Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:25:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I've had numerous run ins with wolves in Northern MN.  I have never seen a German Shepherd near the size of an adult male wolf. I can tell you the one chasing my 45lb pound brittany looked huge and was way too close for comfort.  I've seen dozens up close in the wild. Each time has been a memorable experience that left me in awe, and a few times looking for a change of underwear.  We have more her in MN than the rest of the continental US combined.

Anyone who thinks their domesticated dog has so much as a snowballs chance in hell against a wild wolf is a fool.  A large adult German Shepherd was killed a few years ago the next town over by a coyote.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:43:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The domestic dog is a cousin of the wolf not it's descendant
View Quote

They are neither "cousins" or "descendants"......They ARE wolves.

Great program touched on this when it talked about a Russian study that has been several decades in the making.  Russian lady was trying to domesticate the Russian grey fox.  Very interesting thing happened when they were bred for certain features (docileness and lack of aggression).....their color, shape, hair, etc all started to change.

Wonder why modern dogs DNA and Wolf DNA is almost identical?.........because they ARE wolves.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:53:36 PM EDT
[#3]
These threads bring out more GSDs that are mastiff sized than I would ever think possible. 
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:07:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Bullshit. Wolves don't attack healthy humans.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

So what? If they think you have a cold they will? Thats comforting. This is one of the Libbers favorites, the nice little wolves would never hurt anybody. Not even Little Red Robin Hood.
wolf attacks
The definition of "modern times" according to the Merriam-Webster dictionary is: the present or the immediate past. Considering most animal rights and environmental groups claim that the wolf has been nearly extinct since the early 1900s, it's obvious that there would be no documented attacks, so let's evaluate times when wolves were plentiful. Historically Documented Attacks, When Wolves Were Plentiful*:

France: Between 1580 and 1830, 3,069 people were killed by wolves
   Italy: Between the 15th and 19th century 440 people were killed by wolves
   Russia: Between 1943 and 1947, 60 people were killed by wolves, 46 were children
   India & Pakistan: In 1875, 721 people were killed by wolves
   Iran: In 2005 and 2008 two people were killed.

North America: Prior to the 1700s there were no records kept on wolf attacks. However, there is a lot of folklore from Native American culture which depicts wolf attacks. In 1807 during the Lewis and Clark Expedition camped on the shores of the Yellowstone River when a wolf came into camp and bit Private Richard Windsor.

Near the Ohio border in 1803, wolves attacked two men, killing one.
   In 1833 a wolf attacked a trapper camp in Wyoming biting 13 people.
   In 1881 an 18 year old female was attacked by a wolf in Colorado.
   In the Canadian Arctic Expedition of 1913-1918 a wolf attacked the expedition, which is now on display in the National Museum in Ottawa.
   In 1922 a trapper and two Indians sent to find the trapper were found killed by wolves.

Meanwhile in modern times.
Modern Times, When Wolves Are "Near Extinction"*:

In 1974-1975 wolves killed 165 dogs in Fairbanks, Alaska, which resulted in the killing of 13 wolves. After the wolves were culled, the attacks reportedly drastically dropped.
   In 1996 five wolves attacked and killed 25 year old Patricia Wyman in Ontario.
   In 2000 a 6 year old boy and 9 year old boy were attacked by a wolf in Icy Bay, Alaska.
   In 2000, 23 year old Scott Langevin was attacked by a wolf while sleeping on Vargas Island in British Columbia.
   In 2005, Kenton Carnegie was attacked and killed by wolves in northern Saskatchewan.
   In 2005, Fred Desjarlais  was attacked in Saskatchewan when returning home from Key Lake.
   In 2006 six people were attacked by a wolf in Ontario.
   In 2010, Candice Berner was jogging in Chignik Lake, Alaska when she was attacked and killed by wolves.
   In 2013, a good samaritan driver Dawn Hepp was attacked by a wolf on the side of the road in Manitoba.
   In 2013, a teenager was attacked while in his sleeping bag in Minnesota. He physically pried the wolf's jaw open to remove his head.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:40:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Very interesting topic concerning wolves! Intest obviously varies according to what region of the nation you live in. Coyotes are a real concern in rural and even cities in Oklahoma. My FIL has had problems with coyotes and swears they are getting bigger and smarter in the last few decades.
Here is an interesting article that may explain his observation:
http://www.economist.com/news/science-and-technology/21677188-it-rare-new-animal-species-emerge-front-scientists-eyes
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:48:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Some get big.

Here's some tracks from a pack on the elk refuge. My boot is a size 13 for reference.
View Quote
A few years ago I was muzzleload deer hunting with a friend. Didn't see anything moving that day, but on the walk out we saw fresh wolf tracks, about that size, in our footprints (from the walk in). Very cool, and kind of not cool, at the same time.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:48:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:03:49 PM EDT
[#8]
It's funny that so many people don't realize how big those bastards are.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:04:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
wolves are big.  In Alaska I remember seeing a black male loner near the house that looked like a fucking horse.

coyotes don't bother me.

wolves are to be respected.
View Quote

One of the most interesting experiences in my life was when a friend of my father stayed with us shortly before we left Oregon. He was a smart but criminally reckless guy with a pet wolf. The wolfs name was Rocky.

Rocky was old, really old. But still impressive, his owner was a vegetarian so rocky was the skinniest wolf I had ever seen. He liked staying with us because we fed him well.

If I could only use one word to describe Rocky it would be powerful. He was unbelievably intelligent, incredibly strong and the biggest canine I have ever met. I have known quite a few Great Danes. It was a privilege to have known him and in a strictly evolutionary sense its mind boggling to me that there are so few wolves and so many dogs. Wolves have every kind of edge against dogs that I can see except that dogs work with humans better than wolves do. Since we are the dominant species on the planet they get the numbers.

They are definitely meant to be respected.

Also, anyone who claims that wolves don't attack humans is delusional. I heard at least one story about Rocky where he half ripped a mans arm off.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:05:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That's probably not how I would have handled that situation.....
View Quote

Me neither
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:12:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Uneducated Bullshit
That happened twenty miles from where I was working, you can do your own image search to see how "unhealthy" she was.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Uneducated Bullshit
That happened twenty miles from where I was working, you can do your own image search to see how "unhealthy" she was.

Yep, pure BS, with a side of BS.

Wolf attacks teen in MN

They were quick to point out the wolf was injured, but that makes no difference.  A wolf attacked a healthy human.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:54:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Great program touched on this when it talked about a Russian study that has been several decades in the making.  Russian lady was trying to domesticate the Russian grey fox.  Very interesting thing happened when they were bred for certain features (docileness and lack of aggression).....their color, shape, hair, etc all started to change.

Wonder why modern dogs DNA and Wolf DNA is almost identical?.........because they ARE wolves.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The domestic dog is a cousin of the wolf not it's descendant

Incorrect. While this is still a very contentious area of research, no one is arguing that dogs and modern wolves are one and the same.

Some of the latest research

"In a paper published on 21 May in Current Biology1, Skoglund's team reports the draft genome sequence of the rib bone of a 35,000-year-old wolf. It suggests that the ancestors of today’s dogs split from the ancestors of modern wolves 27,000 to 40,000 years ago — earlier than previously suggested."
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 12:13:01 AM EDT
[#13]
I don't think we have wolves down here. I never knew they were that big
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 12:19:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I could get my husky to howl like that
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Didn't know they could be thought to howl on command like this either. Seems friendly enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ayOA63bdiY

I could get my husky to howl like that

I can get my White GSD to do it just by howling at him.  He's about 110LBS.  I've been in a cage with some rescue Wolves and he is nowhere near their size in length or height.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 12:22:20 AM EDT
[#15]
So my question is, why was he robbing a trap?  That's against the law in most states.

Unless it was illegally set, the Forest Ranger was poaching.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 12:24:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
And to think that ancient man and real wolves teamed up way back in the olden days and became buddies.
View Quote
took some really big balls on the human, and more than a little restraint, patience, and understanding on the part of the wolf.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 12:44:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So my question is, why was he robbing a trap?  That's against the law in most states.

Unless it was illegally set, the Forest Ranger was poaching.
View Quote

Could be lots of reasons..they might require marked traps, could be out of season, could be the trapper was setting for a different species and got a wolf...we have released a couple moose and a few caribou out of a trappers sets that borders our lines..guy is a dipshit and just doesn't care..our F&G guys finally yanked his shit thank god..but it took way longer then it should have...
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 12:55:02 AM EDT
[#18]
I saw a wolf in captivity once up close. It was bigger than any dog I have ever seen.

As for domestic dogs and wolves being the same, the litmus test is the ability to bear fertile offspring which a cross between a dog and wolf can do I think. For purposes of debate, they are one in the same.

One aspect that hasn't been talked about here is their intelligence. They are extremely smart.  They have been observed to have reasoning skills and are able to predict the out come of complex problems. They are a brilliant hunting machine.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 1:02:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I love wolves. I'm 100% in support of repatriation across the U.S.
That said; they absolutely can, will and have hunted human beings for food.

A pack of them killed a few dozen people over a single winter in Paris a few centuries back, I've heard this is where werewolf lore started. In the 40s and 50s, Russians had their own version of the Tsavo lions with several generations of wolves. Supposedly, during WW2, some Nazis and Ruskies had to call a cease-fire to focus on killing some wolves that were fucking both sides up.

There's a reason wolves were seen as the boogyman for most of human history and were exterpated from most of their historic range. The only reason attacks are rare these days is because populations are tiny and 99.999% of people don't live anywhere near them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love wolves. I'm 100% in support of repatriation across the U.S.
That said; they absolutely can, will and have hunted human beings for food.

A pack of them killed a few dozen people over a single winter in Paris a few centuries back, I've heard this is where werewolf lore started. In the 40s and 50s, Russians had their own version of the Tsavo lions with several generations of wolves. Supposedly, during WW2, some Nazis and Ruskies had to call a cease-fire to focus on killing some wolves that were fucking both sides up.

There's a reason wolves were seen as the boogyman for most of human history and were exterpated from most of their historic range. The only reason attacks are rare these days is because populations are tiny and 99.999% of people don't live anywhere near them.

was during WW I, actually.  here's a clip from the New York Times, from 1917.  very interesting stuff:

Attachment Attached File

reddit link about above WWI account:
TIL During WWI, starving wolves amassed in such great numbers that Germans and Russians had a temporary cease fire to fight off the wolf attacks

more stories:
Kirov wolf attacks in USSR during WW II

interesting story of trapper Ben Cochrane killed in 1922:
Attachment Attached File

original newspaper clipping of above story:
Attachment Attached File

another interesting account of multiple people killed bya large group of wolves in Canada:
Attachment Attached File

not long ago, a 19 year old woman was killed by coyotes while hiking in Cape Breton Highlands Park in Canada:
Taylor Mitchell killed by coyotes
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 1:03:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Cite? I call BULLSHIT on the Soviets calling a mutual cease-fire with the Germans over some wolves.  The Soviets (particularly the Russians) fucking HATED the Germans for the atrocities the Wehrmacht and SS did to them.  That was a dirty, vulgar, nasty theater of war.
View Quote

cited in my post above @spartacus2002
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 1:50:12 AM EDT
[#21]
View Quote
You're going to kneecap the spinner while you and the dag make a break for it? 

Good plan.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 2:03:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I don't think we have wolves down here. I never knew they were that big
View Quote

Yes we do.   We have what is known as the Red Wolf.   I don’t what part of the state you are in.   I’m in Washington Parish.   The state turned some loss back in the 70s.   I don’t remember why, I think we had an over population of rabbits or something.    There is a pack that rooms from the western part of Washington Parish over into Tangipahoa Parish.   Ours are basically a strain of Easter Timber Wolf which are not very large.   They range from around 80-90lbs females, 110-120lbs males.

Wolf
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 2:17:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I had a wolf hybrid when I lived in MT and at 11 months old it was right at 120 lbs and when it stood up he placed his front paws on my shoulders and was taller than me. I'm 5'11".
View Quote

I have heard a lot about wolf hybrids and most say that above all else they are not overly willing to accept a human as an alpha. Is this true? What was your experience with them?
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 2:28:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I don't know what kind of wolves you've been looking at but they're sometimes found at over 140lbs. The largest on record is 175.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That thing could eat you.  Looks about 1/2 as big again as a typical German Shepard.

video

I don't know what kind of "German Shepherds" you've been looking at but my Bear (120 lbs.) is just as big.

I don't know what kind of wolves you've been looking at but they're sometimes found at over 140lbs. The largest on record is 175.
I had a 120 lb choc, Lab when he was a little fat, 112 normally. But that would be a small wolf, I have seen about 50 or 60 wolves in 40 years here but never got a shot at one, some were real monsters.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 9:07:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cite? I call BULLSHIT on the Soviets calling a mutual cease-fire with the Germans over some wolves.  The Soviets (particularly the Russians) fucking HATED the Germans for the atrocities the Wehrmacht and SS did to them.  That was a dirty, vulgar, nasty theater of war.

OK, in WWI I could see that happening.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 9:16:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

He sounds more King Shephard sized IMO, but of course you can always breed something that seriously strays from breed standards.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vet wasn't concerned. Funny, he doesn't look heavy (fat). He's just big...built like an artic wolf, not a timber wolf, kinda tall and lanky.

He sounds more King Shephard sized IMO, but of course you can always breed something that seriously strays from breed standards.
Yep. I had a BMC pup show up in the litter that grew outrageously faster than the overs and is now 121lbs. most of my males top out at no more than 90lbs. Had a BMC Catahoula cross that was 115 and all muscle. And he was a parvo survivor.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 9:22:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I don't know what kind of "German Shepherds" you've been looking at but my Bear (120 lbs.) is just as big.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That thing could eat you.  Looks about 1/2 as big again as a typical German Shepard.

video

No.

Not even close to the wolves around Yellowstone.

Think 160-180lbs, and twice the height and length.  

I have a large GSD, and I've skinned and supervised taxidermy on a three year old wolf.  I've had my dog right next to the mount.  

People have no idea how big they(ones transplanted here)really are.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 9:27:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I've owned and worked with GSDs since I was a teenager. I've always heard about these massive 120-150 pound dogs as big as a wolf, but they always seem to temporarily shrink to 90lbs when you put them on a scale.
The biggest GSD on record is 130.
View Quote

DDR lines of GSD's and King Shepherds can get larger.  My DDR line GSD at his highest was 130, he's 124 at last vet visit now.  His dad was 140ish.  My dog gets mistaken as a wolf all the time.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 9:33:09 AM EDT
[#29]
He should have brained that big fucker with a shovel a few times before releasing it.  Show it who's boss.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 10:21:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Good plan.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Good plan.

That's the plan..

I'm pretty fond of that 203 pounds of furry asshole...

My wife, not so much... good luck wolf..
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 12:26:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Didn't know they could be thought to howl on command like this either.  Seems friendly enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ayOA63bdiY
View Quote

There is a wolf sanctuary near us where the keepers can get them all howling and let me tell you it's a really, really eerie sound.  Makes the hair on the back of your  neck stand up.   They will only do it once or twice a day, though.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 1:18:18 PM EDT
[#32]

ETA: My buddies wolf dag. Not sure what percent but he's mostly wolf not dag. I'm 6'2" and my buddy towers over me. He is atleast 6'6" and well over 300lbs. 

I own/owned many mastiffs and ABs. Some mastiffs over 200lbs. Big dogs don't scare me one bit. This dog did. Something about him. He was not very playful or friendly with anyone other his owner. 
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 1:42:26 PM EDT
[#33]
View Quote

Back east, the Eastern Coyote or Coy Wolf can easily top 100 pounds and 70 pounds in about the norm.   A friend of mine traps nuisance animals for farmers and gets about 6 a year.  The pelts are huge.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 7:38:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 7:39:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Back east, the Eastern Coyote or Coy Wolf can easily top 100 pounds and 70 pounds in about the norm.   A friend of mine traps nuisance animals for farmers and gets about 6 a year.  The pelts are huge.
View Quote

That's a stretch on weight for the Coywolf, like a huge stretch.  The norm is under 50 pounds and I don't think anyone has shot, trapped, or tagged a coywolf that weighed over 100 pounds.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top