Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 1:39:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a wolf hybrid when I lived in MT and at 11 months old it was right at 120 lbs and when it stood up he placed his front paws on my shoulders and was taller than me. I'm 5'11".
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 1:57:17 PM EDT
[#2]
the largest wolf preserve in the world is about hour n half from my house. They have artic, red, grey, and timber wolves there. My 110 lb GSD is dwarfed by those fuckers.

Very cool place to visit. Do the personal tour and go play with them.

TDY, otherwise id post pics. They Make my 6ft 215lb ass look like a kid standing next to my gsd... Also WOLF PUPPIES!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 2:05:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

My beagle has taught me that any male dog that assumes that position is just going to pee on you.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 2:11:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Wonder what the back story is?

Ranger Rick just happens upon a recently trapped wolf in the middle of a million acres of  wild country and out of the kindness of his Doctor Doolittle heart lets it go?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 2:20:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That sounds quite unhealthy for a German shepherd.
View Quote

You're only familiar with the current "breed standard" for these dogs, which is drastically different from what they were.

At one time, the German Shepherd consisted of several different lineages, all looking generally alike. One of those lineages was a huge animal with a very square appearance, no "hindquarters slope" as the AKC set as the standard. Modern GSDs are virtually caricatures of the old lineages.

As a kid, we had a dog whose ancestry could be traced back directly to WWII German breeding kennels that the Nazis were running during the war; one of the guys liberating the concentration camp where they did some of this work saved two of the puppies from there, and brought them back to the US, where he preserved the lineage as best he could. Those dogs looked nothing like a modern GSD, except in coloring. Muzzles were short and jaws were huge; size of the dogs were in the 120-140lb range, averaging around 30"-36" at the shoulders, and there was zero slope to the hindquarters. Their backs looked like tables, flat and muscular. Paws were 'effing huge--The prints they left were easily as big as a large-sized adult male human palm.

Most GSD examples I see today wouldn't make half of one of those old-school dogs, which I suspect were bred from lineages meant for hauling carts. The classic GSD isn't at all close to what we're breeding and calling such today, here in the US.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 2:33:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Could be a king shepherd - those things get huge 90 - 150lbs

http://americankingshepherdclubinc.com/myPictures/April%20AKSC%20EXTR%20BOW%201%20Zeus.jpg
View Quote

Heres my male.. Well over 100lb..
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 2:38:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Oh and that thing that "wolve's will never attack humans and eat them"? Thats bullshit too.

Nor would I ever want to be surfing around a starving killer whale. I'd bet even a starving "Flipper" would take a fist sized chunk out of your ass.
View Quote
Bullshit. Wolves don't attack healthy humans.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 2:53:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The domestic dog is a cousin of the wolf not it's descendant
View Quote
Canis Lupus Familiaris (Domestic Dog) is a subspecies of the Canis Lupus (Wolf) species - therefore Domestic Dogs are absolutely a descendant of the Wolf.

They also share ~99% of their DNA. That's not "cousin" level...
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 2:54:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Aaaawwwwwww
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:01:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Crazy how he freed him like that.  No way I would do something like that unless I had a large sidearm on me and another dude spotting me.

Beautiful animal. Not to be trifled with for sure.
View Quote
Watch again, look on his right hip. There is a big bore wheelgun riding shotgun on that rescue
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:02:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Uneducated Bullshit
That happened twenty miles from where I was working, you can do your own image search to see how "unhealthy" she was.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:09:27 PM EDT
[#12]
I think I'd rather free that wolf than the pissed off house cat I had to free from a foothold trap. 
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:13:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, that was sad.  Wolf got away .
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:13:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

At one time, the German Shepherd consisted of several different lineages, all looking generally alike. One of those lineages was a huge animal with a very square appearance, no "hindquarters slope" as the AKC set as the standard. Modern GSDs are virtually caricatures of the old lineages.
View Quote

It is the breed clubs, not the AKC, that set the breed standard.  You're barking up the wrong tree so to speak.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:23:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Could be a king shepherd - those things get huge 90 - 150lbs

http://americankingshepherdclubinc.com/myPictures/April%20AKSC%20EXTR%20BOW%201%20Zeus.jpg
View Quote

Looking at that dog's snout / face, I'd have to say that there's a little Chow in there.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:26:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
To me it just looked like a trapper releasing it. Pretty standard way actually.
View Quote

This.
Lots of wolves, mountain lions, bear cubs, etc get released every season without harm.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:34:57 PM EDT
[#17]
About half the people who claim to have wolf-dogs really have some sort of sled-dog or German shepherd mix.  Most people have no idea what a wolf really looks like in contrast to a dog, nor how big a grey wolf can get.  Also part of it is pictures of wolves in wild areas often lack anything that people can get a clear lock on to identify size, so they just assume it's the same size as a dog of similar structure they are much more familiar with.

A wolf in Alaska that took to wanting to play with dogs.

High content wolfdog showing size of the wolf gene side, vs a low content wolfdog sized like your typical German shepherd
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:43:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That's a malamute.

They are genetically dissimilar to normal dogs, and a bit wild, but wolves they are not.
View Quote
incorrect on both counts

Canine in video has plenty of wolfish traits, likely a wolf-dog hybrid.

Malamute is not genetically dissimilar to normal dogs.  Malamute IS normal dog.  Malamutes aren't wolves and have no significant wolf in them.  Malamutes are generically similar to pretty much all the nordic breeds, except with more 'regular' dog mixed in.   See, Malamute was the term given to a specific larger freight type sled dog in Alaska prior to the various gold rushes which was associated with one specific indigenous tribe or community. It was all but extinct by the time the gold rushes hit, but the 'concept' lived on, but mainly by taking any sled dog and passing it off as a malamute to fools with big dreams, a little money, and no sense.  Then as the demand for sled dogs skyrocked with the various Yukon and Klondike gold rushes, people were buying/stealing any largish relatively shaggy dog to bring up to alaska to sell as a sleddog and/or to breed and produce sled dogs.  Often they liked to bring up newfies and st bernard females and breed them to local sled dogs and sell the pups as sled dogs bred for hauling freight, sometimes given the name malamute.

It was from this 'fanciful marketing recreation' that the (false) malamute as a breed was constituted.

Then as was mentioned once before, changing economic conditions, world war, and depression knocked back most nordic dog populations in alaska/canada.  Later, people 'recreated' the malamute as they understood it...the reconstituted freight dog they were familiar with not the long lost actual sled dog of the malamute people.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:44:10 PM EDT
[#19]
I knew a guy who bred partial wolves growing up, he was also a rehabilitator and would occasionally get wolves in that were injured.

they're HUGE.

if you ever see a wolf, which is rare, they are always far away and in the huge landscapes they live in, it's hard to get context.   When you are standing next to one just across the fence, it's like standing by a pony. they seem even bigger than they probably are cause your amygdala starts to shit itself.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:46:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The domestic dog is a cousin of the wolf not it's descendant
View Quote
incorrect according to most modern understandings.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:48:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure the hunting record was reset with a wolf well over 200 pounds, taken in Canada.

ETA:  possibly fake
View Quote
Weight is not a good measure of wolf size.

Ever hear of 'wolf your food down'?

Wolves evloved to be able to bolt down a huge amount of meat in a small time.  You can have a big wolf that on an empty stomach weighs the same as a much smaller wolf that just gorged on a fresh kill.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:50:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Canis Lupus Familiaris (Domestic Dog) is a subspecies of the Canis Lupus (Wolf) species - therefore Domestic Dogs are absolutely a descendant of the Wolf.

They also share ~99% of their DNA. That's not "cousin" level...
View Quote
the whole idea of species and subspecies, or heck even family and genera is a false concept that is just useful for organization.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:55:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Seen some big fuckers in my time.

Going out camping, smoking some fish over a campfire and looking up to see a wolf about as big as a horse just nonchalantly walking up to you is... Disconcerting.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:58:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
About half the people who claim to have wolf-dogs really have some sort of sled-dog or German shepherd mix.  Most people have no idea what a wolf really looks like in contrast to a dog, nor how big a grey wolf can get.  Also part of it is pictures of wolves in wild areas often lack anything that people can get a clear lock on to identify size, so they just assume it's the same size as a dog of similar structure they are much more familiar with.

A wolf in Alaska that took to wanting to play with dogs.
http://boredomtherapy.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/wolf-meets-dog-5.jpg

http://boredomtherapy.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/wolf-meets-dog-4.jpg

http://boredomtherapy.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/wolf-meets-dog-7.jpg

High content wolfdog showing size of the wolf gene side, vs a low content wolfdog sized like your typical German shepherd
http://2static1.fjcdn.com/comments/Haha+there+really+should+be+books+on+it+if+there+_4230d7fb8796a23a1771ab80ae42dc21.jpg
View Quote

What a beast.  That black one would be terrifying if it were pissed.

I posted an article in a thread in GD a few months back about research re: alpha male wolves.  The gist of it was that they were not "alpha" as GD.  They were good fathers and mates as their primary role as "alpha" - not loners.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:02:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Wolves evloved to be able to bolt down a huge amount of meat in a small time.  You can have a big wolf that on an empty stomach weighs the same as a much smaller wolf that just gorged on a fresh kill.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure the hunting record was reset with a wolf well over 200 pounds, taken in Canada.

ETA:  possibly fake

So take the stomach and other guts out of any wolf before weighing it?  Got it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:02:07 PM EDT
[#26]
A few years ago I was up in Valdez, NC at a festival and a lady was walking around with a dog that was a combo breed if wolf and German Shepherd.............he was a monster, and was extremely friendly
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:04:45 PM EDT
[#27]
A friend had an 85% timberwolf. She was over 120#. She had a litter with a 50/50 timber wolf shepherd mix wnd the male pups got to 140.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:04:56 PM EDT
[#28]
My oldest son lives in British Columbia. He had a job for a while checking on power line across the interior. On one trip he parked his snowmobile, walked into a difficult area, and when he walked back out he saw where a wolf had tracked him all the way in. He still insists that he is more afraid of a moose.

[https://

Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:09:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Eh, we take em...2 of the alpha males I have taken were  both over 135 pds, both stood over 37" at the shoulder, and both were over 8'6" in length..
First..
Attachment Attached File

Second..
Attachment Attached File

Paw...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:18:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

This guy gets it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's probably not how I would have handled that situation.....

This guy gets it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:25:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Wolves are like andre the giant, much more huger than regular man

Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:31:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Its give or take 10-20 pounds. It depends how much fur weight they shed that day.

View Quote

This
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:45:49 PM EDT
[#33]

That's not a 120lbs dog.  90-100, with narrow hips for a bullmastiff.  At that height it would be a lot stockier at 120.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:48:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:48:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I've owned and worked with GSDs since I was a teenager. I've always heard about these massive 120-150 pound dogs as big as a wolf, but they always seem to temporarily shrink to 90lbs when you put them on a scale.
The biggest GSD on record is 130.
View Quote
They get pretty big when you feed them a steady diet of  240lb, 14 point bucks.

Most people with 120 to 150 lb german shepards would be getting 30 mpg with their 4wd dually diesels but the dogs pull that down to 28 mpg.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 5:00:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Ovcharkas (Caucasian Shepherb), bred to protect flocks from wolves... and bears...

Link Posted: 2/27/2017 5:10:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The pack at the Woodland zoo in Seattle aren't much bigger than a german sheperd. All females?
View Quote

I'm pretty sure those are red wolves and a smaller species.  Last time I was there they were trying to figure out how to get a squirrel out of a tree.
ETA Looks like I screwed up.  Point Defiance Zoo has the red wolves.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 7:08:14 PM EDT
[#38]

I want one.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 7:21:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

I love wolves. I'm 100% in support of repatriation across the U.S.
That said; they absolutely can, will and have hunted human beings for food.

A pack of them killed a few dozen people over a single winter in Paris a few centuries back, I've heard this is where werewolf lore started. In the 40s and 50s, Russians had their own version of the Tsavo lions with several generations of wolves. Supposedly, during WW2, some Nazis and Ruskies had to call a cease-fire to focus on killing some wolves that were fucking both sides up.

There's a reason wolves were seen as the boogyman for most of human history and were exterpated from most of their historic range. The only reason attacks are rare these days is because populations are tiny and 99.999% of people don't live anywhere near them.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 7:44:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

AKC papers show him as a plain ole German Shepherd. He's a big, loveable lug. I've seen Kings and Bear doesn't look like them, but you never know. He's the biggest male GSD we've had. All total, the wife and I have raised 3 female and 3 male GSDs.
View Quote

I saw a wolf hide in the Johnson county museum near Buffalo that looked like a bearskin.
it was a horse-killing loner that was figured at close to 200 pounds.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 7:44:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Attachment Attached File

I have adequate wolf defense...
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 7:44:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I could get my husky to howl like that
View Quote

or a bassett hound.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 7:50:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
My oldest son lives in British Columbia. He had a job for a while checking on power line across the interior. On one trip he parked his snowmobile, walked into a difficult area, and when he walked back out he saw where a wolf had tracked him all the way in. He still insists that he is more afraid of a moose.

[https://http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/mike4.jpg

[https://http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Wolf_13.jpg

[https://http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Wolf23.jpg
View Quote

he's right.
you're much more likely to see moose, for one thing, and they can be real dicks, for another.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 7:52:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Meh. Akitas get to be about 130lbs on the top end.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 7:59:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

So take the stomach and other guts out of any wolf before weighing it?  Got it.
View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:00:32 PM EDT
[#46]
View Quote

Some short chick with blue hair ain't gunna scare a wolf.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:02:14 PM EDT
[#47]
View Quote

A big wolf would likely make quick work of your pup.  Nice looking dog though.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:04:15 PM EDT
[#48]
A pack of them killed a few dozen people over a single winter in Paris a few centuries back, I've heard this is where werewolf lore started. In the 40s and 50s, Russians had their own version of the Tsavo lions with several generations of wolves. Supposedly, during WW2, some Nazis and Ruskies had to call a cease-fire to focus on killing some wolves that were fucking both sides up.
View Quote

Cite? I call BULLSHIT on the Soviets calling a mutual cease-fire with the Germans over some wolves.  The Soviets (particularly the Russians) fucking HATED the Germans for the atrocities the Wehrmacht and SS did to them.  That was a dirty, vulgar, nasty theater of war.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:04:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Depends.  What's in those treats she's got?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:13:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
incorrect on both counts

Malamute is not genetically dissimilar to normal dogs.  Malamute IS normal dog.  Malamutes aren't wolves and have no significant wolf in them.  Malamutes are generically similar to pretty much all the nordic breeds, except with more 'regular' dog mixed in.   See, Malamute was the term given to a specific larger freight type sled dog in Alaska prior to the various gold rushes which was associated with one specific indigenous tribe or community. It was all but extinct by the time the gold rushes hit, but the 'concept' lived on, but mainly by taking any sled dog and passing it off as a malamute to fools with big dreams, a little money, and no sense.  Then as the demand for sled dogs skyrocked with the various Yukon and Klondike gold rushes, people were buying/stealing any largish relatively shaggy dog to bring up to alaska to sell as a sleddog and/or to breed and produce sled dogs.  Often they liked to bring up newfies and st bernard females and breed them to local sled dogs and sell the pups as sled dogs bred for hauling freight, sometimes given the name malamute.

It was from this 'fanciful marketing recreation' that the (false) malamute as a breed was constituted.

Then as was mentioned once before, changing economic conditions, world war, and depression knocked back most nordic dog populations in alaska/canada.  Later, people 'recreated' the malamute as they understood it...the reconstituted freight dog they were familiar with not the long lost actual sled dog of the malamute people.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a malamute.

They are genetically dissimilar to normal dogs, and a bit wild, but wolves they are not.
incorrect on both counts

Unless you are adhering strictly to the shitty show dog AKC standard, that dog doesn't show anything non malamute. Many breeders up here breed to the old standard, which that dog seems to be from.

Except that tests show the Northern Group ancient Breed is a genetic divergence from modern dogs. As I'm sure you know, the Malamute belongs to this breed. ETA:Or, we can refer to them as a Basal Breed as another test did, which again, showed them to be genetically divergent.

To the rest of it, that's just like, your opinion man. There are lineages that can be dated back pretty far, and many have dedicated their lives to bringing the breed back from near extinction. Again, as I'm sure you know, there was more then one standard with Malamute being the generic term.

M’Loot, Kotzebue, and Irwin types bear different physical identifiers, mostly size, the former being the largest. While the breed has had some intermingling between the three to pump the number up post WW2, to claim that the whole breed is nothing but mutts is asinine. Genetic testing prove this to not be the case.

So I guess, no you're wrong.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top