Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 6:38:48 AM EDT
[#1]
This is interesting and new info to me. I always wondered how they prevent the dial from losing contact. I've seen several RDS fail due to heavy use and loose selector. Good call, Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 6:39:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know Aimpoint being mentioned always creates a real swooning, head over heels in love circlejerkfest on this site but you would think for the huge sums that Aimpoint charges for these sights they would engineer them to, oh I don't know, turn on with movement and turn off after 10 minutes of no movement?  Wouldn't that be even better instead of having to leave a sight on continuously?

Its a shame that much lower priced, yet equally or better performing, Chinese made sights do just that, along with the 30,000-50,000 hr battery life in addition to auto/auto off.  But they don't say AIMPOINT on the side so they are unimportant and for people who need to "go be poor somewhere else."
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 6:39:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Are you saying that all the way left is off, or it's the dimmest NV setting?
View Quote
I'm pretty sure it's the dimmest setting. I don't think it does turn off. 
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 6:50:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
No, they do not have switches. You buy it and when it goes dark you throw it away.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 7:00:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 7:08:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Jesus Tapdancing Christ  

If only there were some sort of website with a user manual available online.

It might even contain the line "Switch, dot brightness: 10 pos. 1 Off, 9 daylight of which 1 Extra Bright"
View Quote
Hmmmmm......

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 7:29:30 AM EDT
[#7]
OP, what is the alternative sight you would consider?
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 7:35:27 AM EDT
[#8]
After reading this thread I am glad I don't have an Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 7:36:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Anyone who wants to turn off their Aimpoint is gay.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 7:41:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Jesus Tapdancing Christ  

It might even contain the line "Switch, dot brightness: 10 pos. 1 Off, 9 daylight of which 1 Extra Bright"
View Quote
The Pro doesn't have an Off position
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 7:57:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 8:23:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I copied straight out of the manual, so their website is not consistent with the pdf.

So I guess there isn't.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jesus Tapdancing Christ  

The Pro doesn't have an Off position
I copied straight out of the manual, so their website is not consistent with the pdf.

So I guess there isn't.
They have the wrong manual under the Pro listing; it's for the Comp and 9000 series. Click the Field Guide and the Pro manual comes up.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 8:41:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Silly GD - from the - gasp!, "User Manual"

Attachment Attached File

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 8:56:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Only way to tell is to measure current draw on the lowest setting.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:07:42 AM EDT
[#15]
I had one when they first came out and have since replaced it with an ACOG, so I can't go check.  But, I assumed it turned off when I turned the dial all the way left.  Very easily could have been just the lowest NV setting.  So, to answer your question, I don't know.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:09:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Does anyone have NVD who can turn the dial all the way left, then examine it with NVD?
The documentation that people are referencing says "OFF" but I wonder if Aimpoint really means "OFF" in quotes to indicate that it's a practical "OFF" and not a dead-OFF.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:16:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Only way to tell is to measure current draw on the lowest setting.
View Quote
See last post on 1st page.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:17:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Read this thread. One guy says it turns off, another says it just dims.

Are you 100% certain that it turns off?
View Quote
How many brightness settings does the PRO have?

How many clicks are there on the dial?

Therein lies your answer.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:26:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I know Aimpoint being mentioned always creates a real swooning, head over heels in love circlejerkfest on this site but you would think for the huge sums that Aimpoint charges for these sights they would engineer them to, oh I don't know, turn on with movement and turn off after 10 minutes of no movement?  Wouldn't that be even better instead of having to leave a sight on continuously?

Its a shame that much lower priced, yet equally or better performing, Chinese made sights do just that, along with the 30,000-50,000 hr battery life in addition to auto/auto off.  But they don't say AIMPOINT on the side so they are unimportant and for people who need to "go be poor somewhere else."
View Quote
Not to derail, but what is a good cheaper dot?
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:27:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Does anyone have NVD who can turn the dial all the way left, then examine it with NVD?
The documentation that people are referencing says "OFF" but I wonder if Aimpoint really means "OFF" in quotes to indicate that it's a practical "OFF" and not a dead-OFF.
View Quote
Holy shit. This is getting more and more ridiculous.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:32:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Holy shit. This is getting more and more ridiculous.
View Quote
I find it more ridiculous that they didn't put in an off option.  I also find it quite interesting that half the people in this thread didn't know that it doesn't turn off. Furthermore, the mixed info being quoted in the documentation is also weird.

I'm actually proposing a scientific experiment. Something concrete, and repeatable.  If I told you the sky was blue in the earth's instruction manual, would you just assume it's blue, or would you look at the sky and observe that it's blue?

ETA

Clearly it was designed to run constantly... Without giving the owner the option to turn it off. Is there a practical benefit to this?  Does making one of the notches an OFF position weaken there optic somehow?

Does that create the possibility that recoil could trip the optic off? Why make it this way?
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:41:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Are you saying that all the way left is off, or it's the dimmest NV setting?
View Quote
I believe its OFF then a couple NV clicks then goes visual and up from there. Ive had mine 4 years and it still hasn't died so...
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:45:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I thought turning the knob all the way to the left turns it off????
View Quote
It does on both of mine - one about 4 yrs old, one brand new
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:49:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Go be poor somewhere else.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go be poor somewhere else.
That go be poor shit is gaining alot of traction around here. Still funny though.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:52:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Cute...Chicom sights.

Your rifle, your choice. My rifle, my choice. There is a reason why you don't see Chicom POS optics being used in the real world by people that matter.

"Oh, but the vendors have really good CS."

Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:54:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Aimpoint pro has an off setting. Not sure why that's hard to figure out

Why don't you just ask Aimpoint?
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:55:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Cute...Chicom sights.

Your rifle, your choice. My rifle, my choice. There is a reason why you don't see Chicom POS optics being used in the real world by people that matter.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cute...Chicom sights.

In my case. Vortex spitfire for the win. Since i have gimpy eyes and all that.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:55:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Sure.  I guess a mechanical switch that has to be rotated all the time to get the correct brightness will wear much longer than an electronic diode or software or what have you that has no moving parts.  I just think Aimpoint is not keeping up with the market like they should.  I expect in a year or less they will unveil yet another Tier 1 sight that will have auto on/auto off and auto adjust brightness (like at least one model of "cheap Chinese junk") and it will be proclaimed as the Second Coming of Christ by this site while loud exclamations of "that's the most awesome feature evar!!!111!!!" thrust forth.  In addition to hordes of basement dwellers blowing cash on it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably because that feature is just another potential failure point. The batteries last so long that such a feature is unnecessary.
Sure.  I guess a mechanical switch that has to be rotated all the time to get the correct brightness will wear much longer than an electronic diode or software or what have you that has no moving parts.  I just think Aimpoint is not keeping up with the market like they should.  I expect in a year or less they will unveil yet another Tier 1 sight that will have auto on/auto off and auto adjust brightness (like at least one model of "cheap Chinese junk") and it will be proclaimed as the Second Coming of Christ by this site while loud exclamations of "that's the most awesome feature evar!!!111!!!" thrust forth.  In addition to hordes of basement dwellers blowing cash on it.
You seem angry.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:03:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've had an Aimpoint for like a decade and I've changed the battery twice.

This is a non issue. Also, an auto on/off is just adding complexity where it isn't needed.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:04:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:04:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
I thought it was the lowest night vision setting
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:06:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Because you need more battery life than 3-8 years and want another variables that could fail like auto on/off?

Sounds reasonable.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:07:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Mine have always turned off.
View Quote
They do not. It's the lowest NV setting you're unable to see with the naked eye
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:08:34 AM EDT
[#34]
I have NV and wondered why I could still see the dot with my Aimpoint M3 turned "off". It was very dim but still visible through the PVS-14. Then I read one of these threads a few years ago and learned that they do not actually have an "OFF" setting but rather a lowest NV setting.

I assume that the PRO is the same way. I may try it tonight if I'm bored.

In the manual, it states that the ML3 has an OFF setting and 9 brightness settings. The ML models do not have NV capability but have obviously more daytime visible options.

My question is...is the PRO a re-named M2 (but with 2MOA dot) or an M3 (but with shorter battery life 30K rather than 50K)?? Or is the PRO made cheaper somehow and is not the same as either the M2 or M3.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:10:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
Part of what makes Aimpoint so reliable is simple solid state switches.   They would be out of their mind to add G sensors, and circuitry that can fail just to turn the sight on and off, when there is no reason for it due to the long battery life.  

OP: To answer your question there is no off, and one isn't needed.  The furthest left is the dimmest night vision setting. That tiny bit of power going through the LED will not effect it's life, and the battery draw is near the natural discharge rate of the battery.  It uses almost no energy at the lowest setting.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:13:11 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The guy who says it turns off doesn't own Gen 3 night vision, he just thinks it's off because he can't see it  
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:15:32 AM EDT
[#37]
What is the expected LED life of an Aimpoint?
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:24:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Jesus Tapdancing Christ  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Jesus Tapdancing Christ  

Jesus Tapdancing Christ    You can embed links, but fail at copying the correct paragraphs, just adding more confusion.  That is what the knob does on non-nightvision compatible models.

The PRO is Night Vision Compatible

10 positions: 4 NVD**, 6 daylight of which 1 Extra Bright               ** NVD: Night Vision Device
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:27:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
What is the expected LED life of an Aimpoint?
View Quote
~100K hours at full power.   At the low current draw of the NV settings most likely in the 10s or 100s of Millions.  It's basically a non issue.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:45:36 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
Can you show me, on the doll, where the Aimpoint touched you?
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:00:28 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Can you show me, on the doll, where the Aimpoint touched you?
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:06:56 AM EDT
[#42]
My Micro, the old silver one has been on setting 6 since I mounted it sometime around 2011 when they were discontinued...
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:20:37 AM EDT
[#43]
From the PRO model field guide:  10 positions: 4 NVD**, 6 daylight of which 1 Extra Bright
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:34:03 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:35:57 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:45:46 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
Are you jealous because Aimpoint found the Tree of Life?
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:52:16 AM EDT
[#47]
I have an original Comp M that has been working flawlessly for many many years of abuse and neglect. Its been hit, banged around the truck, dropped, painted and stripped.  Just replace the battery every so often and she keeps on ticking.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:57:06 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I just took my PVS-14 and looked through one of my Pro's. At the far most left position, there is no dot visible. 1 click right, and the dot is visible. So either my -14 is broken, or the far left position is not a NV setting.
View Quote
Sounds like an answer to me.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:11:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Photo was taken with my cellphone.

Some cameras will pick up better than others and
filming video of it will show it even better.

Dot is white in the distance and setting is all the way
to the left on the Aimpoint Pro.

Hope that helps.

Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:12:39 PM EDT
[#50]
In this thread we learn who doesn't own an Aimpoint but gives info/advice about them.

Also who doesn't under stand

underdriven LED lifespand (think longer than you should care about)

Auto ON/OFF circuits consume power 100% of the time and include electrical devices that have a fail % higher than a underdriven LED that is always on.  On a side note, the action of turning on an electrical device is usually what kills them.  You are better off leaving them on if power consumption and lack of heat build up allow it.

If you really want an Off position get a Comp C3, they also have a longer On time than the PRO just no NV
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top