Site Notices
Page / 178
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 2:51:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Incompetent front office.

View Quote
the funniest part was that they drafted cousins after giving up the farm for RG3 specifically in case RG didn't work out.  IOW, they made the perfect move on draft day (even though they got mercilessly mocked for it), and yet even though their contingency plan worked perfectly--their backup QB turned out to be awesome--they completely pissed away their only good front office move since snyder bought the team.

yay redskins!  

Link Posted: 7/6/2017 3:05:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
the funniest part was that they drafted cousins after giving up the farm for RG3 specifically in case RG didn't work out.  IOW, they made the perfect move on draft day (even though they got mercilessly mocked for it), and yet even though their contingency plan worked perfectly--their backup QB turned out to be awesome--they completely pissed away their only good front office move since snyder bought the team.

yay redskins!  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yay redskins!  

shanny 'couldn't pass on cousins' where he was at in the draft, and snyder couldn't let RGIII go to another team.

it's bruce allen and dan snyder running the regular washington shit show year in and year out. at least the only off season drama for the skins is over a contract and not their regular insanity that the seahawks seemed to have taken up this year.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 3:13:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

yay redskins!  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yay redskins!  

Yeah, they really shit the bed on this one and there aren't any good options left for them.  After pissing away their opportunity to sign Cousins to a long term deal a year ago for about $16M a season pretty much their only two options at this point are make an above average-good QB the highest paid player in NFL history (or damn near close) knowing they're paying him over $50M more than they had to or let him walk and their QB is then who? Colt McCoy?
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 6:51:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Haha, yeah that was pretty bad too, but that was a draft pick that simply didn't pan out. Whereas with the Cousins situation it is an ongoing campaign of incompetence.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Having said that: I'm trying to think of a team in recent memory that's handled a franchise QB situation worse than the Redskins have handled Cousins and it's just not coming to me.

Can any of you think of one?
Redskins and RG3?
Haha, yeah that was pretty bad too, but that was a draft pick that simply didn't pan out. Whereas with the Cousins situation it is an ongoing campaign of incompetence.
Throw in how his knee injury was handled both times and then the rotating starting gig and while it's not as mind boggling stupid, it's still pretty stupid.

Ever since JKC died the team has been a joke.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 12:24:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Throw in how his knee injury was handled both times and then the rotating starting gig and while it's not as mind boggling stupid, it's still pretty stupid.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Having said that: I'm trying to think of a team in recent memory that's handled a franchise QB situation worse than the Redskins have handled Cousins and it's just not coming to me.

Redskins and RG3?

AKA 'the snyder era'... and there's no end in sight.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 6:44:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Redskins and RG3?

FDS
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 1:49:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Odds to make the playoffs:

49ers
Yes +1500
No -3500

Bears
Yes +1000
No -2500

Bengals
Yes +165
No -200

Bills
Yes +650
No -1000

Broncos
Yes +200
No -250

Browns
Yes +2000
No -8500

Buccaneers
Yes +180
No -225

Cardinals
Yes +150
No -185

Chargers
Yes +300
No -400

Chiefs
Yes -130
No Even

Colts
Yes +130
No -160

Cowboys
Yes -185
No +150

Dolphins
Yes +375
No -500

Eagles
Yes +200
No -250

Falcons
Yes -140
No +110

Giants
Yes  +120
No  -150

Jaguars
Yes +400
No -550

Jets
Yes +2000
No -8500

Lions
Yes +325
No -450

Packers
Yes -450
No +325

Panthers
Yes Even
No -130

Patriots
Yes -4000
No +1200

Raiders
Yes -165
No +135

Rams
Yes +725
No -1200

Ravens
Yes +110
No -140

Redskins
Yes +375
No -500

Saints
Yes +210
No -260

Seahawks
Yes -600
No +425

Steelers
Yes -300
No +235

Texans
Yes +115
No -145

Titans
Yes Even
No -130

Vikings
Yes +180
No -225
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 2:40:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Kind of funny how the most famous Washington professional sports player is a huge Cowboys fan.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 2:01:09 AM EDT
[#9]
The World's 50 Most Valuable Sports Teams 2017

Every NFL team made the top 50 except for the Lions, Bills, and Bengals.

1. Dallas Cowboys, $4.2 billion, 5% (NFL)

2. New York Yankees, $3.7 billion, 9% (MLB)

3. Manchester United, $3.69 billion, 11% (Soccer)

4. Barcelona, $3.64 billion, 2% (Soccer)

5. Real Madrid, $3.58 billion, -2% (Soccer)

6. New England Patriots, $3.4 billion, 6% (NFL)

7. New York Knicks, $3.3 billion, 10% (NBA)

8. New York Giants, $3.1 billion, 11% (NFL)

9. San Francisco 49ers, $3 billion, 11% (NFL)

9. Los Angeles Lakers, $3 billion, 11% (NBA)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2017/07/12/the-cowboys-and-yankees-top-the-worlds-most-valuable-sports-teams-of-2017/#5d9f74b35018

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2017/07/12/full-list-the-worlds-50-most-valuable-sports-teams-2017/#5e8121aa4a05
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 2:54:49 AM EDT
[#10]
The title of this thread should be changed to "Official 2017 Cowboys discussion thread".
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 3:17:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The title of this thread should be changed to "Official 2017 Cowboys discussion thread".
View Quote
Or just ESPN.com 2.0.

But seriously, over the past couple of weeks/pages the Redskins have been talked about way more than the Cowboys have been. Interestingly though it seems the majority of the time the Cowboys are brought up it's by a non-Cowboys fan.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 4:33:37 AM EDT
[#12]
The 29 teams that didn't move to a different city will each be getting $55.2M from the relocation fees resulting from the Chargers, Raiders, and Rams moving.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 7:45:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Reports say the Skins and Cousins are not close to a deal.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 8:13:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The 29 teams that didn't move to a different city will each be getting $55.2M from the relocation fees resulting from the Chargers, Raiders, and Rams moving.
View Quote
Can they add that to their cap space? Probably  not, but it would be awesome.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 8:43:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 12:10:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah, I was pretty skeptical of that report a week or two ago that said they were close.

The Redskins have 4 days left to sign Cousins before the chances of him being in Washington next season plummet.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 12:11:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Haha, that would be nice, but I'm pretty sure they can't.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 6:28:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Yeah, I was pretty skeptical of that report a week or two ago that said they were close.

The Redskins have 4 days left to sign Cousins before the chances of him being in Washington next season plummet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like they're fine with him playing on the tag again, and revisiting next offseason.

Link
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 7:01:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Sounds like they're fine with him playing on the tag again, and revisiting next offseason.

Link
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link
If that ends up being the case then if the Redskins want Cousins to play for them in 2018 they have only two options:

1. Tag him again for the low-low price of $35M fully guaranteed.

2. Offer him the best deal when he becomes a free agent with teams like the Browns probably willing to give him a long term deal paying him around $30M a season.  And even if the Redskins did offer him the best deal there's no guarantee he'd even accept it.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 7:24:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If that ends up being the case then if the Redskins want Cousins to play for them in 2018 they have only two options:

2. Offer him the best deal when he becomes a free agent with teams like the Browns probably willing to give him a long term deal paying him around $30M a season.  And even if the Redskins did offer him the best deal there's no guarantee he'd even accept it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link

If they don't sign him by Monday, I lay odds he's gone at the end of the season.

Trent Green all over again.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 7:30:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Listening to the radio today I thought of a question, is there a limit to how many times a club can use the franchise tag on a player?

Besides the practical problem of salary cap and the money going up each year. I always thought twice for the franchise tag, then they could use the transitional tag.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 7:36:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If they don't sign him by Monday, I lay odds he's gone at the end of the season.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link

Based on their available options that seems very likely.

Of course it didn't seem likely at all that the Redskins would pay Cousins $43.89M fully guaranteed for just two seasons so who knows?  At this point the Redskins tagging him again for $35M wouldn't completely shock me.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 7:42:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Listening to the radio today I thought of a question, is there a limit to how many times a club can use the franchise tag on a player?

Besides the practical problem of salary cap and the money going up each year. I always thought twice for the franchise tag, then they could use the transitional tag.
View Quote
I know teams can tag a player at least 3 times.  I don't recall reading anything that says they couldn't do more than that.  Though at that point the cost would be so ridiculous it's never come up.  For the Redskins to tag Cousins a third time the cost would be $35M.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 7:45:30 PM EDT
[#24]
It was a discussion Pat Kerwin was having with a redskins fan the other day, he kinda said that but in a way that was a bit confusing.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 7:59:27 PM EDT
[#25]
If Cousins becomes a free agent I wonder how seriously the 49ers will go after him or if they'll be more interested in drafting someone (or maybe both). There were reports that Cousins wanted to go to San Fran because of Shananhan but idk how true that is/was.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 8:29:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
If Cousins becomes a free agent I wonder how seriously the 49ers will go after him or if they'll be more interested in drafting someone (or maybe both). There were reports that Cousins wanted to go to San Fran because of Shananhan but idk how true that is/was.
View Quote
There was a report that said Snyder would rather drastically overpay for Cousins than see him play for Shananhan in San Francisco.  As the deadline gets closer with still no deal done that report starts to look more and more inaccurate.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 8:33:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Based on how things look right now it's hard to imagine the Browns not offering Cousins the best deal.  Now whether or not he'd actually want to play in the misery factory is another matter.  It's not like Cousins needs the money.  A rarity for a young player that's never signed a big long term deal.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 8:59:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Based on how things look right now it's hard to imagine the Browns not offering Cousins the best deal.  Now whether or not he'd actually want to play in the misery factory is another matter.  It's not like Cousins needs the money.  A rarity for a young player that's never signed a big long term deal.
View Quote
Cousins doesn't need to go to the Browns. Every team in the country that didn't make the playoffs needs a better quarterback.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 10:39:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Cousins doesn't need to go to the Browns. Every team in the country that didn't make the playoffs needs a better quarterback.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He doesn't need to go anywhere.  But I think, if the market stays the same, it's a safe bet the Browns will make him the best offer.  I wouldn't be surprised if there were reports that Cousins was nearing a deal for $27M a season with one team and then the Browns came in and offered him $30M or more.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 10:40:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Come to think of it: when was the last time the Browns had a consistently above average or better QB? All that comes to my mind is Otto Graham and that was over half a century ago.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 10:59:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Come to think of it: when was the last time the Browns had a consistently above average or better QB? All that comes to my mind is Otto Graham and that was over half a century ago.
View Quote
More proof, as if you needed it, that this should really be called the National Quarterbacks League. It's truly amazing how heavily they influence the game.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 8:58:48 AM EDT
[#32]
NFL network sometimes runs replays of Super Bowl classics and yesterday I watched a bit of XLVII (the blackout bowl). Kind of hard to believe that just 4 years ago Colin Kaepernick was one play away from winning a Super Bowl in which his team trailed 28-6 in the 3rd quarter.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 10:14:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
NFL network sometimes runs replays of Super Bowl classics and yesterday I watched a bit of XLVII (the blackout bowl). Kind of hard to believe that just 4 years ago Colin Kaepernick was one play away from winning a Super Bowl in which his team trailed 28-6 in the 3rd quarter.
View Quote
Even harder to believe I was ROOTING for him and his team in that game.  Last time I ever did that.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 11:43:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Ezekiel Elliott involved in a "late night altercation" at a Dallas area bar.

The victim, a 30 year old man, reportedly got into a verbal altercation with a woman in Elliott's party when Elliot struck the man in the face, breaking his nose, and then left the scene before police arrived.

There is video of the victim AFTER the punch, on the floor in pain. Two witnesses collaborated the victim's story.

No arrest has been made as Elliott was not at the scene.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 11:52:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The victim, a 30 year old man, reportedly got into a verbal altercation with a woman in Elliott's party when Elliot struck the man in the face, breaking his nose, and then left the scene before police arrived.

There is video of the victim AFTER the punch, on the floor in pain. Two witnesses collaborated the victim's story.

View Quote
That kid's gonna need to learn to control himself if he expects to be in the league for very long. He has nearly unlimited potential, but if he doesn't grow up, he'll find himself penniless in half a decade.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 12:25:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Tweet from a random guy that said he saw Elliot knock a guy out. Time syncs up within minutes of the police call, well before any news came out. Countless people threatening him, calling him a snitch, telling him to delete it. Cowboy Nation... SMH...

In case it gets deleted: 
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 12:27:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
I was checking the usual "reputable" (relatively speaking) sources and all I saw at the time was "a 30-year-old man said he was physically assaulted but could not identify who assaulted him."
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 12:32:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
That kid's gonna need to learn to control himself if he expects to be in the league for very long. He has nearly unlimited potential, but if he doesn't grow up, he'll find himself penniless in half a decade.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, he's definitely not handeling fame and money at such a young age well. Maybe he should spend more time around Dak.

Still, he is just 21 years old.  It's not like he's 28 and still pulling idiotic shit.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 12:32:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Tweet from a random guy that said he saw Elliot knock a guy out. Time syncs up within minutes of the police call, well before any news came out. Countless people threatening him, calling him a snitch, telling him to delete it. Cowboy Nation... SMH...

In case it gets deleted: 
http://i.imgur.com/pPvNyEz.png?1
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 12:39:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Gettleman fired from Panthers

Link
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 4:36:17 PM EDT
[#41]
No new deal for Cousins or Bell
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 4:42:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
Looks like we'll be getting our wish to see how much Cousins can get on the open market.  

Unless of course the Redskins want to tag him again for $35M.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 4:43:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Looks like we'll be getting our wish to see how much Cousins can get on the open market.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They will probably Transition tag him. 
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 4:44:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
Rapoport is saying the Redskins wanted to lock Cousins in for 5 more years, but were only willing to guarantee a single additional year (29M in new guaranteed money). I wouldn't take that deal either.

Edit: In perspective, the deal they offered was his full franchise tag this year he is already set to receive, and then only $29M additionally guaranteed money for 5 more years. He will easily, EASILY, make far more than $30M guaranteed in a new contract next off season.

The Redskins put out a pretty nasty press release trying to paint Cousins like he is greedy and that they are the victims. Fuck the Redskins.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 4:53:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I doubt they'd be willing to match the Browns' (and maybe the 49ers') offer.  If they did they probably would end up paying him close to the $35M franchise tag cost and STILL not have him locked up long term.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 4:57:34 PM EDT
[#46]
The comments are great so far 
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 4:59:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Rapoport is saying the Redskins wanted to lock Cousins in for 5 more years, but were only willing to guarantee a single additional year (29M in new guaranteed money). I wouldn't take that deal either.

Edit: In perspective, the deal they offered was his full franchise tag this year he is already set to receive, and then only $29M additionally guaranteed money for 5 more years. He will easily, EASILY, make far more than $30M guaranteed in a new contract next off season.

The Redskins put out a pretty nasty press release trying to paint Cousins like he is greedy and that they are the victims. Fuck the Redskins.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is simply incredible how poorly the Redskins have handled this station.

Redskins fans can say "well, that's to be expected," but I think this goes beyond that.  I mean it's kind of like inviting your rough around the edges friend to a big family dinner.  You might expect him to drink a little too much and make an off color joke, but this is the equivalent of him jumping up on the table, pulling down his pants, and then taking a big dump in front of everyone.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 5:23:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I mean it's kind of like inviting your rough around the edges friend to a big family dinner.  You might expect him to drink a little too much and make an off color joke, but this is the equivalent of him jumping up on the table, pulling down his pants, and then taking a big dump in front of everyone.
View Quote
And then he went home and told his family and friends that he redecorated your dining room for free and you didn't even thank him.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 5:46:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The comments are great so far 
View Quote
I think its funny how some of the comments are from Redskins fans mad that Cousins didn't take a below market deal saying things like "good, get rid if him, we didn't want him here anyway."
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 5:47:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
And then he went home and told his family and friends that he redecorated your dining room for free and you didn't even thank him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I mean it's kind of like inviting your rough around the edges friend to a big family dinner.  You might expect him to drink a little too much and make an off color joke, but this is the equivalent of him jumping up on the table, pulling down his pants, and then taking a big dump in front of everyone.
Haha, pretty much.
Page / 178
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top