Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/28/2017 12:00:15 AM EDT
I've been watching review videos of this optic and one of the guys said it never turns off. So then I started searching for this answer and can't determine 100% if this is the case.

I don't give a fuck about the battery life. I know it can last 30k hours. I'm more concerned with LED life. LED lifespans are measured in 50-100k hours right?

So does one of the settings on the PRO completely shut it down?  This isn't going to be my home defense always ready to go rifle, so I won't be leaving it on ready to deploy at all times.

Also, from the reviews I've seen, it looked like it had more night settings than day settings. Is this just camera issues?
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:03:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Remove the battery. 

Or just stop worrying about it. There are decades old Aimpoints still going strong that have never been turned off. 
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:04:54 AM EDT
[#2]
No, they do not have switches. You buy it and when it goes dark you throw it away.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:05:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Mine will turn off or at least the dot goes away when you turn the knob all the way tto the left.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:09:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mine will turn off or at least the dot goes away when you turn the knob all the way tto the left.
View Quote
Are you saying that all the way left is off, or it's the dimmest NV setting?
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:10:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I thought turning the knob all the way to the left turns it off????
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:11:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I know Aimpoint being mentioned always creates a real swooning, head over heels in love circlejerkfest on this site but you would think for the huge sums that Aimpoint charges for these sights they would engineer them to, oh I don't know, turn on with movement and turn off after 10 minutes of no movement?  Wouldn't that be even better instead of having to leave a sight on continuously?

Its a shame that much lower priced, yet equally or better performing, Chinese made sights do just that, along with the 30,000-50,000 hr battery life in addition to auto/auto off.  But they don't say AIMPOINT on the side so they are unimportant and for people who need to "go be poor somewhere else."
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:14:27 AM EDT
[#7]
The Aimpoint pro has an off setting. Not sure why that's hard to figure out
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:16:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I know Aimpoint being mentioned always creates a real swooning, head over heels in love circlejerkfest on this site but you would think for the huge sums that Aimpoint charges for these sights they would engineer them to, oh I don't know, turn on with movement and turn off after 10 minutes of no movement?  Wouldn't that be even better instead of having to leave a sight on continuously?

Its a shame that much lower priced, yet equally or better performing, Chinese made sights do just that, along with the 30,000-50,000 hr battery life in addition to auto/auto off.  But they don't say AIMPOINT on the side so they are unimportant and for people who need to "go be poor somewhere else."
View Quote
Probably because that feature is just another potential failure point. The batteries last so long that such a feature is unnecessary.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:17:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes it turns off but I've never turned mine off, it just stays at an appropriate brightness for night use.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:17:34 AM EDT
[#10]
All the way left is the lowest night vision setting, no off switch you just can't see it without NV.

The Aimpoints don't actually stay on they just flicker really fast.  Turning off a couple times a second will extend the LEDs life well beyond the 100k real time expected life.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:19:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Go be poor somewhere else.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:20:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Read this thread. One guy says it turns off, another says it just dims.

Are you 100% certain that it turns off?
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:20:51 AM EDT
[#13]
don't you night vision bro?
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:21:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Mine have always turned off.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:23:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Probably because that feature is just another potential failure point. The batteries last so long that such a feature is unnecessary.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure.  I guess a mechanical switch that has to be rotated all the time to get the correct brightness will wear much longer than an electronic diode or software or what have you that has no moving parts.  I just think Aimpoint is not keeping up with the market like they should.  I expect in a year or less they will unveil yet another Tier 1 sight that will have auto on/auto off and auto adjust brightness (like at least one model of "cheap Chinese junk") and it will be proclaimed as the Second Coming of Christ by this site while loud exclamations of "that's the most awesome feature evar!!!111!!!" thrust forth.  In addition to hordes of basement dwellers blowing cash on it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:25:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
According to the manual it is a 10 position switch, 4 NV and 6 daylight one of which is bright. I got mine out of the safe to verify. The rotary switch only has 10 positions which I assume all the way to the left would be the lowest NV setting. I don't have any NV, but I can't see the dot until the 3rd setting in a windowless closet. So I guess what I thought was off wasn't. Oh well..
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:26:31 AM EDT
[#17]
FYI, the manual says that the CompM3 and Pro do not have off settings. 4 NV settings and 6 daylight settings.

I actually wasn't aware of this

Quoted:
Sure.  I guess a mechanical switch that has to be rotated all the time to get
the correct brightness will wear much longer than an electronic diode
or software or what have you that has no moving parts.  I just think
Aimpoint is not keeping up with the market like they should.  I expect
in a year or less they will unveil yet another Tier 1 sight that will
have auto on/auto off and auto adjust brightness (like at least one
model of "cheap Chinese junk") and it will be proclaimed as the Second
Coming of Christ by this site while loud exclamations of "that's the
most awesome feature evar!!!111!!!" thrust forth.  In addition to hordes
of basement dwellers blowing cash on it.
View Quote
The fact that Aimpoint doesn't do gimmicks is likely the reason that they have such an excellent reputation.

And LOL @ "better performing"
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:27:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
HUGE price? Same quality and better performing from China?

lulz
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:28:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Auto-on, Auto-off is a relative delicate mechanism; I much prefer it not do that.  The battery life is measured in years, just keep it on.  Or keep it on when it's out of the safe.  It's not that hard.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:30:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am 100% certain it stays on.

From the Aimpoint website.
first 4 settings  are for use with NVDs. This means that the dot will only be visible through a NVD.If you continue turning the switch, the dot becomes visible to the naked eye, and the sight can be used in daylight. 
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:30:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Double tap
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:34:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
FYI, the manual says that the CompM3 and Pro do not have off settings. 4 NV settings and 6 daylight settings.

The fact that Aimpoint doesn't do gimmicks is likely the reason that they have such an excellent reputation.

View Quote
I've been using Aimpoint M2's, M3's, M4's and PRO's for several years and I never knew they didn't turn off. But I actually leave mine on the low setting all the time anyways. Having an LED burn out was never something I was concerned about. A lot of M2's are well over ten years old and still chugging along. Should I be worried?
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:40:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
No, they do not have switches. You buy it and when it goes dark you throw it away.
View Quote
My house happens to be a certified Aimpoin disposal facility.

Sssoooo....send it to me.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:42:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Unless I am mistaken, the life of an led is dependent on the current driving it, so it it has a 50,000 hour life on high it would likely be an order of magnitude or two higher if left on the lowest setting.

If I were you, I wouldn't worry about it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:44:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
You've obviously never heard of paralax or used a Chinese knock off after dropping your weapon.
I've had a few of the POS Chinese red dots thinking maybe this one would be better.

Nope.
They're all in the circular file now and only genuine Aimpoints are on my rifles.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:45:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I've been using Aimpoint M2's, M3's, M4's and PRO's for several years and I never knew they didn't turn off. But I actually leave mine on the low setting all the time anyways. Having an LED burn out was never something I was concerned about. A lot of M2's are well over ten years old and still chugging along. Should I be worried?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't think so. Aimpoint apparently claims that the LEDs will last a lifetime, probably because they're so underdriven. Yet another thing I would question on a cheap Chinese optic...
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:47:35 AM EDT
[#27]
My Aimpoint PRO has an advertised battery life of 3.5 years.

Mine has been running for almost 6 years on the original factory battery. I bought it in May 2011.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:47:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
No. That introduces multiple ways of failure. The fucking things stay lit up in constant on for years at a time off one battery. Whining about wanting a motion activated on-off is silly. And no, Chinese made sights don't perform equally or better. People saying that...don't own an Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:51:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have five of them, and don't want that feature on any of them.

My oldest one was from 2012 and was on until my 2015 deployment. Battery was removed but dead upon return, changed it out still on. It sits on one of the bright settings to avoid washout when I key my flashlight at night.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:53:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Why turn it off?  Just leave it on and replace the batteries every year.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 1:00:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
I would HATE a time out off function.

"Hey there's a deer/commie/zombie!" .......where the fuck is that switch?
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 1:07:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Why turn it off?  Just leave it on and replace the batteries every year.
View Quote
Did you read the OP?
Not concerned with the battery... The components however... Do they have a 20 year duty cycle of being on constantly?

Why not just put an OFF notch on the switch? Planned obsolescence?

I guess as long as I consider this optic as disposable, I won't be disappointed in 10-20 years when the electronics give out from being on constantly since the engineers never designed OFF as an option.

The way arfcom nuts over Aimpoints, I had a mental construct of it being invincible... Something I would pass down to my great grand children. I need to adjust this thinking it seems. While some may actually last that long, chances are something will happen to it by then.

What's the oldest working Aimpoint out there? Just curious.

I'll probably still get an Aimpoint...I just lost some faith in the Koolaid when I learned that they never turn off.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 1:15:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I would HATE a time out off function.

"Hey there's a deer/commie/zombie!" .......where the fuck is that switch?
View Quote
Non-issue with a motion sensor. Every time I grab my AR pistol out of the safe and look, the sight has turned on (Holosun) just from grabbing it.

I have an Aimpoint PRO too (all the way left is indeed lowest NV setting, not off), I think the Holosun is a pretty good little sight, the LED life on the Holosun is lower than the Aimpoint, which is why it's important that it shuts off by itself, despite the 50k hour battery life.

I would not worry about the Aimpoint LED life, especially with the sight on the lowest setting.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 1:16:10 AM EDT
[#34]
You want something that'll last forever buy a Nightforce.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 1:16:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
You know what I'm going to say, right?

Link Posted: 3/28/2017 1:17:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Sure.  I guess a mechanical switch that has to be rotated all the time to get the correct brightness will wear much longer than an electronic diode or software or what have you that has no moving parts.  I just think Aimpoint is not keeping up with the market like they should.  I expect in a year or less they will unveil yet another Tier 1 sight that will have auto on/auto off and auto adjust brightness (like at least one model of "cheap Chinese junk") and it will be proclaimed as the Second Coming of Christ by this site while loud exclamations of "that's the most awesome feature evar!!!111!!!" thrust forth.  In addition to hordes of basement dwellers blowing cash on it.
View Quote
You're still being poor here.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 1:20:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
You want something that'll last forever buy a Nightforce.
View Quote
Yeah that Nightforce RDS is super awesome.  Where do I find one?
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 1:50:57 AM EDT
[#38]
I happen to have my Aimpoint PRO's box and instructions at hand.  It says that turning the rotary switch fully counterclockwise turns it OFF.  So there.

Link Posted: 3/28/2017 1:57:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I happen to have my Aimpoint PRO's box and instructions at hand.  It says that turning the rotary switch fully counterclockwise turns it OFF.  So there.

View Quote
PFFT! Instruction manuals! PFFT!
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 2:06:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
Botach
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 2:07:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Botach
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Botach
A Nightforce Red Dot Sight (RDS)?  

Got a link for this unicorn?
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 2:17:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

A Nightforce Red Dot Sight (RDS)?  

Got a link for this unicorn?
View Quote
gotta wait til Black Friday
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 2:34:14 AM EDT
[#43]
You seem to be saying you want a Mepro RDS, so go buy one. I like those and my PROs. I've got 3 of each. Oldest battery in my PRO is minimum 4 years old.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 2:34:52 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

There are 10 positions, the first four of which are NV settings, my manual makes no mention of turning the sight off.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 2:37:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't want mine turning on or off by itself. I'm fine with leaving mine on and changing the battery every 3 years

If I want it turned off I'll turn it of. I don't know if the far left position is full off but I'm sure the battery would probably last 10 years in that position.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 2:38:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

See sig line
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 2:42:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have aimpoints, PA micro dots and burris FF3's

Am I stupid for owning the aimpoints or cool because I own the PA micros?  Where does the Burris fall in this? Too expensive? Cheap enough?
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 2:47:46 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Did you read the OP?
Not concerned with the battery... The components however... Do they have a 20 year duty cycle of being on constantly?

Why not just put an OFF notch on the switch? Planned obsolescence?

I guess as long as I consider this optic as disposable, I won't be disappointed in 10-20 years when the electronics give out from being on constantly since the engineers never designed OFF as an option.

The way arfcom nuts over Aimpoints, I had a mental construct of it being invincible... Something I would pass down to my great grand children. I need to adjust this thinking it seems. While some may actually last that long, chances are something will happen to it by then.

What's the oldest working Aimpoint out there? Just curious.

I'll probably still get an Aimpoint...I just lost some faith in the Koolaid when I learned that they never turn off.
View Quote
I think the problem isn't with the aimpoint, it's with your lack of knowledge about the technology. Chances are very very good it will live longer than you do
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 3:25:25 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
And when the motion sensor fails to work? I'll take the one that you can leave on for years and then easily change a battery
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 6:33:43 AM EDT
[#50]
At the lowest setting on the PRO, current draw is possibly somewhere about 100 picoamps, but I can't say for sure until because I don't have a meter that will measure down to fempto-amps, but I'll say there is NOT an off, (no current draw), position.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top