Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/26/2017 3:50:14 AM EDT
A while back we had a thread on the remains of a German fighter being excavated from a field in Denmark.

The pilot remained on board and has now been identified as 19 year old Hans Wunderlich. He was born in Bavaria in 1925 and was declared dead in March 1945. His last remaining relative was his sister who died in 2006.

Deutsche Dienststelle confirmed his identity from papers which had survived in the crash site.

His remains are kept at the University of Aarhus forensic institute. The fate of his remains hasn't been determined, but it's possible that he'll be buried at a military cemetary in Denmark.

link in gibberish
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 3:57:58 AM EDT
[#1]
19?  Damn.  Germany was really scraping the bottom of the barrel by that point.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 4:17:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 4:19:13 AM EDT
[#3]
wow

great they where able to identifie him

what a shame he has no family left in Germany
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 4:37:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Danish isn't a language, it' a speech impediment.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 4:40:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 5:29:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I would think the Germans would take care of bringing him home.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 5:32:48 AM EDT
[#7]
19?

It is a shame that he has no surviving family though.

I imagine the German gov't will shit on him.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 5:54:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I still think the farmer whose farm the plane was buried on is an asshole. He buried that plane knowing there was a body in it and never did anything to remove it and largely forgot about it until his son dug it up.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 5:58:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I still think the farmer whose farm the plane was buried on is an asshole. He buried that plane knowing there was a body in it and never did anything to remove it and largely forgot about it until his son dug it up.
View Quote
Meh, I have a hard time caring about dead Nazis. 
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 6:21:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Agreed
ETA hey post 1234!
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 6:36:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not sure I would call him a Nazi.  19.  He was 13 when the war started.

I doubt he was a guard at a concentration camp, killed Jews or or other inmates.

Probably was pulled from a reserve unit based on education or some aviation experience.

I bet he had minimal flight training.   "Here is how to take off and here is the switch for the guns"

In March 1945 it is a miracle he made it to France without being shot down by Allied fighters.  Hard to believe there was even an intact airfield to takeoff from.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 6:40:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because you served in the German armed forces in WWII does not a Nazi make.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 6:40:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not that odd actually. Pilots were very young then.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 6:43:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I would think the Germans would take care of bringing him home.
View Quote
That would cut into the refugee funding. 
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 6:46:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
Edit. Apparently I was wrong
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 6:51:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
How do you know he buried it knowing the pilot was still there?
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 6:53:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Farmer must have had a Caterpillar to bury the plane, to hard by hand.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 6:54:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wow. 19 yo pilot goes down and this is your response?

Do you want to know, how I know you, didn't serve in the Queen's military?
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 6:57:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

IIRC the Nazis had a history of killing the farm owners when they found plane wreckage on their land, so farmers buried planes that were shit down to avoid that fate.  Hard to call the farmer an asshole for wanting to save His life due to circumstances beyond his control.
View Quote
Are there any documented examples of Nazis killing farmers simply for owning land where a plane crashed?

Occupying German forces frequently prohibited locals from inspecting a crash site, but I have never heard of them killing someone for owning the land.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 6:58:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Are they going to posthumously charge him with war crimes?
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 6:59:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Are there any documented examples of Nazis killing farmers simply for owning land where a plane crashed?

Occupying German forces frequently prohibited locals from inspecting a crash site, but I have never heard of them killing someone for owning the land.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IIRC the Nazis had a history of killing the farm owners when they found plane wreckage on their land, so farmers buried planes that were shit down to avoid that fate.  Hard to call the farmer an asshole for wanting to save His life due to circumstances beyond his control.

None that I can think of. 
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 7:03:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
Only seems reasonable.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 7:03:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Came to post.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 7:06:52 AM EDT
[#24]
IBTL.  Nazi talk usually descends into crazy town.  Farmer mist have figured getting buried in the fighter was next best thing to military funeral.  Too bad he has no family left at all. 
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 7:08:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
You must be too busy helping Syrian refugees acclimate to Canadian values.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 7:33:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Yes.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 7:36:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Damn, you're so edgy and cool!

No wonder GD loves you!!
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:01:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
Meh. You occupy my country, you get buried in a field and forgotten.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:03:02 AM EDT
[#29]
The link asked me in Danish if it was ok if they gave me cookies.   What a nice site- Danish cookies are usually so good.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:21:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
The Germans invaded and occupied his country, rounded up and extinguished many of his countrymen, probably looted his farm's produce, his personal wealth and God knows what else they did.

AND you expect him to have sympathy for one of these invaders?

It is also very likely that if he reported this to the proper authorities his reward would have been another more thorough search of his home and more scrutiny of his family history.

SSS was a very real survival necessity for many in NAZI occupied Europe.

However, the GD uniform fetish is fully erect so don't let me interrupt the online circle jerk.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:25:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The Germans invaded and occupied his country, rounded up and extinguished many of his countrymen, probably looted his farm's produce, his personal wealth and God knows what else they did.

It is also very likely that if he reported this to the proper authorities his reward would have been another more thorough search of his home and more scrutiny of his family history.

However, the GD uniform fetish is fully erect so don't let me interrupt the online circle jerk.
View Quote
Or he turned in his fellow countrymen  good chance of that as well.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:29:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Not that odd actually. Pilots were very young then.
View Quote
Yeah wasn't George H W Bush 18 when he became a Naval pilot
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:31:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Mutually unintelligible.  No civilized man can understand such gibberish.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:34:25 AM EDT
[#34]
I like coffee with my Danish.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:36:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:40:41 AM EDT
[#36]
In this thread, we see who hasn't yet figured out that most of the WW2 history they 'know' is actually propaganda.

I hope this young man's soul is at rest.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:41:29 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
Haha, I was a 19 year old helicopter pilot in the Army during peacetime. Guess we were desperate too!
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:42:23 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.
More people from Denmark died fighting as volunteers on the eastern front then died as a result of the occupation.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:44:56 AM EDT
[#39]
The area where the plane crashed was a swamp in WWII days.
Is why the plane was 12 feet under the dirt.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:47:13 AM EDT
[#40]
It's similar to Austrian.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:51:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
wait..........I was just 19 in 1971 when I graduated from U.S. Army Flight School!  I don't think of it as though they were scraping the bottom of the barrel.  I did just fine in a very hot shooting war winning 4- Distinguished Flying Crosses and 36- Air Medals.  George H.W. Bush was also a very young naval pilot when he won his first DFC.  Surprisingly 19 y.o.'s are very capable if given the opportunity.

ETA:  Young men like that are strong, have sharp eyesight and fast reactions.  Most of all, they are fearless and bulletproof (somewhat)!
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:55:50 AM EDT
[#42]
I read somewhere the farm was near a former German training base, perhaps he was a training casualty?
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:03:43 AM EDT
[#43]
"I don't give doodley shit about Jews, or Nazis"!
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:05:58 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
My neighbor, Hayden C., had his ship shot out from under him by not one but TWO kamakaze's when he was a 17year old US Navy sailor.

Rest in Peace, Hans...the war is over. May God comfort your soul.

(eta: NOT an 88'er...just a fellow human, who has often found himself caught up in the games of others.)
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:11:47 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
  The average age of RAF pilots during the Battle of Britain was only 20. It was common to be went to a fighter squadron with 200 total flight hours,even fewer later in the war for Germany and many of those would have been on gliders. This is why the Germans said "-there were the aces of aces and everybody else". Everybody else were the tens of thousands from all countries killed in mishaps and shot down in droves. Nobody had the time to train pilots to the extent they are today. The US wasn't faced with imminent invasion so it had the luxury of the best pilots,the Soviets the least so which is why the experten racked up so many kills in the east.

Germany was to the point that had the war gone on even a few months longer that 15-16 year olds trained entirely on gliders would have been sent up in He-162s.

A whole bunch would have been crashed just learning how to actually fly the things and due to tempermental early jet problems etc.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:17:35 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
In this thread, we see who hasn't yet figured out that most of the WW2 history they 'know' is actually propaganda.

I hope this young man's soul is at rest.
View Quote
This. Holding actually items and speaking to the men/women that were there will find the actual truth.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:20:24 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
More people from Denmark died fighting as volunteers on the eastern front then died as a result of the occupation.
View Quote
SS Wiking
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:26:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
So did a lot of people in occupied countries.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:33:42 AM EDT
[#49]
He was a damn enemy combatant. The farmer is not a dick for burying him and never speaking about it. Let's be reasonable. At the time, the farmer buried him because he was  In uniform fighting for Nazi Germany; probably on a combat mission killing people. The farmer would have been executed if the Nazis found the plane on his farm.

It's been a lifetime since that plane crashed. It's not wartime. He was found and deserves a respectful military burial.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:35:59 AM EDT
[#50]
Very few people in war-time Germany were members of the Nazi party. To assume the dead pilot was a Nazi is akin to assuming every living person in the Southern States was a slave owner during the civil war.

He fought for his country and should be honored. At the time he took to the air, the war was utterly lost and even taking off was very risky. The Allies had total control of the skies.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top