BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:27:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I thought it was a rare to see any news about heroin around here 15 years ago. Now it seems like it's all you hear about. wonder what changed? price? availability?

Still don't know how anyone would willing addict themselves to heroin.
View Quote
Know how I know you don't know how it works?
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:29:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Friend was driving home last night in South Florida and thought she saw a dog on the side of the road in the grass. Turned around and it was a young girl OD'ing. Called medics and NARCAN was administered.

The most messed up thing happened to me tonight on my way back from my mom's house. I was driving down SE 5th ave in Dania beach (residential) and I passed this weird looking black thing in the grass near the sidewalk. I thought maybe it was a big lab that got hit by a car. I kept going but it did not sit right with me so I turned around and drove by it again. As I approached it, I had this weird, strong, unsettled feeling. It was a girl, face down, wearing all black but her hair was in a bun so I could see her neck. She was not responding to me at all. I called 911, it seemed like it took forever but she began to twitch alittle. It was a sweet baby Jesus moment and I was thankful she was still alive. She was lightly gasping for air and still not responding when the paramedics pulled up. Everyone was hustling, lights flashing everywhere, three cop cars and an ambulance. The paramedic examined her eyes and showed the police officer how small her pupils were. He turned to me and said you just saved her life tonight. She was overdosing on heroin. He gave her an injection to reverse it but my heart is still broken. I can never unsee that and she was going to die alone on the side of the street. Just like that... After calling my mom and trying to put words to this horrific scene, I pray this is her turning point! I pray she loves herself more tomorrow than she does today. I pray she has friends and family that will help her through this struggle. I pray she does not die today... ??
I love you mom and thanks for listening to me talk it out and try to wrap my head around that. It was really fucked up... sorry I cursed!
View Quote
You sir make up for the 50 Darwinians posting in this thread
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:30:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Yeah til your kid gets some from her friends moms cabinet

Jeez you peopleq
View Quote
People aren't really OD'ing off legitimate prescription pills from mom's medicine cabinet

It's the heroin, a lot of it laced with fentanyl
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:31:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I grew up in a small county in VA in the middle of nowhere. When I graduated in 2001 we could get pot and beer easily, everything else was pretty hard. Nowadays kids are ODing on herion every year in that same small county.
View Quote
Exactly.  Same for me.  Kids these days are no more worthy of Darwinian fate than you or I.

Things got worse.  Not the kids.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:33:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I know two that have died from opiates. 1 was my best friend

Broke his leg had on going pain the doc prescribed an opiate for. No he did tend to have an addictive personality but at any rate he couldn't get off them - had a killer job owned a home. One day drug test at work came back positive they said just bring in the prescription he never went back. At this point no one knew. At some point he started smoking heroin and friends started to catch on for example I went to lunch with him while I was in town and something just seemed very off  - right after christmas that year he checked himself into rehab. Got out 30 days later (shows how good that place was) called everyone 2 days later his mom found him OD's in his bed.

Last text I have from him was when I told him I am engaged and he said I'm packing my bags.

Crazy and such a waste of life but I can tell you first hand it was out of his control. He was an awesome person - looking back  even when he was on it you could tell he was ashamed but was helpless

Everyone has their own opinion and impacts but Yes it is a severe issue in our country and the docs, pill companies, stupid people who hurt themselves can't deal with pain and just want to take pills (doesn't mean there aren't ones it really helps - I'm referring to the house wife etc.) , gov't, many places take the blame.

My wife comes from a family with alcoholism in it - she will not take opiates no matter what. Just had surgery, got out took tylenol
View Quote
Yep it's a whole culmination of issues that caused it

Too late to stop it now though. What can the .gov do? Everything they do seems to make it worse. They already cracked down on the pills. What now?

Completely ban all pain pills and let the junkies just die off on heroin OD's? What about the people that legitimately need the pills?
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:37:16 AM EDT
[#6]
It's bad on this side of PA as well.. my wife is a RN in the ER, she says it's extremely rare to make it through her shift without atleast 1 OD.. she says before giving narcan she needs to get help in the room as these ungrateful bags of shit become billererant when they come to. Imo this is an issue that should correct itself with zero involment from the rest of us. Darwin and all..
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:38:07 AM EDT
[#7]
It's not just appalachia either.  My younger brother's best friend he grew up with in FL just OD'd a month ago or so.  Heroin.  They went to an expensive private school together.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:39:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Jeez you peopleq
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
E TN is the epicenter...fact.  

I believe it is another example of Darwin thinning out the herd...all we need to do is get out of his way.

Jeez you peopleq
No, YOU people!  

Nice try enabler excuse maker.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:42:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

People aren't really OD'ing off legitimate prescription pills from mom's medicine cabinet

View Quote

heroin ODs have been rising steadily over the past few years but prescription opioids are still a huge source of ODs
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:42:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Instead of giving Narcan up the nose I say give everyone this tool: In the extreme case where a vein can’t be found and a person is in dire need of an immediate reversal of heroin’s effects, emergency crews utilize a small cordless power drill. They drill into their patient, either in the arm or the leg, directly into a bone. Then the drill is withdrawn, and a hollow needle is left for an IV to be placed into.

I got an old big ass corded 1/2 drill.  Which size bit do I use?
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:43:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Self correcting problem.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:44:20 AM EDT
[#12]
This has another side to it in that users (young ones) who disable themselves and are unable to work and qualify for Social Security SSI. We know a young man (18) who damn near died of overdose + booze, and doctors/legal assistance fast tracked him into the SSI program. He gets $800 approx a month, and of course never paid a dime into the program. This has to be going on across the country and is a sad end to all concerned, including working taxpayers.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:45:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I thought it was a rare to see any news about heroin around here 15 years ago. Now it seems like it's all you hear about. wonder what changed? price? availability?

View Quote

We took over Afghanistan?  Thanks CIA
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:46:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jeez you peopleq

Wrong, again.

75% of opiate related deaths in the US occur with people for whom the prescription was not written.  It's a big fucking problem.

-CDC statistic.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:52:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Jeez you peopleq
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe it is another example of Darwin thinning out the herd...all we need to do is get out of his way.

Jeez you peopleq
Seriously?   Some  kid gets some from her friends moms cabinet?    With that kind of behavior, said kid should be a ward of the state.

Jeez.    Some people's children.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:54:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Wrong, again.

75% of opiate related deaths in the US occur with people for whom the prescription was not written.  It's a big fucking problem.

-CDC statistic.
View Quote
Exactly my point

Most people aren't OD'ing from their prescriptions. It's either people without prescriptions or people who had them, got addicted, then the prescription ran out. A teenager getting into mom's medicine cabinet is probably a rare scenario.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:54:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Yeah, it's a fairly common problem.   In the past it started with pills from legitimate prescriptions, but now kids are going straight to heroin.  Apparently it's kind of hip to get loaded up and then have sex.  At least that's what a few kids in high school told me when I was working an extra duty detail at a high school dance a while back.  They're pretty out in the open about it.  Eventually they just wind up using it to get zonked out of their minds. 

I'd say half the old people in town around here are addicts.  Their doctors maintain them with their prescriptions but they're addicts just as sure as the hooker who lives behind the dumpster on the bad end of town.  We have had a few OD's in local high schools.  Car crashes where the driver is zonked out and runs off the road are a daily occurrence.  Robberies are increasingly common.  Junkies are squatting in vacant houses and factories and generally destroying everything they touch.  Heroin is cheap and easy to get thanks to the Mexicans who followed their more industrious cousins who actually wanted work and a decent way of life.  It's getting more and more difficult for the black drug gangs to compete with them for a variety of logistical and social reasons. 

I've seen more than a couple of murders where everyone in a house is killed, and it's always got opiates and lesser drugs of abuse as a fairly strong part of the facts of the case.  I suspect that a certain segment of society is being fairly ruthless about their debt collecting methods.  The record so far stands at eight in one family at the same time just down the road from me. 

Once a person goes down that road of heroin abuse they never really come back.  All you can do is wish them well and keep your distance because they will eventually ruin everything they touch. 
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:55:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Instead of giving Narcan up the nose I say give everyone this tool: In the extreme case where a vein can’t be found and a person is in dire need of an immediate reversal of heroin’s effects, emergency crews utilize a small cordless power drill. They drill into their patient, either in the arm or the leg, directly into a bone. Then the drill is withdrawn, and a hollow needle is left for an IV to be placed into.

I got an old big ass corded 1/2 drill.  Which size bit do I use?
View Quote
That's already a thing.  It's called an intraosseous (IO) line.

The closest size to a 15 French IO would be 1/16th inches.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:07:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Exactly my point

Most people aren't OD'ing from their prescriptions. It's either people without prescriptions or people who had them, got addicted, then the prescription ran out. A teenager getting into mom's medicine cabinet is probably a rare scenario.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong, again.

-CDC statistic.
Exactly my point

Take a closer look at the geriatric population and you'll notice a theme.  They know, and some times are told by their Doctors, that taking too many pain pills at once can cause them to go to sleep and never wake up again.  When you're old with a million health problems and you die in your sleep nobody investigates it.  Spend some time hanging out in a dialysis clinic or a wound treatment center and you'll understand what I'm talking about.  Or visit someone who knows fairly certain that their dementia is going to turn them into a turnip long before they die.  Lots of people are using their pain pills for a permanent cure.  Unless you do a pill count as part of your initial investigation the Coroner is going to just tell you to release the body to the family and sign off on the death certificate. 

Bills paid up, dishes done, door left unlocked, house looks like it's ready for visitors...  Who am I to judge?
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:10:36 AM EDT
[#20]
It's not just a rural thing.   Lots of tech workers shooting up.

Quoted:

Things got worse.  Not the kids.
View Quote
I'm guessing you're not really familiar with what has been going on in our schools.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:11:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
Stupidity is part of it.

Tolerance and pity in our society is another major component.

People are unwilling to hate relying on drugs more than they hate pain.    As a society, we do not demean druggies for their actions, crimes, and impacts on others nearly enough.   We should be teaching kids that only disgusting people who are losers get involved in such garbage.   Until people view this shit as pure evil and completely shun such people, things will not change.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:11:27 AM EDT
[#22]
I certainly didn't expect this thread to take off like it did. While I'm a realist and generally figured it was absolutely polluting our society, I guess I didn't expect to see responses from so many varying states.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:16:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Stupidity is part of it.

People are unwilling to hate relying on drugs more than they hate pain.    As a society, we do not demean druggies for their actions, crimes, and impacts on others nearly enough.   We should be teaching kids that only disgusting people who are losers get involved in such garbage.   Until people view this shit as pure evil and completely shun such people, things will not change.
View Quote
Have you ever experienced real pain?

Not like a broken arm, but REAL pain where you can't move without blacking out and death sounds like a nice thing?
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:18:11 AM EDT
[#24]
At a law enforcement training seminar, we were told that the majority of heroin users are not what would be considered daily "addicts".  Many are business people, stock brokers, and other "party" types...same type of people that only use cocaine on weekends.  I don't know if I believe that or not, but they did not want the general public to believe that for the obvious reason that some people might rationalize that they too could use heroin without becoming addicted.  I sure wouldn't want to use that logic.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:18:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Exactly my point

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong, again.

-CDC statistic.
Exactly my point

Teenager's raiding drug cabinets are exceedingly common.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:33:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
This has another side to it in that users (young ones) who disable themselves and are unable to work and qualify for Social Security SSI. We know a young man (18) who damn near died of overdose + booze, and doctors/legal assistance fast tracked him into the SSI program. He gets $800 approx a month, and of course never paid a dime into the program. This has to be going on across the country and is a sad end to all concerned, including working taxpayers.
View Quote

That is awful.    The only way to improve the situation is to stop all assistance for such people and pray for more successful ODs.

Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:56:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Take a closer look at the geriatric population and you'll notice a theme.  They know, and some times are told by their Doctors, that taking too many pain pills at once can cause them to go to sleep and never wake up again.  When you're old with a million health problems and you die in your sleep nobody investigates it.  Spend some time hanging out in a dialysis clinic or a wound treatment center and you'll understand what I'm talking about.  Or visit someone who knows fairly certain that their dementia is going to turn them into a turnip long before they die.  Lots of people are using their pain pills for a permanent cure.  Unless you do a pill count as part of your initial investigation the Coroner is going to just tell you to release the body to the family and sign off on the death certificate. 

Bills paid up, dishes done, door left unlocked, house looks like it's ready for visitors...  Who am I to judge?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong, again.

-CDC statistic.
Exactly my point

I don't see that as a bad thing at all.    It is a shame the elderly can't be open about this and experience it under medical supervision and with family and friends.      That is close to the experience with hospice.

Too often we have worthless scum who have lived irresponsibly sucking up millions in resources when they have done little to nothing their entire life
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:59:42 AM EDT
[#28]
It's everywhere, but only lately it seems people are starting to acknowledge it.  People feel embarrassed admitting a loved one was a druggie who died from an overdose.  So they did the usual thing of ignoring it and pretending it never happened.

Lots of obits in the paper everyday of a young person who "died unexpectedly at home".  Used to normally mean suicide, but now OD's are a big part of those.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:15:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Not like a broken arm, but REAL pain where you can't move without blacking out and death sounds like a nice thing?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stupidity is part of it.

Yes.   I have no issue with the use of drugs in situations of traumatic injury.   Lots of veterans end up using far less pain meds than prescribed in their attempts to overcome debilitating injuries.  

I think it is disgusting that we have people who have to manage REAL pain while others punk out.   These punks just make the situation worse, in many ways, for those who have to suffer through traumatic debilitating injuries.

Again, I see opiates, (including synthetics), to be God's gift to man.    I see man as abusing that and screwing that up.  

Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:30:24 PM EDT
[#30]
The thing about those prescription drugs like oxy is that if you take them long enough (and really it doesn't take long) you WILL become physically addicted to them. There is no "I like the buzz or I don't", no "I don't have an addictive personality", you simply will without exception become physically addicted to it.

And your body will let you know it is not happy when you try to get off it. I know people that have taken oxy therapeutically after surgery and they had to ween themselves off it, one tried dropping them cold turkey and felt like dog shit, she realized she was going through withdrawals and had to resume taking them, splitting pills and lengthening time between doses until she could drop them completely. These were gals with absolutely no history of substance abuse.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:33:03 PM EDT
[#31]
I would like to see society take the approach of using more ads like this.    This is awesome!    It should be on prime time TV and on billboards.

Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:33:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Yes.   I have no issue with the use of drugs in situations of traumatic injury.   Lots of veterans end up using far less pain meds than prescribed in their attempts to overcome debilitating injuries.  

I think it is disgusting that we have people who have to manage REAL pain while others punk out.   These punks just make the situation worse, in many ways, for those who have to suffer through traumatic debilitating injuries.

Again, I see opiates, (including synthetics), to be God's gift to man.    I see man as abusing that and screwing that up.  

View Quote
Oh ok I misunderstood. I agree. It's sad that the idiots ruin it for people that really need it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:45:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Opioids misuse is no different than firearm misuse.  There are a few screw ups who ruin things for everyone else.  But in the end, everyone else, (even those who use either on responsibly) gets punished.

I am referring to prescription medications, not heroin.  I don't think there is such a thing as "responsible" heroin use.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:54:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Heroin was always a problem in big cities on the East and West coast, but I suspect availability of heroin was not so good elsewhere. Then we invaded the poppy growing capital of the world and built them roads and bridges, which probably led to a much higher export of opium to shithole countries like Mexico where drug cartels rule. Obama then left our Southern border virtually wide open for eight years and the drug cartels have been flourishing from that.

But I believe heroin was still not that big of a problem because addicts would prefer safer and more predictable sources of premium pharmaceutical grade Oxy over dubious heroin. It seems to me that the biggest reason heroin is "exploding" on the streets is because the state and federal governments have made it so honerous for chronic pain patients to get pain pills that addicts cannot get pills, and are "forced" on to heroin. I'm as pissed off as anyone about the hoops I have to jump through to get pain relief, but the heroin epedemic is proof positive that their restrictions on pain patients is keeping prescription pain meds out of the hands of addicts.

At least the pill manufacturers and doctors bear no responsibility whatsoever to OD's on heroin and it is 100% the fault of the abuser if they die. But there is a far better solution than just forcing addicts (who by definition cannot quit) to rely on illegal heroin, and that is making Suboxone and Methadone readily available to them. While they may abuse those drugs too, they are far safer than heroin and avoid injection.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 1:13:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Opioids misuse is no different than firearm misuse.  There are a few screw ups who ruin things for everyone else.  But in the end, everyone else, (even those who use either on responsibly) gets punished.

I am referring to prescription medications, not heroin.  I don't think there is such a thing as "responsible" heroin use.
View Quote
Heroin is used medically in the UK, and probably other places.  It (pure diamorphine) not in and of its self more addicting or dangerous than many opioids used medically in the U.S.  There are actually plenty of people that would prefer to abuse  something other than Heroin given the choice. 

My guess is that hydromorphone (Dilaudid) would be the IV opioid of choice for most addicts.  I don't think other than sheer economical reasons very many would prefer to mess with "heroin" containing strong synthetics in unknown concentrations. 
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 1:17:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
I represented an Army Ranger who was blown up in an IED and was almost immediately hooked on pain pills in the aftermath.  Before long he was stealing things to fund the addiction.  Sucked.  But there was a happy ending.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 1:17:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Beyond the inner city ghettos where we expect to see substance abuse and addiction, the scourge will be settling in the middle-class America as despair and hopelessness increases there.
The sons and daughters of hard-working middle-America are doing the kinds of things—drinking, doping, suicide—that people who feel good about their lives don’t tend to do. So, what’s eating them?  One persuasive explanation, and one the researchers put forth, is financial strain. Jobs in fields like manufacturing, maintenance and construction, which were historically filled by people with trade school or associate degrees, have been evaporating quickly over the past 15 years.  In one article,author Chris Arnade recently undertook a 100,000-mile road trip to study poverty and addiction throughout the interior of the country. His findings illustrate a general mood of hopelessness, anger and drug dependency among the masses of working people.

As a general rule, large numbers of these communities in the heartland have taken to drugs as manufacturing and industrial jobs have evaporated.  And even if more factories are brought back to the U.S., automation will kill jobs, while not offering anything in replacement. 1 robot repairman will be able to keep 1000 robots in operation. 1 automation programmer per factory, will run front end scripts that semi-intelligent AI will turn into robot programming.  Coming soon, automated trucking over watched by a few humans, delivering to docks staffed with robot forklifts and a couple of human directors.  Automated kiosks in fast food joints, servitors in restaurants. 

And despite the ramblings of people like Pelosi, very few will make it as a full-time artist.   With no source of income and no opportunities for advancement, working-class people are and will continue to sink into desolation and listless abandon.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 1:35:59 PM EDT
[#38]
25 years ago I was a teenager and I knew of a lot of seemingly well off, successful adults who abused hydrocodone.  My high school girlfriend's mother was a registered nurse, and ate lortab like candy when not working.  I think the heroin epidemic is just a result of the tightening of prescription pain pill availability.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 1:36:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I don't know, but it has to be a huge step from taking pills to stick a needle in you arm.
View Quote
I was addicted to vicodin for years. I never once thought about doing H.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 1:41:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Not even close. Opiod withdrawal sucks. Thats what drives people from pills to heroin, to stop the withdrawal.

Its all over Michigan. The state recently passed a law allowing pharmacists to distribute Narcan without a prescription. Schools are now also stocking it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't know, but it has to be a huge step from taking pills to stick a needle in you arm.
Not even close. Opiod withdrawal sucks. Thats what drives people from pills to heroin, to stop the withdrawal.

Its all over Michigan. The state recently passed a law allowing pharmacists to distribute Narcan without a prescription. Schools are now also stocking it.
Even when i was going through withdrawals i never thought of using H. And it would have been easier to get then pills. I detoxed at home by myself without the aid of any meds. That was a motherfucker. Never again.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 1:42:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

From where does many of the US problems get pushed ?

mehico and south of that.

Fuck the wall.   We need a DMZ that makes the Korean DMZ look like a pre-school play ground.
View Quote
You can order carfentanil and fentanyl direct from China and have it shipped to your house.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 1:42:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I represented an Army Ranger who was blown up in an IED and was almost immediately hooked on pain pills in the aftermath.  Before long he was stealing things to fund the addiction.  Sucked.  But there was a happy ending.
View Quote
I can't say more than, "Thank you".    

I'm a tough, brutal, and ruthless S.o.B.   Yet, things like that break me down.   They hurt me, they upset me, and they enrage me.  

Combat medic, combat engineer, recon team lead, and light infantry officer

Link Posted: 3/23/2017 1:51:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
This +10. Affects all levels of society, media treats it like some new affliction...after it's been tearing families apart for decades.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 1:51:21 PM EDT
[#44]
When I moved to Missouri ten years ago, Butler PA was heroin central.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 1:57:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

obamacare fucked up a lot of things but over prescription of pain killers has been a problem since at least the 90s
View Quote
However, obamacare gave free insurance to people whose preferred pass time is getting high, so they go to doctor complain of pain, and get opiates from a doctor struggling to make a living under obamacare price controls (it's easy to collect the $50 office visit fee and write a prescription, you can do 10 of those an hour), hence the spike in opiate abuse since obamacare went active.  Fact.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 1:59:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Thanks everyone for discussing this.   I have to bail out a while.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 2:04:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
I agree, I see it daily in the Tri-Cities.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 2:07:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Friend was driving home last night in South Florida and thought she saw a dog on the side of the road in the grass. Turned around and it was a young girl OD'ing. Called medics and NARCAN was administered.

The most messed up thing happened to me tonight on my way back from my mom's house. I was driving down SE 5th ave in Dania beach (residential) and I passed this weird looking black thing in the grass near the sidewalk. I thought maybe it was a big lab that got hit by a car. I kept going but it did not sit right with me so I turned around and drove by it again. As I approached it, I had this weird, strong, unsettled feeling. It was a girl, face down, wearing all black but her hair was in a bun so I could see her neck. She was not responding to me at all. I called 911, it seemed like it took forever but she began to twitch alittle. It was a sweet baby Jesus moment and I was thankful she was still alive. She was lightly gasping for air and still not responding when the paramedics pulled up. Everyone was hustling, lights flashing everywhere, three cop cars and an ambulance. The paramedic examined her eyes and showed the police officer how small her pupils were. He turned to me and said you just saved her life tonight. She was overdosing on heroin. He gave her an injection to reverse it but my heart is still broken. I can never unsee that and she was going to die alone on the side of the street. Just like that... After calling my mom and trying to put words to this horrific scene, I pray this is her turning point! I pray she loves herself more tomorrow than she does today. I pray she has friends and family that will help her through this struggle. I pray she does not die today... ??
I love you mom and thanks for listening to me talk it out and try to wrap my head around that. It was really fucked up... sorry I cursed!
View Quote
Bahahaha at turning point. She likely cussed out the poor Medic who worked his or her ass off to reverse her stupidity and stabilize her. Then stormed out of the ambulance or maybe the ER to go score another load of dope and start it over again. 

Most junkies do not recover. Most end up dead. With no friends or family because of their junkie ways. There's a reason the phrase "never trust a junkie" was coined so many decades ago. They're probably the most vile of all drug addicts.  Crackheads and methheads running a very close second. 
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 2:19:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

This +10. Affects all levels of society, media treats it like some new affliction...after it's been tearing families apart for decades.
View Quote
The difference is the prescribing of pain pills by doctors.  It used to be that they were prescribed for post-surgery or caner type situations.  Now they are prescribed to every welfare recipient around for various complaints of supposedly chronic pain.  That has multiplied the number of people addicted to opiates.  Those same people don't have to worry about maintaining employment, because they already get their food free from WIC, etc.  And they get subsidized housing, free health care to pay for the pain meds and the doctors' appointments.  And probably child support from various sources.  And if not child support, then more welfare.

Hell, I just subpoenaed some pharmacy records from an allegedly ex-addict in a family court case.  This is a twenty something woman.  Her list of meds for the past year is 3 pages long.  And we are paying for it.  Our whole society is fucked up.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 2:20:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
Unfortunately you're wrong. Opioid addiction crosses every race, class and sector of our society. You would die of you knew the number of doctors, executives, lawyers, and judges hooked.

I pray better less addictive pain killers are created in the near future so traditional drugs will only be given to the most severe/ terminal cases.

We will see.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top