Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Success! didn't take long. LOL

http://i.imgur.com/t40QicT.jpg
View Quote
Ooh that's cool.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 6:19:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Red oxide on the upper might give it the look ya might like.    Maybe adog leash or bungee cord for a sling.    Maybe diamond plate for something
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:27:48 PM EDT
[#5]
It's evening now buddy!  Lets see some handguard action. LMAO  It's time for you to put your money where your mouth was???? hahhahaha
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:30:44 PM EDT
[#6]
What I've come up with so far

Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:32:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Red oxide on the upper might give it the look ya might like.    Maybe adog leash or bungee cord for a sling.    Maybe diamond plate for something
View Quote
I've got a seatbelt for the sling I'm holding off on the paint until the aluma black comes in
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:32:45 PM EDT
[#8]
While I'm sure that's a repro, that is a prototype FSB and is worth bank to retro guys.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:35:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
While I'm sure that's a repro, that is a prototype FSB and is worth bank to retro guys.
View Quote
It's a repro, I dropped $155 on the damn thing
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:36:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't doubt it for a second.

Those late 603 uppers are getting up there in price too.

I had 4-5 and got rid of all but one, they are over $200 each now for a decent one.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:42:22 PM EDT
[#11]
That's quite a bit done this afternoon. I'm impressed, and even more excited now to see it in place! Your build is AWESOME!

My 1/2x28 tap shows up Friday, so I should have a flash hider by the end of the weekend.  

With the other threads showing up, the cola warrior guy that posted earlier may actually see what he suggested.  End of World AR SHOOTS!
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:43:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I had 4-5 and got rid of all but one, they are over $200 each now for a decent one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't doubt it, BURN donated the upper and it was a pretty rough example thankfully.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:45:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Also, that looks like a pretty newish rake to be in the shop... I have a love hate relationship with that wheel style. Or more specifically that wheel style in the configuration I have.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:50:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That's quite a bit done this afternoon. I'm impressed, and even more excited now to see it in place! Your build is AWESOME!

My 1/2x28 tap shows up Friday, so I should have a flash hider by the end of the weekend.  

With the other threads showing up, the cola warrior guy that posted earlier may actually see what he suggested.  End of World AR SHOOTS!
View Quote
Thanks! I don't know how much further I'll get, it's been a long day still need to find the bracket to attach to that strip, may just cannibalize one of the shelves that isn't bearing a lot of weight up in the attic

How are you going to tap it? Are you going to thread a 1/2" square hole or drill out a 3/8" round to 1/2" or....?

Fingers crossed on Cola Warriors of the Apocalypse
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:51:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Ah, the original dick mod
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:52:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Also, that looks like a pretty newish rake to be in the shop... I have a love hate relationship with that wheel style. Or more specifically that wheel style in the configuration I have.
View Quote
One of the hands wrapped it around a tree last week I should have been on it but hindsight is 20/20 yaddayaddayadda
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:57:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Thanks! I don't know how much further I'll get, it's been a long day still need to find the bracket to attach to that strip, may just cannibalize one of the shelves that isn't bearing a lot of weight up in the attic

How are you going to tap it? Are you going to thread a 1/2" square hole or drill out a 3/8" round to 1/2" or....?

Fingers crossed on Cola Warriors of the Apocalypse
View Quote
Drill a 3/8 socket and thread is my plan.

My advice. Screw a plate to the grip and then weld that plate or attach it via the shelving keymod.  Or better yet, screw the male version of the shelving "keymod" to it and leave an extended tab you can screw into to bolt it tight.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:58:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

One of the hands wrapped it around a tree last week I should have been on it but hindsight is 20/20 yaddayaddayadda
View Quote
Oh, so you hire the same caliber of guys I do. HAHAHAHA
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:01:52 PM EDT
[#19]
How big is your spread? I saw several blues and a red in the background of one of your pics. Pretty sure your farm is a much bigger scale than my hobby. I'm 130 acres. With way more equipment than I should have for it's size. But I love toys!!!
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:15:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Sooooo possible bad idea happened brazed on the OG keymod since there's no more gas for the mig....

It never got hot enough to boil water off the barrel so I don't think I fucked up

Tape was there to keep splatter off from the mig before I realised we were out....that's gonna be fun to get off
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:20:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

My advice. Screw a plate to the grip and then weld that plate or attach it via the shelving keymod.  Or better yet, screw the male version of the shelving "keymod" to it and leave an extended tab you can screw into to bolt it tight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Good idea on the socket, that's what I'd do.

I thought of permanently attaching the grip but wanted to keep access to my gas block

Quoted:

Oh, so you hire the same caliber of guys I do. HAHAHAHA
Just college kids from the local tech school, feels weird being the boss of guys I go to school with

Quoted:
How big is your spread? I saw several blues and a red in the background of one of your pics. Pretty sure your farm is a much bigger scale than my hobby. I'm 130 acres. With way more equipment than I should have for it's size. But I love toys!!!
It's all my dad's but we do custom hay baling and amateur hour farming the home place is about 1000 acres, we farm about 400 IIRC and no telling how man acres of hay we cover but we did ~8k rounds and 12k squares last year
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:24:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Yeah I know....I was just thinking of how I'd do it but am not too sure
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Something needs to be done to make the upper receiver look more worn or something its the only part that kinda seems out of place.
Yeah I know....I was just thinking of how I'd do it but am not too sure
Put it in the wifes dryer with some gravel.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:31:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Good idea on the socket, that's what I'd do.

I thought of permanently attaching the grip but wanted to keep access to my gas block

Just college kids from the local tech school, feels weird being the boss of guys I go to school with

It's all my dad's but we do custom hay baling and amateur hour farming the home place is about 1000 acres, we farm about 400 IIRC and no telling how man acres of hay we cover but we did ~8k rounds and 12k squares last year
View Quote
Leaving a tang behind the grip you bolt to the rail wont make a permanent mount, just semi permanent.

1k acre's is nearly impossible in my area, but I've worked ranches in NM as big as 300k acres. I miss those days...

I've thrown as many as 3k in a week onto a wagon back in the day we did squares between our hay and adjoined neighbors. We used to and really still do, help each other out.

You guys dry up on Hay (round bales) I can probably work a fair deal between us this year. Sent about 50 to the Kansas drought thing a few months ago.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:36:41 PM EDT
[#24]
@12k squares, you have an auto stacker...  Being in texas, do you have to irrigate all that field land?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:46:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Ohhhhhh I gotcha on the grip, that's a good idea. I've got a matching piece of shelving bracket I can use to bolt it to.

We use an 8 bale accumulator with a grapple, 870000000 times better than by hand no irrigation here, I'm on the East Texas/Hill Country border so we're pretty well off on water. You don't really start seeing irrigation stuff unless you go further south or west.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:01:52 PM EDT
[#26]
DON'T keymod go the other way 
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:08:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
DON'T keymod go the other way 
View Quote
[joglee]This is the way HK does it so it's superior perfection![/joglee]

My logic was that pulling it towards you won't loosen it this way
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:49:46 PM EDT
[#28]
The brazing is a nice touch, I like it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:27:23 AM EDT
[#29]
What's it weigh so far? (Edit: NVM, that was asked on the last page.)
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:40:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Ug I finally have almost everything to start one of these and now they are sold out
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:55:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Yeah, they'll have another run soon.  Interestingly, the large frame is sold out as well.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:58:01 AM EDT
[#32]
yea I checked that too 

I hope it is just the arfcom popularity
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:15:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Frequent updates with pictures. Anybody considering making a build thread better learn a thing or two from OP.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:47:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
yea I checked that too 

I hope it is just the arfcom popularity
View Quote
Do you have a Dremel?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:55:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Foregrip attached.

Shortened the grip by about an inch too. It's a hair canted clockwise....perfect for a righty but not very lefty friendly

Turns out my FSB is ever so slightly canted too....just enough for when you lay it upsidedown (on the sights) you can barely slip a sheet of thin notebook paper under it (the left ear) with some catching. Is that close enough to sight in or should I cut the bolt attaching it to my forend and attempt? to slightly adjust?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:34:13 AM EDT
[#36]
See if you can sight it in 1st.  Had an M4 issued to me that looked like it was run over by a truck; from mechanical zero, it shot a foot to the right @ 25 yds.  Still managed to zero it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:48:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Looks Great!
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:49:43 AM EDT
[#38]
@GilenusX207 you're engraved bud!

@smokie you're done too bud, not as easy to see now but once I refinish I'll get it there
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:52:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Looks Great!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Looks Great!
I think it looks a lot better than before for sure I cannot wait for the damn aluma black to get here already......

Quoted:
See if you can sight it in 1st.  Had an M4 issued to me that looked like it was run over by a truck; from mechanical zero, it shot a foot to the right @ 25 yds.  Still managed to zero it.
Well that gives me hope! I mean it totals maybe a degree or two max
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:04:32 PM EDT
[#40]
You might want to cut a bit off that bolt and clearance the barrel a bit
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:32:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
You might want to cut a bit off that bolt and clearance the barrel a bit
View Quote
Yeah I'll chop it. It'll probably touch once everything starts flexing
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:46:41 PM EDT
[#42]
wow!!..its like a old pos chevy luv truck with a 305 under the hood that will run low 12;s.....love it...nice work man!
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 1:02:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Much props OP!! 

I am both repulsed and inspired at the same time.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:52:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Much props OP!! 

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Much props OP!! 

Quoted:
wow!!..its like a old pos chevy luv truck with a 305 under the hood that will run low 12;s.....love it...nice work man!
Thanks guys just got back from my last class of the week so I aughta wrap most everything up short of aesthetics this afternoon.

I still have no idea how I'm going to mount a bayonet on this thing though
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 3:07:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Need a shotgun style mount on the flashhider.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 3:43:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Sling slang slung

Link Posted: 5/25/2017 3:44:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Need a shotgun style mount on the flashhider.
View Quote
Like an 1897 trenchgun?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 3:46:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Thanks guys just got back from my last class of the week so I aughta wrap most everything up short of aesthetics this afternoon.

View Quote
Can you make a big ugly spike out of a piece of that shelving material that mates with your hand guard?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 3:57:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Can you make a big ugly spike out of a piece of that shelving material that mates with your hand guard?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmmmmmm....I didn't think about that. Wouldn't be terribly strong but for shits and giggles that'll work!
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 4:04:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Is there any sort of angle iron shaped bracket with those mounting tabs? That'd be stronger and uglier than a flat piece.
Page / 17
Top Top