BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 199
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:12:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How in the fuck can they, in the same breath, decry the fact the FBI is investigating trump and his campaign for russia ties AND deny there was surveillance?

these are mutually exclusive outrages being expressed simultaneously.
View Quote
A helicopter ride will help clear their minds.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:16:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
remember if you are monitoring EVERYONE at trump tower, if you monitor trump and his advisors, its only "incidental"
View Quote
I want to know where all the brave patriots in the IC were to put a stop to this?

Bunch of dickless cucks.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:24:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Murder never happens, because it's against the law.
View Quote
The IC appears to be comprised of a bunch of fucking integrity devoid pieces of shit.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:25:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

If it has teeth, it can bite.

Capability has never been in question.   Has it?
View Quote
#notwittingly
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:28:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Do you believe the government collects and stores all of your phone calls and emails?
View Quote
Why should I trust them? They haven't been honest at all.

If one of your Marines said all the shit Clapper and the "muh safeguards" brigade on here spouted, would you trust him at all?
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:34:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If one of your Marines said all the shit Clapper and the "muh safeguards" brigade on here spouted, would you trust him at all?
View Quote
Be cool, or he'll call you angry and irrational instead of admitting he's wrong again. Because intellectuals.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:42:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Be cool, or he'll call you angry and irrational instead of admitting he's wrong again. Because intellectuals.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ohhh intellectuals.
Those same intellectuals will call people racist for citing statistics, and equate patriotism with nationalism (code for 1930s germany.)
As long as you use $10 words for worthless hyperbole, it's okay cause muh progress
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 6:58:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The point of the late Obama administration change that caused wider distribution of intelligence reports was to make the distro list so big that leakers couldn't be identified. Also, I doubt that anyone who could finger Obama would flip. Obama would probably be isolated by at least two layers, and only someone like Valarie Jarrett would be talking to him directly. And she's not going to flip.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There won't be anything with a POTUS fingerprint on it.   That will come when someone in DoJ or NSC flips.
The point of the late Obama administration change that caused wider distribution of intelligence reports was to make the distro list so big that leakers couldn't be identified. Also, I doubt that anyone who could finger Obama would flip. Obama would probably be isolated by at least two layers, and only someone like Valarie Jarrett would be talking to him directly. And she's not going to flip.
One thing y'all are missing on this point:

Before the change, it went to the NSA first, who then put the mask on any names that needed to be masked. After the change, the intercepts were distributed to all those 16 agencies with no names masked and the decision to mask whomever was now up to them.

Those 16 agencies could have had access before but only to intercepts redacted by the NSA. Now, they have access to unredacted copies.

this is an important nuance that is getting lost.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 7:18:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Then that is also broken.

If people lost their jobs in the intel community, every person in that community should know about it in as much detail as possible.  You should not "believe" that these people lost their jobs, you should know it with certainty.  

You see, our modern intelligence community has a tremendous ability to look both outward and inward.  That latter ability is extremely dangerous and should be treated like a plutonium core.  

You guys have capabilities to spy on Americans domestically that East Germany's Stasi would have given their collective right nuts to have.  This is a dangerous world and that capability can be quite useful to our national security at times.  

But, if it is misused, it is one of the most corrosive acids imaginable to the integrity of our democracy.  It can only exit in peace with the American public as long as they are confident that it is being used responsibly and for the right ends. Once a majority of the public believes that this awesome power is being abused  ..... all trust between the people and their government immediately vanishes.

That is why it is so important that when there are those that are caught misusing this power, it is imperative that they be punished swiftly and potently.  When incidence of misuse occur, every person with access to this type of information and capability should see demonstrated in no uncertain terms exactly what the consequences of that abuse are.

I have no confidence that what I have outlined is how things are operating now.
View Quote
If it is broken then it is broken in the sense that I do not remember the details of each individual case on a document I read several years ago and do not care to go find again for a refresher. It gets a bit fuzzier when some of the cases involved uniformed personnel where "loss of job" is not as cut and dry as it is in the civilian sector.

Again, over the years we have had several members with intel backgrounds give some insight as to the type and volume of (mandatory) training received relative to privacy requirements for use of the systems we are discussing, including examples of misuse and consequences. As long as the human element exists the potential for abuse exists with it. That is exactly why automated checks and balances are engineered into the tech. Are they perfect? Of course not, but the tech is what allowed knowledge of the abuse and punishment of those responsible.

We are otherwise in agreement that the punishments, as described, should be swifter and harsher. It was pointed out earlier that the timeline for delivering punishment in some cases was limited by the framework governing federal employees.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 7:44:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If it is broken then it is broken in the sense that I do not remember the details of each individual case on a document I read several years ago and do not care to go find again for a refresher. It gets a bit fuzzier when some of the cases involved uniformed personnel where "loss of job" is not as cut and dry as it is in the civilian sector.

Again, over the years we have had several members with intel backgrounds give some insight as to the type and volume of (mandatory) training received relative to privacy requirements for use of the systems we are discussing, including examples of misuse and consequences. As long as the human element exists the potential for abuse exists with it. That is exactly why automated checks and balances are engineered into the tech. Are they perfect? Of course not, but the tech is what allowed knowledge of the abuse and punishment of those responsible.

We are otherwise in agreement that the punishments, as described, should be swifter and harsher. It was pointed out earlier that the timeline for delivering punishment in some cases was limited by the framework governing federal employees.
View Quote
Even swift and harsh punishment is only effective if it is also well known.  

We out here in the public just have to hope/assume that those that abuse these powers are being punished.  Frankly, I no longer feel like I owe the government the benefit of the doubt in this area.  If I never hear about punishment, my assumption is it never occurred.

You guys in the intel community are playing with fire.  You are helping erode what little faith anyone has remaining in their government.  This is not likely to turn out well.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 8:02:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The God Emperor shines upon all of us. Have faith and you will be guided by his benevolence.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it looks like he tweeted stupid bullshit again and has zero proof.
The God Emperor shines upon all of us. Have faith and you will be guided by his benevolence.
Amen.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 8:05:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Wouldn't be legal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not calling anything "incidental."  Nunes is calling it incidental.

I maintain the same position since the beginning of this thread...

If this was targeting Trump, then it's illegal and political and needs to be made public, so that those who did it can be jailed.

If this was legitimately targeting a Foreign Agent who happened to be talking to the Trump campaign, that's a different story.  Even so, those who leaked it need to be jailed.
A question on the 'incidental' part....how 'incidental' would it be if they intentionally targeted someone on a minimal (or non existant) pretext just because of their prior contact with Trump?
Wouldn't be legal.
....but I assume it would meet the definition of 'incidental' the way they are using it.....

(it strikes me as the same as a Police Officer intentionally stepping in front of a moving car...and claiming they tried to run him down, so he was able to arrest them and search the car....hopefully we get something like a 'dashboard cam/body cam video' to show what really happened....)
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 8:10:44 AM EDT
[#13]
DRIP.

DRIP.

DRIP.

Link Posted: 3/23/2017 8:25:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

We out here in the public just have to hope/assume that those that abuse these powers are being punished.  Frankly, I no longer feel like I owe the government the benefit of the doubt in this area.  If I never hear about punishment, my assumption is it never occurred.

You guys in the intel community are playing with fire.  You are helping erode what little faith anyone has remaining in their government.  This is not likely to turn out well.
View Quote
It's easy to get into a negative feedback loop while forgetting that the nature of the job mandates secrecy. The point that it is not as secret as it was a few years ago is valid but I am not sure how you could publicly flog someone for violations relative to covert surveillance systems. The proper forum would be the recurring Congressional reporting, though even in that setting the details would be obscured.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 8:30:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It's easy to get into a negative feedback loop while forgetting that the nature of the job mandates secrecy. The point that it is not as secret as it was a few years ago is valid but I am not sure how you could publicly flog someone for violations relative to covert surveillance systems. The proper forum would be the recurring Congressional reporting, though even in that setting the details would be obscured.
View Quote
Well then I guess I'd rather just be "less safe" and get rid of all this shit then, since apparently there's no way to control it properly.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 8:44:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's easy to use the "need for secrecy" as a way to cover every abuse and incompetence.

The fact remains that the intelligence community has largely lost the trust of the American people.

Do you not understand that you can not have these awesome powers while not having our trust?  At least not in the long run.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 8:47:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Well then I guess I'd rather just be "less safe" and get rid of all this shit then, since apparently there's no way to control it properly.
View Quote
That is the conclusion I've reached.

Apparently we'll have to be less safe since these people will not police themselves and neither we nor our elected representatives have been given access to the information to police them.

We can't have these people running open loop like this.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 8:55:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That is the conclusion I've reached.

Apparently we'll have to be less safe since these people will not police themselves and neither we nor our elected representatives have been given access to the information to police them.

We can't have these people running open loop like this.
View Quote
Not to quibble over details, but that is not exactly true. Part of the beef many people have with the "not wittingly" Clapper fiasco is that the individual asking the question had been briefed on the programs in question as a result of his position, knew the answer, and knew why it was an inappropriate question to ask in a public hearing. Clapper going into vapor lock and muffing the answer compounded issues.

That said, I have been an advocate of external (read: outside .gov) oversight for quite a while. The trick is finding a workable framework which provides the necessary access while protecting the integrity of valid programs.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 8:57:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The alternative is to keep everyone's head in the sand ?

When Good Men do nothing.

Edit :  I think I may have misinterpreted your post....
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 8:58:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
How in the fuck can they, in the same breath, decry the fact the FBI is investigating trump and his campaign for russia ties AND deny there was surveillance?

these are mutually exclusive outrages being expressed simultaneously.
View Quote
I asked that a few pages back IIRC and was lectured by the nevertrumpers that I am a dumbass layman who doesn't have the knowledge to comment on such things.

Of course, it turns out that the Administration was spying on Trump as part of their investigation.

And what was the purpose of that investigation...........to trash Trump's presidency and hopefully get him impeached...........as the democraps/MSM have alluded to numerous times already.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:00:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
DRIP.

DRIP.

DRIP.

View Quote
Seriously was there EVER really any doubt?  (Rhetorical question.)

Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:04:17 AM EDT
[#22]
I noticed we have suddenly progressed past the whole, it can't possibly happen, narrative. Now we are in the, well there's not much that can be done about it, narrative.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:05:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Engage in systematic violation of the 4th then act surprised and bewildered when the elements of those crimes are turned on them.

I noticed we have suddenly progressed past the whole, it can't possibly happen, narrative. Now we are in the, well there's not much that can be done about it, narrative.
View Quote
That's where my coworkers are at. It's weird to me that they think it is ok simply because it can be done.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:07:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:07:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not really, but nuance was never your strong suit.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:11:53 AM EDT
[#26]
47 harddrives with 600 millionpages of info going back on judges and other high level people. This may be why Roberts screwed us on ObamaCare.

http://investmentwatchblog.com/fbi-director-james-comey-lied-to-congress-about-trump-surveillance/

Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:16:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

One thing y'all are missing on this point:

Before the change, it went to the NSA first, who then put the mask on any names that needed to be masked. After the change, the intercepts were distributed to all those 16 agencies with no names masked and the decision to mask whomever was now up to them.

Those 16 agencies could have had access before but only to intercepts redacted by the NSA. Now, they have access to unredacted copies.

this is an important nuance that is getting lost.
View Quote
That is the official storyline. Probably not any more true than anything else Clapper, Comey and co have said. Its well known that the DEA has been using the NSA information for years. Hence the whole "parallel construction" thing.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:22:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That is the official storyline. Probably not any more true than anything else Clapper, Comey and co have said. Its well known that the DEA has been using the NSA information for years. Hence the whole "parallel construction" thing.
View Quote
Clapper is an obvious piece of shit lying scumbag who puts on airs of "honesty".

Comey is puzzling to me...........he appears sincerely honest in his remarks..............yet we have this bullshit that comes out of his mouth.........that guy is puzzling to me...........is he a fucking habitual liar or what!!??
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:24:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
47 harddrives with 600 millionpages of info going back on judges and other high level people. This may be why Roberts screwed us on ObamaCare.

http://investmentwatchblog.com/fbi-director-james-comey-lied-to-congress-about-trump-surveillance/

https://i.redd.it/vsmhpln3e2ny.png
View Quote
I wonder if FBI anon is a time traveler too.

Infuriating.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:31:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Clapper is an obvious piece of shit lying scumbag who puts on airs of "honesty".

Comey is puzzling to me...........he appears sincerely honest in his remarks..............yet we have this bullshit that comes out of his mouth.........that guy is puzzling to me...........is he a fucking habitual liar or what!!??
View Quote
Anybody who can continuously put out that amount of pure 100% pure refined bullshit is a Tier 1 operator grade A sociopath.
Anyone else would have offed himself or been committed to an asylum years ago.

Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:34:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know exactly what I mean. All we've heard for ages here are the various reasons why such an event is nearly impossible due to layers of oversight and the sheer number of individuals who would have to be complicit. Yet, here it appears to be.

Then again, maybe it really is all BS and nothing was actually leaked.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:36:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Anybody who can continuously put out that amount of pure 100% pure refined bullshit is a Tier 1 operator grade A sociopath.
Anyone else would have offed himself or been committed to an asylum years ago.

http://cdn.charismanews.com/images/stories/2016/09/James-Comey-Closeup-Reuters.jpg
View Quote
That could be........I admit that something is "off" with him in this regard..........I mean, something ain't right IMHO.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:31:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The alternative is to keep everyone's head in the sand ?

When Good Men do nothing.

Edit :  I think I may have misinterpreted your post....
View Quote
I think you did.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:35:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What we know with reasonable certainty right now vis a vis the Flynn situation is bad enough.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:37:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
That could be........I admit that something is "off" with him in this regard..........I mean, something ain't right IMHO.
View Quote
He's dancing to a tune which is being called by someone else.
Washington is full of people who do that.
Some do it more gracefully than others.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:46:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Comey knows Trump has put him in a corner..

Comey hearing was very enlightening
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:47:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

What we know with reasonable certainty right now vis a vis the Flynn situation is bad enough.
View Quote
Agreed. Incidental collection was likely a non-issue given the circumstances known at the time. Release of the details (if it came through our people) is a big deal.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:49:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
Damage control, damage control...
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:50:15 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Agreed. Incidental collection was likely a non-issue given the circumstances known at the time. Release of the details (if it came through our people) is a big deal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think it's important to look as closely at what was done legally as it is to look at what was done illegally.  Then we need to have a conversation about whether we as a nation consider the IC trustworthy enough to keep that power.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:51:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
What came first was the unmasking of Flynn in widely disseminated internal documents which one can only conclude was done with the hope that it would be leaked. The person that did that is your first culprit.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:58:54 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

What came first was the unmasking of Flynn in widely disseminated internal documents which one can only conclude was done with the hope that it would be leaked. The person that did that is your first culprit.
View Quote
As you have noted previously, the sticky issue is that we were only in control of one half of that phone call. The possibility remains that we are dealing with several separate, but converging, issues
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:00:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
As you have noted previously, the sticky issue is that we were only in control of one half of that phone call. The possibility remains that we are dealing with several separate, but converging, issues
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. Makes you wonder.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:03:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I want to know where all the brave patriots in the IC were to put a stop to this?

Bunch of dickless cucks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
remember if you are monitoring EVERYONE at trump tower, if you monitor trump and his advisors, its only "incidental"

Bunch of dickless cucks.
A lot of them were making a shit-ton of money and living it up in northern VA the last decade.

The gravy train makes for a lot of rationalization.   There are people no longer in my circle of friends over that.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:09:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
Exactly.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:10:29 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Exactly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.
Oh, Trump will do something about it.

He ain't gonna let this go unchallenged and disappear into the wind.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:11:59 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
Comey is your classic bureaucrat.  All he wants is a promotion, the dental plan, and to not get blamed for anything that would jeopardize the first two.  He almost assuredly drank the Washington Kool-Aid during the Obama years, believing that the Republicans were losers (they were) and that the Democrats would be the dominant force for the foreseeable future (which would have happened but for Trump).  This means he plays ball with Obama's corruption.  But he has a reputation for a straight shooter.  So Obama saves that card for a real mess.  That mess comes with the Hillary emails, Foundation, etc.  Comey initially plays ball until he realizes that he is the fall guy for this shit.  He clears Hillary at the expense of his reputation, and at the expense of the loyalty of his FBI agents who are in open revolt.  So he does that strange dance at the end where he delivers the letter, and then later says nothing came of the new investigation into Wiener.  

Now comes the Trump term and he's lying low - until Trump tweets that he was wiretapped.  Everyone inside the Beltway knows that domestic spying is handled by the FBI, so now Comey is in full damage control mode.  Remember, one of the three prime directives is avoid blame.  Comey will now do his best to cover everything up, or if that fails, blame someone else.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:13:55 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was leaked at high levels. The widespread distribution was done in order to cover the trail of the leak. IMO. 
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:14:42 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Comey is your classic bureaucrat.  All he wants is a promotion, the dental plan, and to not get blamed for anything that would jeopardize the first two.  He almost assuredly drank the Washington Kool-Aid during the Obama years, believing that the Republicans were losers (they were) and that the Democrats would be the dominant force for the foreseeable future (which would have happened but for Trump).  This means he plays ball with Obama's corruption.  But he has a reputation for a straight shooter.  So Obama saves that card for a real mess.  That mess comes with the Hillary emails, Foundation, etc.  Comey initially plays ball until he realizes that he is the fall guy for this shit.  He clears Hillary at the expense of his reputation, and at the expense of the loyalty of his FBI agents who are in open revolt.  So he does that strange dance at the end where he delivers the letter, and then later says nothing came of the new investigation into Wiener.  

Now comes the Trump term and he's lying low - until Trump tweets that he was wiretapped.  Everyone inside the Beltway knows that domestic spying is handled by the FBI, so now Comey is in full damage control mode.  Remember, one of the three prime directives is avoid blame.  Comey will now do his best to cover everything up, or if that fails, blame someone else.  
View Quote
I can't disagree with any of this..........could be..............

What I DO KNOW is something is off with Comey...........WAY OFF!!

I really didn't think he was like this...........appears I was MASSIVELY wrong.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:16:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

A helicopter ride will help clear their minds.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 11:25:46 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yep. It would be hilarious to go back and read through all those old threads, if it wasn't so terrifying
Page / 199
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top