pretty cool! I was considering doing a scrap metal glock but that'd be a lot easier

There's a few sub $300 Sig clones I could molest into something.... that'd make shit easy
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:17:28 PM EDT
[#41]
How does this look? Blitz black plus rustoleum rust

Rubbed on it to thin it and threw it in the gravel a few times

I'm thinking about chemical rusting it with one of the methods discussed a few pages back
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:19:34 PM EDT
[#42]
I like it, but I really want to see what you do with the handgaurds
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:40:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I like it, but I really want to see what you do with the handgaurds
View Quote
Getting there this afternoon hopefully
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:07:03 PM EDT
[#44]
What's the weight on that thing up to now? 

ETA- Obviously not Cola Warrior approved. You guys with these builds need to start Cola Warrior Arfpocalypse Edition.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:13:05 PM EDT
[#45]
The folks w/ welded steel buffer tubes will win the butt stroking competition.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:24:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
And the AK in a trash can contest can be changed to "build a rifle from parts found in the trash".  
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:24:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Epic
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:52:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:  And the AK in a trash can contest can be changed to "build a rifle from parts found in the trash".  
View Quote
To be fair to the AK, if you have a welder & a sheet metal brake, you can build an AK from a trash can.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:59:24 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm holding out on the weight until I finish it it's wayyyyyy lighter than my brother's scoped PTR-91 though and may even be lighter than my 12.5 when I stick my F1 can on it
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:15:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
Damn skippy
Page / 17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top